PDA

View Full Version : London

carrickharp
16/09/2005, 10:29 AM
Heading over for a long weekend at the end of the month (was over a few years back but was at a GAA match in Ruslip, stayed in Cricklewood) this time I’m staying somewhere in central London, any recommendations of good pubs (also any good Irish bars), clubs, things to see, do etc etc…

paul_oshea
16/09/2005, 10:44 AM
there are fook all clubs open in central london that are like home, they are either private bars, hip hop clubs, or hardcore dance type clubs. irish bars well there are loads, waxys just off leicester square, oneills etc, but not proper irish bars. the lyric is about the only decent irish one. you need to go out of london to get irish bars. there are lots of good museums if thats your thing though, the british national museum up around holborn is quality, those poor egyptians though they must have nothing to show for tourists going to see ancient pyramids and artefacts from that time. the history museum is decent and the science museum is ok, they are all down in kensington. if you do like that sort of thing then you will have to get up early as london is a big place and they are a good bit away from eachother. by bro and sis when they came over got on the bus tour and went all around london , they said it was quality but its quite expensive for a day ticket something like 20 quid or so.

who are you going over with dublinharp? the walkabout bars are pretty good if you are trying to score, lots of aussies and kiwis in there.

ask more specific questions and i will be able be more specific.

Peadar
16/09/2005, 10:46 AM
things to see, do etc etc…

The Stockwell Savoy followed by a jig in The Swan! :D

Dawn_Run
16/09/2005, 1:00 PM
O Neills in Leicster Sq is a mental place. Some craic in there over the weekends - think its a late bar also. Have to recommend the Nags Head in Covent Garden too. For the Del Boy in you.

paul_oshea
16/09/2005, 1:02 PM
the nags head is nothign special in fairness.

ya oneills in leicester square is where i was on about, but its as irish as a black man in alabama.

dahamsta
16/09/2005, 1:18 PM
If you want a litle enlightenment, head to the Science Museum (http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/) for a few hours, it's incredible and it's free. Ditto the Tate Modern (http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/) if you're feeling really intellectual.

adam