PDA

View Full Version : This Forum

dahamsta
20/04/2002, 9:12 PM
FYI, and because I'm a big proponent of transparency, I didn't set this board up as a way of sneaking the Premiership in the back door. I'm going with Leaving Cert level Economics -- Supply and Demand. There were two threads discussing international leagues in the Off Topic forum, and I felt they deserved a place of their own. If it takes off, it takes off, and we might even think of splitting it later on. If it doesn't, I'll shut it down, just like I've done with boards before. There is only one rule for this forum on top of the regular rules - no [INSERT FOREIGN LEAGUE HERE] slamming. If you don't like [INSERT FOREIGN LEAGUE HERE], you don't have to come in here.

adam

City Fan
23/04/2002, 1:24 PM
Spot on. The amount of abuse dished out at eL matches to people who have a broader interest in the game than purely eL is a disgrace!!

Murphy Out Now!!

Éanna
23/04/2002, 1:44 PM
Originally posted by City Fan
Spot on. The amount of abuse dished out at eL matches to people who have a broader interest in the game than purely eL is a disgrace!!

Never seen any unnecessary abuse of that type of person at a match. if you meana fella gettin stick for wearin a Premiershi* jersey to the Cross, I think thats perfectly justified.

City Fan
24/04/2002, 11:19 AM
I am totally against the wearing of Premiership jerseys at eL matches also. But, what I absolutely despise is people being told to shut their mouths and getting other forms of abuse just because they dared utter such unmentionably foul words as 'Liverpool' or 'Manchester United'.
And I have seen it happen often enough out at the X.

Éanna
24/04/2002, 1:53 PM
Well I don't *usually* go haranguing people for mentioning a team- christ knows my own bunch give me enough stick if I even MENTION any other league :D - but I do get very ****ed off when I hear people sayin "utd wouldn't do that" when they don't even know the city players names.

wiseman
24/04/2002, 3:06 PM
Not only do they not know any names,they don't realise they are not comparing like with like!

They will moan about the standard of football and not realise the Catch-22 situation the eL is in....

Need quality players to bring the crowd and need the crowd parting with cash to get the players.

If they bought a City jersey and wore that instead of the foreign team things could be better. However Mr.Lennox does not seem to like foreign jerseys either so he might be persuaded to BAN THEM ALL especially the scottish one from the ground.And if anyone complains about the cost of the foreign jersery they bought for their child tell them 'take em across de water'.

pete
24/04/2002, 4:19 PM
Maybe the shed needs a witty song to slag off the scottish & english league jersey wearers? ;)

I think summer football will improve the colour at the cross as be able to wear the jersey with winter wollies over it.

Given the season that we have just come through its fairly embarishing to be trying to drum up interest in an league run the way it is. How can you push the professionalism of the league with such an amateurishly run league?

:(

The Donie Forde
25/04/2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by pete
Maybe the shed needs a witty song to slag off the scottish & english league jersey wearers? ;)

Am I picking this up wrong? You want to slag people actually AT the games because they are wearing shirts you don't like? :confused:

Seems to me the real problem is the non-attenders...

So many facist fashion police on this board...

People can wear what they want - if they go to NL matches they shouldn't be slated for it.

Jeez, some people have SO many HANGUPS...

Donie

dahamsta
25/04/2002, 11:40 AM
Well said The Donie Forde!

adam

wiseman
25/04/2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde

People can wear what they want - if they go to NL matches they shouldn't be slated for it.
Donie

Maybe...but every time I see a hooped shirt at the X it reminds me of the tallaghtmaggots. :eek:

The Donie Forde
25/04/2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by wiseman

Maybe...but every time I see a hooped shirt at the X it reminds me of the tallaghtmaggots. :eek:

Yeah, but - just supposin - a group of Portuese visitors showed up wearing Sporting Lisbon shirts should we give them grief because they looked like Shams/Celtic fans?

Anybody pays in the gate we should be glad..!

Anyway, it IS a hangup that NL supporters in general have got - an anti-premiership thing. If people were wearing Cowdenbeath shirts or FC Lorient shirts or Vladivostok shirts, would we be upset?

Basically, you pay at the gate = you are supporting our IMPOVERISHED league. You shouldn't expext grief for it.

Donie

City Fan
25/04/2002, 12:17 PM
I think that most eL fans would have no objections to foreign fans proudly showing their support for their hometown team on Irish soil. Wouldn't we do the exact same abroad? The hangup is that at games in the Cross we're all supposed to be supporting City. Yet, there is no shortage of idiots claiming to follow City, who then walk into the Shed on matchday wearing a Liverpool, Arsenal, Celtic or goddamn United jersey. All we want is for these people to show some shred of pride in THEIR hometown team.
As regards it being an "anti-premiership thing", I myself enjoy the Premiership and like to see Liverpool do well, so that is hardly a valid, thought out point either!

Murphy Out Now!!

The Donie Forde
25/04/2002, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by City Fan
Yet, there is no shortage of idiots claiming to follow City, who then walk into the Shed on matchday wearing a Liverpool, Arsenal, Celtic or goddamn United jersey.

I think you've just proved beyond all doubt that your argument is completely twisted and paranoid... :D

You're saying they can't wear English club shirts if they want at a football match in this country? Who put you in charge of these decisions, Pat Dolan?

F'ksake, they're AT the match aren't they?

Do you only watch RTE?
Only eat cabbage and spuds?
Only wear brogues and Aran sweaters?
Refuse to travel in foreign cars?
Never look at English films?

Get a bleedin life: people can wear what they like - it's allowed!

Donie

Éanna
25/04/2002, 2:02 PM
I can see the merit in both sides of the argument, but I still feel that wearing the colours of an english team to an Irish match is wrong considering how much damage clubs in that country have done to Irish soccer

Ruairi
25/04/2002, 2:30 PM
Calm down lads! IMO the people that come to EL matches wearing foreign jerseys are a damn sight better than the people wearing foreign jerseys who don't go to EL matches. Just cause they're wearin a Celtic/Utd/Liverpool/Whatever jersey doesn't really matter, they're still supporting the same team for 90 minutes, be it at the X or whatever. Just cause they're wearing a different jersey doesn't make them any less a supporter than than you or me.

Éanna
25/04/2002, 2:42 PM
Agreed, but it still gets on my nerves-I'm well aware that thats my problem, but that doesn't make me any better disposed to it. I have been spotted wearing a Real jersey @ the Cross on 1or 2 occasions, so I'm not in much of a position to give out about it.:o

Éanna
25/04/2002, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I have been spotted wearing a Real jersey @ the Cross on 1or 2 occasions, so I'm not in much of a position to give out about it.:o

Off you go James, feel free to lay into me for it:p

dahamsta
25/04/2002, 3:21 PM
I can see the merit in both sides of the argument, but I still feel that wearing the colours of an english team to an Irish match is wrong considering how much damage clubs in that country have done to Irish soccer

This is plain wrong Éanna. The people behind Irish soccer, have done quite enough damage to Irish soccer themselves, we don't need to apportion blame to "clubs in that country". If a little thought, effort and money was invested into Irish soccer by these people, it wouldn't have half the problems it's faced with.

As has been said, what people choose to wear is their own business, the fact that they are at the matches should be enough for you. Getting them to buy jersies is a matter of giving them something they would be /proud/ to wear. There's very little to be proud of in Irish soccer*.

Local pride is about the only valid reason I can think of. That isn't enough.

adam

* But there's a hell of a lot to be ashamed of.

City Fan
26/04/2002, 10:09 AM
Since when has local pride not been enough, Vetinari? To any suporter willing to follow their team through thick AND thin (as us City fans are painfully used to), local pride is the ONLY reason needed to follow the team.
Though I am on the 'no English jerseys' side of this debate, I'm still not so narrow-mindedly dismissive as to say that there isn't merit to both sides arguments.

Murphy Out Now!!

Éanna
26/04/2002, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
This is plain wrong Éanna. The people behind Irish soccer, have done quite enough damage to Irish soccer themselves, we don't need to apportion blame to "clubs in that country". If a little thought, effort and money was invested into Irish soccer by these people, it wouldn't have half the problems it's faced with.

Fair point. I'm not seeking to deny the ineptitude of the clubs or the FAI, but the fact is that if english clubs weren't spiriting any young fella who can kick a ball out of the country the minute their balls drop, the league wouldn't be in the mess it's in. I don't blame the english clubs half as much as I do the FAI and our own clubs, but as the saying goes "they may be bast@rds, but at least they're our basr@rds." And I'd rather our bast@rds than someone elses anyday.

dahamsta
26/04/2002, 3:29 PM
Since when has local pride not been enough, Vetinari? To any suporter willing to follow their team through thick AND thin (as us City fans are painfully used to), local pride is the ONLY reason needed to follow the team.

This isn't about thick and thin Cityfan. Or more accurately, it's not about thick, it's about thin. Irish soccer is thin on the ground, it lacks substance, it lacks a decent following. From a management perspective, it lacks caring, often understanding of soccer itself, and usually complete ignorance and/or apathy of basic business tenets. The FAI has middle-managed local soccer into the ground, and the owners and managers of the clubs have assisted them with this at every turn. There needs to be a revolution in Irish soccer. So no, local pride isn't enough.

Take me as an example. I'm not a big soccer fan, but I'm more interested in it now than I was before I started working with Cork City Football Club. The only pride I have for my local soccer team is local pride though, my pride of Cork, the People's Republic. I have very little pride for the club itself, and I certainly don't have enough pride to buy a jersey. I don't even have enough pride to go to a match, because I refuse point-blank to support the ignorance of Irish soccer chiefs. Is that wrong? Perhaps it is, but that's the way it is.

Though I am on the 'no English jerseys' side of this debate, I'm still not so narrow-mindedly dismissive as to say that there isn't merit to both sides arguments.

And neither am I. There is merit, and I challenge you to point out exactly where I said there isn't. But the sad fact of the matter is that Premiership jersey's at Irish soccer matches is a symptom, not a cause. Recognising symptoms is the first step in creating a cure, but you have to weed out the cause first. The underlying cause is the FAI, and the soccer chiefs.

Hopefully Brian Lennox will live up to his promise and be one of the first (I would suggest that, like him or love him, Pat Dolan is one of the trailblazers here) to tackle the causes, and not point at the symtoms and whine.

adam