PDA

View Full Version : Derry given new lease of life in the title race

Poor Student
18/09/2005, 8:58 PM
Longford held Cork to a 0-0 draw. Am I the only one who finds this hilarious given how badly Cork fans take this result to this team? :D Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.

chippie0001
18/09/2005, 9:13 PM
Longford held Cork to a 0-0 draw. Am I the only one who finds this hilarious given how badly Cork fans take this result to this team? :D Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.

What I am worried about is both Rico and SK are bottle jobs. Can Shels come up the rails and catch both of the unawares. The thoughts of it just scares me.

Poor Student
18/09/2005, 9:23 PM
Kenny has done the business before, I wouldn't call him a bottle job. I don't think Shels have finished dropping points this season. I can't seem them climbing any higher.

RedX
18/09/2005, 9:26 PM
What I am worried about is both Rico and SK are bottle jobs. Can Shels come up the rails and catch both of the unawares. The thoughts of it just scares me.

Definetly worst case scenario there.. :eek:

I heard Alan Mathews was seen drinking Champagne in the dressing room after the match.. ;)

TheOwl
18/09/2005, 9:37 PM

Especially as if that happened we would win the league in your back-yard, with one of the ex-Bohs lads scoring the winner?? Oh how we would laugh!

We are playing great stuff at the moment (all stemming from the lack of Richie Baker or David Crawley in the team), and we could really rack up the points before the end of the season.

We have left ourselves with far too much to do though, so don’t worry, we could easily catch one of them though if either has a poor run-in

A face
18/09/2005, 10:12 PM
I heard Alan Mathews was seen drinking Champagne in the dressing room after the match.. ;)

That sounds like him alright ..... great for Irish football he is !!

Sure Longford fans will put up with anything in fairness !!

RonnieB
18/09/2005, 11:30 PM
***total Football*** ;)

mypost
19/09/2005, 2:19 AM
Derry and Cork now level on points with Cork having a game in hand and better goal difference. Derry still have their work cut out but at least the league has a tight and intriguing race as we near the season's end. We can only hope both teams can take the title when they face on the last day. What a spectacle that would make.

Wouldn't be much of a spectacle, because if it came to a winner-takes-all showdown in Cork in November, then as sure as eggs are eggs Cork, with the home advantage, will win it. Derry will have to win it before they go down there, if they are to win it at all.

I still don't think it will come to that. Derry have been struggling lately, and Cork are the better side of the two. It's still in Cork's hands, and I can't see them losing the title at this stage, and I'm sure they would like to win it at Waterford, sending their neighbours down while they do it.

patsh
19/09/2005, 7:03 AM
He was. What a magnificent result for Longford, fair play to them.
He managed to stop City score at his home ground, the result he said he was hoping for.
They are rumours that Longford are actually aiming to launch an attack at an opposition goal over the next few weeks!

manic da hoop
19/09/2005, 8:35 AM
[QUOTE=mypost]Wouldn't be much of a spectacle, because if it came to a winner-takes-all showdown in Cork in November, then as sure as eggs are eggs Cork, with the home advantage, will win it. Derry will have to win it before they go down there, if they are to win it at all.
[QUOTE]

I'm sure no Cork fan here needs reminding of that famous final day tussle between themselves and Dundalk at Turners Cross back in 1991. Cork only needed to draw, Dundalk had to win...up steps a little Scot and the proverbial hits the fan for City!

Krstic
19/09/2005, 8:36 AM
Derry have been struggling lately

Yes, unbeaten in 20 games. I hope we struggle like this for the rest of the season :confused:

Pablo
19/09/2005, 8:38 AM
They are rumours that Longford are actually aiming to launch an attack at an opposition goal over the next few weeks!

surely not! the altitude could be fatal!

ThatGuy
19/09/2005, 9:04 AM
Kenny has done the business before, I wouldn't call him a bottle job. I don't think Shels have finished dropping points this season. I can't seem them climbing any higher.
When under pressure at Bohs Kenny tended to bottle it.

FAI Cup Final against Dundalk in 2002, that game was a gimme. Completely bottled it.

In 2003 Bohs were top of the league with 4 games to go. We lost 3 and drew the other one of the 4 games.

2004 Levadia Talinn.

The only

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 9:31 AM
So what Cork fans are saying is that the worst tactics you can deploy are the ones that prevent the other team scoring.BTW having seen both Cork and Derry in the last few weeks i think Derry are the better side.

patsh
19/09/2005, 9:36 AM
I see all those Cork idiots who were at the game last night are giving us their incredible knowledge on the game went last night.Apparently the worst tactics you can deploy are the ones that prevent the other team scoring.BTW having seen both Cork and Derry in the last few weeks i think Derry are the better side.
And the Longford idiots who cream themselves over a nil-all draw where their own team don't even attempt to score really shows that they know all about football....:rolleyes:

EDIT:
Interesting to see the Longford fan edited his post. Glad I had quoted him in time....:rolleyes:

ThatGuy
19/09/2005, 9:37 AM
Having seen Derry 3 times and Cork twice, I have to say that Cork are easily the best team that I have seen play Bohs this year.

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 10:11 AM
And the Longford idiots who cream themselves over a nil-all draw where their own team don't even attempt to score really shows that they know all about football....:rolleyes:

EDIT:
Interesting to see the Longford fan edited his post. Glad I had quoted him in time....:rolleyes:

I'm not happy with the 0-0 draw as i think the game was there to be won so although it'd not a disaster i would consider it another missed opportunity.Can you explain to me so the several attempts we had on the Cork goal.Now unless i'm mistaken a shot on goal is an attempt to score.You will find that a lot of teams try to do this,shoot to score it's common knowledge.

I edited my post because it just didn't sound right.

Longfordian
19/09/2005, 10:35 AM
You see what ye want to see. City not destroying somebody= their negative tactics. I thought we played quite well last night and had a few chances to win it, definitely didnt feel we were packing the defence, just that our midfield was good at getting back to help out the defence. We had a fair bit of the possession, we need a bit of a cutting edge though. So do Cork by the looks of things too, John O'Flynn is half the player he once was imo. Still good mind you. Fenn didn't look interested either.

patsh
19/09/2005, 10:41 AM
I'm not happy with the 0-0 draw as i think the game was there to be won so although it'd not a disaster i would consider it another missed opportunity.
Well somebody should tell your "manager" that.
He seems more than happy with a scoreless draw at home, and in comments to the press before the game, said all we wanted to do was to stop City from scoring.
Why doesn't he make statements like "I want Longford to go out and score and win the game" instead of getting petty digs in at Rico who rightly pointed out the downside of matthews approach to the game.
Plenty of you seem happy to grind out results, but it's not only City fans who think Longford under Matthews are negative and suffocating, even Longford fans are staying away in their droves.

thejollyrodger
19/09/2005, 10:56 AM
If Shelbourne make second it will be a remarkable season. 1st is a bit of a pipedream IMHO

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 11:06 AM
Well somebody should tell your "manager" that.
He seems more than happy with a scoreless draw at home, and in comments to the press before the game, said all we wanted to do was to stop City from scoring.
Why doesn't he make statements like "I want Longford to go out and score and win the game" instead of getting petty digs in at Rico who rightly pointed out the downside of matthews approach to the game.
Plenty of you seem happy to grind out results, but it's not only City fans who think Longford under Matthews are negative and suffocating, even Longford fans are staying away in their droves.

It's obvious that Alan's mindset of management is defensive based but as an understudy to Keeley what else would you expect.But it has won us 3 trophies in 2 years and no LTFC fan in their wildest dreams would ever have dreamed that.I mightn't always agree with his tactics but he is the manager of our team so i will support him and that's it.BTW we don't play negative in every game but some games Alan deploys tactics to avoid defeat and 1 point is better than none.

razor
19/09/2005, 11:31 AM
Not overly bothered by the result.
Longford were always going to be backs to the wall to prevent us from scoring and they succeeded, they are not 4th for nothing I guess.
Our lads were bound to be a bit jaded. Prague was tough going.
Next league games see us at home to UCD and Shels going to Derry so we could see some other interesting outcomes here.

pete
19/09/2005, 12:27 PM
Horrible game, terrible crowd & cold as feck. Longford calls for return to winter football are a bit bizarre as if cold in september will be bloody freezing in the depths of winter.

Poor hoofball tactics by Longford but eventually we resorted to the same tactics. In hindsight i think an effort to get behind the Longford bus before they parked the bus. We never looked like losing the game though.

I am concerned by our inability to score goals now. I have doubts if O'Flynn will ever score again for rest of the season. I also understand how Longford don't score many goals as forwards are a lot worse than ours.

Greg O'Halloran was my MOTM.

Still top of the league with 1 game in hand isn't bad place to be.

If Shels beat Derry could be extremely close end to season. The team that wins the games against the other top 3 may win the league similar to Irelands World Cup qualifying group.

patsh
19/09/2005, 12:43 PM
Rather than concentrating on the same old humdrum $hite you've been spewing this last few months
I'm glad you have realised your problem at long, long last....

paudie
19/09/2005, 1:22 PM
I'm sure no Cork fan here needs reminding of that famous final day tussle between themselves and Dundalk at Turners Cross back in 1991. Cork only needed to draw, Dundalk had to win...up steps a little Scot and the proverbial hits the fan for City![/QUOTE]

I'm almost 100% certain that if the game had been drawn there would have been a playoff as the teams were level on points.

patsh
19/09/2005, 1:58 PM
I am concerned by our inability to score goals now. I have doubts if O'Flynn will ever score again for rest of the season.
Don't understand why Bruton wasn't given a run, he couldn't have been any worse than Flynnie and might have been better.

manic da hoop
19/09/2005, 2:08 PM
I'm almost 100% certain that if the game had been drawn there would have been a playoff as the teams were level on points.

Thought Cork were one point ahead going into the game.

Nothing quite beats the day Bohs blew the title needing just a point when "guess who" snatches a winner for Dundalk (who had nothing to play for). The title did go to a legendary play-off that year which Cork duly won, having finished level on points with Shels and Bohs. don't care who wins it this year aslong as Shels stay well out of it, but a final-day showdown at the Cross would make for a fitting end to the season.

dortie
19/09/2005, 3:10 PM
I still don't think it will come to that. Derry have been struggling lately, and Cork are the better side of the two. It's still in Cork's hands, and I can't see them losing the title at this stage, and I'm sure they would like to win it at Waterford, sending their neighbours down while they do it.

And how exactly have we been struggling ??? Final of league cup, quarters of FAI, 2nd in league ?
And for what its worth we have a decent record in Turners cross !!

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 3:35 PM
Derry have been struggling lately, and Cork are the better side of the two. It's still in Cork's hands, and I can't see them losing the title at this stage, and I'm sure they would like to win it at Waterford, sending their neighbours down while they do it.

I wish LTFC could struggle like Derry City,the most in form team in the league.

pete
19/09/2005, 4:48 PM
I was thinking during the game that Rico needed to make a chamge but Behan wasn't available. Bringing Bruton on would not have changed things & becoming impossible to play through Longford & longballs were only option.

We are top of the league because of our away form & mean defense. Our strength is when we take the lead in games are rarely pegged back but we still need to score goals to win matches.

Longfordian
19/09/2005, 4:53 PM
I though Murray and Coughlan were good, Murray has impressed me whenever I've seen him live. Your defence is very very tight, ours isn't too shabby either. 0-0 wasn't all that surprising really

mypost
19/09/2005, 5:19 PM
And how exactly have we been struggling ??? Final of league cup, quarters of FAI, 2nd in league ?
And for what its worth we have a decent record in Turners cross !!

TC is a fortress, you have already lost there this season, and very few teams win there, only one this season. I can't see Derry winning there if they needed to, to win the league.

Yes, you have struggled lately. You've dropped 2 points to Bray, Pats, and Drogheda in the last few weeks, the kind of games you need to win, to win the league. Cork don't do that. If you had collected 9 points from them instead of 3, you would have been in a very strong position. As it is now, Cork are a better side who have been through all this before, are top of the league with a game in hand, and have yous at home on the last day, so I can't see them throwing it away.

pete
19/09/2005, 5:25 PM
I would think that considering Derry City are level but one game extra played would settle for last day showdown of winner takes all?

Éanna
19/09/2005, 7:25 PM
don't see what's so hilarious about it. we didn't play well. instead of playing football, we allowed longfor to drag us down to their level and we started hoofing it. the sad thing is that on the few occasions longford actually started passing it, they looked very good- further proof that matthews is holding them back. still, we got the point we needed to go back on top, despite not playing well, and therefore the result is something to be happy about. that said, it was possibly the worst game of "football" I've ever seen.

harry crumb
19/09/2005, 9:35 PM
Come on...

"worst game of football you've ever seen"

No way

Éanna
19/09/2005, 10:10 PM
oh yes. it certainly was

hoopy
20/09/2005, 6:13 AM
If Shelbourne make second it will be a remarkable season. 1st is a bit of a pipedream IMHO

For who? If you mean Shels you must be having a laugh. The wages your players and numerous coaches(what a waste) get and you think finishing second and not getting to a Cup final is 'remarkable' :confused:

Wiseguy
20/09/2005, 9:03 AM
I was thinking during the game that Rico needed to make a chamge but Behan wasn't available. Bringing Bruton on would not have changed things & becoming impossible to play through Longford & longballs were only option.

We are top of the league because of our away form & mean defense. Our strength is when we take the lead in games are rarely pegged back but we still need to score goals to win matches.

What impressed me most was the fact that not only do you try and play football but when you didn't have the ball you closed down players and space and made it difficult for us to try and play and i think that has stood you well in Europe.On the down side you didn't seem to have a plan B when we smoothered the game to stop you playing and you need a goalscorer like ourselves.The game was no classic but the two defences were very impressive and some of the Kirby-Kearney tussles were funny.

paudie
20/09/2005, 9:05 AM
I wish LTFC could struggle like Derry City,the most in form team in the league.

By what criteria are Derry the most "in form" team in the league, a title not worth having if there ever was one.

Surely Shels are the most in form team in the league over the last say 5 league games, with them having won them all and everything.

Over the season so far surely Cork City are the most in form team since we've the same number of points as Derry from fewer games.

Wiseguy
20/09/2005, 9:11 AM
By what criteria are Derry the most "in form" team in the league, a title not worth having if there ever was one.

Surely Shels are the most in form team in the league over the last say 5 league games, with them having won them all and everything.

Over the season so far surely Cork City are the most in form team since we've the same number of points as Derry from fewer games.

Maybe i should have worded it better but they haven't lost a game in their last 20 where as city & shels have so they are one of the most in form teams in the league.

MariborKev
20/09/2005, 9:36 AM
If we take the last ten games

Cork City: 23 points

Derry City: 24 points

Shelbourne: 20 points

Krstic
20/09/2005, 9:46 AM
On top of Maribors' stats, the fact that we are still in contention for all 3 trophies, would give you the indication that we are 'In Form'.

And it certainly dispells 'myposts' theory that Derry are 'Struggling'.

As I've said previously, I hope we struggle like this 'till the end of the season :D

Éanna
20/09/2005, 10:41 AM
You've not been watching football very long then ........sorry for having a different opinion :rolleyes:

Roverstillidie
20/09/2005, 11:23 AM
On top of Maribors' stats, the fact that we are still in contention for all 3 trophies, would give you the indication that we are 'In Form'.

And it certainly dispells 'myposts' theory that Derry are 'Struggling'.

As I've said previously, I hope we struggle like this 'till the end of the season :D

i did laugh out loud when i read you were struggling. its been a terrible season for the poor nordies!! :D

but i do think derry should concentrate on the league. you dont have the squad for a three pronged attack on the trophies. starting saturday you should play kids and reserve players in the cups!!!

see yiz saturday to discuss it further over a foaming ale!!

mypost
20/09/2005, 12:05 PM
If we take the last 6 games

Derry City: 12/18 points

You've only won 3 of them. If you had taken those extra six points or even four, you would be in a very strong position. Dropping points to the likes of Bray, Drogheda, and Pats is going to end up costing you the league, in my opinion.

Speranza
20/09/2005, 2:29 PM
I disagree about not having the squad. For the first time this season Gareth MCGlynn has been playing reularly and scored 3 in 2. IMO we have two sets of midfielders both of equal quality. I am starting to gather confidence and I think we will take 2 of the 3 trophies on offer, starting tonight!

paudie
20/09/2005, 2:34 PM
If we take the last ten games

Cork City: 23 points

Derry City: 24 points

Shelbourne: 20 points

And I'm sure you'd get a different result if you took the last 11 or 13 or 18 games.

My point is that calling a team "in form" means very little and usually is just used to pad out an article.

I'm not saying that Derry aren't "in form", if you like the title that much :D

Roverstillidie
20/09/2005, 2:42 PM
I disagree about not having the squad. For the first time this season Gareth MCGlynn has been playing reularly and scored 3 in 2. IMO we have two sets of midfielders both of equal quality. I am starting to gather confidence and I think we will take 2 of the 3 trophies on offer, starting tonight!
my post was the most tongue in cheek ever. :rolleyes:
think about it for a second!!!
and which trophy will you drop?