PDA

View Full Version : The last time we won the league.

Cork Celtic
13/09/2005, 2:55 PM
:ball: Hi all, this is my first post.
I was wondering would someone be able to tell me details of the play off when City won the league way back when. I was there myself on the great day but my memory is a bit fuzzy!!
Didn't City finish in second place to Bohs or Shels but goal difference didn't count??
For some reason I can easily remember when Celtic beat St. Pats to win the league in '74. Showing my age there!!!!!!!!! :ball:

Drumcondra Red
13/09/2005, 3:31 PM
Play off in 92/93 season (I think) in the RDS vs. Shelbourne beating us 3:2, well it was a three way playoff between cork, Bohs and Shelbourne, if I remember correctly!!!

derm
13/09/2005, 3:38 PM
There was a three way tie at the top with City, Bohs and Shels on the same points. The league rules stated that there had to be a clear winner and if two teams finished on the same points it would go to a play off - they never reckoned on a 3-way tie.

The following season goal difference was allowed to settle things and 3 points for a win was introduced (previously 2)

Shels methinks were on better goal difference, and have been known to say that they should have won the league. However City had won more games and had the new rules been in place we would still have been crowned champs.

coislaoi
13/09/2005, 3:39 PM
:ball: Hi all, this is my first post.
I was wondering would someone be able to tell me details of the play off when City won the league way back when. I was there myself on the great day but my memory is a bit fuzzy!!
Didn't City finish in second place to Bohs or Shels but goal difference didn't count??
For some reason I can easily remember when Celtic beat St. Pats to win the league in '74. Showing my age there!!!!!!!!! :ball:
Three teams finished level on points after the season ended. We would not have won the league on goal difference. City, Bohs & Shels finished level after a playoff. City won the league after a second playoff beating Shels in the RDS 3-2.
Ps If it was 3 points for a win, City would have won the league. :ball:

EnDai
13/09/2005, 3:50 PM
And we would have if GD counted.

But al that is irrelevant, what matters is that Bohs wouldn't have won in either situation! :D

Drumcondra Red
13/09/2005, 3:53 PM
So technically, technically, CCFC have never won the league, good to know that!!!

coislaoi
13/09/2005, 3:58 PM
So technically, technically, CCFC have never won the league, good to know that!!!

And of course what you should have added, is we never will. :D :D

Ronnie
13/09/2005, 4:01 PM
So, Drumcondra Red, would you say that, technically, Pats won the league in 2002?

Peadar
13/09/2005, 4:30 PM
technically, Pats won the league in 2002?

Good man Ronnie! :D

Troy.McClure
13/09/2005, 7:27 PM

Ya walked into that one boy! ;) :p

Partizan
13/09/2005, 8:03 PM
If you add up how many Cork teams won the league over the years, they'd be pushing Rovers very close. :D

Drumcondra Red
13/09/2005, 8:14 PM
So, Drumcondra Red, would you say that, technically, Pats won the league in 2002?

Nah, thats different :D :p :D