PDA

View Full Version : Which El Jerseys...

Pages : [1] 2

jorge
09/09/2005, 10:50 PM
hve you seen the most around the streets?

superfrank
09/09/2005, 10:52 PM
Rovers ones. :mad: Especially around Bray.

The thing is you don't see people wearing them when there's not a match on.

Slash/ED
09/09/2005, 10:55 PM
Around in Fingal it's mainly Shels with a few Rovers, none from Pats and Bohs. The City centre varies

TheOwl
10/09/2005, 12:31 AM
I live in the Fingal area too, and I rarely see anything but Shels tops - (tracksuits and polos more so than jerseys though)

fbtn
10/09/2005, 1:58 AM
While lot of Harps tops about Ballybofey and Letterkenny ;)

Mayo Red
10/09/2005, 8:58 AM
Lot of Cork City jerseys at the Ireland game the last night!

Gerrit
10/09/2005, 9:26 AM
I mainly saw United, Arsenal, Celtic and Liverpool jerseys when I lived in Dublin :mad:
Here in Belfast there's the same problem, but replace Arsenal with Rangers...

I did see some Shels jerseys around in Dublin though, but most of all Rovers without any doubt. (City Centre that is, I guess in the area's of the stadiums it will be mostly the local club)
I never saw a UCD or Dublin City jersey in the city. UCD tracksuits often though, but that could be just as well from one of the university's other sport teams...

I remember when I was in Galway I noted some Galway Utd jerseys. They seem very well supported for a non-Premiership team, as several pubs in Galway city centre also had posters of the team on the wall.

Here in Belfast the only local club of which I often see a jersey or tracksuit is Linfield. The Glens fans seem not to wear their colours in the city centre, and fans of Crusaders are probably just ashamed to wear them :p

Both in the ROI as in NI, I also saw plenty of shirts of the national team.

Buller
10/09/2005, 9:28 AM
I saw 3 different people with pats jerseys in the square in tallaght one day! :eek: crazy...

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 9:33 AM
I mainly saw United, Arsenal, Celtic and Liverpool jerseys when I lived in Dublin :mad:
Here in Belfast there's the same problem, but replace Arsenal with Rangers...

I did see some Shels jerseys around in Dublin though, but most of all Rovers without any doubt. (City Centre that is, I guess in the area's of the stadiums it will be mostly the local club)
I never saw a UCD or Dublin City jersey in the city. UCD tracksuits often though, but that could be just as well from one of the university's other sport teams...

I remember when I was in Galway I noted some Galway Utd jerseys. They seem very well supported for a non-Premiership team, as several pubs in Galway city centre also had posters of the team on the wall.

Here in Belfast the only local club of which I often see a jersey or tracksuit is Linfield. The Glens fans seem not to wear their colours in the city centre, and fans of Crusaders are probably just ashamed to wear them :p

Both in the ROI as in NI, I also saw plenty of shirts of the national team.

UCD tracksuits are generally only issued to people who play sport on UCD teams for your information, I usually sell the gear available to the public in the shop at Belfield Park on mathdays.

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 9:34 AM
I wear a UCD jersey of some description to work on a matchday

Dr.Nightdub
10/09/2005, 9:41 AM
Any time I'm in Liffey Valley shopping centre, I'd normally see a couple of people in Pats jerseys, understandable really given the geography.

At the Electric Picnic last weekend, out of 25,000 people, there was one bloke wearing a Rovers jersey and one wearing a CHF jersey. Go figure...

Gerrit
10/09/2005, 10:05 AM
Dublin City sell jerseys? :eek: I thought they only had scarves, which are widely sold in the tourist souvenir shops...

I cannot recall Pats jerseys in Dublin centre, except on match days...

I've seen many Northern Ireland jerseys in the streets here the last days... I wonder why :D

PS: CollegeTillIDie, are you allowed to wear football jerseys at work? We have no dresscode here at work, but football jerseys are forbidden.

liam88
10/09/2005, 10:16 AM
We have no dresscode here at work, but football jerseys are forbidden.
No suprise there...

Conor H
10/09/2005, 10:59 AM
At the Connacht final it was unreal the amount of peple wearing Utd jersey's,there also always seems to be someone wearing one around town on the weekend.

harry crumb
10/09/2005, 11:15 AM
I was on holidays in Derrynane in Kerry 2 weeks ago and the hotel we were staying I saw 3 people wearing Cork City jerseys.

Its better that seeing Man U or Liverpool ones anyway.

Troy.McClure
10/09/2005, 1:28 PM
I see loads of Cork ones when Im in Cork, youd see much more City shirts in a day than all the eL ones youd see in Dublin in a day. In Dublin, I mainly see Bohz and Rovers and some Shels. Strange that I live near Inchicore but dont think Ive ever seen a Pats shirt (although have seen some shelsuits). At Oxygen, the most popular shirt was Derry Id say, followed by Harps!

Derek
10/09/2005, 1:40 PM
Dublin City sell jerseys? :eek: I thought they only had scarves, which are widely sold in the tourist souvenir shops...

For you imformation they sell the most in the EL!

Troy.McClure
10/09/2005, 2:24 PM
Ya but to tourests, not fans or natives.

Dodge
10/09/2005, 4:43 PM
And you got these figure from where? Or are you listening to Ronan Seery's bull****...

Conor H
10/09/2005, 5:33 PM
Doubt it!! :rolleyes:

TonyD
10/09/2005, 8:28 PM
[QUOTE=Troy.McClure]Strange that I live near Inchicore but dont think Ive ever seen a Pats shirt (although have seen some shelsuits). QUOTE]

Strange indeed Troy. I've seen plenty around the area, and the odd one or two in the City Centre.

RedX
10/09/2005, 8:50 PM
There are more people than ever wearing City jerseys in Cork these days..its great to see...

On other clubs jerseys..on being a person that loves holidaying around Ireland the only jerseys i ever see poping up are St Pats..

BobtheDrog
10/09/2005, 9:54 PM
in the past week not counting the ireland game have seen 1 cork jersey, 3 drogs jerseys, 1 rovers, 1 dublin city and 2 shels jerseys all in the city centre

Dave drummerboy
11/09/2005, 10:29 AM
Seen a drogs jersey in dundalk college the other day , its mostly dundalk i see , but did see a shells one before and a pats one and thats all .

The Dynamo
11/09/2005, 10:43 AM
There are loads of City jerseys flying around the city centre in Cork when im in there

Sliogán Dóite
11/09/2005, 12:56 PM
Doubt it!!

Carroll's Irish Gift Store...

Maynard
11/09/2005, 1:00 PM
It's a widely known fact that Dublin City sell more jerseys than any other EL club per year. It was a trivia question in the guide to last years EL. Although it is also widely known that 98% of those shirts go to tourists...They shift about 7,000 units a year through Carrolls. They sold over 8,000 the year we won the league.

Dodge
11/09/2005, 1:09 PM
It's a widely known fact that Dublin City sell more jerseys than any other EL club per year. It was a trivia question in the guide to last years EL. Although it is also widely known that 98% of those shirts go to tourists...They shift about 7,000 units a year through Carrolls. They sold over 8,000 the year we won the league.
I'd like to see thiose figures. I've NEVER EVER seen anyone wearing one. Even before they went onn sale Seery was telling everyone they were the top sellers. He equated most widely available to most sold...

Maynard
11/09/2005, 1:17 PM
These figures have NOTHING to do with Ronan Seery. He and the club recieve nothing for each shirt sold. The figures were ones published by Carrolls Irish Gift Stores (off there own bat), that is the main reason they sponsor us, not for the good of their health. The reason you may not have seen to many of these shirts that tourists buy is because (drum roll...) they're tourists who are only passing through, and the most of the time they are buying them for family and friends back home, not as a fashion garment to go about Temple Bar in.

Dodge
11/09/2005, 2:15 PM
Show me where they published those figures? Seriously...

Éanna
11/09/2005, 10:59 PM
hate to say it, but I reckon the Continuity Home Farm thing is true. I remember seeing quite a few foreign students in Limerick wearing them around the place.

Lots of City jersies all over Cork now, its amazing. They're outnumbering most other clubs at this stage

Derek
11/09/2005, 11:03 PM
It's great to see all the tourists buying our shirts, when we get into champions league proper we will be recogised by all in euroland:)

Lim till i die
12/09/2005, 8:10 AM
Lots of City jersies all over Cork now, its amazing. They're outnumbering most other clubs at this stage

Still seem to be outnumbered by those "Peoples Republic" T-Shirts anytime I've been down there :)

Quite a lot of Limerick jerseys to be seen walkin around the town. Whether this has anything to do with our club shop being robbed is open for debate :o

Wiseguy
12/09/2005, 8:31 AM
Seen a guy crossing the street in Perth wearing a Rovers jersey.As he passed by i said "C'mon the Town" but he was none to impressed,i actually thought he was going to stab me but thankfully he just kept walking and throwing back dirty looks.
I worked at the Connaught final and there were hundreads of Galway Utd jerseys.I just wondered to myself do they all make the trek to Terryland Park?

tiktok
12/09/2005, 9:23 AM
Work in West Dublin and regularly see more Pat's shirts than anyone else.

Pablo
12/09/2005, 9:27 AM
City jesreys are everywhere these days.

Every kid in my area must have one.

great to see. City means so much to the people in Cork. Cork City matters

Bluebeard
12/09/2005, 10:09 AM
On non-match days in Dublin, it's mostly Bohs, then Rovers, Dublin City/Shelbourne. Pats shirts I normally see only on match days, but given that I'm nowhere near Inchicore, that balances out. Have seen Drogs and Dundalk shirts too from time to time.

WeAreRovers
12/09/2005, 10:26 AM
They sold over 8,000 the year we won the league.

Not only is the 'widely known' fact that Dublin City sell the most jersies fanciful nonsense (I'm with Dodge - figures please) but AFAIK you've never won the league. Unless I fell asleep for a few years and missed something. And please don't tell me that winning the 1st Division is winning the league.

KOH

BohDiddley
12/09/2005, 10:32 AM
hate to say it, but I reckon the Continuity Home Farm thing is true.
I agree. How are the tourists to know that Dublin City FC is a makey-uppy? Sure wasn't that the whole idea in the first place? There are probably people wandering around all over the globe in these fakes, thinking they're wearing the genuine article.
Amazed DC don't get anything from the revenue though. If that's true, what's the point, some sort of plan for world domination via hearts and minds?

Roverstillidie
12/09/2005, 11:07 AM
how many of the chf shirt sales were to people who thought it was the dublin gaa shirt?

Red4Eva
12/09/2005, 1:07 PM
all good&well selling 8000 jerseys but how many of them ppl have actually ever been to a CHF game? in 3 years of college in galway i've never seen a gufc jersey apart from matchdays. see a good few rovers jerseys(mainly ppl i know tho)see da occasional harps jersey&even more rarely cork.

fosterdollar
12/09/2005, 1:17 PM
the club recieve nothing for each shirt sold. .
why not?

Maynard
12/09/2005, 2:49 PM
Carrolls pay a lump sum up front at the start of every year. Every penny they have made from the DCFC shirts, hats, scarves, tracksuits, childrens kits etc etc has been kept by them. Therefore it makes no direct financial difference to the club whether 8,000 or 80 shirts are sold.

Dublin City did exist before the Carrolls deal came about btw, and had Shelbourne answered a message left on their answering machine then it is more than likely that Dublin City would have had nothing to do with Carrolls. As a small, fledgling club, we were never going to turn their offer down when it came our way. It gives prospective fans a very easy access point to supporting the club. Helped me a few years ago anyway.

Oh and on the "winning the league" thing. Didn't realise people considered that the Premier was the only "league" that could be won. For me whether you're in a Junior Div 3 or EL 1st Division league, if you come first, you have won the league...just the way I see it. Didn't mean to rise above my position as a supporter of a "joke", "makey-uppey", "franchise" "mickey mouse" and generally sh*t football club. :o

Conor H
12/09/2005, 2:58 PM
all good&well selling 8000 jerseys but how many of them ppl have actually ever been to a CHF game? in 3 years of college in galway i've never seen a gufc jersey apart from matchdays. see a good few rovers jerseys(mainly ppl i know tho)see da occasional harps jersey&even more rarely cork.
What bull****!!.I always see GUFC jersey's around town,even on people who don't go to the matches.I have never ever seen someone wearing a Sligo jersey and im living here a lot longer than you.Also College Till I Die had previously mentioned that he saw quite a few when he was in Galway for a while and yet you saw none in 3 years. :rolleyes: Doubt it!

Patrick Dunne
12/09/2005, 3:13 PM
.. seems to be particular popular because of its deisgn and appears to be worn by people as a fashion statement rather than a statement of support for the team.

According to the Star, because of a supply problem with hurling jersies, GUFC gear sold out last week. There is certainly none available in city centre shops at the moment.

Students in Galway often wear their teams jersey, so Longford, Harps tops can be seen out and about. Sligo Rovers supporters generally don't wear colours, for reasons of personal safety :D

Drumcondra Red
12/09/2005, 3:22 PM
how many of the chf shirt sales were to people who thought it was the dublin gaa shirt?

Very few I'd say...

CHF (http://www.buy4now.ie/retailersimages/carrolls/cropped/pC7019.jpg)

Dublin GAA (http://www.irelandjersies.com/ireland-gaa/photos/dublin-jersey.jpg)

Drumcondra Red
12/09/2005, 3:24 PM
.. seems to be particular popular because of its deisgn and appears to be worn by people as a fashion statement rather than a statement of support for the team.

Yeah, nice jersey, same as ours!!! :D

fbtn
12/09/2005, 8:50 PM

I went to college in Sligo and often wore a Harps jersey, coat or whatever to college and when I was out and about the town. Got a few looks but the majority of Sligo fans were cool.

I actually seen more Longford jerseys in Sligo than Sligo jerseys believe it or not.

Also few Longford jerseys about Letterkenny IT as well.

Most jerseys I'd see about concerts like Oxegen, Electric Picnic etc are Derry, Rovers and Bohs. Always make a point of saying hello.

anto eile
13/09/2005, 12:35 PM
apparently its trua about home farm dublins jerseys outselling the rest of the EL teams, but selling 2 jerseys for E40 to american tourists its hardly surprising

bigmac
13/09/2005, 3:26 PM
Didn't mean to rise above my position as a supporter of a "joke", "makey-uppey", "franchise" "mickey mouse" and generally sh*t football club. :o

Don't worry about it, just don't let it happen again :p