PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Denmark - Basketball

A face
17/09/2005, 8:19 PM
Ireland best Denmark today in basketball by 14 points ahead of the return leg in Denmark soon (a weeks time i think) .... RTE covered it and did a good job, fair play !!

thejollyrodger
17/09/2005, 8:20 PM
what happens if we win ?

A face
17/09/2005, 8:40 PM
what happens if we win ?

I'll be totally honest with ya ..... i dont actually know !!

It has to be good though .... doesn't it ??!?!!? :p

EDIT :

Had a look here !! (http://www.basketballireland.ie/asp/show_news.asp?leagueId=4&id=2515)

Unreal Madrid
17/09/2005, 9:33 PM
We are currently in what is basically division 2 in European basketball. If we win this play off we get into Division 1 and the top 16 with the likes of Spain, Germany and all the Baltic countries. One report compared our rise to Malta getting to the World cup finals (It should'nt happen!). Then again, the vast majority of our team is 14th generation 'Irish'.

Some game today but still going to be very tough to hang on in Denmark. Hopefully Burke will be released by the Suns for the game as we will need him.

Great credit to Gerry Fitz and the rest of the management team. Also to basketball Ireland for the preperation that has gone into getting the team ready. Lot of bucks spent, players found, tournaments played against good quality opposition which has really paid off.

A face
17/09/2005, 10:50 PM
Great credit to Gerry Fitz and the rest of the management team.

Club basketball is still light years behind anything in Europe though ....Italy and Greece have some clubs bigger than some footie clubs and the standard is through the roof.

Still though it they do manage to win the second leg, things might change a bit. Fingers crossed !!

Unreal Madrid
18/09/2005, 12:44 AM
Lets face it, the Irish team (apart from the coaches) has very little to do with club basketball. To be honest, clubs like Deamons, Ballina,Notra Dame (sham rovers me ar*e) Tralee, Star etc would create more of an atmosphere at cup games than was on show today. If it was not for the kids......

If we hang on in Denmark it might,

1 Get more neturals to go and see some name players V Ireland.
2 Get some badly needed funds (are you listening Mr Silver Tracey)
3 Make no difference to Club B Ball in Ireland.

gspain
19/09/2005, 10:08 AM
Club basketball is still light years behind anything in Europe though ....Italy and Greece have some clubs bigger than some footie clubs and the standard is through the roof.

Still though it they do manage to win the second leg, things might change a bit. Fingers crossed !!

I'm fed up with all those barstoolers saying our basketball is rubbish and going off to watch foreign basketball. :D

Seriously well done to the Irish team. Hopefully they can complete the job in Denmark.

Rebel N
19/09/2005, 9:16 PM
was at the game and thought ireland played well.They let the lead slip at the end but hopefully they can finish the job with the help of pat burke

Aberdonian Stu
20/09/2005, 9:29 AM
I thought Burke was almost definitely unavailable?

pete
20/09/2005, 11:09 AM
Ireland seem to ease up or tire too much in the 4th quarters as have given up lotof points in last 2 games.

Will be very interesting to see an Ireland away game live on tv next week. I think RTE showing as-live at 5pm cos Premiership on at 3pm.

Qualification unlikely to do much for club game he i'd say but would get lot more coverage for international team.

gustavo
20/09/2005, 11:10 PM
good to see a Sligo Man Micheal Bree at the heart of it:) How many of them play in NBA and are actually irish ?

TheOwl
20/09/2005, 11:52 PM
good to see a Sligo Man Micheal Bree at the heart of it:) How many of them play in NBA and are actually irish ?

Four of this year's squad were born in Ireland.

Two of which, Michael Bree and Conor Grace, grew up and learned the game in Ireland.

Pat Burke (Dublin born but out of the Denmark game) is the only current NBA player.

Matty Conlon and Cal Bowlder are ex-NBA players.

The entire squad are full-time professionals I think.

A face
20/09/2005, 11:54 PM
Four of this year's squad were born in Ireland.

Two of which, Michael Bree and Conor Grace, grew up and learned the game in Ireland.

Pat Burke (Dublin born but out of the Denmark game) is the only current NBA player.

Matty Conlon and Cal Bowlder are ex-NBA players.

The entire squad are full-time professionals I think.

Fair play ... that sounds good anyway !!

TheOwl
24/09/2005, 6:30 PM
Anybody know the Danish word for "robbery"?

thejollyrodger
24/09/2005, 7:16 PM
Next time I see a danish basketballer I'll give him a serious amount of stick for day light robbery. The ref was totally feable and biased, stealing viking ********

A face
24/09/2005, 9:12 PM
I wouldn't mind if the ref was a small bit consistant .... we were given three technical fouls, two for back-chat .... fair enough ..... but the Danish were at it wholesale .... so why didn't they even get one. And some of them were camped out in the key with no intention of attacking at times, yet the minute we had a player that even thought about it, the clock went on.

That ref were complete and utter sh!te and i'd say we have grounds to take it further. How was the german ref making calls on play at the other side of the court ??? Soem of the calls were over turning the other guy when it was right under his nose ??

And the foul at the end of normal time ..... blatant ... there is no way that that could have been ignored.

And we all thought that boxing was hoofie ..... basketball must be the most crooked sport known to man after that !!

Partizan
25/09/2005, 2:41 PM
Typical Scandinavians, lying, cheating arrogant *******s.

pete
25/09/2005, 5:22 PM
I don't know that much about basketball but a lot of those calls went well beyond home advantage. The Danish coach was mouthing off to the officials for long time in the first half & never sanctioned.

Overall Ireland were poor but showed a lot of pride & grit when required.

Poor Student
25/09/2005, 6:13 PM
In a nutshell, did Ireland lose the tie over the two legs? I can't actually gather, just see a lot of anger over cheating Danes.

A face
25/09/2005, 6:31 PM
In a nutshell, did Ireland lose the tie over the two legs? I can't actually gather, just see a lot of anger over cheating Danes.

Ireland were 14 points to the good going into the second tie .... and lost that by 15 so they lost overall by a point !!

Daylight robbery !!

thejollyrodger
25/09/2005, 7:08 PM
Why are we always robbed at the highest level.

pineapple stu
25/09/2005, 8:32 PM
Lost by 16, actually. Two on aggregate.

Denmark were ahead by 14 and got two free throws. They scored one and missed one, so Ireland had 11 seconds to get a basket. The ball went out of play for a throw (or whatever) with two seconds to go - the ref decided it was a Danish throw, which caused much annoyance. The Danes took the throw, had a shot and the buzzer went. The Danish team rushed onto the court, but the ref had awarded them another two free throws, and they scored one.

Incidentally, don't see why there's anger at the Danes. It was the German ref who was described on commentary as "the worst ref I have seen in 20 years' involvement with the game."

If Ireland do go up to the top level, would there be any more second generation Irish suddenly finding their ancestry now that the team would be playing at the top level in Europe?

A face
25/09/2005, 8:49 PM
Lost by 16, actually. Two on aggregate.

Yeah ... forgot about that !! .... was to busy jumping up and down, giving out how we were robbed.

If Ireland do go up to the top level, would there be any more second generation Irish suddenly finding their ancestry now that the team would be playing at the top level in Europe?

Yeah ... i suppose that is likely to happen too !! :p .... but how bad, if it actually allowed the game to improve here. We'd find some good home grown talent aswell though so it wouldn't be all bad.

Poor Student
25/09/2005, 10:01 PM
Are you lads real Irish basketball fans or Irish basketball's equivilent of a barstooler? :D

TheOwl
25/09/2005, 11:39 PM
Are you lads real Irish basketball fans or Irish basketball's equivilent of a barstooler? :D

I've been reporting on Irish basketball for the past four years (first game attended was Ireland vs. Germany in 2001). Didn't know anything about the domestic game before I was asked to start covering it though!

A face
25/09/2005, 11:48 PM

I suppose this will sound like "I used to follow Rovers but ... "

I used to go to Neptune in Cork all the time, well for all the big games anyway (that was quite often) ... some really good players at that time. Used to play it in school aswell so i would have an interest in it. But yeah ... I would be a bit of a barstooler !! :p

gspain
26/09/2005, 9:14 AM
It was the Icelandic referee who "missed" the blatant body check at the end. It would have been a straight red in football but in a non contact sport it didn't merit 2 free throws - one of which would have won the game for Ireland.

I don't know much about basketball and rarely watch it but this was robbery reminiscent of our football team away in Bulgaria or Belgium a quarter of a centiry ago.

joeSoap
26/09/2005, 9:51 AM
It was the Icelandic referee who "missed" the blatant body check at the end. It would have been a straight red in football but in a non contact sport it didn't merit 2 free throws - one of which would have won the game for Ireland.Agreed...it was a blatant body-check and should have resulted in free throws that, with 7 seconds left, would have won the tie for Ireland.

Listening to the live commentary on radio 1, the expert analyst (dunno who he was) was making the point that Ireland play a more 'American' style of basketball, whereas the Danes, Icelandics etc have a definitive 'North European' style which is more physical, so having an Icelandic referee probably didn't help.

Still........a blatant body-check?? :mad: :confused:

TheOwl
26/09/2005, 11:35 AM
I suppose this will sound like "I used to follow Rovers but ... "

I used to go to Neptune in Cork all the time, well for all the big games anyway (that was quite often) ... some really good players at that time. Used to play it in school aswell so i would have an interest in it. But yeah ... I would be a bit of a barstooler !! :p

I suppose the good thing about these games being on telly though, is that people like yourself might go back to a couple of games this year?

pineapple stu
26/09/2005, 12:50 PM
I just to First Aid at some of the matches - not overly interested in the game at all! Certainly never been to a game outside of that.