PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Carr

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 7:54 AM
Carr has a nickname at Newcastle, he looks like someone or something, I forget what it is... does anyone know it ?

livehead1
11/09/2005, 9:05 AM
Grant Mitchell ;)

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 10:31 AM
nope.

brine3
11/09/2005, 10:35 AM
The **** brickhouse?

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 11:03 AM
NO, thats not its either. I think its a cartoon character or something like that

Rory H
11/09/2005, 12:04 PM
thejollyrodger???

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 12:24 PM
its something like Wayne Rooney being called Shrek. I wish I could remember

superfrank
11/09/2005, 12:28 PM
Mickey Mouse?

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 1:43 PM
yeah thats it superfrank !!

tetsujin1979
11/09/2005, 2:29 PM
NO, thats not its either. I think its a cartoon character or something like that
Terry Phelan's nickname was Taz

thejollyrodger
11/09/2005, 2:31 PM
Shearer was slagging Carr off and kept shouting the nickname at Carr last season. Carr got really ****ed about it

gustavo
12/09/2005, 1:58 AM
quasimodo??

Dodge
12/09/2005, 2:01 AM
**** fullback???

thejollyrodger
12/09/2005, 8:12 AM
now i dont know.. i think it might be quasimodo. something like that,

Dublin12
12/09/2005, 8:37 AM
My bird calls Carr Rodge and Reid Podge :D

Lionel Ritchie
12/09/2005, 9:05 AM
I can't even say what my missus thought about Damien Duff the first time she saw him playing for Ireland (U-19s I think). I'll just say it was along the lines of "Aw ....isn't that great to see? Fair play to him" :eek:

paul_oshea
12/09/2005, 9:13 AM
ya but thats not right, cos for some people thats closer to home, patronising at the best, i hope you let her know

Dawn_Run
12/09/2005, 12:51 PM
Penfold out of Danger Mouse

fergalr
12/09/2005, 12:53 PM
Stephen "Petulant" Carr?

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 1:06 PM
Teletubbie ? Paddington Bear?, Teenage Mutant ?, Sponge Bob?, I think it's Taz as Tazmanian Devil......Since I joined this site I have done ZERO work, this is the last contribution today....

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 1:07 PM
Gonzo.......?

Kingdom
12/09/2005, 1:22 PM
Master Blaster, i.e two manenter, one man leaves from mad Max 3

Dawn_Run
12/09/2005, 1:24 PM
Teletubbie ? Paddington Bear?, Teenage Mutant ?, Sponge Bob?, I think it's Taz as Tazmanian Devil......Since I joined this site I have done ZERO work, this is the last contribution today....

Bet you any money its not...

Irish_Praha
12/09/2005, 5:37 PM
according to this it's "freddy" ???
http://www.topspurs.com/scarr.htm

4tothefloor
12/09/2005, 7:53 PM
He was called Mr. Magoo somewhere because of his constant scowl and attitude, I remember reading it in the independent. Is that it?

thejollyrodger
12/09/2005, 8:05 PM
some of this is hillarious:D

eirebhoy
16/10/2005, 12:27 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=316920&CPID=219&clid=&lid=2&title=Carr+quits+Ireland

Republic of Ireland defender Stephen Carr has announced his international retirement.

The Newcastle ace believes the time is right to quit the international scene after Ireland's failure to qualify for next summer's World Cup finals.

Carr is the third player to quit Ireland following the decisions by Roy Keane and Kenny Cunningham to announce their international retirements.

The full back's decision comes as something of a surprise as he is still only 29 and has only won 39 caps for his country.

"I have made my decision, and there is no going back for me now," Carr told Newcastle's official website.

"I just feel the time is right to call it a day with Ireland. It was disappointing for the squad, the manager, and the whole country that we didn't qualify for the World Cup.

"I would have loved to have represented my country in Germany next summer and maybe called it quits after that, but it wasn't to be.

"Failing to qualify for the World Cup was a huge disappointment for me personally. I missed the last World Cup because of injury, and this time we ended up finishing fourth in the group so we didn't go through.

"I think it's time for me to stand aside now, and let some of the younger lads coming through have the opportunity to play for Ireland.

"I'll be 34 the next time the World Cup comes around and at that stage of my career I wouldn't feel as though I could do myself or Ireland justice in the competition should we get through.

"This has been a tough decision for me to make, but I have no doubt it is the correct one for everyone concerned."

Carr also voiced his support for under-fire Ireland manager Brian Kerr.

Kerr's position has been the subject of intense speculation in recent days following Ireland's failure to reach the finals, but Carr hopes the Football Association of Ireland keep faith with Kerr.

"Brian has done a fantastic job and I sincerely hope he is allowed to continue as manager," added Carr.

"I hope the FAI give him their full backing and a new contract because he deserves it.

"It was difficult for him to take over from Mick McCarthy after the 2002 World Cup, but he has brought some good players through and is very popular with the squad.

"I think people should lay off him and support him as the squad regroups."

The Stars
16/10/2005, 12:30 PM
The Newcastle ace....
best news ive got all week.

gustavo
16/10/2005, 12:38 PM
no big loss really as we have finnan , he obviously doesnt think we can get to the Euros in 2008

ccfcgirl
16/10/2005, 12:44 PM
I wonder whos going to Retire next ?

thejollyrodger
16/10/2005, 12:56 PM
ever since he had that operation that cost him a few yards of pace he has never been the great player of old.

Not a major loss IMO. His attitude was highly questionable in the last few years and was unhappy playing for Ireland. Finnan will get an automatic start in that position now and was always the better of the two.

Plus it will give young kelly a run at the position now as well.. I hope who ever takes over as the manager gives caps to 5-6 of those promising players coming through. Strokes, Kelly, Mac Geady, S.Ireland, Doyle and all the rest

gustavo
16/10/2005, 1:19 PM
i wouldnt give caps to stokes and ireland just yet!

Irish_Praha
16/10/2005, 1:26 PM
Not a huge loss as stated above but it's always a plus to have a few decent players for a position, what if Finnan get's injured or loses form? Kelly isn't even getting his game at the moment. S. Reid could fill in but he didn't play yesterday and I'd rather see him play in CMF.

Donal81
16/10/2005, 1:28 PM
Can someone explain to me why Carr is so unpopular? I'm not being smart, this is a genuine question.

I know why he's unpopular with most of the media, treats them like sh!te apparently (and rightfully so, say most of this forum's visitors).

jimbob117
16/10/2005, 1:28 PM
His attitude was highly questionable in the last few years

How so??

davey
16/10/2005, 1:50 PM
So Stephen, you didn't think your experience might help us out in qualifying for the Euros? Thanks a bunch. So much for pride in playing for your country:mad: I agree with other posters that Finnan is a better option is at RB, but what happens if Finnan is injured. We put our faith in young Kelly without a senior cap to his name?

International retirement at 29, what a joke. Fcuk off Stephen Carr :mad: :mad:

RedX
16/10/2005, 2:19 PM
So Stephen, you didn't think your experience might help us out in qualifying for the Euros? Thanks a bunch. So much for pride in playing for your country:mad: I agree with other posters that Finnan is a better option is at RB, but what happens if Finnan is injured. We put our faith in young Kelly without a senior cap to his name?

International retirement at 29, what a joke. Fcuk off Stephen Carr :mad: :mad:

Well said Davey..i agree completely...if this is Carrs attitude the Irish team are a lot better off without the clown..:mad:

as_i_say
16/10/2005, 2:20 PM
yep. he's been a right bag of shi te for the past few years.

Cosmo
16/10/2005, 2:26 PM
Wish him all the best :) , was very unlucky with injuries. Would rate Finnan over him myself

dont hold it against any player that decides to retire from international football early - its their lives after all

thejollyrodger
16/10/2005, 2:32 PM
he was sulking a lot and had a few tifs with the manager AFAIR. His performance on the pitch for ireland wasnt his best either.

junkie
16/10/2005, 2:33 PM
I can have respect for players of the likes of Roy Keane and Kenny Cunningham who have played for years, earned a huge amount of caps, wore their heart on the sleeve for their country and who don't have age on their side BUT for a player who is only 29, earned only 39 caps for his country and who has hardly lived up to his perfomances for his club to retire from international football is an absolute outrage.

Stephen Carr you are a disgrace.

Go ahead abandon ship..... we're better off without players like you. :mad:

RedX
16/10/2005, 2:55 PM
Wish him all the best :) , was very unlucky with injuries. Would rate Finnan over him myself

dont hold it against any player that decides to retire from international football early - its their lives after all

Dont agree there Cosmo..of course its his own life but at 29 to retire from playing for your country is a bloody disgrace..he should be lucky to represent us..the guy walks around like the weight of the world is on his shoulders and a face that would sour milk..if he only looked at it from our side rather than his millionaire dont give a dam side..:mad:

Colbert Report
16/10/2005, 2:59 PM
he's fat and unable to get himself into better shape. i'm glad he's gone, finnan is miles ahead of him

Armando
16/10/2005, 3:03 PM
As far as I know Carr has never played in a tournament finals with Ireland. This really smacks of throwing in the towel. Where is his hunger? So he's happy just winding down his career at rudderless Newcastle? He hasn't earned the right to announce his retirement from international football - it seems very arrogant. It really makes you appreciate the likes of McGrath, Irwin and Aldridge all the more.

thejollyrodger
16/10/2005, 3:25 PM
Where is his hunger
Down in KFC along with Andy Reids :D:D

The amount of mistakes Carr made this campaign was criminal. He was lucky to stay on the pitch against the French in Stade de France. The press laid off him because they knew he wanted to throw the towel in.

I wont shed a tear for Taz since we are strong enough in that position. Its one less ego to massage and lets face it, he hasnt been doing it in years.

BYE BYE TAZ. You were crap since the operation anyway.

4tothefloor
16/10/2005, 4:39 PM
Stephen Carr was a big pile of sh!te anyway and shouldn't have been getting his game since the Euro 2004 qualifiers. Can anyone actually remember a game in recent years where he played well or stood out, or gave his all? I can't. If you ask me he is probably the most over-rated Irish player currently plying his trade. Carr is no loss cos Finnan is twice the player he is anyway, and more versatile to boot.

Good riddance to him, and the very fact that he is throwing in the towel when a player of his experience is needed the most shows perfectly his attitude....

brine3
16/10/2005, 5:30 PM
He was quite a player before he got that injury (remember his performance in Amsterdam), but it has been downhill ever since. Finnan has been better than him for at least four years now.

In fairness, even though he can come across as a bit of an arse he did give it his all when playing for Ireland. Just a shame he sometimes tried to dribble out of defence for no reason and ended up getting caught for pace. (Perhaps the doctors didn't tell him about the extent of his injury.)

So yeah, thanks Stephen and all, but 29 years old?? Look at Cafu, won the World Cup as a right back aged 34.

Tram_14
16/10/2005, 5:54 PM
Lazy, disinterested, No vision, complacent & retiring at 29 sums up Carr's attitude. I was outside Slatterys when the team bus went by & carr had such a face on him & he looked embarrased by the fans singing. His last game was terrible, fat, slow & unprofessional.

He's caught in possession too often, can't get by his man & often gets in an argument with his opposite number to disguise a mistake he has just made.

He's been poor for a long time now. No loss.

Cosmo
16/10/2005, 7:28 PM
Dont agree there Cosmo..of course its his own life but at 29 to retire from playing for your country is a bloody disgrace..he should be lucky to represent us..the guy walks around like the weight of the world is on his shoulders and a face that would sour milk..if he only looked at it from our side rather than his millionaire dont give a dam side..:mad:

In fairness, he's not in the army. If he or any other player is not happy playing with ireland (just like scholes seemed unhappy playing with england for the couple of years before his international retirement), well I wouldnt want them on the pitch for us or for them. Lifes too short :)

Obviously in the ideal world, playing for your country should be the greatest honour in life, biggest thrill, etc etc (i know it would be for me, still waiting on my first call up :D )but hey it mightnt be for everyone

The Bit O'Red
16/10/2005, 8:04 PM
It's bad form if you ask me, surely at 29 he's still got one campaign left in him.