PDA

View Full Version : Break - next season??

markf
19/09/2005, 1:50 PM
Arwe we having a break next June / July when the world Cup is on?

I heard this rumour over the weekend, anyone heard the same??

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 2:15 PM
Why would we need a break? Unless anyones called up, which lets face isn't gonna happen when Kerr can pick second rate 2 division footballers!

carrickharp
19/09/2005, 2:17 PM
We won't have to worry about the world cup next summer :(

Roverstillidie
19/09/2005, 2:20 PM
do FIFA not have a rule on this.
no pro ball on when the WC is happening?

ThatGuy
19/09/2005, 2:22 PM
When summer soccer was proposed it was said that there would be a break during the WC as far as I know.

harry crumb
19/09/2005, 2:31 PM
We had a break for the special olympics too and the fixture conjestion was a disaster.

Drumcondra Red
19/09/2005, 2:56 PM
Actually I think I remember something being said about one, I thik RTID is right!

thejollyrodger
19/09/2005, 3:07 PM
whats the talk of taking a break when the world cup is on ?? Our best player is just going to miss all the key games. The odds of us going must be surely decreasing. I dont know if I could be bothered watch soccer if Ireland isnt there.

Cosmo
19/09/2005, 3:10 PM
Surely Eircom league fans wont be made choose between supporting their team in Ireland or going to germany to support ireland :confused:

blutil
19/09/2005, 3:36 PM
Mr. Matthews can go on holidays for a couple of weeks :)

superfrank
19/09/2005, 3:52 PM
It wouldn't make much difference to real football fans here. Surely they'd go to the live league matches instead of watching, say, Chile and Togo??

mypost
19/09/2005, 3:53 PM
We had a break for the special olympics too and the fixture conjestion was a disaster.

But then, we had the disaster of the 4-rounds fixture fiasco. With that disasterous experiment binned, most clubs this season have their fixtures up-to-date, with just a couple of matches outstanding, and less congestion. :)

We won't need to take a break for the WC, and it would be good to play during the tournament, as it would entice more people to come out, and watch games.

pete
19/09/2005, 4:50 PM
If Ireland qualified there would definitely be a break. Ireland unliekly to qualify so don't think mill be much need. there will be agmes on every evening but its luck of the draw whether big games will clash with eL ko. I think for really big games that a lot of people would watch would need to move the games to prevent direct clash.

anto eile
20/09/2005, 1:21 PM
i wouldnt bother with a break.as id personally have no interest in the word cup-even if ireland qualified.
also hopefully the world cup will arouse more interest in football.clubs could latch onto that.that was the logic behind an mls decison a few years ago, they didnt bother with a break for the world cup so as to get bigger crowds of people who would otherwise not be so interested in football

superfrank
20/09/2005, 3:09 PM
i wouldnt bother with a break.as id personally have no interest in the word cup-even if ireland qualified.
also hopefully the world cup will arouse more interest in football.clubs could latch onto that.that was the logic behind an mls decison a few years ago, they didnt bother with a break for the world cup so as to get bigger crowds of people who would otherwise not be so interested in football
Well, did it work??