PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Morrisson

pete
23/04/2002, 12:52 PM
I'm not saying he shoudn't go the WC necessarily just asking if he any irish pride or just a mercenary after career progression.

wiseman
23/04/2002, 1:04 PM
Any info. on his upbringing. Was he raised as Irish?? As does happen with our overseas contingent.
Gotta know the answers to these Q's before commenting!

Pablo
23/04/2002, 1:52 PM
He only picked Ireland as a last resort....to further his career. I think we all know that. Please God the terrible twins will be first choice at the WC with Quinny off the bench

Éanna
23/04/2002, 2:01 PM
He couldn't make his mind up between England, jamaica and ireland. He appeared on Sky after scoring v Liverpool and said that if Sven was watching "pick me Sven." He said he feels Irish now, cos Curtis Fleming is teaching him how to drink Guinness.
FCUK OFF MORRISSON

pete
23/04/2002, 2:48 PM
Incidently I think off the top of my head McAteer, O'Brien & Connolly are similar mercenaries in the current squad.

Maybe its just modern footballers but you never hear them say they'd love to play in the WC for national pride - its all about themselves.

btw I don't particularily care about their upbringings or being brouhgt up irish in a foreign country. Many european countries have given citizenship to foreign players living in their country but its clear they have badly wanted to play for their adopted country.

I can predict you'll never hear Clinton Morrisson mention the pride of playing for his country.

:(

Pablo
23/04/2002, 2:52 PM
to be fair Pete, there is a difference...do i have to point it out?

If links are strong, they are as Irish as you and me....if they are not( and i would class aldridge and houghton here) than they are not what i would class as players i would be proud to call irish.

Morrison although a good player is only out for what he can get.

City Fan
24/04/2002, 11:00 AM
Whether Morrison is 'Irish' or not doesn't matter a damn. The fact is he now wants to play for Ireland, has scored more than one goal for Ireland, does his best out on the pitch for Ireland AND is a damn site surer a bet than bloody Conolly for the World Cup!

Murphy Out Now!!

SÓC
24/04/2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by City Fan
Whether Morrison is 'Irish' or not doesn't matter a damn. The fact is he now wants to play for Ireland, has scored more than one goal for Ireland, does his best out on the pitch for Ireland AND is a damn site surer a bet than bloody Conolly for the World Cup!

Murphy Out Now!!

I have to strongly disagree with that. If the England manager gave him a call tomorrow and told him that FIFA would make an exception and he'd let him go to the World Cup with England he'd jump at the chance.

Rory Delap and Kevin Kilbane turned down the chance to play for England because they wanted to play for Ireland, even though they we born in England. Morrison doesn't give a toss as he proved by his 'Come and Get Me Sven' antics.

The National team is something which all Irish people can be proud of and express their sense of being Irish by supporting it. People like Morrison just take the mickey, he's about as Irish as Gandi.

I consider it an insult to the Real Irish players like Crowe, Sadlier & Co. and the genuine Irish fans that Morrison would be in the squad ahead of them.

Whether he is Irish or not does matter a damn. It is the single most important factor in deciding whether you can play for Ireland!

Éanna
24/04/2002, 2:06 PM
Originally posted by City Fan

I'd rather lose every game with a team of Irish players than see mercenary scum like morrison in a green shirt

pete
24/04/2002, 3:40 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
to be fair Pete, there is a difference...do i have to point it out?

If links are strong, they are as Irish as you and me....if they are not( and i would class aldridge and houghton here) than they are not what i would class as players i would be proud to call irish.

Morrison although a good player is only out for what he can get.

Aldridge & Houghton set all time records for tenous links.

Morrission clearly has no national pride but that doesn't mean he shouldn't go to the WC. Hes already played for Ireland & i think he looks to have more potential than Connolly. Whether he should go to WC or not is a separate debate.

Ultan
24/04/2002, 3:54 PM
Originally posted by pete

Aldridge & Houghton set all time records for tenous links.

Irrelevant. I think Aldo qualified via his great grandfather but the fact is he WANTED to play for us and no one else, as do the majority of our British born players. With these I have no argument. Morrison, Babb, Townsend et al on the other had would of jumped at the chance of playing for England if they had asked first so they are pure mercenaries...

MikeW
24/04/2002, 4:33 PM
John Aldridge was 28 when he made his debut for us, if I remember correctly. His chance to play for England had passed at that stage. Now I don't know if he would have played for them given the opportunity, but I wouldn't be so hasty in claiming that he wanted to play for us. If he had no other option then why wouldn't he want to play for us?

Of course Clinton morrison is a mercenary, there's no doubt about that, but we've had plenty of others in the recent past, I think now its time to stop the practise though. Either people want to play immediately or they don't. I don't want to see us chasing some jouneyman english division 1 striker because he has an Irish granny ever again, a la Mickey Evans. Remember him? What an embarassment that was.

Éanna
25/04/2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by MikeW
Mickey Evans. Remember him? What an embarassment that was.

Oh christ, the pain came flooding back when I saw that! he was some shaggin waster.

The Legend
03/05/2002, 6:52 PM
"Rory Delap and Kevin Kilbane turned down the chance to play for England"

Ha ha ha

Like they would be in the England squad, they are barely in the irish squad!

James
03/05/2002, 8:28 PM
yes clinton morrison is a mercenery

The Legend
03/05/2002, 9:25 PM
Mercenary or not, if he scores an important goal in the World Cup, i'll be interested to say what people think then!

sorbothegreek
04/05/2002, 12:40 PM
In fairness to Aldridge, he did say that he wished that he could have been more Irish than he actually was, add that to his reactions during the Mexico game in the world cup, and you'd have to say that while he admittedly wasn't Irish, he's not in the same category as Morrison is.

Gary
04/05/2002, 1:17 PM
I have to hand it to ye lads. Ye are a pack of malcontents. Moan bitch complain. Fcuk sake, If we were to examine the succes the Irish team has had in recent years, feck all of is down to Bona fide Irishmen. Yes Morrisson would have played for engurlund given the chance. But he is now an Ireland player.

So answer me this folks. Is Tony Cascarino scum? is Andy Townsend scum? Is Matt Holland scum?

Will you cheer is Morrison scores the winner against Germany? Did u cheer for any of Cascarinos goals? Sure big Jack wasnt Irish, never claimed to be. Yet Id imagine most of you were caught in the wave of euphoria in 1990.

Get a life please lads.

Or is this just a black thing?

:D

Gary
04/05/2002, 1:23 PM
Oh, and Zidane, Viera, Djorkaeff scum? Is Michael Owen scum? Is Kluivert scum (dont answer that!)? is Hasselbaink scum? All of these men arent playing for their countries of origin.

Viera is Senegalese. Zidane is Algerian, dunno where Djorkaeff is from, but it aint France. Owen was born in Wales. The two dutch fellas were born in some Dutch colony.

What about in Rugby. Is Brian o Meara scum for playing for Leinster?

What of all the aussies and New Zealanders who have played international rugby for Ireland. Are they scum?

What about our president. Born and bred in the North. Never paid a penny tax in the Republic. Is she scum?

What about all the people who left Ireland to earn a better living in the States, UK etc. Are the mercenary scum as well? They after all jumped ship didnt they.

SÓC
04/05/2002, 4:19 PM
Originally posted by GWA

Viera is Senegalese. Zidane is Algerian, dunno where Djorkaeff is from, but it aint France. Owen was born in Wales. The two dutch fellas were born in some Dutch colony.

All of the above decided they'd play for their adoptive countries. Morrison actually made the decision to make himself available to England and sat by his phone for a few weeks waiting for a call to come through from some swedish guy, when that never came, Oh Im Irish now.

What about our president. Born and bred in the North. Never paid a penny tax in the Republic. Is she scum?
Irrelevant, she is an Irish Citizen, she always was and always wanted to be, she didn't wait around and hope she'd become queen and after a while realize that she had no chance so ran for Áras.

What about all the people who left Ireland to earn a better living in the States, UK etc. Are the mercenary scum as well? They after all jumped ship didnt they.
Again these people were at all times still Irish, they wanted to be Irish, they left to get a better life for themselves, but at all times remained Irish, they didn't proclaim themselves English and then change their minds.

SÓC
04/05/2002, 4:21 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
"Rory Delap and Kevin Kilbane turned down the chance to play for England"

Ha ha ha

Like they would be in the England squad, they are barely in the irish squad!

They were both asked to join English underage squads at one time or another which they turned down on the basis that they wanted to play for Ireland.

Éanna
05/05/2002, 2:45 PM
Djorkaeff was born in France- his parents are Polish and Armenian if my memory serves me right.

Éanna
05/05/2002, 2:49 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Originally posted by GWA
Irrelevant, she is an Irish Citizen, she always was and always wanted to be, she didn't wait around and hope she'd become queen and after a while realize that she had no chance so ran for Áras.

Firstly, I agree with everything SOCcfc said and secondly. Whatever some people may think, the north IS Irish- isn't the name of the "country" northern IRELAND for gods sake! Legally, anyone born in the north is entitled to citizenship of the Republic, pending the re-integration of those counties into the control of the national government- so no point there AT ALL.

MikeW
05/05/2002, 3:31 PM
Just to set the record straight, some people are claiming that Michael Owen was born in Wales. He wasn't, he was born in Chester which is in England.

Éanna
06/05/2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
Chester which is in England.

JUST ABOUT :p

pete
08/05/2002, 12:01 PM
I accept Morrission is part of the irish squad now & if i was picking the squad would also include him. This does not change the fact hes a mercenary.

I however cannot warm to him given the comments he made before he made up his mind about which country to "choose".

Players in the past may also have thought like Morrission but at least they had the sense to keep it to themselves.

Also I cannot understand the excessive hype over Morrission. Can anyone explain to me why he gets a bigger cheer than virtually any other players at Lansdowne road.

Wizzard
08/05/2002, 1:18 PM
Also I cannot understand the excessive hype over Morrission. Can anyone explain to me why he gets a bigger cheer than virtually any other players at Lansdowne road.

He gets a good cheer because it's usually a choice between him and Connolly. Who would you rather have on the field of play?

Ruairi
08/05/2002, 1:20 PM

They probably think he's Paul McGrath for a split second

gypsydownunder
15/05/2002, 10:02 AM
What the hell is going on here? Clinton Morrison is Irish. He is no more a mercenery that any other player in the Ireland team. And given the credentials of Cascarino and Aldridge, he's more right to and Irish passport.

This ******** about being less Irish and waiting for the call from England is ****e.

Yes I'm a Palace supporter, and Clinton deserves his place. I hope he scores in Japan.

Below is an excerpt from an interview with Tom Humphries, should help clear up some arguments about the boy from Garristown - or is that not good enough for those bitter boys from the Lee?...

Clinton Morrison has a different story. In fact he has a different name. He was raised as Clinton Chambers, son of a Jamaican Dad, but when he was 15 he changed his surname to Morrison in deference to his Mum, Angela and his Nan, Mary Morrison of Dundalk, via Garristown in north Dublin. He doesn't lay it on too thick but the Irish thing was always there.

"My Nan she moved to England when she was about 40 and she lived here ever since. I knew from when I was small I could play for Ireland. When I came to Palace when I was 16 I talked to Ian Evans about playing for the Irish under-21s some day but I don't think he believed I had any real Irish in me. Nobody believed I had Irish in me. I was only in Ireland once. I went down to the boats, done fishing somewhere near Garristown. I was about eight or nine. Just the once, we went."

He grew up in Tooting. Not poor, he says and not well off. Sometimes, not often, they went to his Nan's house and listened to Irish music. Not with any great reverence but he and his sister, Ciara, were always aware. Clinton knew too that the box next to the word footballer was the only one he would be ticking when it came to careers class. His mother recognised early that her son's best chance probably lay down that road, doing what he was best at.

"She did everything for me, my Mum. Everything. She kept me in school when I didn't want no lessons, she brought me to games, she kept my chin up. I don't think I would have turned bad, doing crimes and that. It's not me, not the way I am, but in the same way I don't know what would have happened. There was a lot of crime going on. I was with Spurs and they let me go when I was 16 and that was the end of the world for me because I supported them when I was small but she kept me at it, made me go to trials. I went to Palace and scored a hat-trick and Peter Nicholas signed me the next day."

And since then it's been the yellow brick road. Any time he's played against Spurs at any level since he's scored. He made his Palace debut late in the season against Sheffield Wednesday in 1998 and reckons that every year he's added something to his game. Now he is an Irishman. Says he feels it. Comes to Ireland every break he gets. Visits family. Chills. His Mother comes to every game. His Nan came to the Cyprus match. Sweet times.

"It was 100 per cent the right decision. I wanted to do it when I was younger. Most of my family were telling me to play for Ireland, my Nan and my Mum specially. They thought it was best."

James
15/05/2002, 10:20 AM
I was in Switzerland 2 summers ago, only once though, ..maybe i could play for switzerland..
i mean i love swiss cheese and tobelerone, and i have a watch that i think is very useful.. also i like the swiss people.. ;)

(just keep the swiss music away from me.. 1 night in jaggers was bad enough)

pete
15/05/2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by James

No good so James, you not Swiss then.

;)

Gypsy....(Crystal) Palace........? :confused:

Clearly its all a conspiracy...Morrission never told Eriksson ".....come & get me" & never said he was holding out for an england call up.

Strange how none of these "...come & get me Mick stories came out before he got called up.

:rolleyes:

gypsydownunder
15/05/2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by James
I was in Switzerland 2 summers ago, only once though, ..maybe i could play for switzerland..
i mean i love swiss cheese and tobelerone, and i have a watch that i think is very useful.. also i like the swiss people.. ;)

With a reply like this, God I'm glad I have nothing to do with Cork. It's simply just not worth replying.

James
15/05/2002, 12:00 PM
read what pete said.. how irish is morrison if he issues a come a get me message to the engerland manager..

he's a mercenary..