PDA

View Full Version : If we make the playoffs...

paul_oshea
12/09/2005, 11:48 AM
reading these boards post wednesday, i have listened to some very good debates and discussion re: players, the team, the manager and tactics, albeit its futile, as i dont beleive lee trundles, gary doherty, robbie i like to boogie keane, brian kerr or any other affiliated person to the irish team reads this board.

However, i do beleive that IF we make the playoffs ( something i have a feeling we mightnt do) THIS team will make it through, dont look back at our recent form ( or lack there of ) in playoffs, but this current team do look better defensively away from home than current teams gone by and we DO play better away from home. This and a solid defense at home I do honestly beleive we can go through on away goals at the very least. remember no other teams in the play-offs have an henry who can produce something like that from nothing, that can divide two teams at the end of the day.

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 11:50 AM
robbie i like to boogie keane,.

He He He
:D

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 11:56 AM
remember no other teams in the play-offs have an henry who can produce something like that from nothing, that can divide two teams at the end of the day.

This is true, wednesday's peformance overall is a reason to be positive about the playoffs.

Dublin12
12/09/2005, 11:58 AM
However, i do beleive that IF we make the playoffs ( something i have a feeling we mightnt do) THIS team will make it through, dont look back at our recent form ( or lack there of ) in playoffs, but this current team do look better defensively away from home than current teams gone by and we DO play better away from home. This and a solid defense at home I do honestly beleive we can go through on away goals at the very least. remember no other teams in the play-offs have an henry who can produce something like that from nothing, that can divide two teams at the end of the day.

I can't see how you can say that we'll make it through when we don't even know the team that we are supposed to be playing :confused:

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 12:05 PM
I can't see how you can say that we'll make it through when we don't even know the team that we are supposed to be playing :confused:

For the playoffs, presuming all fit, I would be happy & confident with the team that played Wednesday with the possible exception of Kilbane.

Kingdom
12/09/2005, 12:12 PM
For the playoffs, presuming all fit, I would be happy & confident with the team that played Wednesday with the possible exception of Kilbane.

Ah come on. You've had 27 or so good posts don't ruin them by saying silly things like that. John O'Shea shouldn't be allowed near a training pitch. There are russian female track runners around that are more aggressive than John O'Shea.
He needs a shot of wake-the-fcuk-up juice.

paul_oshea
12/09/2005, 12:15 PM
I can't see how you can say that we'll make it through when we don't even know the team that we are supposed to be playing

because i am confident ( looking at possible teams ) of over two legs beating any of the teams, however i amnt confident when we are in must win games like the swiss won.... :)

Dublin12
12/09/2005, 12:32 PM
because i am confident ( looking at possible teams ) of over two legs beating any of the teams, however i amnt confident when we are in must win games like the swiss won.... :)

Fair enough,but I'm the total opposite,we don't have the goalscorers and we have no creativity,with the exception of Damien Duff,and if he were injured we have nothing.

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 12:42 PM
.There are russian female track runners around that are more aggressive than John O'Shea.
He needs a shot of wake-the-fcuk-up juice.

This is true........ but I've seen him do it for utd, he has european experience.. will be getting more. I've said before that this is his make or break year, for club & country & I believe he has yet to stand up "aggressively" for us, Look I was in Basle I've seen him at his...................Oh jaysus........ ok ok OK you're right, he needs to grow balls...

..Smashes head against keyboard , Screaming HOP SUISSEE... HOP SUISSE!

youngirish
12/09/2005, 12:54 PM
We won't even beat the Swiss so there'll be no play-offs for us. Kerr will panic if we don't score early and bring on Gary Doherty to break their defence down which will mean game over for us.

Dawn_Run
12/09/2005, 1:21 PM
We are going to top the group - this thread is pointless. Full of doubters

Dublin12
12/09/2005, 1:44 PM
We are going to top the group - this thread is pointless. Full of doubters

For a horse you're very confident,whens the last race you won :p

thejollyrodger
12/09/2005, 2:15 PM
my only real concern is that swizerland only have to come to dublin for a draw. if they need a win they will be exposed at the back. Other wise the choclate makers will shut up shop in their efficent german way and it results in a `1-1 or ` 0-0

gspain
12/09/2005, 3:10 PM
my only real concern is that swizerland only have to come to dublin for a draw. if they need a win they will be exposed at the back. Other wise the choclate makers will shut up shop in their efficent german way and it results in a `1-1 or ` 0-0

They need to beat France or draw with France as well remember. If they lose to France then a draw in Dublin puts Israel in the playoffs.

If they draw with France a win in Dublin gives them a great chance of going through on goal difference. If they win by 1 goal in Dublin France would need to beat Cyprus by 5 in Paris. Not impossible but quite a target and quite an incentive for the Swiss.

Either way the Swiss will probably be going for a win unless they beat France. If they beat France a 1-0 defeat might even do them in Dublin.

As I said in another thread best Swiss v Fra result for us is a 2 goal win for the Swiss and a 1 goal win then gives us the playoff and the Swiss the group. A 2 goal win gives us the group anmd the Swiss the playoff.

OwlsFan
13/09/2005, 12:57 PM
As I said in another thread best Swiss v Fra result for us is a 2 goal win for the Swiss and a 1 goal win then gives us the playoff and the Swiss the group. A 2 goal win gives us the group anmd the Swiss the playoff.

A 2 goal win over the Swiss (assuming we beat the Cypriots) only gives us the group if the Swiss beat the French by less than 2. Us, France and the Swiss would all be on the same pts. Then it's the results between the 3 teams (pts first, then goal difference). Pts would be the same (each would have got 5 pts from each other) so it's then it's cumalitive goal difference from the 6 games between the teams. Thus only losing by 1 to the French was the best scenario if we had to lose provided we can beat the Swiss by more than 2. A tall ask but it's still in our hands for a play off place minimum.

paul_oshea
13/09/2005, 1:26 PM
what happens if swiss beat lose to use 1 - 0 and the french lose 1 - 0?

paul_oshea
13/09/2005, 1:46 PM
"If we won 4-0, Switzerland would have scored one goal more, but if we won 6-2, we would top the group. If beat Cyprus 5-1, then we would have a playoff on a neutral ground. Now that would be exciting..."

thats the type of game i would see us beating switzerland by 2 or so goals - fact. because there would be no "real" pressure on us and the swiss would be going for it from the off.

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 1:54 PM
How can come something in the future be a fact. YOu cant say we will win by 2 goals - fact. It does not make sense

paul_oshea
13/09/2005, 2:03 PM
good point neil, how do you spell should? is it shoudl? Or are you just being mr pedantic today!! ;)

Chelsea are paying an awful lot more to Mourinhio than the FAI can afford. Also Kerr should be given until the end of the campaign and then his record shoudl be assessed.

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 2:07 PM
I like your style but there is a difference between a typo which mine is and a statement with no logic. I know how my mistake happened i.e. I am speed typing as I am in work and typos can happen.

paul_oshea
13/09/2005, 2:13 PM
well i am also in work and i dont have time to construct my sentences correctly both the semantics, sytax and words, hence sometimes we can all make mistakes, even those including typos. :)

NeilMcD
13/09/2005, 3:29 PM
Just think given your prediction about a match and putting fact after it is a bit self righteous.

Jerry The Saint
13/09/2005, 5:18 PM
"If we won 4-0, Switzerland would have scored one goal more, but if we won 6-2, we would top the group. If beat Cyprus 5-1, then we would have a playoff on a neutral ground. Now that would be exciting..."

thats the type of game i would see us beating switzerland by 2 or so goals - fact. because there would be no "real" pressure on us and the swiss would be going for it from the off.

If that happens they would surely have to have the play-off back in Paris! :D FACT! :D

Partizan
13/09/2005, 7:53 PM
I honestly think that after Wednesday night its the play-offs for us at the very most. I just cant see us topping the group. Looking at the prophets of doom and gloom, I think that despite the negative vibes we can sneak into second place and get a second chance. Look, Israel and Switzerland are no world beaters and on paper, we are a much better side even with our very limited resources. This Irish side imho is one of the weakest in years but our only saving grace is that we are not in a tough group and France are no longer the side they were in '98 & 2000.

I predict we will beat the Cippos by 3 clear goals and grind out that important win against the Swiss @ home, 2-1 or 1-0.

Who we get in the play-off is another question but knowing our luck, another trip along the Silk Road in the footsteps of Marco Polo shouldn't be ruled out.