PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Pitches

bigmac
13/09/2005, 1:51 PM
I'M IN Dunfermline, the ancient capital of Scotland. The town is home to a beautiful old abbey and royal palace, the final resting place of Robert the Bruce, and the birthplace of Andrew Carnegie, the man behind Manhattan's Carnegie Hall and Pittsburgh's Carnegie Mellon University. But I'm not here for the tourist attractions. For me the big draw is a large corrugated iron shack on the edge of town. It's not exactly an architectural gem, and you'd struggle to describe it as historic. But it does house what is arguably the leading biomimetic technology in the world.

East End Park is the home of Dunfermline Athletic football club. In March this humble stadium became the proud owner of Europe's most advanced artificial grass pitch - around 7000 square metres of verdant plastic which, its manufacturers claim, is the closest you can get to the real thing. If they are right, it puts this unassuming local landmark at the vanguard of a global sporting revolution.

From August FIFA, soccer's world governing body, and its European counterpart UEFA, will allow competitive games to be played on artificial grass. The surfaces have been outlawed for competitive soccer since the early 1990s because they ruined matches (see "Turfed out"). But things have changed, apparently. "The quality has reached a level where it is comparable to or even better than some of the natural turfs," said UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson when he announced the decision in November 2004. Since soccer is the most popular spectator sport in the world, that's a major coup for artificial turf, and marks the pinnacle of its achievements so far. But soccer is only the latest in a long line of approvals. In 2003 the International Rugby Board (IRB) decided to allow rugby union matches to be played on artificial surfaces, and last year rugby league was played on plastic for the first time. The International Tennis Federation has also given its approval to the stuff. Artificial turf is suddenly springing up all over the place.

“The grass might be artificial, but the match is the genuine article”That's not to say that sport wants to turn its back on the real thing. FIFA, UEFA and the IRB all say that "well-manicured natural grass" is the ideal playing surface. Problem is, good grass pitches are difficult and expensive to maintain, especially in today's dark, cavernous stadiums. The Amsterdam Arena in the Netherlands, for example, has to be relaid up to four times a year. Many big stadiums already use an expensive hybrid system in which the light-starved grass is bound into a plastic mesh to stop it uprooting. For small, indebted clubs like Dunfermline, a low-maintenance artificial pitch can be a godsend. The club won't reveal how much it cost - UEFA footed the bill as part of an experiment that has seen artificial turf installed at five grounds across Europe, including Moscow's Olympic stadium - but it says that going back to real turf would cost about £200,000 a year. The artificial pitch, in contrast, is expected to last up to 10 years and can be hired out, with no risk of damage, when the club isn't using it. Dunfermline earns about £1000 a week this way.

“To small, indebted clubs, a low-maintenance artificial pitch can be a godsend”Economics aside, however, the club is taking a big risk: last month the board of the Scottish Premier League, of which Dunfermline is a member, voted to outlaw the use of artificial surfaces. Dunfermline says it will challenge the decision in court and has the backing of UEFA and FIFA. But whatever the stance of football's big governing bodies, getting the pitch accepted by those that matter is proving an uphill struggle. "There has been a lot of adverse publicity," says Paul Atkinson, Dunfermline's first-team physiotherapist.

Watching a match from the East End Park stands, it's hard to see why. I can tell that the grass, manufactured by Swiss company XL Generation, is not the real thing. But that doesn't seem to affect the game. The ball behaves itself, the players are wearing regular boots, and no one is pulling out of tackles. The pitch might be artificial, but the match is the genuine article.

Given the history of artificial turf, that's quite an achievement. Previous grass substitutes have proved nothing short of disastrous. They were very hard, which affected the way balls bounced, restricted the players' movements and prevented them from wearing their normal footwear. The nylon fibres didn't exert enough friction on the ball, so it would zip across the surface like a pebble across a frozen pond. The nylon was also abrasive, so anyone who slid across the surface risked getting burns. Soccer authorities banned the stuff in the early 1990s.

Surface tension
Since then, turf engineers have realised they can't just create a look-alike surface. They have to know everything about the properties of natural turf, then design an artificial surface with the same attributes. "We performed a lot of tests on natural turf," says Frederic Vachon, a former biomechanics researcher at the University of Montreal in Canada who is now R&D manager of XL Generation. They also studied how players moved around the pitch, and the behaviour of the ball. And then they went back to the drawing board.

The main challenge was to get the interaction between the ball and the pitch right - particularly the "angled ball behaviour", which is what happens when a fast-moving, airborne ball glances off the surface. A good grass pitch will modify the ball's flight in a characteristic way: a football travelling at 14 metres per second and striking the ground at an angle of 25 degrees will continue its journey at a slower pace, around 10 metres per second, and a reduced angle of 17 degrees. Anything else just doesn't feel right.

It turns out that this behaviour depends on two factors: rebound, which determines how high the ball bounces, and friction, which affects the way it rolls. On a natural pitch, a football dropped vertically will bounce back to 60 to 84 per cent of its starting height. A rolling ball, meanwhile, slows down at a well-defined rate, losing 0.5 to 0.8 metres per second for every metre it travels. Get these two properties right, and you've cracked the angled ball problem.

bigmac
13/09/2005, 1:52 PM
Just as important as the interaction between surface and ball, but harder to reproduce, are the biomechanical properties of the pitch. Most sports require players to perform a range of actions. They have to be able to start, stop and change direction abruptly, sprint, jog and walk forwards, backwards and sideways, jump, slide and fall over.

Most surfaces simply don't support this range of movement, especially when the players are wearing boots with studs on. It turns out that this is because they score too high or too low on at least one of five parameters - shock absorbency, deformability, grip, traction and friction - each of which has a very narrow range of acceptability. For good shock absorbency, for example, the pitch must absorb between 60 and 70 per cent of the energy of an impact. Anything less and players are in danger of getting hurt; anything more and they get tired too quickly. Grip, traction and deformability are equally unforgiving: too low and players lose their footing, too high and they suffer joint and soft-tissue injuries.

“It's hard to know whether the striker's concerns arise from the fear most players feel about artificial turf”After years of experimentation, artificial turf manufacturers claim to have developed two systems capable of mimicking the properties of real turf. The most common type uses polyethylene "grass" about 5 centimetres long, which is lubricated with silicone and sewn into a rubberised plastic mat. The whole thing is then "infilled" with a 4-centimetre layer of sand and rubber granules, which keeps the fibres upright and provides the right level of shock absorbency and deformability. The majority of the 15 or so turf manufacturers approved by FIFA use this technology.

The other sort, typified by Dunfermline's pitch, has a base of expanded polypropylene, a foamy material originally developed as a shock absorber for the car industry (see Diagram). The grass is also made of lubricated polyethylene fibres, but they are shorter and more densely packed than on an infilled pitch, and are also interspersed with short, curly, spring-like fibres that keep the blades upright. The finishing touch is an 8-millimetre filling of rubber granules.

Today's visiting team, Rangers, can't afford to let any unfamiliarity in the pitch affect the game: they need a win to stay in the race for the championship. And they get one, scoring early and hanging on to win 1-0. But that doesn't mean they are happy. At the press conference after the game I ask the goal scorer, Croatian striker Dado Prso, what he thought of the pitch. "It's terrible," he says, "very hard to play."

It's hard to know whether Prso's concerns are justified, or simply arise from the antipathy - and fear - most professionals feel towards artificial turf. But on the latter count at least, players ought to stop worrying. UEFA's injury figures suggest that artificial pitches are significantly safer than grass, with 3.2 muscular and ligament injuries per 1000 playing hours compared with 7.6 on grass.

With the stadium almost empty, I walk onto the pitch. It feels springy and pri.ckly, not like real grass at all. I run a few paces and there's a pleasing sense of both firmness and give. If I had the choice of watching a game here or on a really good grass pitch, I'd take the grass. But it's an awful lot better than many natural pitches I've seen. And ultimately, that's the kind of reasoning that will make or break artificial turf. Sure, a good grass pitch is unbeatable - even the manufacturers acknowledge that. But grass costs money, and that's something most professional sports clubs don't have. The super-rich will always play on real turf. But down at the grass-roots level, plastic looks like an opportunity that's too tempting to miss.

From issue 2502 of New Scientist magazine, 04 June 2005, page 35

Turfed out
IF artificial turf wins over the sporting world, it would be a victory against all the odds. Almost as soon as it made its debut in the Houston Astrodome in Texas in 1966, "plastic grass" acquired a bad reputation. The Astrodome only installed it as a last resort - the stadium's revolutionary roof made it almost impossible to maintain a grass pitch. And even though other football and baseball stadiums followed the Astrodome's lead, artificial turf was never a hit with players or spectators. Many arenas eventually ripped it up and went back to grass.

In Europe, artificial turf's reputation is, if anything, even worse. In 1981, London soccer club Queens Park Rangers dug up its grass pitch and installed an artificial one. Others followed, and by the mid-1980s there were four plastic grass pitches in operation in the English leagues. They soon became a national joke: the ball pinged round like it was made of rubber, the players kept losing their footing, and anyone who fell over risked carpet burns. Unsurprisingly, fans complained that the football was awful to watch and, one by one, the clubs went back to natural grass.

ThatGuy
13/09/2005, 1:53 PM
Are Dundalk now not "the proud owner of Europe's most advanced artificial grass pitch"? Aren't they the first to use such a pitch?

pete
13/09/2005, 1:55 PM
I didn't read the whiole article but the SPL forced Dunfirmline to replace that plastic pitch with grass during the summer.

bigmac
13/09/2005, 1:58 PM
I was flying home from Oslo for the weekend and was talking to a Scotland supporter last Thursday on the plane. He's a shareholder in Dunfermline Athletic (supporters' trust has a seat on the board) and he was telling me about the pitch that they've installed and had all the controversy about. It's FIFA and UEFA and SFA approved but the other premier clubs voted against it (now there's a situation where you can have one in the first division, but not in the premier) so they can't use it at the moment. Thought I'd post this article from New Scientist that I read a while ago on the current technology available.
The money quoted in the article is about right - he was saying that his work based weekly five a side is playing on the pitch at the moment and that the profit from the pitch (once you remove maintenence costs) is about 50 grand sterling a year - that's a big portion of a budget for a club of that size, or an EL club for that matter.
Is there any more recent news on how the Dundalk pitch is settling down?

bigmac
13/09/2005, 2:02 PM
Are Dundalk now not "the proud owner of Europe's most advanced artificial grass pitch"? Aren't they the first to use such a pitch?

I think that Dundalk's one is one of the other versions - grass sewn into a base and infilled with 4cm of sand and rubber.

I didn't read the whiole article but the SPL forced Dunfirmline to replace that plastic pitch with grass during the summer.

true - but that was voted by the clubs themselves. i don't know if there'd be such a facility in the EL for the clubs to veto a pitch like that. Incidentally, the guy on the plane was telling me that outside of the clubs with big stadia and expensive underfloor heating systems, they were the only club in Scotland not to have to postpone a game last season due to weather.

Cosmo
13/09/2005, 2:03 PM
'It's FIFA and UEFA and SFA approved but the other premier clubs voted against it'

Incorrect Bigmac. It WAS FIFA and UEFA approved last year. Not deemed good enough by them anymore. If they gave it the ok this season the scottish teams could do nothing about it.

Craptowns pitch is a a different standard altogether - theres no comparison tbh

bigmac
13/09/2005, 2:11 PM
'It's FIFA and UEFA and SFA approved but the other premier clubs voted against it'

Incorrect Bigmac. It WAS FIFA and UEFA approved last year. Not deemed good enough by them anymore. If they gave it the ok this season the scottish teams could do nothing about it.

Thanks for the correction - just going on what I was told by the guy from Dunfermline.

dahamsta
13/09/2005, 3:09 PM
bigmac if that's a quote, please post a link to the source.

bigmac
13/09/2005, 3:14 PM
bigmac if that's a quote, please post a link to the source.

thought i did at the end of it there. It's all from the New Scientist magazine from June 4 of this year. the last 2 paragraphs were an inset text box within the article.

dahamsta
13/09/2005, 3:36 PM
Please don't tell me you typed that whole thing out.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18625021.300.html

adam