PDA

View Full Version : NFL/NCAA American Football discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Clifford
02/02/2006, 5:09 PM
I was tempted to go this way but I think somebody is going to crack on offence.

I know what you mean, but I just think it might be one of those days. It would be very unusual, but both are good on lack of fumbles and the two qb's are in fine fettle.

Kerry Blue
03/02/2006, 7:09 PM
I'm in like Flynn, Monday booked off work, plenty of Bud and chips at the ready eh?

Snap! (except for the work thing, but who cares.:) )

My predictions are:

Passing yards: Matt Hasselbeck
Rushing yards: Shaun Alexander
Team Rushing yards: Seattle Seahawks
First TD: Joe Jurevicius
Offence with most turnovers: Pittsburgh Steelers
Winner: Seattle Seahawks 24 to 20

twoenz
04/02/2006, 8:48 PM
I've a feeling that Seattle are going to sneak it. All the talk's been about the Bus, and while it is set up for a fairytale I can't see it happening.

shedite
05/02/2006, 12:18 PM
Passing yards: Rothlisberger
Rushing yards: Shaun Alexander
Team Rushing yards: Seattle Seahawks
First TD: Hynes Ward
Offence with most turnovers: Pittsburgh Steelers
Winner: Seattle 30-24[/QUOTE]

Ruairi
05/02/2006, 5:34 PM
Passing yards: Rothlisberger
Rushing yards: Bettis
Team Rushing yards: Steelers
First TD: The Bus
Offence with most turnovers: Seahawks
Winner: Steelers 20-17

Soko
05/02/2006, 9:32 PM
Its got to be a Pittsburgh win. This place will be packed with Steelers fans and crowd noise becomes a factor for only Seattle. 2 good rookie LBs but Seattle are a little greener than Pitt. If I was a Seattle fan I'd be very worried that they hadn't faced a dominating 3-4 defense like Pitt all year and this was the primary reason Indianpolis fell apart against Pitt and San Diego. If the Steelers go up by more than a TD then say good night and god bless.

Passing yards: Hasselbeck
Rushing yards: Parker
Team Rushing yards: Steelers
First TD: Bettis
Offence with most turnovers: Seahawks
Winner: Steelers 31-17

lim abroad
05/02/2006, 10:01 PM
i predict pittsburg 31-28 seahawks

Clifford
05/02/2006, 11:48 PM
Well I obviously backed the seahawks not knowing about the farcical/cheating umpires. What a joke that first 25 mins has been. Every call horribly in favour of the team with the most fans there. Corrupt? Brazillian soccer ain't this bad.

Kerry Blue
06/02/2006, 12:07 AM
Well I obviously backed the seahawks not knowing about the farcical/cheating umpires. What a joke that first 25 mins has been. Every call horribly in favour of the team with the most fans there. Corrupt? Brazillian soccer ain't this bad.
Completely agree with you! If I was a Seahawks fans I would be very p1ssed off right now. There were 2 very bad calls by the officials. The first was disallowing Daryl Jackson's TD for pass interference. If you watch it again you will see that the official only throws the flag after the Steelers defender complains!:rolleyes: And obviously the second was Roethlisberger's TD. There is no way the ball broke the plane of the goal line. If it did then I must go to Specsavers in the morning!:eek:
Now I really want the Seahawks to win.
C'mon Hasselbeck and Alexander!

Kerry Blue
06/02/2006, 2:11 AM
It just wasn't to be for the Seahawks was it? :( Everything went the way of the Steelers. Some achievement for them by winning all games on the road and equalling the most Superbowl victories.

Dodge
06/02/2006, 2:26 AM
Seahawks unlucky but it all boiled down to that 3rd and 26 Big Ben play to Hines Ward...

Dodge
06/02/2006, 2:30 AM
BTW the stats were
Passing; Hasselback 273 v Roethlisberger 123
Rushing; Alexander 95 v Parker 93
Seahawks 137 v Steelers 181
Offence with most turnovers: Seattle 1 v Pittsburgh 2

Soko
06/02/2006, 2:49 AM
It was PI, he pushed him off and gained an advantage. You cant have any contact like that after 5 yards. And it did break the plain. The officiating wasn't half as bad as recent games and was not a factor in Seattle losing.

Aberdonian Stu
06/02/2006, 3:46 AM
Seattle's rush game was a massive let down for me. Shocked to see only me and Soko backed the Steelers in the end (although it's comfortably my worst week on the predictions front, I'll add you all up in the afternoon).

Go Steelers!

Aberdonian Stu
06/02/2006, 3:48 AM
Seattle's rush game was a massive let down. Shocked to see only me and Soko backed the Steelers in the end (although it's comfortably my worst week on the predictions front, I'll add you all up in the afternoon).

I paraphrased Vince Vaughn in Anchorman on the Irish American football forum and I'll do it here too "Today redemption is spelt C-O-W-H-E-R"

Go Steelers!

Clifford
06/02/2006, 9:12 AM
Completely agree with you! If I was a Seahawks fans I would be very p1ssed off right now. There were 2 very bad calls by the officials. The first was disallowing Daryl Jackson's TD for pass interference. If you watch it again you will see that the official only throws the flag after the Steelers defender complains!:rolleyes: And obviously the second was Roethlisberger's TD. There is no way the ball broke the plane of the goal line. If it did then I must go to Specsavers in the morning!:eek:
Now I really want the Seahawks to win.
C'mon Hasselbeck and Alexander!

There was also the terrible spot of the football short of the actual mark on a 3rd and 2, there was a face mask on a Seahawk by the WR in one of the Steelers 3 big plays and numerous others. Overall as I flicked from sky to utv the analysists all agreed that the Seahawks were shafted to a certain extent. It's academic now, but as Cadle said "Half time coming up and everybody will be happy if the ref's stay in the dressing room, except the Steelers."

Come on the Falcons in 2006/7. And hat's off to big Ben and co.

Aberdonian Stu
06/02/2006, 11:45 AM
Even though I'm heaviy biased I see your point but still feel that Seattle just didn't have the teeth on the ground when they needed them.

max power
06/02/2006, 1:01 PM
only wathed the first half and i have to say that the steelers were very slow out of the blocks. was it the second quarter before they completed a 3rd down ?????

seahawks really looked the business, but the TD before half time seemed to knock the stuffing out of them.

happy to see the steelers win, they knocked out my team the Colts and glad to see the bus with a ring at last, did he retire ????

max power
06/02/2006, 1:05 PM
he did retire see http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9210932 and ii like a fool thought they were waiting to come out to the beat of the music:o

Dodge
06/02/2006, 1:06 PM
only wathed the first half and i have to say that the steelers were very slow out of the blocks. was it the second quarter before they completed a 3rd down ?????Yeah and then got 6 or 7 in a row including the 3rd and 26...

glad to see the bus with a ring at last, did he retire ????
Yep, fair play to him.

max power
06/02/2006, 1:11 PM
Yeah and then got 6 or 7 in a row including the 3rd and 26...

Yep, fair play to him.

that 3rd and 26 was a great play, he just waited and waited and waited until he was ready to release, honestly thought he was gonna be sacked.

Aberdonian Stu
07/02/2006, 9:14 PM
Better late than never...

Sorry about the delay here are the final results.

Correct results:
Passing yards: Hasselbeck over Roethlisberger
Rushing yards: Alexander over Parker (by just 2 yards)
Team rushing: Pittsburgh over Seattle
First TD: Big Ben
Offence with most turnovers: Pittsburgh
Winner Pittsburgh

This is how everyone fared:

4 right
Strangerish

3 right
Aberdonian Stu
Dodge
Kerry Blue
Soko

2 right
Clifford
Ruairi
Shedite

Well done Strangerish!

Kerry Blue
14/02/2006, 6:10 PM
The curtain came down on another NFL season on Sunday with the Pro Bowl in Honolulu. In a defense dominated game the NFC came out on top 23-17, tying the series overall 18-18. The AFC led 7-0 after the first quarter thanks to a Chris Chambers (Miami) 16yd TD rec. The sides were level 10-10 at half-time. Neil Rackers (Arizona) kicked a 32yd FG and Aloe Crumpler (Atlanta) scored a 16yd TD rec for the NFC, while a 32yd FG by Cincinnati's Shayne Graham was the AFC's only score. Derek Brooks (Tampa Bay) got the third quarter's only score; a 59yd interception return. Early in the fourth the AFC tied the game at 17-17 with Trent Green (Kansas City) rushing in from 1yd. Neil Rackers turned out to be the winner for the NFC though, by adding two more FGs (22yd & 20yd) to leave the final score 23-17.

Aberdonian Stu
14/02/2006, 6:24 PM
By all accounts the game sucked. Anyway fear not for though the curtain may have come down on the NFL season it is about to rise for the new season of the Irish American Football League.

First few games of note are

March 12: Belfast Bulls @ UL Vikings (League champions begin campaign on the road)
March 19: DCU Saints @ UL Vikings(First ever game for the Saints)
March 26: Dublin Rebels @ Belfast Bulls (3-in-a-row and reigning Shamrock Bowl champions Rebels take on last year's losing finalists the Bulls).
April 9: North Dublin Marshals @ DCU Saints (First ever game for Marshals, first ever derby for both sides).

Further information available at www.iafl.info

strangeirish
14/02/2006, 6:38 PM
How great is that? I didn't know the league existed. Very cool indeed. Thanks for the link Aberdonian Stu.

Aberdonian Stu
14/02/2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah I got involved this year with the Saints.

Clifford
16/02/2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah I got involved this year with the Saints.

Superb, I'll be taking in as many Limerick and Cork based games, never knew it existed to be honest. Is it easy to get involved? What about players are they all Americans that have played or just lads taking it up?

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2006, 11:44 AM
Well we've got two Americans in a panel of roughly forty, and one of those has lived here nearly half his life.

Most teams are predominantly Irish to the best of my knowledge although Limerick tend to have more Americans than most due to the high number of Americans in UL.

Clifford
16/02/2006, 2:04 PM
Well we've got two Americans in a panel of roughly forty, and one of those has lived here nearly half his life.

Most teams are predominantly Irish to the best of my knowledge although Limerick tend to have more Americans than most due to the high number of Americans in UL.

What position do you play? Had you played before?

Aberdonian Stu
16/02/2006, 3:18 PM
I'm in the O Line. Hadn't played it before, which is the norm with us. I hadn't played anything competitively (with the exception of Fanzine challenges:D ) since I did the 2000 Dublin marathon so it was a good way to get back into the groove of training. It's hard but great fun.

Clifford
16/02/2006, 3:34 PM
I'm in the O Line. Hadn't played it before, which is the norm with us. I hadn't played anything competitively (with the exception of Fanzine challenges:D ) since I did the 2000 Dublin marathon so it was a good way to get back into the groove of training. It's hard but great fun.

Fantastic, might see you when your in Limerick on Paddies weekend if I can get there.

strangeirish
17/02/2006, 4:58 PM
Anyone remember William "The Refrigerator" Perry. I'm going to name drop here. Was at a trade show last night and met him. Real nice man and had a nice conversation with him. The man is huge and very jovial. I asked him about his TD in the superbowl and the Walter Peyton controversy. He said he still feels bad about Peyton not getting the chance to score in the superbowl, but the decision was not his. Got a couple of signed pictures from him if anyone wants one of them, pm me.

Aberdonian Stu
29/04/2006, 10:08 AM
Houston has given everyone a surprise by selecting Mario Williams as the first pick in the 2006 NFL draft.

Story here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/news/story?id=2426003)

Every media outlet (and anyone I know) seemed convinced it would be Bush.

Dodge
29/04/2006, 10:22 AM
Jesus! That basically throws evrything up in the air. All mock drafts are useless now. saints probably trade down. Should be fun

Aberdonian Stu
29/04/2006, 4:37 PM
With pick No. 2 New Orleans took Reggie Bush.

Pick 3 saw Vince Young go to Tennessee

I'll post updates as I get them.

Aberdonian Stu
29/04/2006, 4:50 PM
Pick 4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson to the Jets

It's live online (radio) here (http://espnradio.espn.go.com/espnradio/radio?play=live)

Leinart will now drop out of the top 5, the next team needing a QB are the Raiders at 7 but they don't like him so his next might actually be Arizona at 10.

It could get worse for him as Jay Cutler could well go there, especially if the Raiders don't go for a QB.

EDIT: AJ Hawk (linebacker) is the 5th pick and will go to the Green Bay Packers.

Dodge
29/04/2006, 5:03 PM
ESPN's coverage is great. Have theri Draftcast open with the readio on (with snooker on tv in background :D )

Jets told everyone they wouldn't be taking Leinart and nobody believed them. Interesting stuff so far. Buffalo might take Leinart if he falls that far in a surprise move

Aberdonian Stu
29/04/2006, 5:29 PM
No. 6 - Vernon Davis (TE) to 49ers
7 - Michael Huff (DB) to Raiders
8 - Donte Whitner (SS) to Buffalo
9 - Ernie Sims (LB) to Lions

Huff is technically a SS but he might be played elsewhere.

EDIT: 10. Matt Leinart (QB) to Cardinals

Soko
30/04/2006, 3:29 PM
Huff can play any DB position with his speed.

I cannot believe Houston passed on Reggie. I'm watching Gary Kubiak right now try and explain the decision and its embarrassing.

Atlanta gets the steal with Jimmy Williams at #37 and the speedster Norwood in the 3rd. That defense is now SB ready.

Aberdonian Stu
30/04/2006, 5:43 PM
The first round in full.

1 Houston Williams, Mario DE 6-7 294 North Carolina State
2 New Orleans Bush, Reggie RB 5-11 200 Southern California
3 Tennessee Young, Vince QB 6-5 228 Texas
4 N.Y. Jets Ferguson, D'Brickashaw OT 6-6 313 Virginia
5 Green Bay Hawk, A.J. OLB 6-1 247 Ohio State
6 San Francisco Davis, Vernon TE 6-3 256 Maryland
7 Oakland Huff, Michael SS 6-0 203 Texas
8 Buffalo Whitner, Donte SS 5-10 203 Ohio State
9 Detroit Sims, Ernie OLB 5-11 232 Florida State
10 Arizona Leinart, Matt QB 6-5 224 Southern California
11 Denver (from St. Louis) Cutler, Jay QB 6-3 225 Vanderbilt
12 Baltimore (from Cleveland) Ngata, Haloti DT 6-4 337 Oregon
13 Cleveland (from Baltimore) Wimbley, Kamerion DE 6-3 241 Florida State
14 Philadelphia Bunkley, Brodrick DT 6-3 307 Florida State
15 St. Louis (from Atlanta through Denver) Hill, Tye CB 5-9 186 Clemson
16 Miami Allen, Jason CB 6-1 208 Tennessee
17 Minnesota Greenway, Chad OLB 6-3 243 Iowa
18 Dallas Carpenter, Bobby OLB 6-3 255 Ohio State
19 San Diego Cromartie, Antonio CB 6-2 207 Florida State
20 Kansas City Hali, Tamba DE 6-3 275 Penn State
21 New England Maroney, Laurence RB 6-0 216 Minnesota
22 San Francisco (from Washington through Denver) Lawson, Manny OLB 6-5 240 North Carolina State
23 Tampa Bay Joseph, Davin G 6-3 312 Oklahoma
24 Cincinnati Joseph, Johnathan CB 5-11 192 South Carolina
25 Pittsburgh (from N.Y. Giants) Holmes, Santonio WR 5-11 187 Ohio State
26 Buffalo (from Chicago) McCargo, John DT 6-2 301 North Carolina State
27 Carolina Williams, DeAngelo RB 5-9 213 Memphis
28 Jacksonville Lewis, Marcedes TE 6-6 262 UCLA
29 N.Y. Jets (from Denver) Mangold, Nick C 6-4 299 Ohio State
30 Indianapolis Addai, Joseph RB 5-11 215 Louisiana State
31 Seattle Jennings, Kelly CB 5-11 179 Miami (Fla.)
32 N.Y. Giants (from Pittsburgh) Kiwanuka, Mathias DE 6-6 265 Boston College

Very happy with Steelers choice although for some reason I originally thought they had picked Sinorice Moss (which would have also been very pleasing!).

The Jets had a great day, Ferguson, Mangold and (not in the first round)Kellen Clemens.