PDA

View Full Version : NFL/NCAA American Football discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

shedite
09/09/2005, 4:07 PM
I went to the opening night of the NFL season last night. What a festival. Started about 8 with live link-ups to Rolling Stones concert in Detroit, then Maroon 5 and Kanye West in LA. Green Day then played live in the stadium, followed by Santana, Michelle Branch, Ozzy Osbourne and then the national anthem by Trish Yearwood. They unveiled a huge banner then announcing the superbowl win, and then there were more fireworks than I've ever seen in my life. Oh and then there was the actual game.

Patriots won 30-20, but the defence looked dodge. Gave up a lot of big plays and weren't great against the run. Patriots running back wasn't great but still got 2 TD's. Don't really expect Pats to do it again. Reckon Indianapolis will get it right this year.

Savage night. Made it worth the $330 I paid for ticket, jersey, transport and programme!!!

Kerry Blue
09/09/2005, 6:24 PM
Didn't see the game but from the match report the Pats defense doesn't look as good this year. Bruschi will be a big loss I reckon. I agree that the Colts will win the Superbowl this year. They look very strong and if they get home field advantage in the play-offs, no one will beat them. I'll stick my neck out by making the following predictions:
Divisional Winners:
AFC EAST: New England Patriots
AFC NORTH: Baltimore Ravens
AFC SOUTH: Indianapolis Colts
AFC WEST: Kansas City Chiefs
NFC EAST: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC NORTH: Minnesota Vikings
NFC SOUTH: Atlanta Falcons
NFC WEST: Arizona Cardinals

Indianapolis to beat Minnesota in the Superbowl.

shedite
09/09/2005, 6:40 PM
NFC WEST: Arizona Cardinals

Interesting call

I'm going for Colts to beat Atlanta in th Superbowl

TheOwl
10/09/2005, 1:26 AM
Oakland have a very powerful offense this year though, and 20 points is hardly a capitulation. I except the Patriots to go very deep again this year, I’ll have to have a look at the Colts defense in action before I’m sold them.

Also looking for a surprisingly strong season from Notre Dame now that Charlie Weiss is in charge. I watched the game against Pittsburgh - VERY IMPRESSIVE. Brady Quinn was looking like a young Tom Brady. A Top 10 finish from the Irish would be great although USC are a lock for the National Championship.

Ruairi
10/09/2005, 1:30 PM
Patriots won 30-20, but the defence looked dodge. Gave up a lot of big plays and weren't great against the run. Patriots running back wasn't great but still got 2 TD's. Don't really expect Pats to do it again. Reckon Indianapolis will get it right this year.

christ sparky it sounds like you're speaking a different language! come home soon son!

tried to stay awake for the opening game the other night but fell asleep, as you do..

lloking forward to the double header tomorrow, Denver Broncos @ Miami Dolphins and Arizona Cardinals @ NY Giants.. although i have to admit i'll be flciking between that and the spansish footie...

time to dusty off my copy of Madden 2002 methinks

Karlos
12/09/2005, 11:10 AM
Watched the Dolphins Vs Broncos last night. Was an interesting, low-scoring game right up until the 4th when Miami broke away. Both teams looked quite dodgy on offence with turnovers nearly every few plays. Wasn't the most exciting game ever but certainly got the interest going again. :)

As a childhood Bronco's fan however I was disappointed watching them, made worse by the fact that my brother is a childhood Dolphins fan who took time out to remind me about it last night!! :eek:

TheOwl
12/09/2005, 11:41 AM
Denver were horrible, just horrible.

They need a new coach badly and they have done for a few years. Shanahan has done nothing since Elway left.

swinfordfc
12/09/2005, 11:51 AM
How did the redskins do on the opening week?

TheOwl
12/09/2005, 12:37 PM
They beat the Bears 9-7 - it's going to be a LONG seasons for both teams I suspect!

ali2005
12/09/2005, 9:30 PM
Atlanta Falcons are the best team in the NFL.

Dodge
12/09/2005, 9:45 PM
No, they're not. Vick might be great to watch but it'll be years before he wins a superbowl

Kerry Blue
13/09/2005, 6:32 PM
It'll be years before any NFC team will win the Superbowl. The AFC has too many strong teams at the moment.

Ruairi
19/09/2005, 3:06 PM
watched falcons at seahawks yesterday evening, enjoyable enough game, althouugh i have to admit i was flciking over between that and Bedazzled on BBC 1 to see liz hurley in pretty revealing get ups..

joeSoap
19/09/2005, 4:13 PM
Can anyone tell me how the Jets are doing??

strangeirish
19/09/2005, 4:17 PM

Won one, lost one. They beat Miami on Sunday.

Kerry Blue
23/09/2005, 12:44 PM
Are you a Jets fan Joe?
Nice to know there's another one out there.

TheOwl
23/09/2005, 6:10 PM

They haven't had a single hit since Benny left them!

strangeirish
23/09/2005, 9:54 PM
They haven't had a single hit since Benny left them!

Har Har :D

Countyman
26/09/2005, 12:43 PM
I'm rooting for the san diego chargers meself.

Big fan of the running game and rushers dont come much better than the chargers Tomlinson.

Good game last night between the raiders and eagles.

I thought the "real" fridge in the studio on sky for the 2nd game had a higher IQ than the first one :)

Real ale Madrid
26/09/2005, 12:45 PM
I went to the opening night of the NFL season last night. What a festival. Started about 8 with live link-ups to Rolling Stones concert in Detroit, then Maroon 5 and Kanye West in LA. Green Day then played live in the stadium, followed by Santana, Michelle Branch, Ozzy Osbourne and then the national anthem by Trish Yearwood. They unveiled a huge banner then announcing the superbowl win, and then there were more fireworks than I've ever seen in my life. Oh and then there was the actual game.

Savage night. Made it worth the $330 I paid for ticket, jersey, transport and programme!!!

You lucky barstad - Pats won again last night - great win on the road at Pittsburgh. Looking good again - they play Atlanta in 2 weeks time - should be a cracker - preview of the Superbowl i reckon.

Dodge
26/09/2005, 1:11 PM
well the Colts have added a tough defence to Payton and all those receivers so without having seen them I'm going for them...

joeSoap
26/09/2005, 2:29 PM
Here's (http://www.nfl.com/scores) a full breakdown of week 3.

Danny
26/09/2005, 2:46 PM
Feckin gobsh!te 49ers.... ahead for all but 2 mins of the game and 12 pts ahead going into the 4th and still manage to lose.
Tis gonna be another long season...

2 good games on sky last nigth and the "analysis" by the fridge was a good laff..

Clifford
26/09/2005, 3:14 PM
Falcons all the way for me, Vick for President!! Last nights games were excellent, the Pats still showing the fight and class of the last three seasons even if a bit short on squad. Brady 12 for 12 in the sec half - top notch.

Big one is the meeting of the two in 2 weeks time, as someone mentioned above.

joeSoap
03/10/2005, 3:00 PM
Watched the Jets v The Ravens last night, and I gotta say that in 20 years of watching NFL between live games, highlights programmes etc, this had to be the worst ever game I've watched. 2 of the quarters ended 3-0, one 7-3, and another actually scoreless. This was not down to superb defense from these sides, it was down to terrible terrible offense from both sides.

Quite woeful, and certainly wasn't a good advert for the game.

Real ale Madrid
03/10/2005, 5:42 PM
Falcons all the way for me, Vick for President!! Last nights games were excellent, the Pats still showing the fight and class of the last three seasons even if a bit short on squad. Brady 12 for 12 in the sec half - top notch.

Big one is the meeting of the two in 2 weeks time, as someone mentioned above.

Not now - after giving up 40 odd points last night!!!:(

Speaking of Michael Vick - his brother Marcus is leading Virginia Tech in the College scene and he looks every bit as good as his brother. they are 5-0 and ranked no.4. Very exciting player who can pass and rush.

Ruairi
04/10/2005, 11:05 AM
mexico city hosted arizona/sanfran over the weekend, with 103,467 people watching...

christ what a crowd...

they're on about london hosting a game next year, that's be worth a weekend me thinks

Clifford
04/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Not now - after giving up 40 odd points last night!!!:(

Speaking of Michael Vick - his brother Marcus is leading Virginia Tech in the College scene and he looks every bit as good as his brother. they are 5-0 and ranked no.4. Very exciting player who can pass and rush.

Roll on sunday, although I still say Brady is the best out there at the moment, but this might signify a changing of the guard.

I saw the Vick Junior last week, love the college stuff on NASN, crowds way bigger than the NFL itself. Last year I got to LSU game and a New Orleans game, both were amazing, but the buzz at the college game was mind blowing. The crowds regularly top the 100,000.

Dodge
04/10/2005, 1:03 PM
they're on about london hosting a game next year, that's be worth a weekend me thinks
Dunno. Think its only Sky Sports that are on about it.

joeSoap
04/10/2005, 2:54 PM
Dunno. Think its only Sky Sports that are on about it.The NFL actually had representatives in London last week (including William 'The Refrigerator' Perry to talk to both Sky Sports and Wembley stadium, so it looks like being a go-er.

Dodge
04/10/2005, 3:38 PM
Yeah, read an artucle on nfl site today talking about it. London and toronto are the next 2 they're looking at. NFL commisioner wants 2 a season but reckons he'll have trouble getting owners to give up 1 home game every 8 seasons. He think she can get them to agree to one every 16...

joeSoap
05/10/2005, 10:14 AM
Surely a good promoter can get one of these to Croker?? The Jets always had a strong Irish tradition, and would be a huge draw.

Kerry Blue
05/10/2005, 6:42 PM
Surely a good promoter can get one of these to Croker?? The Jets always had a strong Irish tradition, and would be a huge draw.
What???!!!!:eek:
A foreign sport being played at GAA HQ?
Surely not!:p :D
I think it would be great to see an NFL match being played in Ireland, however I don't think there would be any kind of a decent crowd. I remember when the 'Emerald Isle Classic' (think that was what it was called) used to be played at Lansdowne Rd between college teams. Started off well but then faded when the novelty wore off. I think that the NFL will concentrate on European cities that have teams in the NFL Europe league like London, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Barcelona etc before trying out virgin territory, but we can always live in hope. Jets fans are used to this anyway!;)

Dodge
05/10/2005, 8:15 PM
Only NFL europe teams in Germany and Amsterdam now. London team folded long ago. Think the difference is not many here really get ow huge college sports are in the US. A proper fully fledged NFL game would be a massive draw IMO and because it'd only be once every 8 years or so the chances are it would be a success with the novelty fans too

Kerry Blue
10/10/2005, 7:20 PM
After Week 5 the Indianapolis Colts are the only side to still have a 100% record thanks to a comprehensive thrashing of the 49ers by 28-3. The Patriots won the game of the day as Adam Vinatieri was the hero again with the game winning field goal with just 20 secs left in the game as they survived a great comback by the Falcons. So far this season only the Bengals and the Broncos seem to be up there with the Colts in the AFC, while Tampa Bay have the best record in the NFC though they lost their 100% record this week going down 12-14 to the Jets.:D

G-Man
11/10/2005, 6:51 AM
With regards to Vicks brother, does anyone know the full story on him. Last I heard (which is nearly a year ago) he was being kicked out of college for various things. He was up for some charges too regarding some underage girls. Altho if he is still at Virginia Tech maybe they've forgiven him.

Not getting to see any games (miss NASN!) but Colts seem to be doing well. Pats had a good win with a battered secondary and steelers just beat the chargers. How long will the bengals run go? Bad loss for the Eagles too, but dallas seemed to have played well.

Clifford
11/10/2005, 9:38 AM
After Week 5 the Indianapolis Colts are the only side to still have a 100% record thanks to a comprehensive thrashing of the 49ers by 28-3. The Patriots won the game of the day as Adam Vinatieri was the hero again with the game winning field goal with just 20 secs left in the game as they survived a great comback by the Falcons. So far this season only the Bengals and the Broncos seem to be up there with the Colts in the AFC, while Tampa Bay have the best record in the NFC though they lost their 100% record this week going down 12-14 to the Jets.:D

Falcons without Vick were very unlucky, hats off to Brady and co, but you do wonder what would have been if Michael Vick was in there. Schaub did well, but it obviously took a quarter or two to settle in.

joeSoap
11/10/2005, 2:40 PM
week 5 scores and stats here. (http://www.nfl.com/scores)

strangeirish
17/10/2005, 4:07 PM
Week 6 (http://www.nfl.com/scores/2005/week6)
Gowan Jacksonville!!!!!!!!!

joeSoap
18/10/2005, 10:03 AM
Watched the Jets and the Bills on Sunday night. Bills beat them, but the amount of possession that Vinny Testaverde threw away was criminal. I know the Jets are stuck for cover, but the mans 42 years old ffs!!!:eek: :eek:

Clifford
18/10/2005, 10:22 AM
Vinny was bad for most of it, but near the end, jaysus you could see he was blowing out his hole. Surely they had some sort of rookie to come in and throw a TD, not that it would have mattered, but a fumble and interception can be very costly so late.

Falcons huffed their way past an unlucky Saints and Colts rallied last night to a big win after being behind early on. Some cracking game this weekend goin to OT and tight finishes.

Lots of tight divisions, Pats losing again is very very interesting.

Dodge
18/10/2005, 10:59 AM
an unlucky Saints.... Pats losing again
All sports are the ****ing same....

Think its the Colts to lose tbh. I know their play off record is terrible and NE should have most of their defensive injuries back by then but, for the sake of Manning alone, I hope they do it

Kerry Blue
19/10/2005, 5:59 PM
All sports are the ****ing same....

Think its the Colts to lose tbh. I know their play off record is terrible and NE should have most of their defensive injuries back by then but, for the sake of Manning alone, I hope they do it
The Colts definitely look to be the team this year. Every game won and facing the winless Texans this weekend should see them 7-0. The problem in the past with the Colts I think was the lack of home field advantage in the play-offs. This doen't look like it will be a problem this year as there are only 2 other AFC teams keeping pace at the moment. (Denver and Cincinnati (both 5-1)). Should be a cracking game this Sunday between the Bengals and the Steelers. It could be do or die for the latter in this divisional clash.

joeSoap
24/10/2005, 11:23 AM
Colts win again...week 7 results (http://www.nfl.com/scores)

Kerry Blue
25/10/2005, 7:15 PM
Colts win again...week 7 results (http://www.nfl.com/scores)
And the Jets lose again!:(

strangeirish
25/10/2005, 8:11 PM
Jets are in trouble this year. No quaterback and some rough games coming up. No playoff's for the green and white this year.

Soko
26/10/2005, 3:15 AM
With regards to Vicks brother, does anyone know the full story on him. Last I heard (which is nearly a year ago) he was being kicked out of college for various things. He was up for some charges too regarding some underage girls. Altho if he is still at Virginia Tech maybe they've forgiven him.

Liquored up some young wans and rode one of them, got caught with weed in his car and is one lucky SOB to be so talented. He did have to sit out last year though.

He's playing well but he's got a nasty D behind him and they've not really played anyone of note. BC is his Thurday and that'll be a test as their lines are the biggest in CFB bar Georgias OL. And then comes a very hungry Miami squad so if he if gets through them he'll be legit.

lim abroad
31/10/2005, 4:09 AM
what about the 49ers today,good 15-10 win against a tampa bay buccs team that was 5-1 coming into the game

Soko
01/11/2005, 9:30 AM
what about the 49ers today,good 15-10 win against a tampa bay buccs team that was 5-1 coming into the game

That just shows what frauds the Bucs really are. Chris Simms is a born loser and he'll bring that team nowhere fast.

Real ale Madrid
01/11/2005, 6:30 PM
Liquored up some young wans and rode one of them, got caught with weed in his car and is one lucky SOB to be so talented. He did have to sit out last year though.

He's playing well but he's got a nasty D behind him and they've not really played anyone of note. BC is his Thurday and that'll be a test as their lines are the biggest in CFB bar Georgias OL. And then comes a very hungry Miami squad so if he if gets through them he'll be legit.

Well he has come through the first part of that test anyway - saw the game thursday night (how sad am I?) and he really controlled the game and hammered BC - whom i thought were going to make a BCS game this year. 30-10 it finished and only for some excellent red zone defense by the eagles early on to keep them in it it would have been much worse.