PDA

View Full Version : O'Leary has a go at Villa fans

OwlsFan
21/09/2005, 9:02 AM
That's right Dave. Turn the fans against you. Sure way to keep you job. Also interesting soundbite from the Wycombe manager blaming the ref for an 8-3 defeat. 7 goals in a second half - must be close to a record.

O'Leary hits out at 'fickle' fans

Wycombe 3-8 Aston Villa

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary has criticised the fans who booed his side midway through their biggest victory for more than 40 years.
Villa trailed 3-1 at half-time in their Carling Cup tie against League Two side Wycombe but recovered to win 8-3.

"There is a genuine bunch of fans and then there is a fickle mob who get on your back very quickly," said O'Leary.

"You have to let it go right over your head. Fans want you out one minute and to get a new contract the next."

Some Villa fans reacted angrily after seeing their side trail to goals from Nathan Tyson, Roger Johnson and Tommy Mooney, having earlier equalised through Steve Davis.

But goals from Milan Baros and James Milner made it 3-3, before a Craig Easton own goal, two from Gareth Barry and further strikes from Milner and Davis completed the win.

That fifth goal was not deserved - it was the goal that finished our team

Wycombe boss John Gorman
"We gave poor goals away and there were a few reminders at half time, a few things to be said," added O'Leary.

"In the end we ran out worthy winners and scored from good chances - I was very proud of them in the second half."

Wycombe manager John Gorman said Villa had not deserved to win so handsomely.

"We have embarrassed them into putting in a performance where they have embarrassed us. We made them play so well," said Gorman.

"The first half was no fluke. Everything we did was quality. And that fifth goal was not deserved.

"The referee gave them a penalty but he didn't book my player or send him off. Don't tell me that goal didn't matter. It was the goal that finished our team.

"It was a rubbish own goal and a deflected shot for the equaliser. They got the breaks. The scoreline was unjust in the end."

Junior
21/09/2005, 11:22 AM
no harm in telling the truth sometimes.

There are genuine true fans and there are fickle fans, every club has both. Fans can be soooooo sensitive at times!!

Lionel Ritchie
21/09/2005, 11:33 AM
Wycombe manager John Gorman ."...And that fifth goal was not deserved.

The referee gave them a penalty but he didn't book my player or send him off. Don't tell me that goal didn't matter. It was the goal that finished our team.

"It was a rubbish own goal and a deflected shot for the equaliser. They got the breaks. The scoreline was unjust in the end."

Hmmm ...a bit of clutching at the auld straws maybe. C'mon now John ...that's three of their goals you've poo poo-d. What went wrong for the other FIVE!?!? :D

drinkfeckarse
21/09/2005, 12:09 PM
Don't see anything wrong with him having a go. Find it quite refreshing actually. There's nobody more fickle than a football supporter at the end of the day...just ask Brian Kerr.

OwlsFan
21/09/2005, 12:46 PM
Don't see anything wrong with him having a go. Find it quite refreshing actually. There's nobody more fickle than a football supporter at the end of the day...just ask Brian Kerr.

It's biting the hand that feeds you that's why. If the fans turn against a manager he has no hope of keeping his job.

O'Leary was too quick in his previous job to have a go at players and give the media quotes which came back to haunt him. I don't think he's learned.

Junior
21/09/2005, 2:17 PM
Disagree - O'leary is a lot more low key these days compared ot his time at Leeds.

If they are not fickle fans then they have nothing to worry about. If they are then I think he has a valid point. They won 8-3 afterall.

Lim till i die
21/09/2005, 2:37 PM
If your team is losing 3-1 to a team three divisions below them at half time after you have taken the time on a Monday evening to travel to the game, pay to get in etc. then you are perfectly entitled to criticise end of. But then again asking David O'Leary not to be an arrogant, loudmouth, clown is asking him to turn against his very nature and is therefore probably not fair ;)

OwlsFan
21/09/2005, 4:21 PM
You're a fan of O'Leary's then :D ?