PDA

View Full Version : Scholl Out

Seanie
23/04/2002, 10:32 PM
Bayern Munich and German star Mehmet Scholl has ruled himself out of the World Cup.

World Cup woe
The 31-year-old informed national team coach Rudi Völler of his decision during a meeting in Munich today. Scholl, who has 36 caps to his name, also missed out on USA 94 and France 98 through injury.

Unlucky with injury
Scholl suffered an ankle injury in August which kept him out for four months. His return to fitness was then hampered by foot and back problems. "In light of my health situation, I will not be able to help Rudi Völler and the national team at the coming World Cup in Japan and Korea," Scholl said. "That is why I have taken this decision."

Decision makes sense
Völler had said he would give Scholl as long as possible to prove his fitness. "I was hoping till the end that Mehmet would get fit in time for the World Cup," he said. "At our meeting today in Munich he has explained to me his current situation. I regret his decision, but I must accept it because his motivation makes sense."

gustavo
24/04/2002, 12:48 AM
I can just see some taboid headline editor headlining that story with Scholl's out for summer:D

City Fan
24/04/2002, 10:54 AM
Scholl's out. Fine. Do you think it'll make that much difference to a national team that have always battled away regardless of the odds against them. Besides, Germany are an overrated, mediocre side anyway.

Éanna
24/04/2002, 2:14 PM
thats good news, Scholl is a talented player and is very important to the german team.

vlad
24/04/2002, 2:46 PM
Heard on Eurosport last night that Deisler is also a doubt to make the World Cup. That would be good news for us as he and Scholl are the major sources of creativity in the German team.

pete
24/04/2002, 3:51 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
I can just see some taboid headline editor headlining that story with Scholl's out for summer:D

When I saw the title of this thread though someone couldn't spell school. ;)

Germnas recent demise has a lot to do with Jeremies & Scholl missing in midfield. Scholl would have been certain starter so its good news for us.