PDA

View Full Version : Prague 2 : City 0

kingcolers
16/09/2005, 8:15 AM
Very quiet here this morning. Watched the game on the telly and it was a bit disappointing. Unlucky not to get a goal but kinda lucky not to concede a couple in the first have too.

One question: was George tired or lazy last night? Couldnt make out which. Sometimes he could be pure class but other times he'd give the ball away and wouldnt exactly kill himself trying to get it back.....

redgav
16/09/2005, 9:12 AM
strange game , could have been 5-0 , 4-4 , 2-2 ,3-1 ,

The amount of clear cut chances has no doubt pi$$ed off both managers , wayyy to open a gme , but if we are honest ,last nite city were beaten by the better team on the nite.Too many people didn't retain the ball ,thought Roy was the biggest culprit ,but even in defence we were being put under fierce pressure when we were trying to bring the ball out ad build ,they were harrying us and we were losing it in dangerous places .
when was the last time we saw hoggie so over run at FB , and even danny needed Liams help to cope

Roy was so unlucky not to give us the goal I felt we deserved but how forunate was their keeper .He didn't move and the ball just struck his hand !!!!!

Their goals , thought a direct free kick was harsh on Dan murray ,as I felt yer man went into Dan rather than the other way around and surely should have been indirect free for obstruction !!!!
The finish was stunning,and is something that we don't see in the EL very often and even then mick was unlucky cos he did get a hand to it
The second goal should not have been allowed - The ref or his linesman can have no excuse as to why theye didn't give the foul on Liam , it was petty clear cut I thought

Think last nite the biggest area we lost out in was in midfield , Joey was getting over run in there more or less on his own as george was popping up everywhere and thought greg or Colin T in there a bit earlier would have shored it up and stopped the maurading runs.

Overall , thought we were unlucky not to get a away goal and while they were definatly better than us last nite ,I don't think they were two clear goals better than us despite their chances .
Can we get it back???? after what happened in istnbul I think no body should write us off and a early goal could open the tie.....we nearly did it against Nantes last year , no reason based on our improovements this year that we can't

Peadar
16/09/2005, 10:06 AM
We were stretched on the big pitch and the grass seemed a bit long, which would tire you out easily.
Devine was outstanding and could have done nothing about the goals.
There was a clear foul in the build up to their goal but we could go on about things like that all night.

The tie isn't dead and we can beat them at home.

Well done to all the lads who travelled to the game.
We could hear you singing all night and you looked great.
The home support didn't deserve to see a victory.

Onwards and upwards lads.

wws
16/09/2005, 10:17 AM
felt devine could have done better for the second goal tbh

also kearney gave the ball away in a stupid area - wasnt fouled - very unprofessional from him

cork were unlucky not to nick one - and regardless of how they played or who was better - euro football is all about the goals.....just look at liverpool.......or everton :eek:

superfrank
16/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Tough luck last night. I tought your play deserved a goal.

I think Devine should have done better for the first goal. He was too far to the right and the left corner was an easy target.

Unlucky for Dan Murray, I think if Alan Bennett had gotten out of the way he would've been able to direct it better.

You can still win. Good luck. ;)

higgins
16/09/2005, 10:56 AM
If cork deserved a goal last night then Slavia should have got 2 or 3 more.

I was fully behind Cork and didnt want you to lose but being honest you looked very bad last night. I still cant get over George :( Thought he was rubbish most of the evening, when he had the ball he stalled and lost it too much or gave it away with sloppy passing but his main problem was when he didnt have the ball! He pulled away from lots of 50/50 tackles as did most of the cork midfield. They came at cork in waves during the first half and nobody was brave enough to stand up and get stuck in. It looked to me like you were lacking a leader out there, nobody seemed to have an answer to what was slowly going wrong.

I dont for a minute think Cork are a bad side or you cant win at home but last night was a joke. You lacked Rico being there on the line as after a good start the game went away from you and Hill sat there looking on doing nothing!!! Greg should have come on at least during the half time. Your away from home they are running at your midfield who are afraid to get stuck in?? You cant just sit there and watch that all evening. Kearney too was lsoing the ball in very bad positions.

It really could have been 5 or 6 nothing ... It was a bad display from what I know you can offer. They got stronger and stronger as the game went on as they knew they had the better of you, it could have been so different with Rico there to change things around earlier. Too little too late when things did happen. You made them look super and that didnt have to happen.

Its not bashing Cork as I wanted you to win so dont come on with what shels should have done to Steaua or whoever!!

kingcolers
16/09/2005, 11:02 AM
If cork deserved a goal last night then Slavia should have got 2 or 3 more.

I was fully behind Cork and didnt want you to lose but being honest you looked very bad last night. I still cant get over George :( Thought he was rubbish most of the evening, when he had the ball he stalled and lost it too much or gave it away with sloppy passing but his main problem was when he didnt have the ball! He pulled away from lots of 50/50 tackles as did most of the cork midfield. They came at cork in waves during the first half and nobody was brave enough to stand up and get stuck in. It looked to me like you were lacking a leader out there, nobody seemed to have an answer to what was slowly going wrong.

I dont for a minute think Cork are a bad side or you cant win at home but last night was a joke. You lacked Rico being there on the line as after a good start the game went away from you and Hill sat there looking on doing nothing!!! Greg should have come on at least during the half time. Your away from home they are running at your midfield who are afraid to get stuck in?? You cant just sit there and watch that all evening. Kearney too was lsoing the ball in very bad positions.

It really could have been 5 or 6 nothing ... It was a bad display from what I know you can offer. They got stronger and stronger as the game went on as they knew they had the better of you, it could have been so different with Rico there to change things around earlier. Too little too late when things did happen. You made them look super and that didnt have to happen.

Its not bashing Cork as I wanted you to win so dont come on with what shels should have done to Steaua or whoever!!

i'd have to agree with this gentlemen. There's a lot of room for improvement so we could still have a chance at the cross if the performance is much better. Prague arent that great - i think we made them look better than they are.

OwlsFan
16/09/2005, 11:08 AM
I was impressed with Cork last night apart from the fact that whenever the opposition attacked they looked like conceding - someone somewhere wasn't tracking back. The skill level of most of the Cork players was impressive but I agree with Pat Fenlon that physically Irish players don't seem to be able to match their European counter-parts. O'Callaghan in particular seemed a bid weedy but some fantastic touches.

More work in the gym the answer ? However, the days of the opposition being far better technically seem to be gone.

Peadar
16/09/2005, 11:10 AM
You made them look super and that didnt have to happen.

You've ruined any chance you had of getting me to accept your opinion.
When exactly did they look super?
They looked better than us, but that was to be expected.

In a big open pitch like that, if players commit themselves to a tackle but don't win it then you can very easily get left very exposed.

I'm not sure what people expected that we were going to do last night but I'm certainly not ashamed of our performance.

We're at home in the next leg, anything can happen!

superfrank
16/09/2005, 11:11 AM
I was impressed with Cork last night apart from the fact that whenever the opposition attacked they looked like conceding - someone somewhere wasn't tracking back.
It was Roy O'Donovan not tracking back. It got really dangerous when Neale Horgan went forward too.

higgins
16/09/2005, 11:20 AM
When exactly did they look super?

When you gave away the ball at the half way line over and over again and they went running at you.

Maybe it was just nerves but it looked like they would score every time. If you take out the 2-0 slavia still had way more of the better missed/saved chances.

Peadar
16/09/2005, 11:22 AM
When you gave away the ball at the half way line over and over again and they went running at you.

And that looked super?
Guess someone who's used to watching Shels could easily think running with the ball in midfield looks super.

kingcolers
16/09/2005, 11:27 AM
And that looked super?
Guess someone who's used to watching Shels could easily think running with the ball in midfield looks super.

Jaysus, you're way too sensitive. He's making valid points although perhaps used the wrong adjective. No need to get involved in a slagging match

higgins
16/09/2005, 11:30 AM
Peader if you had the capacity to remember what was said then you wouldnt make such silly remarks...

You made them look super and that didnt have to happen

That was what i said... I didnt say they were super just because they ran with the ball!!
Your total lack of effort to track back coupled with the windy tackles you got in on them made them look better then I thought they were.

I dont think running with the ball looks super.......
It was the ease at which they did it that made it look good but this was down to Cork not doing their job more then any outstanding individual displays on their behalf.

Still a little upset over the result today are we Peader??? I was waiting for the sly remark on Shels... This post has nothing to do with shels so please dont turn this into another slagging match as someone will take your bait!!

Peadar
16/09/2005, 11:35 AM
Still a little upset over the result today are we Peader???

To be honest, Cork City FC in Europe seems to be more about the league than than the club. Right now, I want us to win the eircom League. I'm not too disappointed about last night and I see a lot of potential in our young team.
We didn't play well enough to win last night. The result was fair but that game is behind us now. Turners Cross is much tighter and the crowd will have a big impact on the game.

EnDai
16/09/2005, 11:56 AM
ufl..

JackeenRebel
16/09/2005, 12:25 PM
Lads, we were unfortunate in front of goal and we we're lucky defending. I have to agree with REDGAV - the score line could of been 4-4, 3-1, 2-2 or 2-1 .. then again I suppose the final score is what counts.

Its half time and we're 2-0 down. When I say we I don't just mean Cork City I mean the representatives of the Eircom League.

I personally admire the management team for sticking with a 4-4-2 for most of the game, having an attacking mentality but I have to admit I think a 4-5-1 formation was called for last night.

Corbett
16/09/2005, 12:37 PM
O'Halloran should have started and played in the whole in front of the back four. There was not protection from the czechs midfield runers.

Shelsman
16/09/2005, 12:47 PM
Their goals , thought a direct free kick was harsh on Dan murray ,as I felt yer man went into Dan rather than the other way around and surely should have been indirect free for obstruction !!!!

I completely agree -was very surprised to see him give a direct free kick. It obviously had a big bearing on the game considering they scored!

The second goal should not have been allowed - The ref or his linesman can have no excuse as to why theye didn't give the foul on Liam , it was petty clear cut I thought

Can't agree with you. I agree with wws on this, Kearney dived and was looking for a free kick - there may have been some contact but the fact that he had cried wolf before by looking for free kicks ( like Duffer ) meant the ref wasn't going to give it, especially as Kearney made the most of it. I think Kearney has to take A LOT of blame for the 2nd goal. Roddy Collins criticised Dan Murray for a short pass out of defence for the 2nd goal but I disagree -it was this type of possesion play that was so impressive in the 2nd leg vs Djurgardens. Hoofing it would've been like Shels performances against Steau and away to Deportivo ( brutal ).

Each side had around 5 good chances, they scored 2, City none. 3-1 or 2-2 would have been a fairer reflection

I thought Gamble and O'Callaghan were good, Kearney did nothing ( he was superb in the home leg vs Djurgardens but nowhere to be seen last night ).

I thought Fenn played well but O'Flynn didn't really make an impact. Danny Murphy was outstanding -as was the keeper.

pete
16/09/2005, 1:03 PM
I was surprised with such attacking team from the start but was clearly designed to get away goal first & shake up the tie. It is known that O'Donovan gives the ball way too much but he counters than with very good attacking play is excellent in front of goal - He also is good in the air. I sense Rico belived that no use defending for a to nil lose as needed away goal to have chance at winning the tie.

We were beaten by better team who were also tactically very good sensing that a smaller team would have trouble with very high tempo game. I can't remember seeing such high tempo game involving an eL side.

Devine made a couple of superb saves & without deflecting the topic would surely be worthy of 3rd place keeper ahead of Colgan in the irish squad?

The Chezh republic is rnaking 12th in the european club competitions so this was a big steps up for City from Sweden.

Slavia are clearly favourites to progress but we showed when we got the ball in their box that they gave up chances.

Fair_play_boy
16/09/2005, 11:34 PM
Even though Slavia are bigger and rougher than us, we showed that we could create scoring chances, and that was when we were playing well below our potential, missing our manager, and on a larger pitch.
With the home venue, the capacity crowd, Rico hopefully on the sideline, and the tighter pitch, I think we are well able to score against them. If we are first to score, it is anybody's game after that.
City will probably be at very generous odds with the bookies. I have a hunch that this is one game where a gamble on city is worthwhile.
As for selection, I would put Behan up front instead of Flynnie. He is a big lad who will take no sh1t from the Czech heavies. I don't know if Roy was really to blame for not covering back. The Czech counter attacks were so fast, all he had to do was be on the wrong foot, and they had a three yard advantage to begin with. Much as I admired Georgie's fancy moves, Colin might be the better man for that position, as I can't see him allowing their midfield to come through like the Lee in flood. With that position more secure, Hoggie will not be under so much pressure.
Overall, I am encouraged by City's performance. This was not a moral victory or anything like that. Slavia deserved to win. But with a bit of luck on September 29th we could witness something historic at the cross.
Right now, my biggest concern is the danger of a post-Slavia slump in form against Longford at the weekend.

Éanna
19/09/2005, 8:58 PM
It was Roy O'Donovan not tracking back. It got really dangerous when Neale Horgan went forward too.spot on. didn't help that joe gamble had a very ppor game by his own very high standards.

Éanna
19/09/2005, 8:59 PM
Can't agree with you. I agree with wws on this, Kearney dived and was looking for a free kick - there may have been some contact but the fact that he had cried wolf before by looking for free kicks ( like Duffer ) meant the ref wasn't going to give it, especially as Kearney made the most of it. I don't think he dived. Having been there and seen it on video after, I think he actually tripped over.

Éanna
19/09/2005, 9:00 PM
IMO 3-1 would have been about right, and it would have been a better scoreline for us too. We didn't play anywhere near as well as we can play, and too many people had a bad day at the office. That said, we're still in it. If we go into half time 1-0 up at the cross, we've a great chance.