PDA

View Full Version : UCD 2-2 Drogheda

Colie
09/09/2005, 11:03 PM
Great game to watch. Their second was a cracker. Dicker, who I've talked up all year & who is now one step closer to being a full international, got man of the match. He's brill. Enjoyable game. Fair result. We should have expected a draw, only us & Drogs had 9 draws (I think) each prior to this game.

Staying up & 2 good cup runs. Excellent season.

Poor Student
09/09/2005, 11:26 PM
I knew when Dicker scored wherever you were you were dead pround. ;) Dissapointing in that we threw it away twice. Reasonably entertaining game. With so many players injured what can you even comment?

Colie
09/09/2005, 11:45 PM
With so many players injured what can you even comment?Good to see them there as ever. Scarily enough Kenna & Byrne were hanging out with all the kids in section o! :eek:

Student Mullet
10/09/2005, 1:04 AM
Dissapointing in that we threw it away twice.We threw it away once, we got a lucky goal once.

Still, it's nice to muck up Drogheda's ambitions, whatever they are.

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 9:17 AM
Stephen Alkin talked it up in his summary on RTE Radio 1. Said a terrific advertisement for the Eircom League and a great game of football. Still doesn't know the difference between Tony O'Donnell and Michael Mc Donnell though :)

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 9:18 AM
pineapple stu

Where's the match report?....tsk tsk you can't get good help these days....

Poor Student
10/09/2005, 11:01 AM
pineapple stu

He wasn't there. Seeming as Schumi was slightly late and behind 2 poles I'm not sure if anyone will write a review.

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 3:18 PM
In the absence of anything better here is a match report nicked wholesale from today's newspaper of choice.. El Stella :)

A superb 75th minute equaliser by Declan "Fabio" O'Brien was good enough to earn Drogheda United a point in last night's keenly contested Premier Division clash with UCD at Belfield. Drogheda dominated the early exchanges and Mark(Judas) Leech's header was well saved by College's Darren Quigley, and Leech again went close with a header soon after. But UCD grabbed the lead against the run of play when Gary Dicker's cross was met with a looping header over Dan Connor from Anto Murphy 12 yards from goal. Another fine Quigley save denied Keith Fahy from a free-kick, but Drogheda levelled on 39 minutes when the same player smashed home another free from 22 yards. UCD regained control in first half injury timeas Dicker headed home.
Drogheda again hit back when O'Brien dispossessed Brian Shorthall to score and leave both sides with their 10th draws of the campaign so far.
Ollscoil Coláiste Báile Atha Cliath- Ollscoil Náisiúnta na hÉireann:-
Dazza Quigley; Mahon, Mc Donnell ( Conan Byrne 36 mins), Shorthall, O'Donnell;
Gannon, Hurley, (Kieran Harte 71 mins), Dicker, Mc Walter; Dupuy(Willie Doyle 80 mins), Anto Murphy UNUSED SUBS; Neil Gallagher; Aaron McEneff

Attendance (The Star says) 650... ( I say) More like 850 the stand was fullish ( capacity 800) and there was a fair sprinkling of bods around the pitch leaning on the fence mode.

pineapple stu
10/09/2005, 8:18 PM
pineapple stu

I was at a wedding - did you not notice I wasn't there? ;)

Why did Tony Mac come off early? Hope he's not injured as well now... :( And how did the substitution work? Conan Byrne for Tony Mac? Only thing I can think of is Mahon to centre-back, Gannon to full-back, Anto Murphy to rihgt-wing and Byrne up front. Wouldn't like to have been explaining that when I was coming on!

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 9:04 PM
I was at a wedding - did you not notice I wasn't there? ;)

Why did Tony Mac come off early? Hope he's not injured as well now... :( And how did the substitution work? Conan Byrne for Tony Mac? Only thing I can think of is Mahon to centre-back, Gannon to full-back, Anto Murphy to rihgt-wing and Byrne up front. Wouldn't like to have been explaining that when I was coming on!

I was on the PA how would I know who was over on the " far side" ? :D

Tony Mac came off as a precaution. He felt his hamstring tighten a wee bit.
It was a wise move. He got a bit of treatment at half -time and was walking freely in the second half and should be ok for the upcoming games.
As you surmised the substitution worked as follows ; Alan Mahon went centre half, Conan Byrne went up front, Anto Murphy went right mid with Brian Gannon dropping back to full back.

pineapple stu
11/09/2005, 2:54 PM
Match report on the official Drogheda site (http://www.droghedaunited.ie/scripts/Result.asp?FixtureID=314) - this from a supposedly professional team?

Thread (http://www.irishfootie.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=633) on the Drogheda forum about the match as well.

CollegeTillIDie
12/09/2005, 7:08 AM
pineapple stu

That report looks like it was written by one of the players.....?????

nickeyoc
12/09/2005, 7:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any update on the injured list? Any idea when their expected back?

pineapple stu
12/09/2005, 12:41 PM
Paul Byrne scored for the U-21s on Saturday, so should be fit for both Cup games anyway. Conor Kenna was apparently due to be involved in the same game. Micko's back. Just leaves Robbie Martin and Allie Mac. No idea on those, but they weren't supposed to be out for too long...may have a full squad for the Cup quarter-final...

nickeyoc
12/09/2005, 2:09 PM
I thought Martin & McNally would be the two that people would be most concerned about getting back. After speaking with a few people, nobody seems bothered with them. Has there time passed or something????

Poor Student
12/09/2005, 4:06 PM
I thought Martin & McNally would be the two that people would be most concerned about getting back. After speaking with a few people, nobody seems bothered with them. Has there time passed or something????

McNally is extremely vital, however most important is one of McNally or Kenna to be back as it will realise our mighty captain, goal scorer and talisman Tony Mac back into midfield. Shorthall is adequate enough to fill half of centre back as long as one of the other two are fit. While Robbie Martin is our most effective striker we have good cover in that area. Anto Murphy is doing well and can win an amazing amount of headers and Dupuy puts in a good shift. It's great to have Byrne back as he offers a different type of player we don't have up front. A combination of mobility and height.

Colie
12/09/2005, 8:57 PM
Imagine we had a full squad for a season? We'd probably make the Champions League.

nickeyoc
13/09/2005, 8:45 AM
Make Champions League, more like win it!!!