PDA

View Full Version : Different Class......

wws
16/09/2005, 12:00 PM
Kilbane cant make the team that gets hammered 5-1 by an average Romanian outfit.......

Frei scores two crackers v a very good spanish team that same night....

The Swiss have far better players than us IMO

NeilMcD
16/09/2005, 12:07 PM
Are you basing this purely on last nights results or on the fact that they finished ahead of us in the last qualifying. If its the former well Damien Duff plays for Chelsea the English champions and Finnnan player for teh European Champions. Whereas Switzerland have players playing for FC Thun who got beaten by ten men Arsenal who were beaten by Chelsea, who Damien Duff plays for, So clearly we are better than the swiss. U see my logic

wws
16/09/2005, 12:09 PM
i DONT SEE YOUR logic -all i read from the ireland fans of this forum is over hyping our own sh.t squad of players - IMO the worst ever squad we've ever had at international level and a complete disregard for sides which are better than us - prime example being the swiss.

NeilMcD
16/09/2005, 12:16 PM
The swiss may be better than us but you cant base that purely on the fact that Kilbane did not play for a team that lost 5-1 and that Frei scored 2 goals last night against a Spanish team. As I said in my post we could use similar fact to say that our players are better than the Swiss( i.e Duff and Finnan) They have beaten us twice in the last campaign and drawn once in this campaign. I would say our teams are pretty similar and that we could draw with them at home or beat them by the odd goal. I do agree that a good deal of posters have written off Israel and Switzerland and over hyped up France. I would put this down to over exposure to the Premiership and not as much exposure to French and German and Swiss Leagues.

wws
16/09/2005, 12:19 PM
The swiss may be better than us but you cant base that purely on the fact that Kilbane did not play for a team that lost 5-1 and that Frei scored 2 goals last night against a Spanish team. .

i didnt BASE it on that - i used that (the most recent example to hand) to illustrate what has been my thinking on this for the last two qualifying campaigns - namely we havent got a good enough calibre of players in this squad

duff is the exception that proves the rule (and even duff fans will struggle to recall any stand out performances from him in a qualifier)

NeilMcD
16/09/2005, 12:41 PM
Well I can only go on what you posted. I cant read your mind. I could say that Kilbane and Frei are the exception that prove the rule as much as you say that Duff is. I would reckon that ourselves and the Swiss are pretty even and I would not be suprised if they get a draw against us. I dont think they will win here. This is not green tinted glasses either. To be honest green tinted glasses are no harm either unless then you start calling for the head of teh manager as you believe that we should be winning the World Cup.

wws
16/09/2005, 12:44 PM
relax im just going on a rant from a new angle..... :D

in conclusion - wot i was tryna say was - Frei did well last night!

OwlsFan
16/09/2005, 12:59 PM
Wouldn't it have been worse if he was playing in a side that lost 5-1 than absent from one which lost 5-1 without him ? His defensive abilities were obviously badly missed by Everton.

Man for man there probably isn't much between us and the Swiss. We have some good players and many average players. I'm sure the same applies to them but we need to up our game next two matches. Otherwise aufwiedersehen Deutschland.

pete
16/09/2005, 1:06 PM
The tag world class is vasty over used but IMO Ireland have only 1 player (Duff) that would be even nominated for such tag.

We have more players than usual that play Premiership level but that doesn't make them world class.

Fact is we haven't had quality team since Charlton era.

ColinR
16/09/2005, 1:27 PM
Wouldn't it have been worse if he was playing in a side that lost 5-1 than absent from one which lost 5-1 without him ? His defensive abilities were obviously badly missed by Everton.

he came on before the final two goals went in, and actually didn't play too bad to be honest. sent over a beautiful corner for ferguson in injury time - keeper pulled off a great save to prevent it being 4-2, a minute later it was 5-1.

Stuttgart88
16/09/2005, 1:44 PM
Kilbane cant make the team that gets hammered 5-1 by an average Romanian outfit.......
Frei scores two crackers v a very good spanish team that same night....
The Swiss have far better players than us IMO
All that tells me is that Frei would probably get into our team and Kilbane wouldn't get into theirs. Nothing else!

Switzerland were muck against the Faroes & Israel and only beat Cyprus 1-0 at home. That's an optimistic way of looking at it. :)

Condex
16/09/2005, 1:54 PM
The tag world class is vasty over used but IMO Ireland have only 1 player (Duff) that would be even nominated for such tag.

We have more players than usual that play Premiership level but that doesn't make them world class.

Fact is we haven't had quality team since Charlton era.

Rubbish, the only Irish player is the last 10 years who could be considered world class is Roy Keane, even at 34 he was the best footballer on the pitch against France. Duff is too easily marked out of a game

Would Duff he get a game for the current Brzil team...

geysir
16/09/2005, 2:48 PM
he came on before the final two goals went in, and actually didn't play too bad to be honest. sent over a beautiful corner for ferguson in injury time - keeper pulled off a great save to prevent it being 4-2, a minute later it was 5-1.
In fact once he was switched out to LM and stayed there, he looked as happy as pig in muck galloping down the wing.

Seano
16/09/2005, 3:54 PM
We shouldn't be looking past the Cyprus game at this stage.