PDA

View Full Version : How will Ireland do?

pete
22/04/2002, 10:00 AM
simple question really.....

James
22/04/2002, 10:38 AM
quaters methinks
alll down to keane's

roy in the middle, he plays bad we do as a team
he plays up to scratch maybe quaters

robbie: if he can score goals then quaters and maybe more who knows

Éanna
22/04/2002, 12:57 PM
We should get out of the group, provided keane is fit- after that we might make it to the quarters if we get a good draw. 2nd round I figure.

citylove
22/04/2002, 1:42 PM
I would be very confident that we can do one better than Italia 90 i.e. semi-final!
We have the best goalkeeper, best right back and best midfielder in the premiership! and of-course we all know what Duff and Robbie can do. Overall, we can do very well as long as we don't pick up any injuries.

MikeW
22/04/2002, 3:17 PM
Being realistic we'll do well to get out of the group, thats all I'm looking for. Whatever about Cameroon and Germany, people seem to be taking it for granted that we'll beat the Saudis. We should beat them alright, but people are forgetting how crap we were away against Iran (our last competitive game), we lost that one and deservedly so, it was one of the worst performances by an Irish team that i've seen recently, but thats forgotten because it was enough to qualify. Recent friendly results count for nothing, we shouldn't over-estimate this teams abilities, they've done really well to get this far and anything from here on is a bonus. I know I sound really pessimistic, but its the truth - the world Cup is on a differnet level from anything else, even from the qualifying group. Its going to be very, very difficult.

City Fan
23/04/2002, 9:16 AM
Quarters possibly, 2nd round probably. The knockout stages are the knockout stages and who f***ing knows? But, being totally objective, do we really have the necessary quota of world-class and good international class players to get any further than the 2nd round? In a possible 2nd round match with Spain, if they hit top form, would we seriously stand a chance? On a brighter note, we have already knocked the Dutch out of the tournament AND come within a point of sending Portugal via the play-off route, so we do have a now proven record of being able to compete with the best. As I say, the 2nd round will probably be our lot, but then again you never know, football being a funny old game......

Éanna
23/04/2002, 11:26 AM
We didn't knock Holland out. If they had lost to us and won all their other games, they'd be going to Korea and japan. I still say quarters with a bit of luck.

City Fan
23/04/2002, 12:12 PM
We did knock the Dutch out, Eanna and I think you know that damn well. Fact is Holland did NOT win the rest of their matches and going into that glorious day in Lansdowne Road, a win for Ireland would knock the Dutch out. And that is exactly what happened. Nothing complicated about that you'll agree!!

Murphy Out Now!!

Éanna
23/04/2002, 1:04 PM
We didn't knock them out! They knocked themselves out! We denied them the points they needed, but you can't knock someone out when it's not a cup match!

pete
23/04/2002, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
We didn't knock them out! They knocked themselves out! We denied them the points they needed, but you can't knock someone out when it's not a cup match!

Sure didn't we knocked out every other team in our group except Portugal at the group stage. Simiarily we will be hoping to knock Cameroon & Saudi Arabia out of the next phase of the WC?

Optimistic view of Ireland.
- Knocked out Holland & only lost out on goal difference to Portugal
- Unbeaten in the qualifier.

Pessimistic view
- Lucky to play Portugal & Holland just after euro 2000
- Totally outplayed by Portugal & Holland at home & lucky to get win & draw.
- Can't hold onto a lead. Consistently unable to shutdown the game as move closer & closer to our own 6 yard box.

Maybe the truth somewhere in between?

Seanie
25/04/2002, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

Ask 100 people why Holland are not going and I bet 99 will reply "Ireland knocked them out". Like a cup game we denied them the points they wanted to progress to the next round.

Colm
27/04/2002, 4:31 PM
I honestley believe they will, at least, get to the 1/4's. I actually enjoy watching Ireland these days, they are playing some lovely football. They are not just hoofing it to Quinn anymore, they pass the ball.

Expect Damien Duff to set the World Cup alite, what a player!

SÓC
29/04/2002, 2:47 PM
I really think that if Duff plays on the wing rather than upfront he'll do more damage. Kilbane is a donkey of the highest order and Kennedy can go from world class to AUL standard in the space of a few minutes.

Duff on the left with Quinn/Morrison upfront along side Keane.

I'd say the WC will be a successful one for us if we make the 2nd round, after that its all luck.

Look at the last 2 world cups. Croatia finished 3rd in '98 and in '94 Bulgaria and Sweden played in the 3/4 playoff AFAIK, so the semi's aren't that much of a holy grail.

mouldymurphy
29/04/2002, 2:56 PM
id say all the way !
sure didnt we see the carlsberg add:D
and im sure mick thinks we have an outside chance and he has to have a uefa coaching badge:D sure isnt it a fashon accessory to managers thesedays:D

The Legend
03/05/2002, 5:47 PM
Whatever happens, i think Duff could potentially be the Cup's best dark horse!

Schumi
03/05/2002, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
I really think that if Duff plays on the wing rather than upfront he'll do more damage.

The problem with that is Kilbane would provide better protection for Harte at left back (and let's face it he needs all the protection he can get!). As Harte is going to be in the team for his free kicks, he'll need a left winger who'll track back and give him some help. I reckon Duff would be best behind the front two. He could still run at the defense from a bit out and wouldn't have to hold up the ball.