PDA

View Full Version : Psychics, Fortune Tellers, Palmists and other such con-artists

Lionel Ritchie
12/09/2005, 9:51 AM
...personally I think we should execute a dozen a day. Word should filter down through the murky pond pretty quick that the game's up and as a bonus ...TV3 would be out of advertising revenue. :)

So who's on? Who's for?

...and Who's against? Who got told they'd find love and fortune ...and lo and behold -did. C'mon you saddoes. :p

drinkfeckarse
12/09/2005, 10:28 AM
There's obviously a lot of con artists but I don't doubt that many people do have psychic ability. Had it done years ago but can't really remember what was said. I'm sure she said I'd have a drink problem (I don't) but then again she lived 3 doors down from me and was used to seeing my old man stagger home every weekend :D :D

Gareth
12/09/2005, 10:43 AM
There is a certain pattern of manipulation that takes place in many Fortune Tellers rooms where they probe and suggest and measure reaction. I am sure that Darren Brown could give you a very accurate reading but he would be the first to admit its all a matter of reading people, not the future. There is also something to be said about the power of suggestion. If I told you that you would be in a car accident today, you will probably notice more near misses and but a little unsteady and could probably lead to an accident.

I did a study on the power of Fear in school one year, and one case stands out in my mind. A witch doctor, so feared and respected in an African village, told a man he would die before the day ended. The man died that day, but as a result of a heart attack from stress, or you could say fear. The mind is a funny place and I am sure its a combo of manipulation of reaction and playing on the mind that many of these people get away with what they do.

Do I believe that some people are genuine. Not really. Maybe one in a billion but more than likely no supernatural event has ever occurred in the history of this planet.

Bluebeard
12/09/2005, 10:59 AM
...personally I think we should execute a dozen a day....
Who got told they'd find love and fortune ...and lo and behold -did.

Sounds like someone had a misfortune the weekend.

Anyone ever tried getting their money back on the trade descriptions act for failure to fortell the future? :D

Lionel Ritchie
12/09/2005, 12:00 PM
Sounds like someone had a misfortune the weekend :D
Nah. Nothing that exciting...wouldn't indulge one of them for free -never mind part with bucks for them. Just reading an article about these sheisters over the weekend and it amazes just how easily people are hoodwinked.

Four girls in their 20's went in together (didn't know you could do that) for a "reading" and were told "one of them would be engaged soon". Shock horror -one of them is now getting married next year.
Uncanny -I mean what are the odds on girl in her 20's getting married eh?

You want to see if a fortune teller knows jacksh1t about anything? Lock them in a cave for a year, then bring them in a pools coupon and demand half time scores, final scores and scorers for next saturdays round of ties in the Belgian 2nd division. if they get ANYTHING wrong -shoot them in the face.

Anyone ever tried getting their money back on the trade descriptions act for failure to fortell the future? :D

One girl (not one of the four silly bints above) in the article (sunday indo) told of being "dissatisfied" with the reading she got. The chancer doing the "reading" told her that her father would be ill "soon" (think this girl was in her 30's ...so what are the chances of that then? the parent of someone in their 30's ...maybe 50-odd/60-odd/70-odd! getting ill? :rolleyes: ) except this chancers crystal ball needed a polishing as it turned out the girl in questions father was long since dead. More the pity that the girl didn't think quick enough and let the chancer dig a deeper and deeper hole for herself rather than telling her of her mistake.

Chancer did what apparently all such chancers do when faced with blank stone cold contradictory fact -she changed the subject and got as far from it as possible as quickly as possible -though not before trying to confuse, intmidate and otherwise scare the client by telling her that her dead father had just walked into the room and was standing by her side. (yes ...the same dead father who the chancer was quite confident 20 seconds earlier was alive enough to be getting ill "soon") Wicked bitch!!!! :mad:

niamh
12/09/2005, 6:56 PM
Went to see a woman in Cardiff as part of a group.
She left us all speechless, not so much about what would happen in the future but how well she knew what was going on with each of us at the time.
Unreal experience.
And before anyone asks she was told nothing about any of us before we arrived!

Gareth
12/09/2005, 10:04 PM
Its amazing how much you can tell without asking any questions. :)

Éanna
12/09/2005, 10:09 PM
If people are stupid enough to part with their money, they deserve to be ripped off. Muppets

Anto McC
12/09/2005, 10:13 PM
If people are stupid enough to part with their money, they deserve to be ripped off. Muppets

Éanna,i agree with you 100%

Éanna
12/09/2005, 10:49 PM
Too much of this agreeing with Shels/having Shels fans agreeing with me lately- get back to being the horrible shower of moaning jackeen ****s ye are so I can get back to hating ye with my usual fervour, please ;) :p

Gareth
13/09/2005, 8:49 AM
Eanna, giz a hug. :)

EnDai
13/09/2005, 9:11 AM
Group hugs all round! :D

Lionel Ritchie
13/09/2005, 11:24 AM
Went to see a woman in Cardiff as part of a group.
She left us all speechless, not so much about what would happen in the future but how well she knew what was going on with each of us at the time.
Unreal experience.
And before anyone asks she was told nothing about any of us before we arrived!

Niamh -it's a confidence trick. Best explained if the reading had been video taped and could be dissected later. She knew and knows nothing -not a thing -about you and your mates.

Doesn't matter if you didn't say a word -you can tell enough from a persons dress to make a guess on there social background, you can get signals from someones eyeballs wheteher they have been ill recently or are suffering from an as yet undiagnosed complaint, facial lines can give indication that someone smokes which may lead to a line like "you'll be facing trouble/a crisis soon". It's all steaming hot horse caca. You fling enough of it at the client -see what's vague enough to stick and leave them to apply it to their own circumstances.

I'm suprised no-ones claimed it's "a harmless bit of fun" yet. Harmless fun does not cost 2.50 a minute.

I'll say it again ...a dozen a day we should be offing.

We can save on bullets and get extra dramatic effect by getting some fine linching rope and putting our pletora of telegraph poles and streetlamps to good dual use.

Gareth
13/09/2005, 11:34 AM
It would be better to have Russian Rouette? Sit tons of these pyschics at tables of two. One facing the other. They are given a gun and allowed select the number of the chamber in the gun they will have to point at myselves. When it gets down to one chamber left and if both survive, then they can go free. Surely all of them should survive!! :) If dont reach the last chamber and the other is killed, they move table :)

Entertaining and suits your culling Lionel :)

Lionel Ritchie
13/09/2005, 2:17 PM
Now that's the kind of radical, outside-the-box thinking this country needs to get us back in the game!!!!

I like it. I like it a lot!!!

Partizan
13/09/2005, 7:39 PM
What was it, that Jesus said about fortune tellers and their ilk? From what I recall it was the ancient Hebrew/Aramaic version of "a dirty shower of robbin, cheating *******s".

Gareth
14/09/2005, 9:48 AM
Fair play Jesus. Or was he just trying to eliminate the competition?

Éanna
19/09/2005, 10:00 PM
Fair play Jesus. Or was he just trying to eliminate the competition?
absolute classic! Post of the month :D :D :D