PDA

View Full Version : Lets look at the positive.

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 10:53 AM
Lads it looks like the best that we can hope for is a play off place so I have decided to view this as a good thing for this reason. An extra trip abroad

I would love somewhere like Slovakia. Easy enough to get to, good prices great beer, gorgeous girls and a chance that we could go through. So less of the doom and gloom and look at the positive side of life.

I think trips to

Slovakia
Greece
Czech Republic
Poland
Croatia
Russia possibly

wouuld all be great trips

paul_oshea
13/09/2005, 10:59 AM
so you want us to get a playoff so we can get cheap bear and girls girls girls like tommy lee and co. and on the off chance we go through?

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 11:03 AM
Thats not what I said, It looks like now the best chance of us going to Germany is via the play offs and I was listing a few of the good sides of this. If I had my way we would win the group but thats looks very unlikely now.

wallis
13/09/2005, 11:23 AM
so you want us to get a playoff so we can get cheap bear and girls girls girls like tommy lee and co. and on the off chance we go through?

You can pick up a cheap bear in Russia but its a struggle to get it through customs.

OwlsFan
13/09/2005, 12:42 PM
Lads it looks like the best that we can hope for is a play off place so I have decided to view this as a good thing for this reason. An extra trip abroad

Nope. I'm banking on the Swiss to beat the French by a goal and us to beat the Swiss by 2 and glory be, we go through as winners (assuming we beat Cyprus).

None of those away trips is appealing to be honest, especially Russia after the performance on the pitch and the hard time off it for the fans. Scotland are back in with a shout of a play off place. That wouldn't be a bad one.

youngirish
13/09/2005, 12:58 PM
Czech Republic will go through as best runners up. How about England or Scotland? Both are quite likely to be in the play-offs. It would be funny if England and their team of world class players (at least that's what they believe they have) were prevented form going to the WC by a goal from Gary Doherty in the 90th minute of the second leg.

OwlsFan
13/09/2005, 1:05 PM
Czech Republic will go through as best runners up. How about England or Scotland? Both are quite likely to be in the play-offs. It would be funny if England and their team of world class players (at least that's what they believe they have) were prevented form goignt o the WC by a goal from Gary Doherty in the 90th minute.

Unlikely since Gary is usually only brought on when we've failed to play through a team and tried to go over them.

Yep the Czechs and probably England/Poland will go through as best runners up.

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 1:06 PM
There are 3 groups in contention for the best runners up spot

England and Poland
Czech Republic
Sweden and Croatia

At the moment Croatia have a points average of 2.5 per game

Czech Repbublic have 2.4

and England have 2.375

Croatia still have to play Sweden
Czech Republic still have to play Holland.
England still have to play Poland.

I think England will win both their games and Poland will finish with a points average of 2.4 which would put them in great contention for one of the best runners up.

In relation to trip, all away trips excite me. Maybe I have not reached the cynical stage as of yet, but I love travelling away supporting the team as you get a few days off work, good craic in another European city and a chance to support the Boys in Green.

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 1:09 PM
Czech Republic will go through as best runners up. How about England or Scotland? Both are quite likely to be in the play-offs. It would be funny if England and their team of world class players (at least that's what they believe they have) were prevented form going to the WC by a goal from Gary Doherty in the 90th minute of the second leg.

I would not say Scotland are likely to be in a play off they still have to win away to Slovenia and hope that Norway drop points in Belarus. Then it comes down to their record against Norway which is even as both teams by 1 goal against each other. Then it would come down to goal difference I believe so the scots might have to score a few goals at home to Belarus which wont be easy.

eirebhoy
13/09/2005, 4:21 PM
At the moment Croatia have a points average of 2.5 per game
I've only glimpsed through your post but it doesn't go by average points. If a there is an extra team in the group, results against the bottom team don't count.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2005, 7:23 AM
but I love travelling away supporting the team as you get a few days off work, good craic in another European city and a chance to support the Boys in Green.

Hear Hear.

Stuttgart88
14/09/2005, 10:30 AM
I'm assuming it's total points, but not counting results against 7th placed teams in larger groups.

I reckon Dutch will beat Macedonia at home consigning the Czechs to second.

The Czechs can be second on anything from 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 or 24 pts (deducting the 6 from Andorra/Armenia). They have the Dutch at home and Finland away. You'd have to expect 21 minimum.

Poland already has 24 pts. If England come second it'll be on 19, 20, 21, 22, or 23 pts. Realistically 22 or 23 I'd say.

If Sweden beats Iceland they'll have 24 points. Croatia can still get 26 points. Realistically this is at worst a 21/22 point second place group, possibly 24.

Nothing is decided yet. I haven't checked GD to see which 2 would go through if 3 teams get 24 points (assuming that's the criteria).