PDA

View Full Version : Roy Keane to miss Swiss

Pages : [1] 2

dr_peepee
13/09/2005, 11:31 PM
Apparently injured for six weeks

tetsujin1979
13/09/2005, 11:46 PM
Where did you see this? Did you perform the diagnosis yourself, good doctor??

tricky_colour
13/09/2005, 11:59 PM
A rather unreliable source called The Sun apparently.

Oh dear.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2005420494,00.html

tricky_colour
14/09/2005, 12:07 AM
Or maybe he is a closet Telegraph reader:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2005/09/14/sfnman14.xml&sSheet=/sport/2005/09/14/ixfooty.html

"Manchester United again start without Roy Keane, who may be absent for up to a month with a hamstring injury"

The Swiss match is the 12 October, which is about 28 days and 18.5 hours (aprox :))
away

geysir
14/09/2005, 12:25 AM
Will you ever quit with these tabloid threads.
From the BBC
"Boss Sir Alex Ferguson has decided not to risk Keane, who reported a slight hamstring strain in training and, with Sunday's Premiership trip to Liverpool looming, Sir Alex Ferguson opted not to risk his veteran skipper."

Qwerty
14/09/2005, 2:05 AM
Expect Keano to have Gerrard in his bacl pocket as usual :)

macdermesser
14/09/2005, 7:06 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4244054.stm

its on the BBC this morning .. although he didn't play against City as stated in the report. feck.

wallis
14/09/2005, 8:38 AM
If you are talking about the Man City game then he did play , he came on as sub late on.

Yet more OTT journalist lies....

thejollyrodger
14/09/2005, 8:57 AM
he got the injury playing against city. i hope he wins his battle and plays in 4 weeks time for us

NeilMcD
14/09/2005, 9:28 AM
This would be a disaster for us.

gspain
14/09/2005, 10:18 AM
out for 3 weeks according to Sky but obviously must be 6 if it's in the Sun.

macdermesser
14/09/2005, 10:47 AM
If we don't beat Switzerland, not only will we not qualify and will we get a difficult draw for the European Championship, it is likely that Kerr will lose his job, just as many on this list hope he will. We will then probably end up with some second-rate or third-rate Brit 'with Premiership experience', even though nobody has yet managed to formulate a coherent argument as to what Kerr is supposed to have done so badly wrong against France. The Irish media will of course endorse the decision to get rid of Kerr. After all, anyone with experience of English football, no matter how poorly they have performed as a manager, has got to be better than the best Irishman on offer, haven't they?

Agree with you 100%. Kerr has to be given the chance to build on what he is done. No failed English managers like John Gregory etc, or mercenaries like Troussier or Schaefer... or ex-Irish internationals looking to get some experience in management. Kerr and Hughton are the best duo for the job.

tetsujin1979
14/09/2005, 10:51 AM
The Irish media will of course endorse the decision to get rid of Kerr. After all, anyone with experience of English football, no matter how poorly they have performed as a manager, has got to be better than the best Irishman on offer, haven't they?
Given how widely he was supported by all corners of the media, it would be a severe case of foot in mouth if they turned on him to support a Premiership manager.

Tired&Emotional
14/09/2005, 11:12 AM
(Realistic) suggestion on RTE that Roy may have played his last game for Ireland if the hamstring injury is prolonged and he'll miss the Swiss game. I realise that he won't play that game if he's still injured but when they put it like that (.."last game...") my optimism for WCQ has taken another dent! Pyschological dent for the team as well...

shakermaker1982
14/09/2005, 11:35 AM
we do need him, ideally with a game in the Premiership to shake off rust, Bad news either way.

OwlsFan
14/09/2005, 12:51 PM
. We will then probably end up with some second-rate or third-rate Brit 'with Premiership experience', even though nobody has yet managed to formulate a coherent argument as to what Kerr is supposed to have done so badly wrong against France. The Irish media will of course endorse the decision to get rid of Kerr. After all, anyone with experience of English football, no matter how poorly they have performed as a manager, has got to be better than the best Irishman on offer, haven't they?

On the basis of what experience do you think we'll end up with "some second-rate or third-rate Brit" were Kerr to be dismissed.

colster
14/09/2005, 1:42 PM
Based on the record of who applied for the job last time for starters. The main candidates other than Kerr were Brits like Robson or Aldridge who were then failing as managers but had 'premiership experience'. If we don't make the playoffs, and Keane retires, I can't see a higher calibre of manager applying for the job this time as we will clearly be a less appealing prospect than we were a few years ago.

Also on the basis that the main argument against Kerr seems to be that he doesn't 'have premiership experience' or 'can't motivate the players because they don't respect him'. Those calling for his head do not take the care to explain who should replace him and why they would be better than Kerr, so I am not convinced they have thought through the consequences of getting rid of Kerr. If I believed that the arguments against Kerr were properly thought through (eg. did the fact that Roy Keane had no respect whatsoever for McCarthy ever prevent him from giving 100% when he was playing under McCarthy? If not, why do people try to imply that if Duff or Robbie Keane underperform against France that it is somehow Kerr's fault? Why is it not Duff's, Keane's, Mourinho's or Jol's fault?), then I would be convinced that the plans for replacing him were also thought through.

I don't see any Irish nationals with 'premiership experience' and who aren't total failures as managers, with the exception of David O'Leary who has made clear that he considers managing Aston Villa, a total non-entity of a team, to be more important than managing his country.

Of course, the FAI could appoint some continental who is also out of a job, who knows nothing about Ireland and little about Irish football, but that wouldn't be much better in my opinion.

Kerr considers the job to be the best in the world and knows everything he needs to know about Irish football. He has made mistakes (or rather, decisions I don't agree with), but I see no evidence whatsoever that he is not capable of learning from them. So please, why don't those who want to get rid of him produce a reasonable argument to show how this will improve our chances in the future?

Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.
AFAIK Kerr has played the strongest lineup and formation in all of the games.
He hasn't tried ridiculous tactics ala MacCarthy or had a Macedonia.
I've said this a few times now but irelands problems are in central midfield. We are playing a converted winger who can't pass the ball and a great player approaching the end of his career who can't get around the pitch as he used to and we have no viable alternatives to them.
I think Kerr should be given a contract up until the WC 2010.
Let him build for the next WC even if we qualify for this one. The likes of Cunningham, keane and holland could all be gone by the time the EC qualifiers start.

NeilMcD
14/09/2005, 1:44 PM
Great post but I would have left out the bit about Alrdridge been a Brit. I know technically he is but he is also Irish. Its funny though, I agree with you about Keeping Kerr but Van Basten and Klinsman both got top jobs even though they have never managed anybody. The French playeres wanted Blanc instead of Domenech. Football is a funny old game and you can never tell who would be successful in a job or not. But what is most important is that you get the players playing together.

Metrostars
14/09/2005, 1:48 PM
Excellent post. Couldn't agree more.
AFAIK Kerr has played the strongest lineup and formation in all of the games.
He hasn't tried ridiculous tactics ala MacCarthy or had a Macedonia.
I've said this a few times now but irelands problems are in central midfield. We are playing a converted winger who can't pass the ball and a great player approaching the end of his career who can't get around the pitch as he used to and we have no viable alternatives to them.
I think Kerr should be given a contract up until the WC 2010.
Let him build for the next WC even if we qualify for this one. The likes of Cunningham, keane and holland could all be gone by the time the EC qualifiers start.

But it was Kerr's tactics of having Duff and Reid come scurrying back everytime France came forward that hindered their game. On the midfield situation, I usually get lambasted whenever I bring up Ronnie O'Brien's name around here. But he's been probably the best midfielder in the US the last few years and I think he could do a job for us in the middle. However for Kerr, live doesnt exist outside the English Premiership. Just look at how long Ian Harte was exiled by him.
In the last qualifying campaign, Russia and the Swiss both skrewed up enough in other games to give us a chance in the last two games. What happened. And then in this campaign, we didnt get the job done against Israel. I blame Kerr.

NeilMcD
14/09/2005, 1:53 PM
Do you not want them to track back. Duff tracks back everytime for Chelsea. Thats how you keep a good defensive record. Henry beat us with a moment of brilliance, Kerrs tactics were spot on against the French.

Reality Bites
14/09/2005, 1:55 PM
Sad state of affair that we're still sweat so much on Roys fitness, just no talent in the midfield area.. although my hunch is he should be back in three weeks, get a premiership game under his belt, and ready to have a right go at the swiss.. man we owe them one so much it hurts!

keenanboy
14/09/2005, 2:10 PM
These stupid papers! Just looking for that extra bit of sensationalism to sell a few more copies...in one report its 2 weeks, then its 4, then 6 in another. Relax, he'll be there when the time comes. There's one more huge game left in him. Must agree with the sad state of affairs in the midfield dept, though, the centre is so poor without him. Holland lacks conviction, passion, leadership etc, Zilbane just can't pass properly etc etc. I'm not his biggest fan, but maybe its about time that O'Shea got a full start in the centre with Roy. Seems to link up well with him there.

colster
14/09/2005, 2:19 PM
But it was Kerr's tactics of having Duff and Reid come scurrying back everytime France came forward that hindered their game. On the midfield situation, I usually get lambasted whenever I bring up Ronnie O'Brien's name around here. But he's been probably the best midfielder in the US the last few years and I think he could do a job for us in the middle. However for Kerr, live doesnt exist outside the English Premiership. Just look at how long Ian Harte was exiled by him.
In the last qualifying campaign, Russia and the Swiss both skrewed up enough in other games to give us a chance in the last two games. What happened. And then in this campaign, we didnt get the job done against Israel. I blame Kerr.

The reason why we didn't win the game against France and Israel is that we can't keep possession of the ball. We give it away far too often.

Kerr's not to blame for that it's the quality of the players. Remember McCarthy's teams let in last minute equalisers and winners. Kerr wasn't around then just the players. We qualified for the last WC because we had a great midfielder on the top of his form with a decent partner in Kinsella.

So can you explain why Kerr is to blame? What did he do wrong in those games?

keenanboy
14/09/2005, 2:25 PM
good post,
I agree with you, Kerr is not to blame, well not entirely. You could point the finger at him for the substitution against Israel at home, Robbie for Kav instead of putting on a striker and killing the game. Apart from that he hasn't done too much wrong...Tel Aviv was unlucky, we controlled the whole game and looked comfortable, Paris was a solid performance...and France in Dublin was just one of those things. If we qualify for Germany next year nobody will care about drawing to Israel or even losing to France

NeilMcD
14/09/2005, 2:33 PM
Plus some times its a bit of Luck. Mc carthy was unlucky in his 2nd campaign but was shocking in his first one. In his 3rd campaign we were blessed. Portugal and Holland at home were 2 of our luckiest performances I have ever seen. Dunne and Staunton were giving the ball to the Dutch and Portuguese to score. Keane was immense in both games as he was against France last week. HOlland at home goes down as a great performance because of the result but we got battered that day. France I would argue was a better performance but we got beaten. Results dictacte peoples memories of games to a large extent. That is why I would say a man should be judged on a campaign and not a one off game.

Lionel Ritchie
14/09/2005, 2:41 PM
this is all hot air.

We wont know til much much closer to the swiss game who is and isn't available.

Have to take issue with Totalfootball calling Aldo a "Brit". You weren't too concerned about his place of birth when he deprived himself of a celebration no-one would've begrudged him, after scoring against Mexico, to get the ball back to the center circle as quick as possible to try and get us an equaliser.

I don't give a crap about him being british by birth so dont mind coming back with a "ah technically he is a Brit " arguement. You're trying to relegate him to "2nd class Irishman" status and it aint washing. Have a bit of respect. :mad:

BTW I don't blame Kerr for us losing to the French -going longball for the last ten minutes notwithstanding.

He does however have a case to answer for six points dropped home and away to Israel and in Basle.

OwlsFan
14/09/2005, 3:20 PM
And then, to top it all off we got the luckiest possible draw for the play-offs. Had we drawn a European team (ie. anyone else other than Iran), I would not have been over-confident as McCarthy always tended to go defensive when in a close game, a tactic that often backfired. Charlton, of course, was also very lucky for his first qualification.

The Charlton lucky theory again. We came top of our group with the most points - how is that lucky ? We drew with Scotland at home and Bulgaria lost to them - we accumulated more points than any other team. That's not luck. That's called a league table. First and only time an Irish team has topped a table in a qualifying round.

I still await your evidence that we'd go for a second rate "Brit" manager if Kerr was sacked. By you own admission the FAI rejected such managers when they went for Kerr. As far as I can understand your point is that we should stick with Kerr because (a) he's Irish and (b) he's Irish.

I'm not in favour of getting rid of Kerr and based upon what the FAI did with McCarthy he should be entitled to another campaign. McCarthy, by the way, is no more defensive than Kerr except that stupid move he had of playing 5 across the middle when we wanted to hold on to something and it seldom if ever worked.

Lionel Ritchie
14/09/2005, 3:20 PM
well at least there's something to talk about here now that this nothing story about RK being "out the swiss game" has been abandoned.

I couldn't care less that Andy Townsend would cheer for England. As the guy was born and raised there I'd find it a bit odd if he didn't have some warmth for the place ...and to correct you -he's British AND Irish. It's called dual nationality. None of the other lads you mentioned "pretend" to be Irish. They're legally Irish and that's the end of it.

Do you think FIFA or UEFA just take players word for it that they're eligible to wear a national shirt?

I know what Hurling is -but beyond observing that it appears at times to be little more than a poorly marshalled riot I don't know the -ahem -finer intracacies of the game. Does that make me less Irish than Paudie McRedneck from the slopes of Sliabh Bawn? fcukin right it doesn't.

brine3
14/09/2005, 3:34 PM
I have no problem with people born outside Ireland being Irish, like Kilbane or Breen, or even Scottish-Irish, like McGeady. But when someone who has never even so much as set foot in Ireland suddenly discovers that through a technicality they can acquire Irish citizenship and 'represent' Ireland, a country about which they know nothing and therefore cannot possibly 'represent', then I am not suddenly going to start calling them Irish just because it is convenient to do so.

It's very easy to criticise people who have a mixed background if you don't have one yourself. If you haven't been in their shoes, then I don't see how you could understand how the likes of Townsend or Aldridge feel and to be honest I don't think you have any right to criticise their Irishness. If Townsend and Aldridge were only playing for Ireland for convenience, then why have they continued to follow and support the Irish team long after their careers are over?

Lionel Ritchie
14/09/2005, 3:44 PM
If Townsend and Aldridge were only playing for Ireland for convenience, then why have they continued to follow and support the Irish team long after their careers are over?

For that matter -until Dean Kiely came along -Aldo was the most recent UK born player to play for us who would've effortlessly walked into an English team. he mightn't have known it at the time when he was on (was it) Oxfords books ...but he could've done.

pegan
14/09/2005, 3:50 PM
Based on the record of who applied for the job last time for starters. The main candidates other than Kerr were Brits like Robson or Aldridge who were then failing as managers (Totalfootball)

Funny, I thought Aldridge was Irish... but then again I thought Sean Og was from Cork.............

OwlsFan
14/09/2005, 4:46 PM
Depends on your definition of a second-rate Brit manager. When Jack Charlton arrived he had success with Sheffield Wednesday in the lower divisions and Middlesborough in the 1st Division and had been hounded out of Newcastle so he would have been regarded by you, I suspect, as "second-rate". I agree Brian Robson would not have been the right man as he had no success at all. Is anyone who didn't win a championship second rate in which case unless we get Fergie, no British manager has won it since Graham - open to correction there, we'd have to settle for "second-rate". Still not sure that's a valid reason to keep someone.

Criticism comes with managing a team. Kerr has done ok. The gripes I've had with him are relatively small (Finnan instead of Reid in Paris when the French were there to be taken without their stars, the substitution against Israel when we were 2-0 by replacing a forward with a midfielder and continuing with Kilbane in midfield on the basis of one good performance there when he is not a midfield player). We're not a great side - we're badly lacking in the centre of attacking midfield but we've done ok. Too soon to be considering replacing him. Even if this one goes bottom up he deserves another campaign but without Keane in the middle, I can't see that one being too successful unless someone else comes quickly out of the woodwork.

I agree there won't be too many managers with high pedigree clambering for the job. Presumably the tops ones all have jobs.

Martin O'Neill is the only half decent manager I can think of who is out of work at the moment

eirebhoy
14/09/2005, 5:06 PM
According to this his expected return is 8th October:
http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php?zenid=2d101d021bc69ce341ec922 fb78aa13b

murtybyrne
14/09/2005, 9:43 PM
There was a statement on the Man Utd. Website to say they hope him to be back in 2 weeks.

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=237089&itype=466&icategoryid=120

BobbySands
14/09/2005, 10:02 PM
Ever since Aldo's outburst at the man in the yellow hat against Mexico in the USA World Cup I've held the man in the utmost regard. Priceless television. Total dedication to the cause.

Having to explain what a taoiseach is ? Not that hard. A cunning opportunist with no regard for morals, truth, fair play or decency.

Qwerty
14/09/2005, 10:29 PM
I think we are getting too complicated in a diffuse way, let's keep it simple. On paper Ireland has a stronger squad than the Swiss and the Israelis. Therefore it would be expected that a competent manager would bring Ireland to a 1st or 2nd place finish in this group. There really isn't any more to it than that.

Roy Keane is important but if we can't beat the Swiss at home without him we shouldn't be going to Germany. We did OK in Japan without him. He is one player, the manager will have to come up with a game plan to minimize his absence, that is what managers are for.

Closed Account 2
14/09/2005, 10:40 PM
I've met Aldo several times, he considers himself to be Irish and always recalls with fondness his days playing for his (and our) national team.

tricky_colour
14/09/2005, 11:40 PM
I have no problem with people born outside Ireland being Irish, like Kilbane or Breen, or even Scottish-Irish, like McGeady. But when someone who has never even so much as set foot in Ireland suddenly discovers that through a technicality they can acquire Irish citizenship and 'represent' Ireland, a country about which they know nothing and therefore cannot possibly 'represent', then I am not suddenly going to start calling them Irish just because it is convenient to do so.

Vinnie Jones is not Welsh, he's an Englishman who wasn't good enough to play for England,. Andy Townsend is delighted to see England win at football and to see English teams do well in Europe. This is normal - he's British, no matter how much some would like to think he's Irish. Wayne Rooney apparently has as many Irish grandparents as Aldridge, Cascarino, Morrisson and Holland put together, but he is a much better footballer, so he doesn't pretend to be Irish.

If people like Cascarino and Morrisson were Irish, they wouldn't need people to explain to them what hurling is or who/what the Taoiseach was. The fact that they do is because they're British, and there is nothing wrong with being British by the way.

So by your definition anyone who has just stepped off the banana boat or got out of the back of artic full of washing machines, and has been living in
Ireland for a few month's is a true Irish man, where as someone who
has Irish ancestry and genes going back as far as is on record is not Irish
if simply because they dpn't live in Ireland?

Your are not a slanty eyed Paddy Chang by any chance?

geysir
15/09/2005, 12:52 AM
I've met Aldo several times, he considers himself to be Irish and always recalls with fondness his days playing for his (and our) national team.
Fondness? would that describe the expression on his face after the goal was scored against England in Stuttgart :)

Colbert Report
15/09/2005, 2:36 AM
How about we give the job to Roy Keane? Make him manager and sign him to a twenty year contract.

thejollyrodger
15/09/2005, 8:07 AM

what the fĂșck is this ?? I cant belive you just posted something like that . IDIOT

Roy is only meant to be out for 2 weeks. Do us all a favour and stop buying tabloids. They are all full of sh1te

Stuttgart88
15/09/2005, 8:23 AM
what the fĂșck is this ?? I cant belive you just posted something like that . IDIOT
Well said.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2005, 9:25 AM
So by your definition anyone who has just stepped off the banana boat or got out of the back of artic full of washing machines, and has been living in
Ireland for a few month's is a true Irish man, where as someone who
has Irish ancestry and genes going back as far as is on record is not Irish
if simply because they dpn't live in Ireland?

As you didn't put any smilie at the end of that to indicate that you are joking I'm nominating this post for the most redneck hick piece of sh!te ever posted on this forum.

Away back to GAA boards with you.

NeilMcD
15/09/2005, 10:47 AM
The post should be removed in my view as it is a disgraceful post in my view.

Roverstillidie
15/09/2005, 11:28 AM
The Irish/non-Irish arguement is irrelevant in this case.

Kerr - successful, winning manager at club and underage levels.

Aldo- failure at tranmere, not worked since.

End of discussion.

tetsujin1979
15/09/2005, 12:13 PM

End of discussion.
I'd hardly describe him as a failure, he brought through a good crop of young lads and embarking on a fantastic cup run meant the league results went against him and he was unfortunately relegated.

Lionel Ritchie
15/09/2005, 1:07 PM

End of discussion.

Aldo nearly took Tranmere into the premiership twice. :rolleyes:

tricky_colour
15/09/2005, 3:51 PM
The post should be removed in my view as it is a disgraceful post in my view.

If you can say what you think is wrong with it I will remove/edit it.

However as nobody who objected to it has yet been able to put forward
a crediable reason as to why they object to it I will leave it as it is.

I mindless name calling is not a credible reason in my book.

If you can't figure out why you object to it please try harder!!!

I would love to know!!!

NeilMcD
15/09/2005, 4:10 PM
Well the term slanty eyed could be regarded as racist. Not sure what you mean by Banana boat.

tricky_colour
15/09/2005, 4:40 PM
I don't see what is wrong with 'slanty eyed' a lot of Chinese and Japenese have slanty eyes, is the term oval eyes racist? is the term Japenese racist? I guess it is as it
refers to a race or people, as does Irish.
I guess we will have to stop referring to the team Kerr manages as the Irish team
because thats a racist term. Also all posts using the word Irish in this forum will
have to be banned too.

The banana boat refers to people who may have arrived from more distant
tropical lands. I don't see whats wrong with that either, I quite like bananas.
I guess they probably fly them in these days though.