PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1 Bray 0

Poor Student
16/09/2005, 11:02 PM
Crappiest scrappiest goal you'll ever see, possibly by Pat McWalter. However I reckon we deserved the 3 points. Anto Murphy and Hurley both hit the woodwork in the first half. We also carved out a number of other close chances. Bray had a few chances which Quigley was able to match. Good game, no injuries I think! Great atmosphere for the away fans too. Ah, I'm tired. Pineapple will invent a match proper match report tomorrow!

CollegeTillIDie
16/09/2005, 11:04 PM
Crappiest scrappiest goal you'll ever see, possibly by Pat McWalter. However I reckon we deserved the 3 points. Anto Murphy and Hurley both hit the woodwork in the first half. We also carved out a number of other close chances. Bray had a few chances which Quigley was able to match. Good game, no injuries I think! Great atmosphere for the away fans too. Ah, I'm tired. Pineapple will invent a match proper match report tomorrow!

My associates in the Bray camp reckoned we should have been 4-0 up at half-time. They say that we scored in the goal where most Carlisle Grounds goals are scored... it is nicknamed the scoring end. So damn right we deserved the three points... from only our second away win of the League in 2005 :rolleyes:
The quality of the score is irrelevant.The fact remains it was legal and it counted :D

Student Mullet
17/09/2005, 12:26 AM
I can't believe that I was cautioned as to my future conduct by a Bray steward simply for likening the ref to Adolf Hitler and frog marching around behind the home crowd!!

pineapple stu
17/09/2005, 2:06 AM
UCD recorded only their second away league win of the season with victory in Bray, and although the margin was narrow, the result was certainly well deserved.

Possibly with one eye on Tuesday's League Cup Final, Conor Kenna - who was expected to return tonight - remained on the sidelines, although there was a first start for Conan Byrne in place of Damien Dupuy up front.

UCD seized the initiative from the start, and within ten minutes, Anto Murphy and Stephen Hurley - the latter with a superb dipping shot - both struck the woodwork, with Conan Byrne lurking on the first occasion. Though UCD continued to press, it wasn't until the 33rd minute when they had a good sight of goal again, when Anto Murphy's shot on the turn was well blocked away by a Bray defender for a corner.

Bray did threaten on occasion - a long range shot going wide on the half hour, while a few minutes later, Mick O'Donnell had to be on hand to clear after a scramble in the UCD box. However, at half-time, although the scoreboard was level, it was UCD who had had very much the better of things.

Just eight minutes into the second half, the Students made their pressure pay. It was somewhat ironic that in a game where so many good chances were created, the goal was as scrappy a strike as you'll see. Pat McWalter harried his man in the box and won possession on the edge of the six-yard box; his drag back was harmless before it took a deflection off a Bray defender to completely wrongfoot Chris O'Connor and enter the Bray net between keeper and near post from a very narrow angle; such was the lack of pace on the shot that the net was never even rippled.

Still, however, UCD created chances, and Stephen Hurley wasn't far away with another fine effort from distance - this time, a 30-yard snapshot which flew inches over. And shortly after the hour mark, only last-ditch Bray defending kept UCD out - a superb flick from Conan Byrne set Anto Murphy away, but his shot, and Byrne's follow-up, were both blocked.

Darren Quigley was largely quiet, but was called on to make the save of the match on 70 minutes when Stephen Fox found space on the right of the area - his powerful rising shot was well turned away by the Irish U-21 keeper. Three minutes later, his opposite number also proved equal to the task when producing a fine point-blank save from Murphy after Byrne had nodded on a free-kick. Play went straight up the pitch, where UCD had to clear off the line before UCD had another shot, this time dragged wide.

Bray could well have stolen a point in the last few minutes - a scoop over from five yards being the pick of their chances, while a free-kick right on the edge of the area was driven well wide. However, UCD could also have scored a second when Anto Murphy was played through by the impressive Byrne; Murphy rounded the keeper but lost his balance as he prepared to slot home.

As Bray's frustration grew, they were very fortunate not to be reduced to ten men when Murphy shielded the ball in the corner; Bray won a throw, only for another Bray player to run in and fire the ball directly at Murphy from close range - the referee saw fit only to issue a yellow card.

A very satisfactory night at the office then for UCD, who move back above Bray in the league ahead of Tuesday night's League Cup Final against Derry City, who extended their unbeaten run to 20 games in going (temporarily at least) top of the table with a win in Dalymount.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, O'Donnell, Shortall, McDonnell; Hurley, Gannon, Dicker, McWalter; C Byrne (Dupuy 88), Murphy. Subs not used - McEniff, Gallagher, AN Other, AN Other eile

Att - c 800

CollegeTillIDie
17/09/2005, 8:56 AM
FYI the unused subs were Kieran Harte, COnor Kenna

CollegeTillIDie
17/09/2005, 9:04 AM
Willie Doyle was probably not considered as he is Cup tied on Tuesday

Rebal Boy
17/09/2005, 10:58 AM
Good luck Tuesday lads. I hope ye beat Derry. It should be a good game. A Setanta Cup place is up for grabs so I'd say both teams will be going all out for this.

superfrank
17/09/2005, 11:08 AM
I thought we were really poor, UCD were more up for it then us and deservedly won. The goal was really scrappy but my friend told me that the shot that hit the crossbar had crossed the line. Was that Stephen Hurley who hit it?

Atmosphere was crap, we had no drums and fair play to the UCD fans for their singing. Hopefully we'll be up for it next week!! Good luck in the League Cup!

Student Mullet, were you one of the UCD fans drinking during the match?

Colie
17/09/2005, 12:06 PM
Ha,now anyone that said we weren't safe can fcuk off.

Is Anto now our first choise striker? He's better than the others anyway.

Schumi
17/09/2005, 1:15 PM
The more I think about this game, the more I can't believe that we only won by one. We should have a couple up in the first half really so it's a little worrying that it took the worst goal I've seen in a while to get us the win.

Was that warmest gamein Bray ever BTW? I didn't even have to close my coat. :eek:

the shot that hit the crossbar had crossed the lineReally? Did it bounce down? I can't really remember TBH but it never crossed my mind that it could have gone in.

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 1:26 PM
Really? Did it bounce down? I can't really remember TBH but it never crossed my mind that it could have gone in.

I remember thinking as it struck it that it was going to land over the line and into the net. Ah well. I don't think it's too worrying we only scored one. Striking the woodwork twice means only inches away which is as clinical as we usually are.

superfrank
17/09/2005, 2:12 PM
Really? Did it bounce down? I can't really remember TBH but it never crossed my mind that it could have gone in.
That's just what I was told by my friend who was down there when it happened.

Was that warmest gamein Bray ever BTW? I didn't even have to close my coat. :eek:
Eh, I don't think so. It was pretty fooking cold imo!!! I had four layers on and a thick wooly hat and I was just barely comfortable. The majority of the UCD fans were out in the seats, I can't imagine how cold that would be.......and I don't want to. :eek:

But yeah, we were poor. :(

Schumi
17/09/2005, 2:31 PM
Eh, I don't think so. It was pretty fooking cold imo!!! I had four layers on and a thick wooly hat and I was just barely comfortable. The majority of the UCD fans were out in the seats, I can't imagine how cold that would be.......and I don't want to. :eek:
Other people were moaning about it being cold too. Must have just been me. :D I didn't say it was warm BTW, just that it was warm for Bray.

Poor Student
17/09/2005, 2:52 PM
That was my first trip to Bray and I was disappointed, the tales I hear of the legendary cold seemed to be untrue. I was expecting icicles to be forming on my nose by half time!

Colie
17/09/2005, 4:56 PM
That was my first trip to Bray and I was disappointed, the tales I hear of the legendary cold seemed to be untrue. I was expecting icicles to be forming on my nose by half time!
Plenty of scumbag kid, Dublin wannabies no doubt though! :mad:

It's like a fookeen teenage disco down at the Carlisle.

Woohoo, we get to go there agian next Friday, I'll be wearing my best trackie;)

CollegeTillIDie
17/09/2005, 10:42 PM

It's like a fookeen teenage disco down at the Carlisle.

Woohoo, we get to go there agian next Friday, I'll be wearing my best trackie;)

Wayheyyyy Shellsuit Colie :D

Schumi
19/09/2005, 9:52 AM
Not as bad as usual tbh. Maybe annoying the steward at the start had an upside!