PDA

View Full Version : Bad Press for the College

Poor Student
18/09/2005, 3:15 PM
A crappy article today in the "Irish" People by Patsy McGowan (who? :confused: ), allegedy the scourge of the FAI or so boasts the back page. (God....I sound like A Face :o ).

The article under a picture of a scantily clad Pamela Anderson which is bigger than the column itself no less with a caption title "Any excuse: Even Pam wouldn't be a draw".

NOT EVEN BABES AT BELFIELD WILL HELP

I have to hand it to the guys in Merrion Square who run (if that's the right word) the affairs of the League of Ireland football.
They held a press conference to release details of the upcoming league cup final and they would have us believe that this is the first showpiece final of the season.
And then they go and make a nonsense of it by playing it at Belfield - the home of UCD. I can just see it now - the place will be packed to the rafters and tickets will be selling at five times the price on the black maarket. For goodness sake you wouldn't get a crowd at Belfield to see Pamela Anderson and Jordan strip - never mind a football final. Nobody ever went to the bloody ground, only the man and his dog - now even the dog has stopped going.

Graveyard

If they had wanted to take this game between UCD and Derry to a graveyard they could have arranged it for Glasnevin cemetry. Mind you, there is more life about it than there is at Belfield.
Anyway, this mind boggling decision tells you everything about the thinking of the men at the top and their view of how important the final is.
Is it any wonder that the game in this country is in the state that it is? Instead of having a press conference they should have had a wake, but maybe they don't know that they have killed the bloody game stone dead.
Legislators my arse, those guys are undertakers and they don't realise it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Journalist my arse. :mad: The man and his dog used to go and the dog doesn't even anymore!? :confused: Our attendences are bigger than ever. What the hell? The final venue came about as a result of the rules of the competition laid out at the start. The FAI didn't make some arbitrary decision, indeed the very fact the proper process allowed this game to be played at Belfield restores my faith slightly in things. All other papers wrote normal things about the final. This chap doesn't mention anything about the Setanta place, Derry's good form, our recent U-21 call ups. If he really wanted an even credible stab at the FAI over this, how about the fact that the final is not being held on a weekend?

He also moans somewhere that he is asked why he doesn't write more about LOI and he says one reason is he can't say anything nice about it yet moans about barstoolers not going to games.

It gives an email address: irishpeople@mgn.ie

I ask you fellow students to send him an email to complain about his crappy article. No one is pretending Belfield is paradise but this game has many positive aspects that all the other papers were able to pick up on.

ColinR
18/09/2005, 3:30 PM
i presume thats the legend patsy mcgowan - was finn harps managers for years and years. always would be ranting on the sideline - and has been around the game a lot longer than most of us. never liked him when we were against harps, but always admired how passionate he was - looks like he still is - even if you dont like his opinion

Poor Student
18/09/2005, 3:34 PM
i presume thats the legend patsy mcgowan - was finn harps managers for years and years. always would be ranting on the sideline - and has been around the game a lot longer than most of us. never liked him when we were against harps, but always admired how passionate he was - looks like he still is - even if you dont like his opinion

His opinion is uninformed rubbish, passionate or not. Disturbs me more that he's a LOI man.

harry crumb
18/09/2005, 3:45 PM
Patsy McGowen is a gowl.

The man has a massive ship on his shoulder.

His column is a pile of drivel and the paper its in is even worse.

Poor Student
18/09/2005, 3:49 PM
Patsy McGowen is a gowl.

The man has a massive ship on his shoulder.

His column is a pile of drivel and the paper its in is even worse.

Pretty much sums up my feelings. Except knowing he has a huge ship on his shoulders, I understand his grumpiness. ;)

harry crumb
18/09/2005, 4:02 PM
Is the People a paper for the Dublin poppulation cause in an article of his about a month ago he had another uninmformed rant re Dublin GAA fans and how he hates them because they think they are better than everybody else.

I was thinking, how did this get past the sports editor?

I read his book, the strings of my harps which is about the beginning of Finn Harps and ups and downs over the years.

It actually is pretty interesting up to the point near half way where it turns in to a vehicle to take jabs at anybody who disagreed, expressed dissatisfaction etc. over anything he did.

In the end I think everybody bar Mother Theresa and Brenden Bradley are castigated. :D

RonnieB
18/09/2005, 4:06 PM
ignore the cĂșnt

HarpoJoyce
18/09/2005, 4:50 PM
Patsy McGowan is someone who will always have a problem.

It shouldn't be too difficult to ignore him.

student
18/09/2005, 6:17 PM
For goodness sake you wouldn't get a crowd at Belfield to see Pamela Anderson and Jordan strip - never mind a football final. .

The guys an idiot...................

If pam and jordan were stripping in Belfield there would be at least 20000 students there...

:D :D :)

harry crumb
18/09/2005, 6:29 PM
Jordon is rotten.

Colie
18/09/2005, 8:05 PM
What a knob. Will he be there on Tuesday? Is the Irish People even a newspaper? It's more along the lines of The World Weekly News or The National Enquirer is it not, ye know one of those joke ones I thought & we didn't believe the Bat Boy articles now did we?http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/chamber/53902

pineapple stu
18/09/2005, 9:39 PM
I think even Finn Harps fans admit the guy's got a few screws loose. Remember reading an article he had in the paper when I was up there after one of our games and it degenerated into some random waffle comparing NI politics to a football match or something - utter rubbish.

What's the craic with Weekly World News, by the way? Is it taking advantage of idiot Americans or is it supposed to be funny? I could never tell, and never really wanted to spend money finding out either.

BohsFans
19/09/2005, 1:20 AM
The People used to give great el coverage and for some reason just one day stopped!

Mr_T
19/09/2005, 8:09 AM
McGowan has a weekly column on the back page of the Donegal Democrat, all read pretty much the same as that article. Wouldn't worry about it that UCD are the object of his fury this week, its usually Harps!!

Some of you STIG lads may recall our fanzine, when it was in its heyday, had a regular column on the back page from "Potsy McGroaner" who ranted on a lot, which I think I remember some of you thought was very funny, even if you never knew the basis for it. Now go and re-read it and maybe you will really get it!! :D

Locker
19/09/2005, 8:18 AM
A crappy article today in the "Irish" People by Patsy McGowan (who? :confused: ), allegedy the scourge of the FAI or so boasts the back page. (God....I sound like A Face :o ).

The article under a picture of a scantily clad Pamela Anderson which is bigger than the column itself no less with a caption title "Any excuse: Even Pam wouldn't be a draw".

NOT EVEN BABES AT BELFIELD WILL HELP

I have to hand it to the guys in Merrion Square who run (if that's the right word) the affairs of the League of Ireland football.
They held a press conference to release details of the upcoming league cup final and they would have us believe that this is the first showpiece final of the season.
And then they go and make a nonsense of it by playing it at Belfield - the home of UCD. I can just see it now - the place will be packed to the rafters and tickets will be selling at five times the price on the black maarket. For goodness sake you wouldn't get a crowd at Belfield to see Pamela Anderson and Jordan strip - never mind a football final. Nobody ever went to the bloody ground, only the man and his dog - now even the dog has stopped going.

Graveyard

If they had wanted to take this game between UCD and Derry to a graveyard they could have arranged it for Glasnevin cemetry. Mind you, there is more life about it than there is at Belfield.
Anyway, this mind boggling decision tells you everything about the thinking of the men at the top and their view of how important the final is.
Is it any wonder that the game in this country is in the state that it is? Instead of having a press conference they should have had a wake, but maybe they don't know that they have killed the bloody game stone dead.
Legislators my arse, those guys are undertakers and they don't realise it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Journalist my arse. :mad: The man and his dog used to go and the dog doesn't even anymore!? :confused: Our attendences are bigger than ever. What the hell? The final venue came about as a result of the rules of the competition laid out at the start. The FAI didn't make some arbitrary decision, indeed the very fact the proper process allowed this game to be played at Belfield restores my faith slightly in things. All other papers wrote normal things about the final. This chap doesn't mention anything about the Setanta place, Derry's good form, our recent U-21 call ups. If he really wanted an even credible stab at the FAI over this, how about the fact that the final is not being held on a weekend?

He also moans somewhere that he is asked why he doesn't write more about LOI and he says one reason is he can't say anything nice about it yet moans about barstoolers not going to games.

It gives an email address: irishpeople@mgn.ie

I ask you fellow students to send him an email to complain about his crappy article. No one is pretending Belfield is paradise but this game has many positive aspects that all the other papers were able to pick up on. I don't like the man myself but have to agree with him there,Crap set up but a very good team

Poor Student
19/09/2005, 8:39 AM
I don't like the man myself but have to agree with him there,Crap set up but a very good team

Actually good set up, good team, not so good ground. Not that it's any worse than the Carlisle.

Schumi
19/09/2005, 9:57 AM
Some of you STIG lads may recall our fanzine, when it was in its heyday, had a regular column on the back page from "Potsy McGroaner" who ranted on a lot, which I think I remember some of you thought was very funny, even if you never knew the basis for it. Now go and re-read it and maybe you will really get it!! :D
I remember that, very funny. :D

PS I'll bring a copy of it to the game tomorrow if you want to see it.

pineapple stu
21/09/2005, 9:24 AM
I can just see it now - the place will be packed to the rafters..For goodness sake you wouldn't get a crowd at Belfield to see Pamela Anderson and Jordan strip - never mind a football final. Nobody ever went to the bloody ground, only the man and his dog - now even the dog has stopped going.
Now you can whine at him! :)

Dear Sirs,

I suppose it's too much to ask your "paper's" (and I use the term in the loosest sense) "columnist" (and I use the term in an even looser sense) Patsy McGowan to take some humble pie over his piece in last Sunday's edition, in which he stated of the League Cup Final between UCD and Derry City "I can just see it now - the place will be packed to the rafters...For goodness sake you wouldn't get a crowd at Belfield to see Pamela Anderson and Jordan strip - never mind a football final. Nobody ever went to the bloody ground, only the man and his dog - now even the dog has stopped going."

Well, the ground was packed to the rafters. Such speculative nonsense as McGowan's has no place in any respectable paper - and not even in yours. It is petty drivel which can only harm our club and league and goes in the face of the mantra "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all." From talking with Finn Harps fans, I am aware that even they regard Mr McGowan as a complete fool, and from brief looks through his column in the local Donegal papers, I am forced to agree. Maybe this would be the time for his to gain some shreds of respect and acknowledge the fact that his article was about as far off the mark as, alas, most of our attempts at goal on the night.

Yours faithfully (though in the belief nothing will be done and McGowan will be back talking nonsense in next week's edition),.....

pete
21/09/2005, 12:11 PM
Is there a paper called the Irish People?

:confused:

A face
21/09/2005, 12:25 PM

PS .... i am sorry my friend, but all you'll ever be is a poor Imitation !! :p :D

Have to agree though .....

Patsy McGowan (who? :confused: )

Who really care what this guy think ??

Poor Student
21/09/2005, 12:35 PM
A Face can you put him on your list of rabidly hounded victims behind Givens and Devlin? ;)

John83
21/09/2005, 3:08 PM
I suppose it's too much to ask your "paper's" (and I use the term in the loosest sense)
Oh yeah, they'll be scrambling to keep your readership Kev.

"columnist" (and I use the term in an even looser sense) Patsy McGowan
Even looser than the loosest sense? Have you stopped drinking yet? We lost, remember?:p

My first thought too.

CollegeTillIDie
24/09/2005, 4:09 PM

:confused:

There used to be a party political rag produced by I think Official Sinn Fein/ Sinn Fein The Workers Party/ The Workers Party / The bit remaining after Demorcratic Left....quit for the Labour party of that name. Have not seen it on sale for decades at this stage! :D