PDA

View Full Version : Bernstein wants players back on the back pages

Éanna
23/04/2002, 11:52 AM
from eircomleague.net (http://redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/22-4-7.htm)

Darren Bernstein, recently appointed Marketing and Development Executive of the eircom League, believes that it is vital to get National League players back on the back pages again.

With a strong background in sports promotions, and a FIFA recognised Masters Degree in Management, Humanities and Law in Sport, Bernstein has a proven track record in the marketing of sport in Europe.

The Englishman, a Bury fan, is also an avid football supporter and admits that, while he wouldn't know everything about Irish football, "as a keen football follower, I would have known quite a lot about the eircom League before I started."

He sees his role primarily as an advisor to the clubs. He certainly knows what he wants to see done to promote the League. "It is important to get the players back on the back pages. People want to read about football matches, not registration issues," he said referring to the controversies of this season.

However, increased publicity in the media is not Bernstein's main aim; it is fans who he sees as the key. "At the moment, football clubs have a core support, but it's not big enough for what we want to achieve. Clubs have a lot to do to promote themselves.

"Football is no longer a game - it is a day out. They (The clubs) need to make their product, which is a match day, more entertaining, not just on the field, but off the field as well. We have to make it a family occasion." He believes this plan would have a domino effect with the League been promoted through word of mouth.

"If the people who go to the matches enjoy themselves, they will tell their friends, who will tell their friends and so on." He also stresses that the players have a role to play, not just on the field, but off the field also.

"In England, a fan cannot just go up and talk to David Beckham, but here, supporters can approach someone like Glen Crowe and hopefully, he will have an impact on that fan."

Bernstein is also keen to introduce a 'Football in the Community' project. Some clubs already have their own projects, though the initiative is still not common within the League. "I want to seen clubs promoting themselves in their community and raising awareness.

"It has been hugely successful in England," he said. He will also be helping clubs gain their UEFA licences, which every club will need to enter European competition from next season onwards.

The licences take into account club facilities and financial structure, and many clubs around Europe have been forced to reorganise to meet UEFA's criteria.
© Official FAI website

MikeW
23/04/2002, 1:06 PM
I think this is definitely a big step in the right direction for the league, it adds a bit more professionalism to the set-up. This Bernstein guy seems to know what he's talking about, and the fact that he's a fan of a small english club should be a help in understanding the league here. If he was a Manchester united or Arsenal fan or whatever i'd be more sceptical.

I've always thought the best way to raise interest in the league is to keep the young players at home for longer. Easier said than done of course, but steps must be taken in this direction to start to improve things. The best players will still be sold to england or wherever of course, but the word "sold" is key here. It'd be great to watch Damien Duff or Robbie keane or whoever doing well in england and be able to say "I remember them when they used to play for [any Eircom league side]. Who remembers them playing for the Blackburn or Leeds under-18 or reserve sides? Our young players are a valuable resource this league is losing out on big time. Time to do something about it.

Éanna
23/04/2002, 1:08 PM
Haven't Bury just got relegated to div 3 after nearly going bust? he should know exactly what he's facing so:( I think it's a good appointment and hopefully he'll be given time space and money to do whats needed

pete
23/04/2002, 2:01 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Haven't Bury just got relegated to div 3 after nearly going bust? he should know exactly what he's facing so:( I think it's a good appointment and hopefully he'll be given time space and money to do whats needed

Yeah think they just relegated alongside Bournemouth (maybe Shaun Maher on a free?). Isn't almost every 2nd & 3rd division club over yonder loaded with debt?

Can't judge a guy on 1 article. I presume the eL interviewed him so we'll assume he the best man for the job. I wonder is a englishman moving over here an indication of lack of local interest or was he just a lot more qualified.

The key here is the eL will be showing the clubs how to do things. This isn't the eL doing all the work but does mean progressive clubs won't be lacking in backing from the hq.

Should be interesting to see how he gets on anyway.

Jaime
25/04/2002, 11:07 AM
The "Football in the Community" is something obvious that clubs need to push far more heavily than they have been recently. There is so much the clubs can do for themselves, that dont really cost money, like going down the local schools etc etc, that might have an impact, hopefully clubs will co-operate with this guy, although I wouldn't be too optimistic:rolleyes:

Éanna
25/04/2002, 12:59 PM
AFAIK, City have done some of that stuff like going into schools etc., but I don't think it's been too successful. Hopefully it can be done in a more structured, nationwide way and that will make a success of it.