PDA

View Full Version : City vs Longford

Pages : [1] 2

ccfcgirl
18/09/2005, 6:47 PM
Started at 7 o clock still o-o.Come on City.

colm3012
18/09/2005, 7:20 PM
latest score?

ccfcgirl
18/09/2005, 7:22 PM
still o-o .Around 50 City fans at the game .City are on top . Coughlan in for Benno (rested)and Greg in For Murphy (suspended)

colm3012
18/09/2005, 7:26 PM
thanks is there a site for live scores?

ccfcgirl
18/09/2005, 7:29 PM
Aertel (but not the best) Still o-o . Cork Citys official website will keep you up-dated.

colm3012
18/09/2005, 7:30 PM
thanks just on the city site forum now

ccfcgirl
18/09/2005, 7:37 PM
Come on City

Rebal Boy
18/09/2005, 7:51 PM
0-0 is a result. Dam it anyway. Derry are laughing at us now I bet.

Bosco
18/09/2005, 9:51 PM
Not a great game,city were by far the better team in the first half but dropped back in the second half.Btw there was way more then 5o city fans at it.One city fan was argueing with a steward at half time,just wondering if any of ye heard anything about it?He was fairly ****ed off

patsh
19/09/2005, 8:02 AM
0-0 is a result. Dam it anyway. Derry are laughing at us now I bet.
No surprise.
The Longford "manager" is ecstatic with this result, it's what he wanted.

joeSoap
19/09/2005, 8:21 AM
No surprise.
The Longford "manager" is ecstatic with this result, it's what he wanted.I think its fair to say that any manager outside of the top 3 in any league would be ecstatic with a draw against the league leaders and hot favourites. :confused:

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 8:55 AM
No surprise.
The Longford "manager" is ecstatic with this result, it's what he wanted.
So what,that's over 300 minutes of football played and ye still haven't scored against us.

patsh
19/09/2005, 9:00 AM
So what,that's over 300 minutes of football played and ye still haven't scored against us.
Amazing, isn't it, that Longford fans seem to think games against Cork City only started after the second round of league games and an LC game.
They never mention all the times we have beaten them home and away over the last few seasons, or that we have already beaten them in Flancare this season.
Lets all get a selective memory.......
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 9:05 AM
Amazing, isn't it, that Longford fans seem to think games against Cork City only started after the second round of league games and an LC game.
They never mention all the times we have beaten them home and away over the last few seasons, or that we have already beaten them in Flancare this season.
No i remember those results along with the ones where we beat Cork 4 - 1 in the league and dumped you out of the FAI cup on your own ground.Not bad for Part-timers :D

Macy
19/09/2005, 9:09 AM
So what your saying is that we're doing better now we're tightening up against you? That's an absolute disgraceful way to go about things.... :rolleyes:

patsh
19/09/2005, 9:40 AM
No i remember those results along with the ones where we beat Cork 4 - 1 in the league and dumped you out of the FAI cup on your own ground.Not bad for Part-timers :D

Ahh, the plucky little part-timers, what heroes they all are...

patsh
19/09/2005, 9:44 AM
So what your saying is that we're doing better now we're tightening up against you? That's an absolute disgraceful way to go about things.... :rolleyes:
Whats this?
SHOCK HORROR!
Macy actually addressing the content of a post?

Sure thats what football is all about. Stop the opposition from scoring and nothing else.:rolleyes:

You go on deluding yourself about that the sh*te that your "manager" churns out week in, week out.
It's quite obvious that many, many people in Longford aren't deluded anymore, and are staying well away from it.

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 9:44 AM
Ahh, the plucky little part-timers, what heroes they all are...
I'm glad you think so to because in my eyes they are all heroes.I hope they all have a nice day at work today and that they know we are all thinking about them.

patsh
19/09/2005, 9:46 AM
I'm glad you think so to because in my eyes they are all heroes.I hope they all have a nice day at work today and that they know we are all thinking about them.
Good to know they have jobs.
Becuase they will never make it as footballers....:p

Ronnie
19/09/2005, 9:49 AM
Come on Patsh - the two best defenses played against each other last night and ends up 0-0. No great shock there. While its disappointing for City, our inability to score is legenedary - look at the Wateford game two weeks ago, we needed about 12 clear cut chances to score 3 goals, while Shels could score 5 in 49 minutes! Your defence was not going give us too many chances to score and so it panned out, thus were happy enough with the draw. No more no less.

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 9:53 AM
Whats this?
SHOCK HORROR!
Macy actually addressing the content of a post?

You go on deluding yourself about that the sh*te that your "manager" churns out week in, week out.
It's quite obvious that many, many people in Longford aren't deluded anymore, and are staying well away from it.

What position are you in to comment about this.You don't go every Longford game so you have no idea what goes on at them.I'm beginning to think you don't even go to every Cork game.The fact is that we play good football in some games and poor football in others but i leave a match much happier after getting a result than losing and playing well.It's results that count in football not putting 20 passes together and getting nowhere.

coislaoi
19/09/2005, 10:00 AM

I have no axe to grind with Longford and am not concerned about how other teams play. I'm only concerned about how my own team plays.

However, here is a look at the stats from the league v Longford this season.

Results: Longford Town 0 Cork City 1
Cork City 0 Longord Town 0
Longford Town 0 Cork City 0

Cork City 5 points, Longford 2 points. We had to play you twice away from home and you couldn't score against us.

I hope you guys push on to reach third. From my perspective the more provincial teams that do well the better for the league in general.

Peadar
19/09/2005, 10:37 AM
I hope you guys push on to reach third. From my perspective the more provincial teams that do well the better for the league in general.

Not a hope!
They'll make a show of the league in Europe again! :mad:

harry crumb
19/09/2005, 10:44 AM
Longford need a scoring forward.

Dessie Baker will not get into double figures. Andy Myler is not a No. 9 either.

What happened to Shane Barrett?

patsh
19/09/2005, 10:46 AM
Come on Patsh - the two best defenses played against each other last night and ends up 0-0. No great shock there. While its disappointing for City, our inability to score is legenedary - look at the Wateford game two weeks ago, we needed about 12 clear cut chances to score 3 goals, while Shels could score 5 in 49 minutes! Your defence was not going give us too many chances to score and so it panned out, thus were happy enough with the draw. No more no less.
Why should you be happy with a nil-all draw at home?
Should you not be just as disappointed as us, especially when our side was fairly tired?
Matthews has done a great job at dampening your expectations...

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 10:48 AM
I think 3rd is a bridge to far for us especially as we can't seem to score goals.As far as embarrasing the league in Europe again goes i don't accept that the result against Vaduz was a disgrace.They are a better team than they have been given credit for but the Carmarthen result was a real let down and believe me nobody was more annoyed or upset than ourselves but we've all had bad nights in Europe and i for one would like the chance to put it right again.
I do think it a breath of fresh air for the league that Cork, Derry & Longford are doing so well as it has been so Dublin dominated it was becoming annoying.
For the record i actually like CCFC as they play the game the right way and most of their fans are sound but a select few have a serious issue with Longford and kick us at every chance they get but i find annoying as they know nothing about LTFC so there are times when i would like to see it go tits up for Cork just to shut those fools up but should ye go on to win the league then i will be delighted for most City fans.

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 10:50 AM
Longford need a scoring forward.

Dessie Baker will not get into double figures. Andy Myler is not a No. 9 either.

What happened to Shane Barrett?

Barrett broke his eye socket in Waterford but he was out warming up before the match last night so i'd say it's only a matter of time before he's back.

Macy
19/09/2005, 10:53 AM
Should you not be just as disappointed as us, especially when our side was fairly tired?
You're full time, top of the league and we've had a terrible record against you in recent seasons. I really don't see why this is difficult to grasp, and why you don't take it as a positive to the standing of your team rather than always the negative on ours.

If we went open and attacking you'd probably win, if we play tight and try and nick it we can get at least a point. It's good tatics from our point of view, particularly given your inability to break teams down that play this tatic against you several times already this season.

For an experienced football watcher to continue to fail to grasp this is bizarre.

Wiseguy
19/09/2005, 10:58 AM

I know i am a disapointed with the result.The game was there to be won and we just couldn't do it.Matthews should have made a change up front mid way through the half as i feel that was the stage where if either team had scored they would have went on to win it.I think Alan will be more p1ssed about it than people think or he makes out but it can't be denied that it was a job well done even if we didn't win and i couldn't fault the effort of the players no more than Rico could fault his players.
At the end of the day it was a draw and it was a fair result.From our point of view it was a clean sheet without 2 of our 1st choice defenders and without our 1st choice keeper against the league leaders so you have to try and look on the positive side.

patsh
19/09/2005, 12:04 PM
You're full time, top of the league and we've had a terrible record against you in recent seasons. I really don't see why this is difficult to grasp, and why you don't take it as a positive to the standing of your team rather than always the negative on ours.

If we went open and attacking you'd probably win, if we play tight and try and nick it we can get at least a point. It's good tatics from our point of view, particularly given your inability to break teams down that play this tatic against you several times already this season.

For an experienced football watcher to continue to fail to grasp this is bizarre.

You cannot continue on with this "we are only a small club" attitude forever.

Longford are 4th in the league, on a fairly good run, except for the Derry game, there were 11 against 11 on that pitch last night, you were at home, you lot were fresher, and as Giles always says, you must take each gam on it's merits.
Longford have some excellent players, train as hard as any other team and are very fit, and for them to be hopin to "nick it" or settle for a point, shows a total lack of belief and faith in the ability of the players that the manager sends out on to the pitch.

At what point in the future will your manager believe you can win against Cork City?
What must happen for this to come about?

As "an experienced football watcher to continue to fail to grasp this is bizarre" and shows that you believe or have been duped by Matthews small-time attitude. Professionalism is a state of mind, not how much you earn or how you earn it.

BTW, I'll say it for the 1,000th time, I have no problem with LTFC, but I despise you manager and his negative, whiny, small-time attitude to our league and to football.

aIr BaNd!
19/09/2005, 12:12 PM
Well at least we don't bottle it against welsh part-timers in european games like what Longball town did.That was a disgrace in Wales.Forget Longball town and worry about our next game in the cup on Friday against Sligo Rovers.

kevincronin2000
19/09/2005, 12:24 PM
Was in longford last night and a few things crossed my mind about this "small club"

1. they have one of the best stadia in the league. (imo 3rd after the x and dalymount)

2. they have some exellent players and a current u-21 international with cork city they are the only el team to have u-21 internationals at the moment.

3.there support is never going to be massive due to the population in the area, but take there attandance as a percentage of the population they probbabbly have one of the best in the league.

4.Nice bar in the ground (even if no drink, i presume due to not having a licence yet) This has the potential to increase revenue for the club.

5.They currently lie fourth in the league.

they are not a small club
they just have a very negetive manager who just happens to be an @sshole

Ronnie
19/09/2005, 12:33 PM
As the number of chances we had was so few, I'm happy with a draw. Before the game I wanted 3 points, but we weren't able to break your defence down ENOUGH times to score - as I said previously we take a small proportion of chances created. UCD put us out of the cup cause we could only score 1 goal from at least 7 or 8 very good chances - they scored 2 goals from 3 maybe 4 good chances. We didn't play defensively, we just couldn't put the bloody ball in the net. Last night we couldn't create enough chances , was that not also down to your teams ability to restrict our chances to a minimum. Give your own team some credit here, they defended well, as they have done all season, and so did we, a sight better than we managed in Derry.

patsh
19/09/2005, 12:39 PM
Was in longford last night and a few things crossed my mind about this "small club"

1. they have one of the best stadia in the league. (imo 3rd after the x and dalymount)

2. they have some exellent players and a current u-21 international with cork city they are the only el team to have u-21 internationals at the moment.

3.there support is never going to be massive due to the population in the area, but take there attandance as a percentage of the population they probbabbly have one of the best in the league.

4.Nice bar in the ground (even if no drink, i presume due to not having a licence yet) This has the potential to increase revenue for the club.

they just have a very negetive manager who just happens to be an @sshole
Sums up my attitude about Longford perfectly, except there crowds could be bigger, and I think Matthews attitude to the game is the reason for keeping some of them away.

Ronnie
19/09/2005, 12:56 PM
Patsh, give it a rest - I don't believe you were there last night. Now I have only seen City "live" 5 times this season, twice in Flancare, against Derry, last Thursday, and the Djugardens game. Now you scored 2 goals in those 5 matches, lost 2, drew 2 and won 1. Does that give me the right to call you a bad side? Based on 5 matches no way! Likewise if you have only see us play a couple of times this season you are in no position to comment on our ambition.

fosterdollar
19/09/2005, 1:17 PM
Except there crowds could be bigger.
I think all our crowds could be bigger. But as a comparison between CCFC and LTFC, for instance ;) , we get 800-900 average out of a town populated by around 8,000 people whereas CCFC average at 3,500-4,000 or so (i'm not very well up on these figures, correct me if i'm wrong) out of a city of over 120,000 people with a further 60,000 in the direct suburbs. The %ages there would suggest LTFC are outperforming you guys. :eek: (in this area, at least...)

patsh
19/09/2005, 1:17 PM
Patsh, give it a rest - I don't believe you were there last night. Now I have only seen City "live" 5 times this season, twice in Flancare, against Derry, last Thursday, and the Djugardens game. Now you scored 2 goals in those 5 matches, lost 2, drew 2 and won 1. Does that give me the right to call you a bad side? Based on 5 matches no way! Likewise if you have only see us play a couple of times this season you are in no position to comment on our ambition.
Where did I say Longford were a "bad side"?
I've said on many posts that you have some great players up there, including a few that I would love to see at City.
Read my posts properly, I "complain" about the attitude of the Longford manager to the the league, to football and to his own players.

coislaoi
19/09/2005, 1:33 PM
Where did I say Longford were a "bad side"?
I've said on many posts that you have some great players up there, including a few that I would love to see at City.
Read my posts properly, I "complain" about the attitude of the Longford manager to the the league, to football and to his own players.

Fair enough and I understand where you are coming from but your posts do tend to read as very anti-Longford (fans, players & manager). I'm not a great fan of Matthews either. I don't think he really believes in his players.

patsh
19/09/2005, 1:51 PM
Fair enough and I understand where you are coming from but your posts do tend to read as very anti-Longford (fans, players & manager). I'm not a great fan of Matthews either. I don't think he really believes in his players.
My posts are not anti-Longford, I'm anti-Matthews becuase of his appalling attitude to this league, his own players and the way he approaches games.
If anyone reads them propely they would see that.
However, there are a few Longford fans who just get up on their high horse immediately. I'm not the only one who says that Matthews has his team playing negative, sterile tactics, many fans from different clubs see and comment on those same "tactics", yet there is never a debate on this, it's all just "we are a small club" "were you at the game" "we are a small club" "you are another Cork idiot" yadda, yadda, yadda, in reply.

I'm not posting anymore on this now, it pointless when Longford fans will talk about anything except the points that are being made.

Éanna
19/09/2005, 7:37 PM
One city fan was argueing with a steward at half time,just wondering if any of ye heard anything about it?He was fairly ****ed off
That was me. There were some Longford fans in the City section, and they kept shouting over City chants and they were bugging the crap out of me. So I went down to the steward and asked him why they were being allowed in our section. His reply was to say that there was no segregation and there was no need for it. When I pointed out to him that there should be an away fans section, he got very sarcastic and said that Longford only had segregation for "big games" and then "go tell the secretary, fair play to ya." Ignorant fool. I'll be getting onto the FAI about it. Between that and being charged €3 for a free programme, being made take flags down after putting them up in the same place we always put them (prime viewing area for home fans apparently :rolleyes: ) and the obnoxiuous behaviour of the main stand- the only noise they made was to abuse Rico. To say nothing of the "football" on show. I was disgusted with LTFC as an entity last night, I really was.

Éanna
19/09/2005, 7:38 PM

they just have a very negetive manager who just happens to be an @ssholespot on

Bosco
19/09/2005, 10:45 PM
Im after writing a long reply to ya but my computer frooze,so expect it tomorow

Wiseguy
20/09/2005, 9:26 AM
That was me. There were some Longford fans in the City section, and they kept shouting over City chants and they were bugging the crap out of me. So I went down to the steward and asked him why they were being allowed in our section. His reply was to say that there was no segregation and there was no need for it. When I pointed out to him that there should be an away fans section, he got very sarcastic and said that Longford only had segregation for "big games" and then "go tell the secretary, fair play to ya." Ignorant fool. I'll be getting onto the FAI about it. Between that and being charged €3 for a free programme, being made take flags down after putting them up in the same place we always put them (prime viewing area for home fans apparently :rolleyes: ) and the obnoxiuous behaviour of the main stand- the only noise they made was to abuse Rico. To say nothing of the "football" on show. I was disgusted with LTFC as an entity last night, I really was.

I'm sorry to hear that your visit was a bad one.You shouldn't pass to much heed on what other fans are saying/singing to you.We don't have segregation for your games because there has never been any trouble at them.There were Cork fans sitting in front of me in the Stand getting on my tits but it's a football match so i just accept it.The Steward should have been more polite and unless your flags were blocking somebodies view you should have been let put them where you like.How you paid €3 for a free programme which even if it wasn't free only costs €2 is beyond me.All you had to do was pick it up on your way in the gate.I would defo get on to the club about that one.As for Rico getting abuse,all was quiet until he got out of his pram and started at the Ref.Rico is hated down here because of his comments about the club and i'm sure Pat Fenelon gets it at the cross so abuse is to be expected.Also, unless i'm mistaken i could hear the chant " Alan Matthews,your a w4nker,your a w4nker " coming from the city fans so as they say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Éanna
20/09/2005, 10:49 AM
I'm sorry to hear that your visit was a bad one.I've had worse, don't worry about it!

We don't have segregation for your games because there has never been any trouble at them.I know there hasn't been trouble, and there's unlikely to be, but the bottom line is that clubs should have a designated section for away fans- not having one is amateur IMO.

How you paid €3 for a free programme which even if it wasn't free only costs €2 is beyond me.beyond me as well!

As for Rico getting abuse,all was quiet until he got out of his pram and started at the Ref.Rico is hated down here because of his comments about the club and i'm sure Pat Fenelon gets it at the cross so abuse is to be expected.Also, unless i'm mistaken i could hear the chant " Alan Matthews,your a w4nker,your a w4nker " coming from the city fans so as they say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Its not the fact that they were giving the manager abuse that got on my nerves, that happens at most football grounds. What annoyed me was that there was hardly a peep out of the crowd for the rest of the night. I mean, if you're going to make noise, make noise for your team! As for the Matthews song- it was a statement of fact.

Wiseguy
20/09/2005, 11:43 AM
I know there hasn't been trouble, and there's unlikely to be, but the bottom line is that clubs should have a designated section for away fans- not having one is amateur IMO.

Its not the fact that they were giving the manager abuse that got on my nerves, that happens at most football grounds. What annoyed me was that there was hardly a peep out of the crowd for the rest of the night. I mean, if you're going to make noise, make noise for your team! As for the Matthews song- it was a statement of fact.

I fully agree with you on the away fans issue.Every ground should have a seperate entrance,seperate toilets,seperate chipper van and a good location to watch the game not tucked away is some corner.Also,away fans should be able to pay at the gate and not have to run half a mile to get tickets.The only problem in Flancare is that you can't segregate in the stand so if the away fans are behind the goal they'll get soaked if it spills rain and facilities should be equal for both home and away fans and not many other grounds can do this either.

It seems to take something to ignite the people in the stand to get them going.It usually like being at a bowls match most nights until something happens then the stand get going.They were very quiet Sunday night for sure.Sad really but what can you do and if it is any consellation Matthews and Barry come in for a lot of abuse aswell.

Peadar
20/09/2005, 12:22 PM
Im after writing a long reply to ya but my computer frooze,so expect it tomorow

That happened to me recently after writing a long report on Kevin Doyle for Reading v Burnley. The thing is, you'll never write the whole thing again.

Bosco
20/09/2005, 9:30 PM
The thing is, you'll never write the whole thing again.

You know what,your too fcuking right!

Fair_play_boy
20/09/2005, 10:29 PM
I'm glad you think so to because in my eyes they are all heroes.I hope they all have a nice day at work today and that they know we are all thinking about them.OK, fair play Wiseguy, you took two points from Cork City, but is it really worth it? So what if you gain a point as you head towards a mid table season finish? It is awful to look at a game like this, it does nothing to attract supporters, and even die hard City supporters who raise your gate takings will feel less and less like travelling.

Wiseguy
21/09/2005, 9:10 AM
OK, fair play Wiseguy, you took two points from Cork City, but is it really worth it? So what if you gain a point as you head towards a mid table season finish? It is awful to look at a game like this, it does nothing to attract supporters, and even die hard City supporters who raise your gate takings will feel less and less like travelling.

I'm not over the moon about the point as i feel the game was there to be won so i see it as 2 points dropped but Cork are a much better side than we are so it's not a complete disaster.
The fact is that without a goalscorer we are a midtable team.It's a harsh reality but it's true.That's not lack of ambition it's accepting your flaws and dealing with it.Each season i want us to win everything and i don't like losing to any side but the facts speak for themselves when you look at the table.Cork,Derry & Shels are better sides than us and sometimes a draw isn't a complete disaster against these sides.

Maz
21/09/2005, 9:37 AM
How you paid €3 for a free programme which even if it wasn't free only costs €2 is beyond me.

Actually Wise that changed this season, its €3 when not free