PDA

View Full Version : Cork Stewards

Pages : [1] 2

dublinwanderer
10/09/2005, 6:18 PM
At match in cork on friday, thought the stewards were way over the top with security - searching everyones bags like as if there was bombs in them..... They took receipt rolls off us which was expected but they left us with a large roll of cellotape which would have knock someone out if thrown.
Also had bray flag up behind us on the wall which we had to remove because in covered the away fans only sign everyone knows it the away fans section by now and it was a bray flag as well so people would know who we are.. Pathetic!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dodge
10/09/2005, 6:27 PM
Last ime we were down there on a friday i was in work that morning and among th items in my bag was a deodorent. Steward told me I shouldn't be bringing this to the game...

RedX
10/09/2005, 8:46 PM
At match in cork on friday, thought the stewards were way over the top with security - searching everyones bags like as if there was bombs in them..... They took receipt rolls off us which was expected but they left us with a large roll of cellotape which would have knock someone out if thrown.
Also had bray flag up behind us on the wall which we had to remove because in covered the away fans only sign everyone knows it the away fans section by now and it was a bray flag as well so people would know who we are.. Pathetic!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

There are no grounds with decent stewarding across Europe that would allow you to block a sign...the sign was put there for people to read it and not to be covered with a banner..in all fairness use your head..they are doing there jobs...

Dodge..that can could be used as a weapon..i am not saying you would be out to cause anyone hassle but the stewards dont know you so again they are doing there jobs..think about it...it could be used against you if people were allowed to bring in deodrant cans in other games in the league..think about it...

The stewards in Cork are not perfect but they are very good and possibly the best in the country...

Conor H
10/09/2005, 8:58 PM
There are no grounds with decent stewarding across Europe that would allow you to block a sign...the sign was put there for people to read it and not to be covered with a banner..in all fairness use your head..they are doing there jobs...

Dodge..that can could be used as a weapon..i am not saying you would be out to cause anyone hassle but the stewards dont know you so again they are doing there jobs..think about it...it could be used against you if people were allowed to bring in deodrant cans in other games in the league..think about it...

The stewards in Cork are not perfect but they are very good and possibly the best in the country...
Wouldn't agree with ya there.When we played yee in Terryland yee let off smoke bombs and our stewards allowed it.Whaen we played yee in the replay yere guys took receipt rolls and smoke boms off us,even though they were aware yee had let them off in Terryland.Thought it was a bit unfair :confused:

RedX
10/09/2005, 9:07 PM
Wouldn't agree with ya there.When we played yee in Terryland yee let off smoke bombs and our stewards allowed it.Whaen we played yee in the replay yere guys took receipt rolls and smoke boms off us,even though they were aware yee had let them off in Terryland.Thought a bit unfair :confused:

Conor..first just to say it was a great night in Galway and fair play to your stewards..it was the way it should be...flares the works and no problem..

But on saying that we as City fans are not allowed to scratch our arses at times just like the away fans..they can be overboard at times but i would take that anyday to be safe in the ground..for years there were fans coming down from certain clubs doing what they wanted in the ground..eg..mainly Rovers and Bohs fans..running on the pitch when they scored..drinking in the ground and walking into City areas...now things have changed and while they are overboard sometimes it is a safe ground..would you want some scumbag next to you with a deodrant can in his pocket?..and no Dodge i dont mean you at all..just thinking of the bigger picture..and you are not allowed to block signs anywhere either and thats the way it should be..thsi is just my opinion...

Conor H
10/09/2005, 9:13 PM
Conor..first just to say it was a great night in Galway and fair play to your stewards..it was the way it should be...flares the works and no problem..

But on saying that we as City fans are not allowed to scratch our arses at times just like the away fans..they can be overboard at times but i would take that anyday to be safe in the ground..for years there were fans coming down from certain clubs doing what they wanted in the ground..eg..mainly Rovers and Bohs fans..running on the pitch when they scored..drinking in the ground and walking into City areas...now things have changed and while they are overboard sometimes it is a safe ground..would you want some scumbag next to you with a deodrant can in his pocket?..and no Dodge i dont mean you at all..just thinking of the bigger picture..and you are not allowed to block signs anywhere either and thats the way it should be..thsi is just my opinion...
Ya fair enough i agree with what you say but i just thought that when yee let them off in our ground there wouldn't have been that much of a problem with us letting them off down in the cross.

Dodge
10/09/2005, 9:20 PM
Common sense would tell you its not going to be a weapon. Would they take lighters off everybody?

RedX
10/09/2005, 9:25 PM
Common sense would tell you its not going to be a weapon. Would they take lighters off everybody?

You mean you had a lighter in your pocket also?.. ;)

superfrank
10/09/2005, 10:02 PM
Sure the Cork fans had flares at the match in the Carlisle too and they looked personally offended when they were forced to relinquish them.

RedX
10/09/2005, 10:13 PM
Sure the Cork fans had flares at the match in the Carlisle too and they looked personally offended when they were forced to relinquish them.

Why does it not surprise me that you have joined in this thread Superfrank...and of course the usual constructive comments.. :confused:

superfrank
10/09/2005, 10:17 PM
The truth always comes out.....I said it about Bohs fans when they harassed us, I said it bout Rovers fans when they threw bangers on the pitch, I said it about Pats fans bringing flares to the Carlisle aand now I'm saying it about the Cork fans.

BohsFans
11/09/2005, 12:00 AM
The only ground where we run on the pitch is the Carlisle Ground - FACT!

Ah superfrank, we harassed you :rolleyes: will ya ever grow up!

Slash/ED
11/09/2005, 2:39 AM

didn't a few Bohs fans run onto the pitch in Richer on friday? And certinaly one Bohs fan on his own ran onto the pitch in Tolka too. Wasn't exactly a pitch invasion for the ages it has to be said.

Risteard
11/09/2005, 6:55 AM
Must say the strong segregation at the cross is a bit ridiculous and sends out the wrong message.
Save for matches where there's a bit of trouble expected, it only lessens the banter and creates piissed off people. They wouldn't let me go from Derrynane to the chipper at Longford match.
Ridiculous.

dahamsta
11/09/2005, 7:14 AM
It has to be said, the "you were allowed so why weren't we" argument it probably the most childish one I've seen around here in a while, and we get some bloody childish arguments on Foot.ie. Would you read what you're writing for a second?

Dodge, how exactly is a steward supposed to know that you're not going to use a deodorant as a weapon? Explain this particular “common sense” to me.

adam

Supersaint3
11/09/2005, 9:53 AM

there was a good 30 of you on the pitch on Friday - FACT :rolleyes:

Cosmo
11/09/2005, 9:54 AM
didn't a few Bohs fans run onto the pitch in Richer on friday? And certinaly one Bohs fan on his own ran onto the pitch in Tolka too. Wasn't exactly a pitch invasion for the ages it has to be said.

Pitch invasion also in united park this season - dont know why they bother cos it looks gay.

'Dodge, how exactly is a steward supposed to know that you're not going to use a deodorant as a weapon? Explain this particular “common sense” to me.'

I think if you were going to bring a 'weapon' to a match you'd bring something more useful that a can of deodrant. Sure if youre going there, with proper common sense, should we be searched and refused entry if we have coins in our pockets :confused: . Coins would be a lot more 'lethal' than a can of lynx

dahamsta
11/09/2005, 11:07 AM
I think if you were going to bring a 'weapon' to a match you'd bring something more useful that a can of deodrant.That assumes that all acts of violence at soccer grounds are premeditated, whereas I reckon that if anything the opposite is true in Ireland. In anger, everything becomes a weapon, and it's up to security staff to foresee this.

Coins would be a lot more 'lethal' than a can of lynxI think I'd prefer to be hit in the head with a coin that with a flame from a can of Lynx.

adam

Dodge
11/09/2005, 11:24 AM
Dodge, how exactly is a steward supposed to know that you're not going to use a deodorant as a weapon? Explain this particular “common sense” to me.

adam
Commen sense tells you that on a friday evening in Cork, most of the crowd from Dublin will have been in work for half days. In my bag was a change of clothes and a deodorant. AFAIK there has never been a deodorant used as a weapon in any Irish football ground. If I was going to use any weapons I would certianly hide it in my person (unlikely to have pockets searched)

He may have been technically correct but I still think it was OTT

Anto McC
11/09/2005, 11:53 AM
Commen sense tells you that on a friday evening in Cork, most of the crowd from Dublin will have been in work for half days. In my bag was a change of clothes and a deodorant.

If it was just a can of Lynx,I'd say the steward was right but the change of clothes probably gave it away that he wasn't intending on causing any trouble with it

Dr.Nightdub
11/09/2005, 11:58 AM
Just to illustrate the general idiocy of stewards' "potential weapons" policies, at an Ireland match a couple of years ago, having stored my drum in the portacabin beforehand with all the rest of the eL fans' stuff, I collected it and went round to the turnstiles:
Steward - "You can't bring those drumsticks in"
Me - "Why not?"
Steward - "They could be used as weapons"
Me - "But I can bring the drum in?"
Steward - "Of course"
Me - "And I play it how? Headbutt it?"
I just went to the next turnstile, where the steward had a functioning brain.

Adam, I know what you're saying about anything to hand becoming a potential weapon / missile in the heat of the moment, but in that case they'd be confiscating mobile phones, zippo lighters, keys, the works.

bohs til i die
11/09/2005, 11:58 AM

absolute sh1te. Cork stewards are a bunch of tossers who make visiting fans feel unwelcome with their in your face confrontational manner and unwillingness to listen to reason.

Also, they removed a bag belonging to a Bohs fan back in June and along with a Garda proceeded to search it without the owners permission

Dr.Nightdub
11/09/2005, 12:05 PM
On the bag-searching, there's probably something in the small print of the ground regulations about everyone who buys a ticket agreeing to their bag being searched, just like if you buy a ticket for a gig.

superfrank
11/09/2005, 12:10 PM
This is the thing every club/ground has ground regulations on the back of the ticket or in their program and they're pretty much the same up and down the country so why do people still bring stuff to away grounds when they know their club wouldn't have them??

It's common sense.

sullanefc
11/09/2005, 12:18 PM

Jebus H Christ! That has to be the most whiney post ever. If you bring a bag to any sporting ground in the world, it's going to be searched. Can't believe you are complaining about that. And covering up signs is just not on either. The signs are there for a reason!! And a roll of cellotape being able to knock someone out??? Get a life man! :rolleyes:

dahamsta
11/09/2005, 1:28 PM
by the way. nobody except a cop has a right to look into anyones bags or serch anyones pocketsThey don't need a right, it's a voluntary search. If you don't submit to the search, they do have the right to refuse entry. (It's "thug" btw.)

Dodge, I take your point and there's no doubt that people in uniform can be complete tools, but I don't think it's something I could hold against a club. Those guys probably go through dozens or hundreds of bags and have to make snap judgements. In your case he probably make a mistake. People make mistakes.

adam

Dodge
11/09/2005, 2:14 PM
Don't hold it against Cork (have way more valid reasons than that :) ) I was just adding to the list started by dublinwanderer...

bohs til i die
11/09/2005, 4:19 PM
On the bag-searching, there's probably something in the small print of the ground regulations about everyone who buys a ticket agreeing to their bag being searched, just like if you buy a ticket for a gig.

but they have no right to take a persons bag without his permission for the purpose of searching it, and neither do the Gardai.

ORPCS
11/09/2005, 9:25 PM
Hands up anyone who can say that they have a great set of match day stewards? There might be the odd decent one here and there - but my own personal view of them is that they often escalate minor situations, think nothing of threatening children at matches with a good hidding, are usually the first to swing a punch at a match, are full of their own self-importance, Only got into stewarding in the first place because they resented paying into matches and revel in an authoritarian role at the club... and probably wouldnt bother helping out on matchday at all if it involved selling ballots or making tea.

slightly tongue in cheek but nevertheless ...... Discuss.

Éanna
11/09/2005, 10:40 PM
They searched your bags? I'd call that doing their job. You covered a sign- read the ground regulations- its not allowed.

Must say the strong segregation at the cross is a bit ridiculous and sends out the wrong message.
Save for matches where there's a bit of trouble expected, it only lessens the banter and creates piissed off people. They wouldn't let me go from Derrynane to the chipper at Longford match.
Ridiculous.
Why? Its done in a professional manner, and we've all seen the problems caused by poor segregation in the past.

I've given out about the stewards at the cross this season, because a few of them are over the top and very confrontational. That said, the security at the cross is light years ahead of most clubs in the country, and is the most professional in the league by some distance. Its ridiculous really- we're paying big money to do the stewarding in a professional manner, and other clubs just throw bibs on fans and leave them watch the game and ignore whats happening.

pete
12/09/2005, 10:35 AM
A lot of City fans already have issues with over zealous nature of the home Stewards.

In defense of the stewards at the cross i would say that they are the only stewards in the eL that watch the crowd & not the game as they are paid to do so. I think that company have now been employed by the FAI for internationals.

Fans are never allowed on the pitch at the cross. The cross has the biggest crowds in the league so needs highest level of security.

Pablo
12/09/2005, 11:04 AM
Cork Citys stewards now do Security at Ireland matches.

Over the top they are at times, but pretty professional to be fair to them

Dodge
12/09/2005, 11:23 AM
Cork Citys stewards now do Security at Ireland matches.

Over the top they are at times, but pretty professional to be fair to them
Most clubs do it don't they?

Pablo
12/09/2005, 11:43 AM
Most clubs do it don't they?

the security firm that do stwarding at the Cross were awarded the contract for security at Lansdowne

Dodge
12/09/2005, 12:06 PM
Oh right, thought you were talking abotu volunteers rather than the sucurity firm employed by Cork...

Éanna
12/09/2005, 12:17 PM
Oh right, thought you were talking abotu volunteers rather than the sucurity firm employed by Cork...
nah, JD security are the security firm City use, and they've just been awarded the contract for internationals- first time a non-Dublin firm has got it apparently.

Macy
12/09/2005, 12:28 PM
Have they started doing internationals yet? Being better than the current lot is like a team saying it has a better european record than Town....

Taking off a can of lynx is ridiculous - what next keys, coins and mobile phones?

Both policing and stewarding across the league are absolutely pathetic imo. Cause more trouble than they prevent...

tiktok
12/09/2005, 1:05 PM

The reason there were so much hassle about the flares that night was quite simply that when the stewards confiscatedc them, they hadn't a clue how to handle them. I had to tell a Steward to hold it upright, he had it facing down near his orange plastic coat ffs.

We then told them to get a bucket of sand to quench it or else they'd just have to leave it burn out, their solution was to chuck it over the back wall without seeing what was there first.

CCFC fans have had planty to say against the stewards at the cross as have a lot of away fans, it's quite clear it's not just one person or one set of fans having a whinge. Our stewards are too heavy handed, compare them to the stewards in Drogheda who when faced with a bunch of irate City fans calmed the situation down by talking to us.

There's no doubt our stewards have questions to answer about their attitude, they'd need reminding that they're function should be prevention.

superfrank
12/09/2005, 3:10 PM
That's true actually the Drogs stewards are very good at their job. I remember they wanted us to move a flag but they were pleasant about it. I wasn't at Turner's on Friday so I won't comment on it.

KR's Post
12/09/2005, 4:28 PM
Cork stewards are real in your face... The sign we covered was very small to say the least. For gods sake why the hell all the fuss about covering a sign that says ''Away supporters only'' when all of us were there anyway and im sure all the home fans know by now where the god damn away section is... We were then putting up flagson the seats beside us, ok the steward(The Bald guy) said they were fine there, but then about 30mins into the game we were told to remove them after it had begun to rain. Plenty of room on the far side for people to sit! But NO... Coming into the ground, ok fair enough they checked our bags, took receipt rolls and other items. Have we not got the right to get em back??? Down their last time a fog-horn was removed from my possesion and was given back at the end! They also took every flag out of our bag and inspected the lettering on them!! C'mon we're not that sad to insult you by ruining our own flags with s-hite. God whats Landsdowne going to be like now, NO mobile phones will be allowed soon!

Cosmo
12/09/2005, 6:46 PM
That's true actually the Drogs stewards are very good at their job. I remember they wanted us to move a flag but they were pleasant about it. I wasn't at Turner's on Friday so I won't comment on it.

Nice one, and ask one or two of the bohs casuals about them :D

Tbh, cant really comment on our stewards as i havent had too many dealings with them but hear very little complaints

BohsFans
12/09/2005, 8:00 PM

Disagree there, one of the Drogs stewards tried to take a spliff off me in United Park this season.
A ****in spliff!! :eek: I'll smoke at my own risk, its nothing to do matchday stewards!!

Éanna
12/09/2005, 10:26 PM
Cork stewards are real in your face... The sign we covered was very small to say the least. For gods sake why the hell all the fuss about covering a sign that says ''Away supporters only'' when all of us were there anyway and im sure all the home fans know by now where the god damn away section is... The stadium regulations are quite clear- you're not allowed cover flags. Stewards were doing their job professionally. Stop moaning.

RedX
12/09/2005, 10:42 PM
Cork stewards are real in your face... The sign we covered was very small to say the least. For gods sake why the hell all the fuss about covering a sign that says ''Away supporters only'' when all of us were there anyway and im sure all the home fans know by now where the god damn away section is... We were then putting up flagson the seats beside us, ok the steward(The Bald guy) said they were fine there, but then about 30mins into the game we were told to remove them after it had begun to rain. Plenty of room on the far side for people to sit! But NO... Coming into the ground, ok fair enough they checked our bags, took receipt rolls and other items. Have we not got the right to get em back??? Down their last time a fog-horn was removed from my possesion and was given back at the end! They also took every flag out of our bag and inspected the lettering on them!! C'mon we're not that sad to insult you by ruining our own flags with s-hite. God whats Landsdowne going to be like now, NO mobile phones will be allowed soon!

You are becoming funny..if you lot had your way there would be women going into the mens jacks in Landsdowne when all the Bray lads start covering all the signs..ah sure they were only small signs says you.. ;)

Cosmo
13/09/2005, 8:06 AM
The stadium regulations are quite clear- you're not allowed cover flags. Stewards were doing their job professionally. Stop moaning.

then why were some of your lot crying when ye werent allowed bring in a megaphone to united park :p

dahamsta
13/09/2005, 12:42 PM
There's that us and them mentality again.

Cosmo
13/09/2005, 1:15 PM
There's that us and them mentality again.

Sad isn't it? :rolleyes:

superfrank
13/09/2005, 3:41 PM
if you lot had your way there would be women going into the mens jacks in Landsdowne
Would that be such a bad thing??

KR's Post
13/09/2005, 4:10 PM
The stadium regulations are quite clear- you're not allowed cover flags.

We weren't!!!!! SIGNS
Ah it's all a bunch of crap.. We're just moaning because we lost, probably! ;)

Colm
13/09/2005, 7:12 PM
cork stewards are nothing but pure scumbags just like most of there fans who abuse pat dolan everytime he attends a match to do commentry for tv.

Pat Dolan does not get abused by Cork City fans. Stop trying to stir sh!t.