PDA

View Full Version : Thomond Park desecrated

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 10:04 AM
The surface area of the Thomond Park pitch was vandalised yesterday evening when intruders dug several hundred holes the length and breadth of the pitch.

As a result the Under 19 and Under 21 Interprovincial matches between Munster and Leinster, due to be played there on Friday night have to be moved to an alternative venue.

The damage was done between the hours of 5 and 6.30pm and was discovered when Munster officials arrived for the launch of the ODM Munster Senior Challenge Cup.

It is understood that the pitch will be out of conmmission for at least four days.

fosterdollar
15/09/2005, 10:27 AM
Whoever did this surely are a bunch of knobends but i never heard so much bloody hyperbole over a few holes in a pitch as was used in the media this morning...

Sacred me hole

pete
15/09/2005, 10:29 AM
Very hard working vandals to go to all the trouble of digging hundreds of holes.

I don;t think the holes can be that big if can be repaired in a few days. Rugby doesn't need smooth surface so not a huge deal.

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 10:32 AM
Sacred me holeCome to Limerick and say that.. ;) . The game of rugby, and that ground in particular are the most important sporting thing in many Limerickmens lives, and spare me the crap football team, stab city etc jibes.Limerick people are very proud of that ground, and its traditions, and these traditions mean a lot to them, myself included.

fosterdollar
15/09/2005, 10:37 AM
Come to Limerick and say that.. ;) . The game of rugby, and that ground in particular are the most important sporting thing in many Limerickmens lives, and spare me the crap football team, stab city etc jibes.Limerick people are very proud of that ground, and its traditions, and these traditions mean a lot to them, myself included.
What with the planned developments there it doesn't seem to be seen in the same light by all Limerickmen though. It was a crap thing to do to the pitch but the hype around it would make you think the place was burned to the ground.

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 12:16 PM
What with the planned developments there it doesn't seem to be seen in the same light by all Limerickmen though. It was a crap thing to do to the pitch but the hype around it would make you think the place was burned to the ground.
Even more hype a few weeks ago about a few morons etching JUDAS on Tolka Park....

fosterdollar
15/09/2005, 12:27 PM
Even more hype a few weeks ago about a few morons etching JUDAS on Tolka Park....
only really in eL circles... as one would expect. And even then there was one of the "sacred ground desecrated" rubbish thrown around in relation to it.

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 12:34 PM
only really in eL circles... as one would expect. And even then there was one of the "sacred ground desecrated" rubbish thrown around in relation to it.In Limerick, and Munster rugby circles, and indeed International rugby circles, that ground will be remembered forever in rugby history.Club rugby in Limerick is incredibly passionate, and this has spilled over into the Heineken Cup. Munster could fill Lansdowne Road for every Heineken Cup game, let alone pack 14,000 into Thomond. The atmosphere is something really special.

It also is the only ground to this day where a touring All Blacks side were held scoreless, in 1978. That will never happen again in the sport of Rugby Union.

I don't expect you to understand what it means to some people, but try and respect it.

fosterdollar
15/09/2005, 12:41 PM
Equally, i can say i don't expect you to be objective about it. I still maintain it has been given way too high a degree of seriousness. I appreciate how it may offend people but hearing the language used in the national media this morning was doing nothing to help my existing frustration at being stuck in soccermom-bringing-the-kids-to-school traffic on the way to work in the p!ssing rain. (Note I'm not saying it was Limerick people pushing this - the worst was that insufferably predictable @rsehole Paul Collins, a Tipp man i believe)

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 12:44 PM
the worst was that insufferably predictable @rsehole Paul Collins, a Tipp man i believe)

Oxford Dictionary Definition of @rsehole:
@rsehole: person from Tipperary, perhaps some parts of Waterford.

fosterdollar
15/09/2005, 12:49 PM
Oxford Dictionary Definition of @rsehole:
@rsehole: person from Tipperary, perhaps some parts of Waterford.
indeed ;)

joeSoap
15/09/2005, 2:55 PM
Thomond Park pitch will be unplayable until mid October
15:34 Thursday September 15th 2005

Following the vandalism of Thomond Park yesterday, which severely damaged the pitch, it was determined this afternoon that the surface would remain unplayable until October 22nd.
All scheduled games for Thomond Park during this period are to be moved to alternative venues.

The Irish Rugby Football Union and Munster Branch today expressed their total disbelief and condemnation of the random act of vandalism and said they would ensure that the Thomond Park pitch was reopened as soon as possible.

Hundreds of holes were dug in the pitch sometime between 4pm and 6pm yesterday by at least two people, reported to have been dressed in hooded tops.

The motive for the vandalism is not known.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2005, 3:05 PM
well I know who I blame ...same people I blame for everything else

....the fĂșcking GAA!!!! :)

Though in fairness if the culprits were "dressed in hooded tops" it's entirely likely that they couldn't even spell GAA.

pete
15/09/2005, 3:05 PM

Someone doesn't go to all that time & effort without a solid motivate.

I'd say it was Cork Rugby people so Heiniken Cup game gets played at Musgrave Park.

;)

Dodge
15/09/2005, 3:15 PM
I blame Shels new hoolie crew

beautifulrock
15/09/2005, 3:42 PM
Amazing effort to go to, must be a speicific reason..I wonder why ??

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 4:01 PM
http://www.rugby.ie/news/breaking.asp?b=220991

Thomond Park unplayable until mid October

15/09/2005

Following the vandalism of Thomond Park yesterday, which severely damaged the pitch, it was determined this afternoon that the surface would remain unplayable until October 22.

All scheduled games for Thomond Park during this period are to be moved to alternative venues.

The Irish Rugby Football Union and Munster Branch today expressed their total disbelief and condemnation of the random act of vandalism and said they would ensure that the Thomond Park pitch was reopened as soon as possible.

Hundreds of holes were dug in the pitch sometime between 4pm and 6pm yesterday by at least two people, reported to have been dressed in hooded tops.

Wiseguy
15/09/2005, 4:08 PM
I thought it would be obvious by now bit the people who did this were digging for worms to go fishing.

A face
20/09/2005, 10:27 PM

Couple of days have passed now .... is anyone the wiser as to why it happened ??

It could be silly season again but rumour here has it that the Keane?? and Ryan?? family are trying to start a protection racket and this is the result of non-payment ??

Anyone know anything more to this, or are there any other stories floating about ??

Lionel Ritchie
21/09/2005, 9:36 AM
Heard nothing about protection rackets but there was a story in the local paper that a note was left for the cops which basically read "nyah nyah n-nyah nyah" . - might be what fed that rumour.

However -Mayorstone Garda station which serves the whole of North Limerick city is just up the road from Thomond Park so it could be the IRFU are just the victims of some petty little thugs sticking their fingers up at the cops.

colster
21/09/2005, 10:24 AM
I don't know about Thomond Park being sacred but it's definitely holey

finlma
10/10/2005, 3:33 PM
2 young lads were arrested for this this morning.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=158671382&p=y5867zx88&n=158672142