PDA

View Full Version : Roddy

Pages : [1] 2

ShelsTim
15/09/2005, 8:14 PM
Did yis hear the ****e coming from Roddy after the match? That bolox shouldn't be let near any media covering eL games. People'll start thinking 'Jayzus, if one of their own is saying this, it must be ****.' Luckily Bill and Pat put him in his place a fair bit, but if he's doing a lone interview, what'll people think. I'ld love to put Pat Dolan beside him and let him get eaten alive.

Roddy is a *****.

GavinZac
15/09/2005, 8:19 PM
whatd he say?
for the benefıt of those ın ıslamıc countrıes and such

ShelsTim
15/09/2005, 8:25 PM
Basically he just had a go at the league for the entire time. He said we've made no progress since Bohs beat Kaiserslauten which is obvious bolox. He also said we're not going to get any further than where we are now cause the infrastructure isn't there. It was the bit about us not having progressed since Kaiserslauten that ****ed me off. He was generally saying the league was ****e though, saying Cork should've been stuffed by about 5 goals, which is bolox aswell. And that Irish teams can't compete at any level in Europe. Like I said, he's a *****.

Cosmo
15/09/2005, 8:37 PM
Basically he just had a go at the league for the entire time. He said we've made no progress since Bohs beat Kaiserslauten which is obvious bolox. He also said we're not going to get any further than where we are now cause the infrastructure isn't there. It was the bit about us not having progressed since Kaiserslauten that ****ed me off. He was generally saying the league was ****e though, saying Cork should've been stuffed by about 5 goals, which is bolox aswell. And that Irish teams can't compete at any level in Europe. Like I said, he's a *****.

I had no problem saying what he did - he had a point and was half right by saying weve hit a brick wall now and its a massive jump to the next level and we wont get there unless theres big changes- weve progressed but not that much - good job by rte tonight - was good craic hearing rico live from his hospital bed :D

Hard luck to cork too - one of 2 players let them down tonight and ye cant afford to have any player playing below par at this stage - will be a struggle to get the required result in cork to go through but would still fancy them not to get beaten anyway

Btw youre probably one of these people that get wound up over dunphy too :rolleyes: Lighten up :)

Bosco
15/09/2005, 8:43 PM
Yeah but no one takes dunphy seriously.Although roddy had a point,on live television in one of the biggest games for irish football in years,infront of thousands of barstoolers wasnt the place to say it.Roddy has never had any respect for the el and i wasnt too suprised,we all know hes still holding out for his celtic dream job

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 8:43 PM
I think Roddy was fustrated. I cant agree with his theory that the Eircom League has gone as far as it can. Thats obviously wrong since we have only gone full time a few years and move to summer soccer. There is still a lot of potential that hasnt been realised yet. Richardson has more work to do with that Cork side and they are very young.

Roddy was calling for big money and facilities. Of course we need them but at the end of the day EL clubs will have to progess mostly on their own and then get financial backing.

Clubs can do themselves favours (like Cork) and not sell their best players off.

jorge
15/09/2005, 8:46 PM
What,do you want to hear lies and hear Cork were very unlucky not to get a result?Thats bolox,Cork were lucky not to lose by 4 or 5.

But fair play to Cork they did well at times but Slavia were the better team.Cork CAN play a lot better.

Cosmo
15/09/2005, 8:47 PM
Yeah but no one takes dunphy seriously.

And you take roddy serious :confused:

Seriously, people should stop getting their knickers in a twist for any criticism the EL gets, while he went too far in saying there was no progression since he was with bohs (im sure he just said that to suit his own ego), he did have a point in what else he said

Btw agree with jorge above - Bill and that licking up some holes saying they were unclucky and roddy coming back saying everyone was been biased and that if people werent been biased it couldve been 9 - 2 so :cool:

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 8:53 PM
Roddy was right and not getting to emotiional in it. Nutsy looked like he was about to cry. The EL is living off failures in the English league. Until we start growing our own like the cheques do were going to have no joy

jorge
15/09/2005, 8:53 PM
I hate the way comentators are always easy on El players in EL matches.Their afrid to critisise.eg when a ball is given away or wasted they ignore it.Dont get me wrong i dont want comentators giving the players a bollocking but they could open their mouths.

ShelsTim
15/09/2005, 8:55 PM
Are's yis dense? He didn't have any point, to say that the eL has no chance of progressing further is absolutely ridiculous and shows a very clear inferiority complex that needs to be wiped out. And whoever told me to lighten up, I assure you, I'm am one of the lightest fellas you can meet, but Roddy is an absolute ***** and I hate him. Dunphy is absolutely sound compared to him.

To say Cork were lucky not to lose 9-2 is one of the stupidest things I've heard. Slavia had 9 chances only when you include the hail mary shots from miles out that went nowhere and Cork had much more than 2 chances. In real terms it would've been about 5-4.

harry crumb
15/09/2005, 9:12 PM
City lost 2-0 tonight.

That doesnt mean that we cant win 3-0 in Turners Cross in a fortnight.

Taking the game on its merits city deserved to lose but there wasnt a huge gulf between the teams.

At least we did better than Everton tonight. :o

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 9:17 PM
Great fighting spirit there harry but I dont know where Cork are going to come up with 3 goals. Slavia only really have to score one.

joeraki
15/09/2005, 9:33 PM
What did Roddy say that was wrong ? Irish teams get the odd good result against teams that should be better than them. Then get beaten by teams that are no great shakes. Hajduk Split prime example, didn't they get beat in a near cricket score to some unheard of team that where duly thrashed by ManU. Slavia where no great shakes but the gulf in standerd was fairly noticable at times. Again they won't go beyond the next round if they get someone decent.

The EL has no chance of progressing in its current state anyone that thinks it does at the moment really needs to go see someone.

ollie
15/09/2005, 9:34 PM
Great fighting spirit there harry but I dont know where Cork are going to come up with 3 goals. Slavia only really have to score one.

well stranger things have happend.look at longford in wales for example(sorry longford :o )

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 9:38 PM
by an eircom league side. Plenty of sides have came here and monkied us

harry crumb
15/09/2005, 9:41 PM

Last year we lost 3-1 to Nantes. We needed to win 2-0 to go through. Kevin Doyle got the early goal and for the next hour Cork City had chance after chance to get that 2nd goal.

We are a year older and a year wiser. So dodnt rule it out.

sonofstan
15/09/2005, 10:06 PM
Didn't hear him, but, while I almost never agree with Roddy, on what's reported above, I think he's right - Cork are far and away the best team in this league at the moment, and they were exposed tonight; pretending that will and luck and so on will get us there is nonsense; until this league is richer - which means better supported - and therefore attracts better players and technical staff, we're going to be down among the also rans forever. The patronising guff that commentators like Ger Canning during the match and O'Herlihy in the studio come out with is worse; you'll know they take the EL seriously when they're able to criticise a performance like tonights

ThatGuy
15/09/2005, 10:12 PM
Joeraki I don't agree with you.

Since going professional, there has been clear improvement. The results are not spectacular, but Irish sides have been competitive for the first time in most of our life-times. Victories in this time have not been lucky, flukey, circumstantial or morale victories, as pretty much all Irish results were in the past. Results are now down to Irish sides being professional, and performing better than the opposition. Clearly progress has been made.

Looking at the league's results in the two proper competitions in Europe, I think 99/00 represents the last of the "amateur" years. Since we sent in professional teams the progress has been clear. Not every year has been good, we were let down/unlucky having teams having poor seasons represent us in many seasons, but there is progress.

You may look at the results and think that they aren't too good, and you would be right. However, as I said, the Irish sides performances are what you should consider. We have been competitive, and now we expect our sides to be competitive, not to be over-awed, not just be happy to be there in the first place and to progress and .

There has been substantial progress, that is an undeniable fact, I mean FACT! There is a LOT of room for improvement, that is also a fact, but look at the volume of results by Irish sides over the last few years.

10 wins in the last 5 years, have there been 10 wins in the previous 5 years? 10 years or even 20 years???

One day an Irish side will qualify for the champions League. That day may be in 5, 10, 20 years or even longer. Our sides will have to continue to improve, which they are. If they keep improving at the current rate then I wouldn't be surprised to see a breakthrough by 2015.

1999/2000.
P6 W1 D0 L5
St. Patrick's Athletic 0 Zimbru Chisinau 5
Zimbru Chisinau 5 St. Patrick's Athletic 0
Grasshopper-Club Zürich 4 Bray Wanderers 0
Bray Wanderers 0 Grasshopper-Club Zürich 4
IFK Göteborg 3 Cork City 0
Cork City 1 IFK Göteborg 0

2000/2001
P10 W3 D 2 L5
Sloga Skopje 0 Shelbourne 1
Shelbourne 1 Sloga Skopje 1
Shelbourne 1 Rosenborg 3
Rosenborg 1 Shelbourne 1
Aberdeen 1 Bohemians 2
Bohemians 0 Aberdeen 1
Bohemians 1 Kaiserslautern 3
Kaiserslautern 0 Bohemians 1
Lausanne 1 Cork 0
Cork 0 Lausanne 1

2001/2002
P8 W 1 D2 L 5
Bohemians 3 Levadia 0
Levadia 0 Bohemians 0
Bohemians 1 Halmstads 2
Halmstads 2 Bohemians 0
Longford 1 Lovech 1
Lovech 1 Longford 0
Brondy 2 Shels 0
Shels 0 Brondby 3

2002/2003
P6 W0 D1 L5
Hibernians 2 Shelbourne 2
Shelbourne 0 Hibernians 1
Rovers 1 Djurgardens 3
Rovers 0 Djurgardens 2
Varteks 5 Dundalk 0
Dundalk 0 Varteks 4

2003/2004
P8 W1 D 0 L7
BATE 1 Bohemians 0
Bohemians 3 BATE 0
Bohemians 0 Rosenborg 1
Rosenborg 4 Bohemians 0
Nicosia 2 Derry 1
Derry 0 Nicosia3
Llubjana 1 Shelbourne 0
Shelbourne 2 Llubjana 3

2004/2005
P10 W1 D4 L5
Rejkjavic 2 Shelbourne 2
Shelbourne 0 Rejkjavic 0
Hadjuk Split 3 Shelbourne 2
Shelbourne 2 Hadjuk Split 0
Shelbourne 0 Deportivo 0
Deportivo 3 Shelbourne 0
Levadia 0 Bohemians 0
Bohemians 1 Levadia 3
Vaduz 1 Longford 0
Longford 1 Vaduz 3

2005/2006
P9 W4 D2 L3
Glentoran 1 Shelbourne 2
Shelbourne 4 Glentoran 1
Shelbourne 0 Steaua 0
Steaua 4 Shelbourne 1
Longford 2 Camarthen 0
Camarthen 5 Longford 1
Ekranas 0 Cork 2
Cork 0 Ekranas 1
Djurgardens 1 Cork 1
Cork 0 Djurgardens 0
Prague 2 Cork 0

Mayo Red
15/09/2005, 10:19 PM
Roddy was at the same ****e during some of the coverage of Shels run last season. There's nothing wrong with some constructive criticism but he rarely has anything good to say about the EL, except when he failed in England and was desperate for an Irish club. His media appearances are all to do with self-promotion, if he was as good at promoting the EL as he is at promoting himself we would be getting 20,000 bodies at every game every week! :rolleyes:

harry crumb
15/09/2005, 10:22 PM
Roddy was at the same ****e during some of the coverage of Shels run last season. There's nothing wrong with some constructive criticism but he rarely has anything good to say about the EL, except when he failed in England and was desperate for an Irish club. His media appearances are all to do with self-promotion, if he was as good at promoting the EL as he is at promoting himself we would be getting 20,000 bodies at every game every week! :rolleyes:

Good point.

He goes to town when City lose and when they win he says that Pat Dolan is the main man. :rolleyes:

geysir
15/09/2005, 11:48 PM
For an away team I thought Cork did okay. In that game if they scored one it would not have been undeserved. I did not hear Roddy's comments. From what I have seen of the EL from a long distance on satelitte over the last few years, Cork City now are playing the best football of the lot and on a consistant basis. They are better than the Shels and Bohes teams of a few years ago. I have no club affiliation at all. I did not see anything to be pessimistic about last night. I know Cork can play better than that. If all the talk is to be believed, they want to strenghten their team. To overhaul a 0-2 at home, I dont know its steep but you know they will give it everything and with trying to play skillfull intelligent football.

mypost
16/09/2005, 4:39 AM
You can't afford to give away possession in Europe. Prague's first goal against Cork, came from a free-kick, which itself came about after Cork had given the ball away in the Prague half. :( We were all told that Cork were good at keeping possession... :rolleyes:

But the lads from the South Pole can cheer themselves up when they come home, by watching a re-run of a comedy video, "Everton in Europe". :D :D

hoopy
16/09/2005, 6:08 AM
[QUOTE=ShelsTim] I'ld love to put Pat Dolan beside him and let him get eaten alive.

QUOTE]

Dolan's Roddy's best buddy in the EL so I doubt that would happen. Anyway is this the same Dolan who criticises people for watching Premiership football yet is a studio guest on Setanta's coverage?

rerun
16/09/2005, 7:28 AM
I think Roddy may have had a point, but it was incredibly badly made. As someone above mentioned, what chance is there in attracting more people to the eL when Roddy basically tells them the standards crap. I could almost hear the barstoolers saying "see? I told you so".
The standard in the league may have plateaued at the moment but it takes times to break through to a higher level. The progress that Cork have made in Europe over the past year or so will stand to them in the future, it will definately benefit them in the second leg. Some folks here seem to think that Cork are getting ideas above their station. What do you think they should do? Not turn up for the second leg? Roll over and lose because the outcome is inevitable? Do you want Rico to say "Well done lads, but ye's are just not as good as them"? It's the job of a manager to raise the morale of the players, he and they have to think it's possible. I don't think Cork would have been beaten 5 - 1 by Dynamo Bucharest, but it happened to Everton, a team with infinitely more resources.

As for Roddys point about the eL players not needing to improve upper body strength because they have loads of heart, what a load of sh1te. I can't believe I just agreed with something Fenlon said.

Come on Cork! You've lulled them into a false sense of security, now just give them a hiding at the 'cross.

kdjaC
16/09/2005, 8:00 AM
Roddy was right and not getting to emotiional in it. Nutsy looked like he was about to cry. The EL is living off failures in the English league. Until we start growing our own like the cheques do were going to have no joy

That would explain why every EL fans best player has never played in England, do you have an opinion box that you just pick out an opinion on a daily basis, seriously your like a yoyo.

Roddy is a muppet.

kdjac

liamon
16/09/2005, 8:28 AM
I think Roddy may have had a point, but it was incredibly badly made. As someone above mentioned, what chance is there in attracting more people to the eL when Roddy basically tells them the standards crap. .....
I think that's the key point. He may think these things, but he should know better than to say this stuff on one of the main promotional pieces we have for the league.
We've been crying out for more tv coverage of our teams for years. What's the point in having the exposure if Roddy then uses the opportunity to ridicule the league. People believe what the "experts" tell them. Do you really think that Sky Sports would want someone on their football programmes to say "The Premier league is cr@p and not a patch on the Italian/Spanish league"?
He should have known better.

thejollyrodger
16/09/2005, 8:35 AM
Kdjac. Yes Roddy is a muppet. Cork were never going to lose 9-2 and should have got an away goal for all their effort. On balance, 2-1 would have been a fair result.

But I think Roddy was making a fair point about the league. Until we start properly developing underage level to the same level as the continental sides do, we are always going to find it hard to compete, it will be virtually impossible to take it to the next level unless we do something.

I think Roddy was saying last night that we have kind of reached a glass ceiling. Eircom League sides can regularly get into the first round proper of the UEFA Cup and depending on the draw, the 3rd round of the Champions League. We can continue getting these results for the next 3 years and jump 10 places in the Co-Efficient table. But for us to get to the next level, the group stages, its going to take another major improvement in the league.

Summer football's advantage runs out at the 3rd round of the Champions League and 1st round proper of the UEFA Cup. Teams that you meet there are too good to lose on a matter of fitness.

Professional football is a major advantage if its used properly. But at the end of the day, we get players at the wrong age for more technical development. There wont be that big of technical improvement in players over 20.

Unless a Roman Ambrovic comes to Ireland and invests millions the only way the league is going to take it to the next level is getting the players a lot younger and keeping them and develop their technical ability, knowledge of the game, physical attributes etc.

That will be a tall order for players who all head off for England.

Cosmo
16/09/2005, 8:37 AM
I think that's the key point. He may think these things, but he should know better than to say this stuff on one of the main promotional pieces we have for the league.
We've been crying out for more tv coverage of our teams for years. What's the point in having the exposure if Roddy then uses the opportunity to ridicule the league. People believe what the "experts" tell them. Do you really think that Sky Sports would want someone on their football programmes to say "The Premier league is cr@p and not a patch on the Italian/Spanish league"?
He should have known better.

Known better my hole, I didnt know he was suddenly appointed as the guardian angel of the eircom league :confused: - he's there as an analyst and has every right to say what he thinks.

Don't get we wrong, he annoys the f**k out of me at times, and he talks alot of crap but the fact of the matter is that the league needs characters like Roddy and Dolan (and he for once had a point last night) - they can be very entertaining for the neutral ;) !

For me I thought the whole prematch and post match coverage was very well done and gave me a chukle just like dunphy, gilesy, etc do when theyre on :)

EnDai
16/09/2005, 8:51 AM
Perhaps his wording wasn't great, and as much as I think he's a ****, he did have a point. I think it was like he was trying to put pressure on the FAI for more funding/advertising etc, but got himself in a twist.

But for the most part, he is right. We are at a glass ceiling so to speak, the final stages before group stages is quite a nice ceiling to be at though. All we need is to maintain this standard, and then one day someone will shatter that ceiling, and as we have seen time and time again, the rest of the teams will pick themselves up to that pioneering level.

Passive
16/09/2005, 9:24 AM
Roddy's logic is: if I really criticise something, outsiders with money will step in and sort it all out.

As we are finding out at Rovers, it's very frustrating dealing with this logic.

CuanaD
16/09/2005, 9:24 AM
get over it langers. if it wasnt for mick devine you would have been hammerd.
Lucky that the game is 11 against 11 then isn't it? The keeper is still a part of the team - Cork are in the enviable position of having a top-class shot stopper - worth a couple of goals a game & he showed that again last night. Corks bigger problem may prove to be at the other end of the pitch - if they could have scored 1 goal it would have set them up FAR better for the return. I still expect them to win at home in 2 weeks, tho probably not by enough to win the tie :(

derm
16/09/2005, 9:33 AM
Roddy's "point" was that last night was as good as eL teams could ever be.

What I saw was a young team in its second season in european competition play poorly, deservedly lost yet still hit the woodwork three times and forced the opposition's keeper into two fine saves. Against a team that was knocked out of the Champions league.

There are many problems with the league but to say that we've gone as far as we can is laughable.

CuanaD
16/09/2005, 10:00 AM
I just took the time to count back the shots on target for each team & it shows that Roddy was wrong - Slavia had 9 on target alright (including off the post) but Cork had 7! (2 in 1st half, 5 in second). So the 9:2 that roddy said is way off. 9:7 more like!
Slavia's problem was with their miss rate - they misset the target 11 times - not including a few ballons which were too far away to count (wheras cork only missed twice).

Vitruvian Man
16/09/2005, 10:17 AM
I thought Cork were unlucky not to score but they were definately not unlucky to lose.

3-1 would have been a fair reflection on the game.

Fair play to Cork as well for sticking to their football principles and not going into their shell looking for a draw but I think they had a lot of problems with Slavia's high tempo pressure game. I don't think they are going to make it through the round but that's no shame.

When Slavia got that free kick was the only time you could hear the Salvia fans in the whole match. They were just chanting this guys name over and over like some crappy martial arts film where the crowd are chanting "Captain Death, Captain Death, Captain Death" while some ten-foot-tall bloke walks up to the ring.

I knew then that this guy is some kind of free-kick expert and sure enough...

Roddy, as I have said before, is a gobsh*te. Even if he is making a fair point he comes across as a total gobsh*te. I was just waiting for him to start talking about himself and bring up the only time in his football life that he achieved anything and, there it was at the end, "when I was at Bohs... blah blah blah."

harry crumb
16/09/2005, 10:26 AM
Talk like that could back to haunt you on Sunday ;) :p

superfrank
16/09/2005, 10:57 AM
I didn't hear Roddy's interview but going on what I saw, Cork just need to get more accuracy on their shots and they'll score.

And training helps with that so it snowballs into more funding for facilities.

I rarely listen to Roddy's rants/comments. I think RTÉ recognised that it was a big ratings scalp cos they called up Bill instead of Daragh and the whole programme was done a bit more professionally then the earlier rounds and the CL.

In response to people saying noone criticised the players, Pat Morley certainly had a go at alot of the players throughout the match.

higgins
16/09/2005, 11:04 AM
Roddy is a tool...

The point he was trying to make is a good one but the way he put it just looks very very bad.

In fact Fenlon was first to make that point earlier on in the seasona nd did it well. Rico too has mentioned it but what Roddy started to do last night was well out of order. Fenlon I think had to disagree with him just for the sake of the EL when I really think he agrees with Roddy.

Fair point Roddy but your timing was well off......

As for the 'we have not made progress' !! who is he kidding?? 24 games was it that fenlon said?... like that always happened Roddy.

sullanefc
16/09/2005, 11:13 AM
I'd have to agree with Vitruvian Man, 3-1 would have been a fair reflection of the game and IMO 3-1 would have been a much better result than 2-0 cos you have an away goal and a 2-0 win at the Cross would see Cork through rather than level the tie. I'm afraid, I can see Slavia scoring at the cross :( which would mean Cork would need to score 4.

But, stranger things have happened and I'll be in the cross that night supporting the boys to cause yet another European upset!! :)

pete
16/09/2005, 12:09 PM
Roody is a fool who is only back in the eL as couldn't get any other job. Rememebr his comments belittling the league when he left?

The eL has made huge strides in Europe recently. In the past we would have left in few goals in the last 10 minutes. Last night City had 4 glorious chances.

People need to rmember that Slavia come from a country ranking 12th in club terms! Slavia would have killed the swedes too. We are a country ranked in low 30s but IMo playing at upper 30's level. FFS Roddy it takes time to adapt to europe & we can't expect to beat teams in top 20 overnight.

Buile Shuibhne
16/09/2005, 12:24 PM
Roddy also said that league here wasn't progressing because of the number of failed English lower division players been brought in here rather than developing our own youth players.

He was the biggest culprit in that regard.

sullanefc
16/09/2005, 2:35 PM
get over it. you lost.
sums up just how crap the eircom league is when we cant even compeat against a very poor team like salva prague.

WUM :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
16/09/2005, 2:45 PM
Wum ??

Jerry The Saint
16/09/2005, 2:52 PM
Wum ??

It's a Czech word which means "Brother of former World Boxing Champion".

Rovers1
16/09/2005, 5:42 PM

:rolleyes: :eek: :D :D

Bosco
16/09/2005, 6:45 PM

I dont but the thousands of barstoolers who dont know any better would have

Ceirtlis
16/09/2005, 11:05 PM
Roddy didnt just decide to go on a little rant, he was asked were the cork tactics right and basically he said you shouldnt try and play such an open game in europe if you do not have the players to do it. i think he was right in that cos slavia were carving cork open especially from about the 15th minute to the second goal. he got a bit carried away tho as we all no he can but he didnt just say it for the crack. Remember slavia hit the post twice on seperate occasions as well as a magnificent same from devine they also had plenty of other good chances. cork played well in spots but slavia were at least two goals better in my opinion

harry crumb
16/09/2005, 11:17 PM
It was an away match in Europe.

I would always favour the home team in thoses circumstances, just the same as City will have more in their favour in a fortnight.

Roddy went to town on a performance of a team away against a good Prague team.

He made some points but he did not make them well.

mypost
17/09/2005, 12:21 AM
I'd have to agree with Vitruvian Man, 3-1 would have been a fair reflection of the game and IMO 3-1 would have been a much better result than 2-0 cos you have an away goal and a 2-0 win at the Cross would see Cork through rather than level the tie. I'm afraid, I can see Slavia scoring at the cross :( which would mean Cork would need to score 4.

Based on last night's game, Cork certainly have enough to pull back the 2-goal deficit at home, it's keeping them out at the back that's the big problem, and going by the first leg evidence, I can see Prague scoring at least once, and Cork won't pull 3 goals back in the return leg. :(

thejollyrodger
17/09/2005, 9:26 AM
Cork may well score 2 goals, providing they get an early goal. The biggest problem is trying to keep Slavia from scoring. If cork just had 1 away goal they would have had a chance.