PDA

View Full Version : NFL/NCAA American Football discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Soko
01/11/2005, 6:17 PM
BC were never going to make a BCS game this year as they are now in the ACC not the Big East meaning they've got Miami, VT, Clemson etc... on a regular basis. They'll finish 8-3 which is not too bad but they missed the boat against FSU. They could have easily beaten them and as they are a national power they've would have jumped hugely despite FSU being horribly overrated.

Vick played the best game I've seen him play in his career so far last week but Miami will be a totally different prospect. BC are big and strong but Miami and quick and athletic, something which Vick wont be able to handle as well but should not faze him.

joeSoap
02/11/2005, 12:20 PM
He's playing well but he's got a nasty D behind him and they've not really played anyone of note. BC is his Thurday and that'll be a test as their lines are the biggest in CFB bar Georgias OL. And then comes a very hungry Miami squad so if he if gets through them he'll be legit.
In english please....and explain 'D', 'BC', 'CFB' and 'OL'.....

Thanks...

strangeirish
02/11/2005, 1:07 PM
In english please....and explain 'D', 'BC', 'CFB' and 'OL'.....

Thanks...
D= Defense
BC= Boston College
CFB=College Football
OL=Offensive Line
:)

sligoman
02/11/2005, 1:10 PM
Atlanta Falcons are the best team in the NFL.:rolleyes:

Real ale Madrid
03/11/2005, 9:07 AM
BC were never going to make a BCS game this year as they are now in the ACC not the Big East meaning they've got Miami, VT, Clemson etc... on a regular basis. They'll finish 8-3 which is not too bad but they missed the boat against FSU. They could have easily beaten them and as they are a national power they've would have jumped hugely despite FSU being horribly overrated.

Vick played the best game I've seen him play in his career so far last week but Miami will be a totally different prospect. BC are big and strong but Miami and quick and athletic, something which Vick wont be able to handle as well but should not faze him.

Just because they are in the ACC gives them a better chance of making a BCS game this year cos they are in a better division and have a better all round schedule. Remember they were just one game away form a BCS berth last year playing in the Big East and have a much better team this year than last. However i am a bit biased cos i'm a bit of a fan and have been to see them play a few times. Have not seen Miami except for the highligts - they will be tougher than BC but i still think VT are a great side and Vick could take them to championship game which is unlikely i know but possible if either of the top two lose.

Soko
03/11/2005, 12:02 PM
Just because they are in the ACC gives them a better chance of making a BCS game this year cos they are in a better division and have a better all round schedule. Remember they were just one game away form a BCS berth last year playing in the Big East and have a much better team this year than last. However i am a bit biased cos i'm a bit of a fan and have been to see them play a few times. Have not seen Miami except for the highligts - they will be tougher than BC but i still think VT are a great side and Vick could take them to championship game which is unlikely i know but possible if either of the top two lose.

Better schedule means you lose more games. If they stayed in the Big East they'd be BCS like a poor WVU team due to obligations to give a conference champ a bowl bid.

Miami aren't actually there this year so they'll probably finish 9-2 which isn't too bad but looking at it again they've not cheduled any good out of conference teams and lost to the real tests they've faced. Even if they beat FSU they wouldn't have made BCS as VT and Miami are better and one would be ACC champ.

Real ale Madrid
04/11/2005, 11:35 AM
There is no obligation set in stone to give the Big east a Bowl game afaik - this came up as well last year, usually they get one but with that conference becoming so weak they could lose it. BC blew it by losing to Miami alright if they won that and finished losing only to VT that surely would have given them a chance given that they are a big name school with a much tougher schedule than any previous year.

On a side note i also hear the ND are bropping BC from the schedule starting 2011.

Soko
05/11/2005, 2:11 AM
Not with the year its been. VT play Miami on Saturday and if VT win they go unbeaten and play FSU in the ACC game. If Miami win then they could play FSU. Now if BC had beaten FSU you would swap these teams and they'd actually be playing for the title but would obviously have no chance, like FSU, of beating the 2 mentioned teams and would have to settle for probably the Gator bowl.

The BCS will be filled with USC, Texas, VT(presuming they beat Miami), Georgia/Alabama, PSU, Ohio State, WVU and Notre Dame if they beat UT tomorrow. There really is no conceivable spot for BC unless they somehow won the ACC. VT and Miami are loading up big time and will be very, very good next year so I cant see BC winning the ACC for a long time with those recruiters to deal with. Its cold in Boston and they can't fill the stadium unless its VT, Miami, FSU, Notre Dame or some other big nonconference team like Ohio Stae or Michigan. Players don't like that and its hard for BC to recruit.

And ND will not be playing BC from 2011 on citing damage caused to the field and locker rooms after the last BC win there a couple of years back. The real reasons are - replace them with Rutgers for guaranteed wins as the schedule is national championship calibre anyway, the games will be played in the Meadowlands about 30 minutes from Rutgers and they keep half the gate, keep the Big East happy as ND play all other sports in the Big East and have agreed to play 4 BE teams a year.

Real ale Madrid
05/11/2005, 9:33 AM
Jaysus fair plaed to you for coming up with that at 3 in the morning. Very good though - I'm only basing my opinion on that i see on tv and that - its just hard for someone like me to understand that if Boston had a 10-1 record (that if they beat FSU) why would someone like the buckees would get a BCS game instead of them of even ND given that they both have lost 2 games as well. i suppose even if BC got into the ACC championship game they in all likelihood would have lost that too so its a mute point in a year wher you will prob have at least 3 unbeaten teams (hope VT win today) and a few teams that have lost just once.

Soko
05/11/2005, 4:34 PM
Ohio State or BC, thats not really even a question when it comes to money and thats what the BCS is all about. They'll try match them up with another big name draw like Georgia or Alabama and milk the cash. Thats exactly why Notre Dame will be called in as well as they are the biggest draw in college football.

Plus this all gets based on the BCS polls. By the end of the season ND and Ohio State will be ranked in the top ten making them BCS eligible. BC will not and therefore will be ineligle for the running.

Kerry Blue
08/11/2005, 8:27 PM
Going back to the NFL, after Indianapolis beat the Pats on Monday night does anyone else think that it might be possible for the Colts to emulate Miami's perfect season of 1972? Looking at their remaining fixtures (see below) it would seem that the toughest tests they have left will be at the Cincinnati Bengals (Week 11) and at the Seattle Seahawks (Week 16). With 5 of the 8 games being played at the RCA Dome I think they just might do it. Or has the NFL become too open that Miami's great season is destined never to be repeated?

Colts remaining games:
13.11.05 Houston Texans (H)
20.11.05 Cincinnati Bengals (A)
28.11.05 Pittsburgh Steelers (H)
04.12.05 Tennessee Titans (H)
11.12.05 Jacksonville Jaguars (A)
18.12.05 San Diego Chargers (H)
24.12.05 Seattle Seahawks (A)
01.01.06 Arizona Cardinals (H)

strangeirish
08/11/2005, 8:42 PM
Going back to the NFL, after Indianapolis beat the Pats on Monday night does anyone else think that it might be possible for the Colts to emulate Miami's perfect season of 1972? Looking at their remaining fixtures (see below) it would seem that the toughest tests they have left will be at the Cincinnati Bengals (Week 11) and at the Seattle Seahawks (Week 16). With 5 of the 8 games being played at the RCA Dome I think they just might do it. Or has the NFL become too open that Miami's great season is destined never to be repeated?

Colts remaining games:
13.11.05 Houston Texans (H)
20.11.05 Cincinnati Bengals (A)
28.11.05 Pittsburgh Steelers (H)
04.12.05 Tennessee Titans (H)
11.12.05 Jacksonville Jaguars (A)
18.12.05 San Diego Chargers (H)
24.12.05 Seattle Seahawks (A)
01.01.06 Arizona Cardinals (H)

I don't think they can do it.The two tough games I think are going to be Jacksonville away(I'll be at that one) and the Steeler's at home. They did some job on the Pat's, albeit an injury riddled team that they beat.

Dodge
08/11/2005, 10:02 PM
Hope they do it. Absolutely love the no huddle offence. BAcked them at the start of it too :)

Aberdonian Stu
09/11/2005, 9:45 PM
I hope they stay on course for two more weeks and then fall against the Steelers. If they lose to the Bengals I know they'll take it out on Pittsburgh:eek:

Soko
09/11/2005, 10:26 PM
Bar the Patriots, who are now 4-4 and a shadow of their former selves, the Colts haven't played anybody of note so I wouldn't get too worked up about their start.

They'll beat the Texans to go 9-0 and then they go to their first real test in Cincinatti where I think they'll lose to go 9-1.
Beat the Steelers and the Titans for 11-1.
They barely beat Jacksonville at home and these 2 usually split the series so 11-2.
They should beat the Chargers but then again San Diego could be playing for survival at this time, I'll chalk it down as a win for 12-2.
Loss to the Seahawks for 11-3 with a victory against the Cardinals for 13-3 and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

The Falcons will get home field advantage in the NFC as long as they split the series with Carolina. They're schedule is simple bar the Buccaneers and Panthers in-division games and a trip to Chicago. Carolina has never beaten Michael Vick in 8 attempts so the Falcons win the NFC and play the Colts where its anybodies guess from there on.

Just my predictions for the future.

Countyman
10/11/2005, 10:04 AM
dont rule out the chargers doing a job on the colts.
2 wins on the bounce now and with divisional rivals the chiefs and broncos to come after the colts game it could be the one game to set the chargers up for the playoffs.

With Ladainian Tomlinson anything is possible.

The colts versus the bolts ...bring it on!

Clifford
14/11/2005, 2:40 PM
Shocker for the Falcons, damn that Farve.

WEEK 10 Sunday Nov. 13
Arizona 21-29 Detroit
Baltimore 3-30 Jacksonville
Houston 17-31 Indianapolis
Kansas City 3-14 Buffalo
Minnesota 24-21 N.Y. Giants
New England 23-16 Miami
San Francisco 9-17 Chicago
Washington 35-36 Tampa Bay
Denver 31-17 Oakland
N.Y. Jets 3-30 Carolina
Green Bay 33-25 Atlanta
St. Louis 16-31 Seattle
Cleveland 21-34 Pittsburgh

Dodge
14/11/2005, 3:04 PM
Seattle looked very good on Sky last night. Tonight's game is huge between Eagles and Cowboys. Hope Eagles bounce back but they need a huge game from McNabb

Clifford
14/11/2005, 4:12 PM
Seattle looked very good on Sky last night. Tonight's game is huge between Eagles and Cowboys. Hope Eagles bounce back but they need a huge game from McNabb

Without TO? Can't see it, but this will really sort out McNabb into a good or great catagory.

Does anyone yet know how to get Channel 5 here?

strangeirish
14/11/2005, 4:29 PM
Anyone see the Redskins/Bucs game? What a thriller. Records set all over the NFL this week. 108 yard return for a TD from a field goal attempt in the Bears game:eek: Vikings return a punt, kickoff and int for a TD. Thats never been done before, all at the expense of the hapless special teams for the Giants. Jags score thirty for the first time in four or five years:)

Clifford
15/11/2005, 8:22 AM
Naughty Donovan!!

Roy Williams returned an interception for a touchdown in the final three minutes as Dallas rallied to win 21-20 in Philadelphia whose play-off hopes are now hanging by a thread.
Safety Williams picked off a Donovan McNabb pass and scampered 46 yards to the end zone to lift the Cowboys to 6-3 and the top of the NFC East while the Eagles slump to 4-5 after their third straight defeat.

Only 21 seconds earlier, visiting quarterback Drew Bledsoe hit Terry Glenn from 20 yards to bring Dallas to within six points.

Philly started brightly and Brian Westbrook capped off a 11-play 72 yard opening drive with a 15-yard touchdown run.

But Dallas levelled later in the first quarter when Bledsoe's 58-yard pass to Peerless Price set up Marion Barber's one-yard TD plunge.

However the Eagles went into the half with a 14-7 advantage after Lito Sheppard picked off a Bledsoe pass allowing Donovan McNabb to go into the pay dirt on a bootleg run from two yards.

Two David Akers field goals stretched Philadelphia's lead to 20-7 but the visitors suddenly sprung to life to curtail the Eagles' NFL leading streak of 36 consecutive wins when leading by ten points.

Philadelphia had the ball twice in the final 2:37 but a limping McNabb threw two incompletions and then had the ball stripped forcing the Eagles to punt.

Back-up play-caller Mike McMahon was at the helm when Philly had the ball once again on their own 35 with 46 seconds left and although he moved his team down the field, Akers was forced to attempt an ambitious 60 yard field goal as time expired which fell well short.

Soko
15/11/2005, 10:47 AM
Shocker for the Falcons, damn that Farve.

Favre did well but the Falcons lost that game themselves. 6 fumbles losing 3 especially that one near the end by Roddy White killed them. Plus Brooking was non existent at MLB and Gado just ran stright through the middle with ease. They'll still beat Tampa next week though and get back on track.

Bears/49ers game was very strange. I've never seen the wind affect the ball so much and I'm amazed they even managed 6 FG, the Bears offense is still painful to watch and they'll be picking far lower than they should be.

Kerry Blue
19/11/2005, 6:22 AM
Does anyone yet know how to get Channel 5 here?
I've managed to tune my Sky digibox in to channel 5 but I get a message on the screen saying the programme is not available. Don't know if you can get it through other multi-channel suppliers. In case you're interested the settings are:

Frequency: 12.304
Polarisation: H
Symbol Rate: 27.5
FEC: 2/3

Kerry Blue
19/11/2005, 6:25 AM
Big game on the box this week: Indianapolis (9-0) against Cincinnati (7-2). Will be interesting to see how good the Bengals really are and if the Colts can keep their 100% record.

Ruairi
28/11/2005, 12:46 PM
Cracking game last night, giants at seahawks..

21-21 with a 1.30 on the clock, seahawks drive comes to nowhere and have to punt, eli manning gets giants into field goal range while running down the clock..

last play of the game, 40-odd yard field goal and... feely hooks it, goes to OT..

giants miss a further two field goal attempts to win the game, seahawks get into postion and win it with a 30 od yard FG.. 24-21

have to say it was the best atmosphere i've ever seen at an NFL game, absolutely electric.. and it was a cracking game too...

Dodge
28/11/2005, 12:56 PM
Commentators were calling it "playoff" style. Had that atmosphere alright

Real ale Madrid
28/11/2005, 12:57 PM
Cracking game last night, giants at seahawks..

21-21 with a 1.30 on the clock, seahawks drive comes to nowhere and have to punt, eli manning gets giants into field goal range while running down the clock..

last play of the game, 40-odd yard field goal and... feely hooks it, goes to OT..

giants miss a further two field goal attempts to win the game, seahawks get into postion and win it with a 30 od yard FG.. 24-21

have to say it was the best atmosphere i've ever seen at an NFL game, absolutely electric.. and it was a cracking game too...

Did you see Jeremy Shockey the Giant Tight end gloat in front of the camera as feely kicked the field goal in the 4th quarter - the look on his face when it just missed was absolutely priceless. Arrogance never has any place in sports so even if the Giants probably should have won - i was happy enough to see the seahawks win it in the end. Totally agree with your point about the atmosphere - but then again it really was a great game.

Ruairi
28/11/2005, 1:05 PM
Did you see Jeremy Shockey the Giant Tight end gloat in front of the camera as feely kicked the field goal in the 4th quarter - the look on his face when it just missed was absolutely priceless.

yeah that was hilarious.. and i cant remember if it was the giants second or thrid missed field goal when the players on the line ran onto the pitch celebrating as the ball was in the air.. and then fell short...

Soko
28/11/2005, 9:59 PM
http://www.imagedonkey.com/out.php/i432_shockeyshocked.gif

Clifford
29/11/2005, 1:34 PM
What a game that was for the Seahawks, they were being battered though so win only papers over big cracks. Not using Alexander enough was one of the probs, they eventually succumbed and he led the drive for the final field goal.

Superb Manning deserved better, he's some player for a kid, coolness in the extreme. They could have got the poor kicker in closer into the wind though.

Manning eile at it again last night, those who predicted defeats in the last two games have egg on the face. I'm not sure if they will go all the way unbeaten, but it will be some performance to beat them indoors at this rate (Chargers might give it a lash). A windy wet Seattle on Christmas eve should be some atmosphere - hope Sky have it.

strangeirish
29/11/2005, 2:48 PM
Soko, that's fcuking classic:D :D What a dumbass.

C'mon the Jags!!!!

SaucyJack
29/11/2005, 7:06 PM
don't know if this has been posted, some magic at the Saints game

http://currentsjewelers.com/saints/video/miracle.wmv

strangeirish
29/11/2005, 7:28 PM
don't know if this has been posted, some magic at the Saints game

http://currentsjewelers.com/saints/video/miracle.wmv

I was at that game, when the Saints came to Jacksonville. We could not believe what we were seeing!! And to cap it all off, the Saints kicker missed the extra point to tie the game!!! I'm sure he hid in a corner of the dressing room afterwards. Unreal.

I think it was from last year or the year before.

Dodge
30/11/2005, 8:38 AM
BTW fair play to joe (admin here) who's riding high in the Sky Sports fantasy league....

Clifford
07/12/2005, 11:14 AM
Shocking weekend for the Vick's. I watched both games live this weekend and they were both blown away by the opposition. It's hotting up nicely now in the chase for the NFL play off's. Good display by the Seahawks on Mon night also.

This weekend Colts v Jags should be wicked.

strangeirish
07/12/2005, 1:13 PM
Shocking weekend for the Vick's. I watched both games live this weekend and they were both blown away by the opposition. It's hotting up nicely now in the chase for the NFL play off's. Good display by the Seahawks on Mon night also.

This weekend Colts v Jags should be wicked.

Huge game here in town for the Jags against the Colts. Jags are without starting quaterback Byron Leftwich. Back up David Garrard to start. He is a lot more mobile than Leftwich, which may pose a few problems for the Colts. Jags defense is top notch, but I don't think it will be enough to overcome Manning, James and Harrison. If the Jags can keep it close going into the 4th quater, they might get lucky. Here's hoping!

joeSoap
07/12/2005, 1:20 PM
Play off picture as it stands (http://www.nfl.com/standings)

Soko
07/12/2005, 4:25 PM
Marcus Vick is an awful QB. He's got to stcik around for his senior year and he'll be lucky to get drafted on day 1 if teams don't panic and look for a clone of his brother. I can think of at least 5 QB's coming out next year I'd rate ahead of him so he better improve fast or he'll be converted back to WR.

Dodge
07/12/2005, 6:06 PM
Reading that Leinart's going to the Jets in all probablility with Reggie Bush going to Houston

Aberdonian Stu
07/12/2005, 7:01 PM
Reggie Bush will be a Houston Texan next season...so long as Houston don't do something stupid like start winning games before the season ends. Remember they only have a slender 'advantage' over some of their opponents in the race to sign Reggie.

Soko I have never seen Marcus Vick play but all I've heard about him are great things prior to what you wrote. Anyone I talk to who has seen him says he's the better brother by far.

Soko
07/12/2005, 10:37 PM
Reggie Bush will be a Houston Texan next season...so long as Houston don't do something stupid like start winning games before the season ends. Remember they only have a slender 'advantage' over some of their opponents in the race to sign Reggie.

Soko I have never seen Marcus Vick play but all I've heard about him are great things prior to what you wrote. Anyone I talk to who has seen him says he's the better brother by far.

Marcus is not a patch on Michael. Remember that when Michael was n college he was a freak of nature ala Reggie Bush and carried that VT programme on his back to the Orange Bowl and nearly a national title against Miami in 2001. He only started 2 years there as a redshirt but he still has buildings named after him and is possibly the best player VT have ever turned out of college.

Marcus has looked good against inferior opponents with time and space yet looked horrific against Miami and FSU. He looks like he has better touch but this is college and he cant handle a candle to some of the better Junior QB's out there in the passing department. He's quick but not a patch on Michaels speed and agility plus his arm is not as strong. Translation - he's a poor man Michael Vick.

Soko
07/12/2005, 10:42 PM
Houston have a huge decision to make if they've got the #1 pick. Reggie Bush is a superstar in the making but durabilty could be a slight concern, he shares carries with LenDale White. Having said that he's a highly prized asset and could command many additional picks which Houston needs to become competitive.

Put simply Bush is electric but that OL is truly awful. They need upgrades right throughout it and this is a good year at tackle. I'd do my best to package additional picks for a tackle and later round gurad and take on of the other potential franchise backs later in the draft. DeAngelo Williams will have a n amazing career and I'd take him plus Marcus McNeill to help the Texans.

Aberdonian Stu
12/12/2005, 10:31 AM
The race for Reggie looks set to be settled on the last day of the season in a loser takes all game between San Fran and Houston. They're both so bad it's hard to tell who will have the edge.

Soko
12/12/2005, 2:44 PM
Houston missed the equivalent of a tap in to draw the game against Tenessee. You might find that suspicious bar the fact thats its highly unlikely that they'll even want to draft Reggie Bush seeing as they have their RB tie up untill 2009 and that hinders their moves.

San Fran would take him I believe but could also trade out as they see Frank Gore being capable of doing a job and they have so many other holes. I think he could become a NY Jet.

Clifford
13/12/2005, 2:20 PM
When do the Bowls start?

Manning did the job in a tough one again Sun night, I suppose people are still sceptical about the lad?

Enjoyed the Giants v the Eagles, some tough plays and a cracking finish to it.

Vick back on the bike last night, that division is hotting up now.

lim abroad
13/12/2005, 2:24 PM
i don't think that the 49ers can afford another first pick,if the do come last it looks like they'll trade it

lim abroad
13/12/2005, 2:25 PM
bush won the heismann trophy yesterday too

strangeirish
13/12/2005, 2:28 PM
When do the Bowls start?

See here (http://sports.yahoo.com/s/ncaafbowls05;_ylt=Ar9MO9guvYsXT59Af7q6pSMcvrYF)

Aberdonian Stu
13/12/2005, 6:24 PM
He won the trophy by a comically large margin. This year's Rose Bowl will be the first with a Heissmann winning QB starting alongside a Heissmann winning running back.

Clifford
14/12/2005, 10:38 AM
See here (http://sports.yahoo.com/s/ncaafbowls05;_ylt=Ar9MO9guvYsXT59Af7q6pSMcvrYF)

Thanks for that, I assume the Rose bowl is most important seeing as it is the last one. The NASN schedule isn't out yet, but I assume like last year I'll have a feast of it over Chrimbo. Can't wait.