PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Sponsorship

Fair_play_boy
10/09/2005, 10:18 AM
The sponsorship deal with Nissan comes to an end at the end of this season. With City riding high in so many competitions, getting bags of media coverage, it is fair to assume that a bigger and better deal awaits.
What makes it more attractive to potential sponsors, IMO, is that RTE have suddenly discovered that EL and other domestic soccer games can draw huge audiences. I did not see the viewership figures for the four City games televised in August, but I heard that one of them made it into the top ten for whatever week it was on.
So, will Nissan be up for a better deal, one wonders?

patsh
10/09/2005, 10:29 AM
The sponsorship deal with Nissan comes to an end at the end of this season. With City riding high in so many competitions, getting bags of media coverage, it is fair to assume that a bigger and better deal awaits.
What makes it more attractive to potential sponsors, IMO, is that RTE have suddenly discovered that EL and other domestic soccer games can draw huge audiences. I did not see the viewership figures for the four City games televised in August, but I heard that one of them made it into the top ten for whatever week it was on.
So, will Nissan be up for a better deal, one wonders?
I believe they have already stated that they were not renewing.
A possible league win and good European run may do something to change their minds?

Xlex
10/09/2005, 10:31 AM
Of course you will be up for a better deal. I'd say you might get a 30% to 40% mark up on that deal, depending on clauses in the original contract. You are euro for euro better value for money this time around.

sullanefc
10/09/2005, 11:03 AM
I did not see the viewership figures for the four City games televised in August, but I heard that one of them made it into the top ten for whatever week it was on.

I just looked up the ratings on AERTEL and it has

6 UEFA Cup (FRI) 201,000

9 UEFA Cup (THU) 181,000

I'm assuming the UEFA Cup on the Friday is actually supposed to be the super cup and the one on the Thursday is CCFC V Djurgardens.

The rest of the top 10 is made of "Sunday game", "Saturday Game" and "Lost"

Colm
10/09/2005, 11:16 AM
Last I heard Nissan were definately not renewing.

Troy.McClure
10/09/2005, 1:53 PM
I dont want to open a can of worms, but I got the impression that Nissan were not happy campers when Dolan got fired and they weren't consulted (although personally I dont think that they should have been). If they are leaving coz Dolan isnt involved anymore then I think that is a big mistake on their part. Obviously I dont know the full story, but with the posibility of Champions League next year, Setanta Cup, increased tv coverage and our good form in Europe for the last 2 years I would say that our stock has imporved significantly.

Anyway, Im sure that there would be plenty of other would be sponsors queueing up. Howmany times have we been on telly this year? 12 so far is it? Thats an impressive return, much better than a GAA county could offer, except maybe for Cork.

thejollyrodger
10/09/2005, 2:42 PM
where can you see the ratings ? have you a link

Troy.McClure
10/09/2005, 3:20 PM
Its somewhere on aertel but I dont have a link. find it somewhere on rte.ie. Basically we pulled in 181,000 viewers and the brits pulled in 200,000ish

Fair_play_boy
10/09/2005, 3:44 PM
where can you see the ratings ? have you a linkhttp://www.rte.ie/aertel/p369.htm

Dodge
10/09/2005, 4:38 PM
I dont want to open a can of worms, but I got the impression that Nissan were not happy campers when Dolan got fired and they weren't consulted
If a sponsor is ever consuklted about these things its time to give up lads...

jorge
10/09/2005, 5:56 PM
It does'nt matter if they dont renew you'll get at least a 40-50% increase in sponsorship from a 'big' company maybe even an MNCO.

Is it true Dolan got a handy Jeep from Nissan in his time in-charge?

Fair_play_boy
10/09/2005, 8:31 PM
It does'nt matter if they dont renew you'll get at least a 40-50% increase in sponsorship from a 'big' company maybe even an MNCO.I wonder if there is anybody in the club management who has the capacity to negotiate this? It would be nice to think that we could get a higher profile sponsor than a local tool hire company, like Shels have, after all they achieved. At least Nissan are an all-Ireland company.

Colm
11/09/2005, 12:37 PM
Is it true Dolan got a handy Jeep from Nissan in his time in-charge?

Yeah and the number plate he got is class.... 05-C-1984. :cool:

Rico also has a brand new Nissan jeep now. I think they give the club something like 3 cars a year or something like that.

Éanna
11/09/2005, 11:03 PM
If a sponsor is ever consuklted about these things its time to give up lads...
sponsors aren't being consulted, but they obviously think they have a right to be :rolleyes: AFAIK, the situation is something like this- Dolan is buddies with the head honcho of Nissan Ireland, and when he got fired, Nissan threw a fit over it, with the result that they won't be renewing the deal. TBH, if thats their attitude, then **** them. They'll be losing out. WE should easily be able to match that deal or better it the way we're going.

kevincronin2000
11/09/2005, 11:23 PM
I dont know if people actually support the teams sponsors, but i bought 3 Nissans since they started to sponsor city. I bought an Almera a couple of years ago and this year a primeara to replace the almera and a micra for her self. I'd say my next car won't be a Nissan!

Éanna
11/09/2005, 11:30 PM
I do tryand support the teams sponsors whenever I can, didn't get around to buying a Nissan yet, but I will definitely NOT be buying one based on what I've heard about their behaviour over this issue.

kevincronin2000
11/09/2005, 11:31 PM
Do you drink Guinness?

Éanna
11/09/2005, 11:33 PM
Do you drink Guinness?
I'll do what I can to support our sponsors, but not to the extent of drinking a jackeen drink! :D Nah, I actually do, if I'm outside of Cork and can't get murphys

pete
12/09/2005, 10:42 AM
I have confidence that the club will get a new sponsorship deal as club getting a lot of exposure this season in particular. I wonder if Nissan has accessed the vlaue of the sponsorship to them as can really only be based on exposure as not going to sell many cars directly to City or eL fans.

I would like to see a sponsor that can bring exposure to the club by linking with promotions. Something that appeal to fans of all ages.

Dodge
12/09/2005, 11:22 AM
In fairness I reckon most clubs will have better sponsorship deals next season. The current ones most likely signed before the huge increase in TV coverage

Fair_play_boy
12/09/2005, 11:37 PM
AFAIK, the situation is something like this- Dolan is buddies with the head honcho of Nissan Ireland, and when he got fired, Nissan threw a fit over it, with the result that they won't be renewing the deal.Eanna, I know that is the way it was played out in public. But TBH, I suspect Dolan leant on his Nissan friend to blurt out something, just to annoy the club management. Nissan is run by hard nosed businessmen. Dolan is probably long forgotten. If they see a business reason to stay with City, you may be sure they will, if they can match the offer of other potential main sponsors.

Éanna
12/09/2005, 11:41 PM
You could well be right there actually, would make a lot of sense. I guess we'll see.