PDA

View Full Version : Keane out for two months

Pages : [1] 2

harps1954
18/09/2005, 1:30 PM
Sky Sports News have just confirmed that Roy Keane broke a bone in his foot in the game against Liverpool and will be out for two months - that means if we reach the play-offs, he wouldn't be available for them. Things are getting tougher and tougher for us to qualify.

Could this mean that Keane has played his last game for Ireland?????????

blueanto40
18/09/2005, 2:03 PM
Roy will miss swiss game after breaking bone in his foot today. I would say that is now that.

elroy
18/09/2005, 2:12 PM
Absolute disaster for us, things aren't looking good now, even if we do manage a play off spot, its unlikely he'll be fit.

BobbySands
18/09/2005, 2:19 PM
Does this include the six weeks he was going to be out for last week ?

shakermaker1982
18/09/2005, 2:26 PM
I'm gutted, just tore my ligaments in my left foot playing footie Thursday and now Keane could miss the Swiss game.

If anyone can make it though it would be Keane, hopefully a small break or fracture that can heal quickly

centre mid
18/09/2005, 2:32 PM
He was out for the Cyprus game anyway, we still should be good enough to beat a swiss team that will probably be out of contention by the time we play them in Dublin

not all doom and gloom

shakermaker1982
18/09/2005, 2:52 PM
how? even if the Swiss get beaten by the French all they need to do to get 2nd is beat us.

We have no decent centre mids to replace Keane.

onenilgameover
18/09/2005, 3:03 PM
Its a blow and if he has a break he aint comin back no matter how quickly he heals. Kav to come in, he will show just as much strength and determination and against the Swiss this is gonna be vital...however he is no Keane. It will be interesting to see how they react against Cyprus. Could be a we don't need you we can prove ourselves. a la WC 2002.

silentbob
18/09/2005, 3:06 PM
bye bye germany

onenilgameover
18/09/2005, 3:16 PM
bye bye germany

foolish....scared reactions sure to flood the papers and these boards. He is but one...and we've done alright without him...in fairness it might have been better to not have him back

Fergie's Son
18/09/2005, 3:39 PM
It's a huge loss to be sure and I'm down about it. That said, we have to move on and give it our best. Just another hurdle but I am saddned to think that the France match might have been his last game for his contry.

Green Tribe
18/09/2005, 3:57 PM
:mad: :mad:
:mad: Things are not looking rosy at all, but we've got to give it all with what we have. Let's just hope Duff etc are on form and do the business.. :)

Green Tribe
18/09/2005, 4:00 PM
it is not over til the fat lady sings.......... :mad: :(

can this be merged with the other 'roy keane is out' threads

cheers

Plastic Paddy
18/09/2005, 4:09 PM
D'you know KT, since it's you that asked, heaven and earth was moved - quickly - to ensure your request was delivered? :D

Don't believe me? :confused: ;) Ahh, surely it's the thought that counts... :D

:ball: PP

thejollyrodger
18/09/2005, 4:11 PM
dreadful news, i just hope its something that can rally this irish team. Personally i think ireland is like man utd. a team in decline. were going to fine it seriously tough to beat cyprus and switzerland.

Im having a nighmare

Saint Tom
18/09/2005, 5:06 PM
This is exactly when we have to show the fighting spirit and bottle that brought us to the attention of others.. as irishmen it is demanded of them

thejollyrodger
18/09/2005, 5:46 PM
they say 6 weeks on RTE. Would that be in time for the play offs (if we can make that)

does anyone think Ireland are in serious sh1te and could well draw our next two matches and not qualify for the next european championships ???

Colbert Report
18/09/2005, 5:53 PM
I think that we are entering a 10 or 20 year period of not qualifying for any major championship. We are really losing out by not having our own (real) professional league.

brine3
18/09/2005, 5:54 PM
Ireland - Iran was Nov 10
Ireland - Turkey was Nov 13
Ireland - Belgium was Oct 29

No idea when the playoff matches are this year. If it's the second week in November he might make it but wouldn't be fully match fit.

Lionel Ritchie
18/09/2005, 6:54 PM
Looking for silver lining here but at least it's absolutley no doubt he's out for the swiss game, (unlike if were a thigh strain or muscle injury), and BK and the team will have to plan for doing it without him.

A bad blow for us but not the end of the world in my opinion.
If we can't beat those two teams we have no business being in Germany next summer at any rate.

Thunderblaster
18/09/2005, 7:04 PM
If Roy Keane was out for six weeks originally, it is stupid of Alex to play Roy against the Mighty Scousers in the first place. Anyhow, we are still awaiting Roy's national apology for Saipan.

Green Tribe
18/09/2005, 7:19 PM
D'you know KT, since it's you that asked, heaven and earth was moved - quickly - to ensure your request was delivered?

Don't believe me? :confused: ;) Ahh, surely it's the thought that counts... :D

:ball: PP

:p Thank you PP!

JimmyP
18/09/2005, 7:33 PM
Probably clutching at straws, but Richard Dunne was supposed to have been out for 3 months with a broken bone in his foot, and he was back in no time...

http://www.4thegame.com/club/mcfc/news/174721/Citizens+hit+by+Dunne+blow.html

Mayo Red
18/09/2005, 7:50 PM
I can't say that I like Roy Keane and I will never forgive him for walking out on his country, but he still is a world class player on the pitch as he proved in the France game. He will be a huge loss for the Cyprus and Swiss games and it just makes our qualification that much more difficult. :(

Colie
18/09/2005, 8:19 PM
So where did his hamstring injury go? Is Fergie playing us all here?

tetsujin1979
18/09/2005, 9:33 PM
Ireland - Iran was Nov 10
Ireland - Turkey was Nov 13
Ireland - Belgium was Oct 29

No idea when the playoff matches are this year. If it's the second week in November he might make it but wouldn't be fully match fit.
On uefa.com here (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/WorldCup/FixturesResults/index.html) it states the play offs will take place on 12 and 16 November 2005

geysir
18/09/2005, 10:35 PM
Probably clutching at straws, but Richard Dunne was supposed to have been out for 3 months with a broken bone in his foot, and he was back in no time...http://www.4thegame.com/club/mcfc/news/174721/Citizens+hit+by+Dunne+blow.html
Obviously Dunne had not broken a bone. I think it was Garcia who gave Keane the whack on his foot. When Keane was being substituted he trotted off the pitch, he didnĀ“t seem to be in any pain.

jbyrne
18/09/2005, 10:55 PM
Probably clutching at straws, but Richard Dunne was supposed to have been out for 3 months with a broken bone in his foot, and he was back in no time...

dunne hadnt actually broken his foot. the "break" that showed up on the x-ray was apparently an earlier brake that had healed long before

Colbert Report
19/09/2005, 12:03 AM
stick a fork in us, we are done like dinner

lopez
19/09/2005, 12:07 AM
...If we can't beat those two teams we have no business being in Germany next summer at any rate.The Tans couldn't beat Norn Iron - same Norn Iron lower than Rwanda - but you can bet your house they'll be there. If qualification is lost, it was lost between March and May against Isreal, not cos Roy broke his metur-tar-sil (sic.)

BobbySands
19/09/2005, 1:42 AM
So what if RK is gone. It's a pain the arse when he's playing anyway. It's all Roy this Roy that. The meeja are always looking for a saipan angle. If we can't beat Cyprus and the Swiss without RK I'd be happy for us not to qualify.

NeilMcD
19/09/2005, 2:07 PM
Anyone who has the Irish football teams best interest at hearts will be ****ed off about the news. Garcia tackled Keane late in the game and caught Keanes left foot. It was a late tackle and you could see straight away that there was something up. Keane played on for a few minutes and then limped off the pitch. I cant believe there are people on this board who are happy for Ireland not to qualify. Amazing. Keane was immense against France and his experience would have been hugely important against the Swiss. We just have to do it without him and hopefully get to the play-offs when hopefully he will be back.

paul_oshea
19/09/2005, 2:23 PM
well said neil.

Lionel Ritchie
19/09/2005, 2:53 PM
The Tans couldn't beat Norn Iron - same Norn Iron lower than Rwanda - but you can bet your house they'll be there. If qualification is lost, it was lost between March and May against Isreal, not cos Roy broke his metur-tar-sil (sic.)

Yes I see what you're saying -but that's an aberation of form -by both sides (with no disrespect to my northern cousins on a fine achievement).

The kernel of my point is sound. If we cannot summon the wherewithal to register two wins against relatively modest opposition* then we have no business looking to be in Germany next year.

I'll agree though that if we fail -it'll be substantially down to recklessness and fecklessness earlier in the campaign.

*I think, for example, Scotland would've swapped us needing 6 points from Cyprus and Switzerland for needing 4 from Italy and a trip to Oslo to face Norway.

OwlsFan
19/09/2005, 3:12 PM
Keane was immense against France and his experience would have been hugely important against the Swiss.

Immense is an exaggeration. He disappeared for 20 minutes at least of the 2nd half from where I was sitting in the stand. He played better than most in green that day but it wasn't one of his "immense" performances.

Of course we'll miss his presence but that's life. We'll just have to get on with it and the good news is that Kavanagh was man of the match for Wigan last weekend.

shakermaker1982
19/09/2005, 3:43 PM
who to fill in?

O shea would be my solution, keep Kilbane and co away from this position.

NeilMcD
19/09/2005, 3:47 PM
Immense is an exaggeration. He disappeared for 20 minutes at least of the 2nd half from where I was sitting in the stand. He played better than most in green that day but it wasn't one of his "immense" performances.

Of course we'll miss his presence but that's life. We'll just have to get on with it and the good news is that Kavanagh was man of the match for Wigan last weekend.

Well I thought he was immense and in my view it was his best performance since returning to the fold and his best one since his display against Holland and Portugal in 2001. He won man of the match also. Either way he will be a loss, however thats what squads are there for and onwards and upwards.

OwlsFan
19/09/2005, 4:42 PM
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree (as ever) on Keane.

I would go with Reid and Kavanagh midfield and Kilbane out left and Duff out right. Finnan out right. If Reid not working, then switch him to right and bring in Holland. Up front Keane and Elliott.

The Legend
19/09/2005, 5:11 PM
Elliott? what has he done so far?

jbyrne
19/09/2005, 5:51 PM
So what if RK is gone. It's a pain the arse when he's playing anyway. It's all Roy this Roy that. The meeja are always looking for a saipan angle. If we can't beat Cyprus and the Swiss without RK I'd be happy for us not to qualify.

i couldnt care less if we deserve to qualify or not or if we're good enough to qualify or not as long as we're there. its surely better than not being there at all no matter how we ended up doing in the finals. how could anyone be happy for us not to qualify?!!

NeilMcD
20/09/2005, 9:42 AM
From Physio room.com "Keane broken metatarsal Nov 05 ". That would mean he would could be available for the play offs if when we get there.

Roverstillidie
20/09/2005, 9:58 AM
Silver lining time!
At least the atmosphere in the dressing room will be the better for his absence.

Lionel Ritchie
20/09/2005, 10:08 AM
From Physio room.com "Keane broken metatarsal Nov 05 ". That would mean he would could be available for the play offs if when we get there.
It's very tight though. let's hope he does.

onenilgameover
20/09/2005, 11:32 AM
Elliott? what has he done so far?

made the penalty that got us our firsr goal in a difficult away fixture in bad conditions both weather and pitch. played well in the game and looks to be a decent addition to the squad.

OwlsFan
20/09/2005, 12:02 PM

Yep, he might just be back in time to play the home leg and be excused for the away leg on the Wednesday and then turn out for Man U on the Saturday like the Iran play offs :p .

I think we have to plan without him but hope he'll be back in time. Main thing now is to hope for no injuries to Duff and Robbie Keane.

As for what Elliott has done - looked lively when he played against the Faroes
and I don't see many other options to partner Robbie. Not much to pin ones hopes on I agree.

NeilMcD
20/09/2005, 1:40 PM
Why make silly comments like that. It makes me find it hard to trust anything you are going to say about Keane as I know it is biased against him with silly comments like that. I think you and many people should get over it and I mean the anti Mc Carthy brigade too

Roverstillidie
20/09/2005, 3:36 PM
Why make silly comments like that. It makes me find it hard to trust anything you are going to say about Keane as I know it is biased against him with silly comments like that. I think you and many people should get over it and I mean the anti Mc Carthy brigade too

its a fair comment.
he was supposed to be out against liverpool and miracle of miracles, plays,
injures himself (or is it aggrivates an existing problem?).

there is always spin and feigned injuries with him, and Im quite frankly bored of the whole thing.

is he worth the disruption he brings? im unconvinced.

NeilMcD
20/09/2005, 5:47 PM
NOt sure he has brought any disruption to teh squad. All the players praise his attitude and how much they learn from him. Brian Kerr has praised him and said he was fantastic against France. He was man of the match against France in my opinion and the opinion of many others. I did not see any quotes from Keane or Man Utd that he was out of the Man Utd game and how they control the media coming out of Utd is their business as they are entitled to do that in preparation for a big game against their rivals and I dont see how it effects the Irish team in anyway. He then got injured in a seperate part of the body than the hamstring. It clearly happened against Garcia as he stood on keanes foot and had nothing to doing with been rushed back. Just cause you are bored with something does not mean that its disrupting the Irish football team.

mjpcc
20/09/2005, 6:53 PM
The fact that Keane is 35 now means he is more likely to be missing through injury. He was the Man of the Match against France and is still our best player - and Man Utd's. They are not able to replace him and we certainly can not.

That said. We have to learn to do without him.

We have been pretty poor in all our games, ironically excepting the French games. If we can not beat Cyprus & Switzerland without RK and qualify for 2006 we do not deserve to be there.

By Summer of 2006 he will probably not last whole games anyway so we should start thinking without him now.

I watched the French game again last night and was definitely impressed by
Given, Carr, O Shea, Cunningham , & Dunne who are all available for next two games.

Keane was the man, and Reid and Clinton were good too (all missing for Cyprus)

Duff was kept quiet but should get more space again the Cypriots & Swiss.

Robbie was poor enough, but looked good last Saturday and will hopefully get some games now.

Holland came on as a sub for Charlton and might get a couple of games before Oct 8, and Kav ran the game for Wigan at the Weekend. Which means we have reasonable midfield options along will Kilbane,S Reid, and Finnan.

If we can show the same spirit we showed against the French in the next two games we have a chance of winning them both.

At least we will have Andy Reid and Clinton back for the Swiss. Question is can the rest of them win in Cyprus.???????

Big problem is who to play up front with Robbie. Nobody stands out, say what you like about Elliott or Connelly but neither give me any warm fuzzy feelings about their ability to score goals for us.

For me, The big questions are
1) Can the play with the fire & passion the showed against the French.
2) Who will play up front with Robbie.

shakermaker1982
20/09/2005, 7:41 PM
My team for the Swiss

Given

Carr Dunne Cunningham O Shea

Finnan Reid Kavanagh Duffer

Morrisson R Keane

Am tempted to put O Shea in at CM but then Harte is a bit of a liability at left back. I'm still hopeful Keane could make a miracalous recovery and make the Swiss game, if one man can come back from injury quickly its' Keano