PDA

View Full Version : Derry City 20 Years in the League of Ireland

Pages : [1] 2

lofty9
09/09/2005, 10:47 AM
On 8th September 1985 Derry City played their first game in the League of Ireland. Thanks to all that have accepted us and welcomed us over the years. Cheers.

patsh
09/09/2005, 11:20 AM
On 8th September 1985 Derry City played their first game in the League of Ireland. Thanks to all that have accepted us and welcomed us over the years. Cheers.
Congrats Derry.
They are one of the best clubs on this island, and the eL is a lot better because of them.

sullanefc
09/09/2005, 11:25 AM
Congrats Derry. Glad to have ye.

Colm
09/09/2005, 11:44 AM
Congrats Derry.

Far and away the best club in the EL after Cork City! :)

Roo69
09/09/2005, 11:46 AM
Congrats Derry.
They are one of the best clubs on this island, and the eL is a lot better because of them.

Could'nt agree with ya more. Great club with great fans.

And on the subject, were 21 years in the league this year

Macy
09/09/2005, 11:57 AM
21 years for us too. Not done bad for a small, ambitionless club....

Éanna
09/09/2005, 11:58 AM
Congrats Derry.
spot on. Always had a lot of time for Derry

patsh
09/09/2005, 11:59 AM
You said it.....:p

Maybe not the club, but certainly the manager....

pete
09/09/2005, 11:59 AM

When you realise you have a problem thats the first step to solving it ;)

Well done Derry. I vaguely remember the monster crowds used to travel with ye in the late 80's

Cosmo
09/09/2005, 12:09 PM

Well done Longford :)

Passive
09/09/2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks to all that have accepted us and welcomed us over the years. Cheers.

We're in the right league, we're in the right league,
You're not, you're not

;)

Ronnie
09/09/2005, 1:02 PM
Derry in 20 years, Cork and Longford 21. Whoe else is 20 this week - Monaghan, Bray, Cobh, Kilkenny?

lofty9
09/09/2005, 1:05 PM
We're in the right league, we're in the right league,
You're not, you're not

;)

Passive,

We're in the right ground, we're in the right ground
You're not, you're not ;)

EnDai
09/09/2005, 1:09 PM
Glad to have ya. :)

Roo69
09/09/2005, 1:11 PM
Derry in 20 years, Cork and Longford 21. Whoe else is 20 this week - Monaghan, Bray, Cobh, Kilkenny?

As i said in an earlier post - And on the subject, were 21 years in the league this year

Krstic
09/09/2005, 1:16 PM
Cannot believe it's been 20 years, Holy fcuk we've been here longer than we were exiled from that other crappy League.

And what a season to be having on our 20th birthday.

Thanks for the memories folks :D

sparkey
09/09/2005, 1:26 PM
What ever came of the big "ATTACK" banner that ye used to have?

lofty9
09/09/2005, 1:32 PM
What ever came of the big "ATTACK" banner that ye used to have?

Remember it well, dunno what happened to it. It went with the chant of ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!

I'm remembering travelling with 5,000 drunk men leaving us kids to fend for ourselves and making sure we got our da's home safe.

Those were the days!

Anto McC
09/09/2005, 3:38 PM
So i take it Dery are sticking around then,I thought it was just temporary

dancinpants
09/09/2005, 4:43 PM

What? Like Shel's aspirations of three in a row?

Speranza
09/09/2005, 5:28 PM
Or their aspirations in Europe, aspirations of having any sort of fanbase, aspirations of being a proper club with a geographical base, a law abiding secretary, a non-scumbag manager. Cannot wait until you have to sell off your failed players because you have finished 4th in the league.

We have brought more to the EL than $hels ever offered!

Anto McC
09/09/2005, 10:12 PM
Or their aspirations in Europe, aspirations of having any sort of fanbase, aspirations of being a proper club with a geographical base, a law abiding secretary, a non-scumbag manager. Cannot wait until you have to sell off your failed players because you have finished 4th in the league.

We have brought more to the EL than $hels ever offered!

With exception to the fact we are in our own league :D

Slash/ED
09/09/2005, 11:00 PM
christ it's like shooting fish in a barrel sometimes...

harpskid
10/09/2005, 11:56 AM
Well done Derry

Cosmo
10/09/2005, 12:13 PM

Same here ;)

1 9 2 8
10/09/2005, 5:55 PM
Sligo Rovers F.C. will be 77 years old on the 17th of September

BTW Well done Derry City

superfrank
10/09/2005, 11:23 PM
Funny question but who did Derry play that day??

Comic Book Guy
11/09/2005, 7:39 AM
Funny question but who did Derry play that day??

Checked the records, they beat Home Farm 3-1 in a League Cup Group game.

Roverstillidie
11/09/2005, 2:39 PM
fair play derry, my favourite away trip.
lets hope the next trip is a successfull one for the hoops, no birthday trebles for the nordies!

dcfcsteve
12/09/2005, 9:19 AM

Possibly the weakest wind-up attempt on this site in some time. Yawn....

Foot.ie School Report : Must try harder.

Pablo
12/09/2005, 9:25 AM

Well done Derry. Great club, and great fans

dortie
12/09/2005, 10:00 AM
Always remember the aul women in Dalymount wheeling prams when i was a young Derry fan...."get ya Mars bars, 3 for a pound !!!" :D

What happened that tradition, now its guys dressed in red boiler suits trying to sell you watered down soup....no thanks, no alcohol in that mate :D

dcfcsteve
12/09/2005, 10:21 AM

The other 20 year olds are : Bray, Cobh, Monaghan and Kilkenny (formerly EMFA).

Derry are by-far the most successful of the 'new clubs ' : 2 Premierships, 3 FAI Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 First Division title and one Shield.

Bray Wanderers are arguably the next most successful : 2 FAI Cups & 3 1st Div titles.

Longford are 3rd most successful : 2 FAI Cups & 1 League Cup.

Kilkenny have one 1st Division title.

Monaghan and Cobh have won feck all.

Roo69 - Bray only joined the League in 1985, so you're only 20 years in this year - not 21.

Longford and Cork are in 21 years this season.

Anto McC
12/09/2005, 12:48 PM

Wind up ;) yeah thats what that is

gspain
12/09/2005, 12:58 PM
Derry were a breath of fresh air to the league - I saw 3 of their away games in 85/6 and their support were fantastic. A train and a fleet of buses in Cork for the cup tie. Fantastic atmosphere.

Always very welcome in the Brandywell too. Best of luck for the next 20 except v Limerick of course.

Dodge
12/09/2005, 1:06 PM
There wouldn't be a first division now if it wasn't for the influx of Derry fans in that first year

Cosmo
12/09/2005, 1:10 PM
Derry were a breath of fresh air to the league - I saw 3 of their away games in 85/6 and their support were fantastic. A train and a fleet of buses in Cork for the cup tie. Fantastic atmosphere.

Always very welcome in the Brandywell too. Best of luck for the next 20 except v Limerick of course.

Yeah they were great in the past but in recent seasons (and especially this one where theyre challenging for the league) the support has gone down alot and its nothing special (apart from being really loud with that flaming drum)

dcfcsteve
12/09/2005, 1:24 PM
Yeah they were great in the past but in recent seasons (and especially this one where theyre challenging for the league) the support has gone down alot and its nothing special (apart from being really loud with that flaming drum)

Never miss an opportunity to exercise that chip of yours, do you Cosmo......? :p

Cosmo
12/09/2005, 1:53 PM
Never miss an opportunity to exercise that chip of yours, do you Cosmo......? :p

From the start of this thread I actually stalled on making that point but it is true - theyre away crowds have been very average this season and recent seasons ( especially comparing it to years ago, they are very poor considering youre challenging for the league).

Btw for the record that is not meant to be a pop at derry, just stating a fact (like jaysus droghedas away crowds are always brutal outside dublin and bogford because most of our supporters admittedly couldnt be a**ed :) )

dcfcsteve
12/09/2005, 2:25 PM
From the start of this thread I actually stalled on making that point but it is true - theyre away crowds have been very average this season and recent seasons ( especially comparing it to years ago, they are very poor considering youre challenging for the league).

Btw for the record that is not meant to be a pop at derry, just stating a fact (like jaysus droghedas away crowds are always brutal outside dublin and bogford because most of our supporters admittedly couldnt be a**ed :) )

Or home crowds have been 2nd best in the league this season -despite the fact that our location means we have nigh-on zero away fans to boost our numbers. Our away crowds haven't been bad either - even though, again, we have the longest journeys to make in Irish football. Meanwhile, our fans are feted by other supporters as amongst the best, most noisy and most colourful in the country. Yeah - we're a sh!t lot us Derry fans..... :rolleyes:

But yes - our crowds are obvioously down form the days of 10-12,000 sell-outs in the late 80's. Are gonna tell us that grass is green next....? ;) In hindsight the drop in our numbers was always likely to happen.

Regardless - everyone on here talks about the 'potential' size of clubs ~: how great their crowds could be etc etc. Only one club in recent memory has actually delivered against that 'potential', which leads me to believe that over-time we could therefore get some of the way back to those days.

Cosmo
12/09/2005, 2:40 PM
'Yeah - we're a sh!t lot us Derry fans.....'

Never said you were a sh!t lot, just stating that alot of things are over exaggerated probably because people remember the good old days when you had sh!t loads going around the country every week (and also because you make alot of noise with your drum making it sound like theres more there :rolleyes: !)

Again, not having a pop before any derry fan gets his knickers in a twist and starts anther thread on your site saying that cosmo hates derry, just stating a fact (and again not having a pop, how many times do i have to say that? :o , but I thought you'd have alot more in united park the other week considering your league position and your 'great' reputation)

lofty9
12/09/2005, 2:48 PM
Cosmo,

I thought there was about 200 of us in Drogheda last week. Not bad considering the lenghth of the journey, and the fact that most of us have to take a half day to get to the game in time.

Cosmo
12/09/2005, 3:06 PM
Cosmo,

I thought there was about 200 of us in Drogheda last week. Not bad considering the lenghth of the journey, and the fact that most of us have to take a half day to get to the game in time.

Lofty 9, I would guess around 150-200 of ye in united park alright. But again, maybe its because of your 'great' reputation and how you were going for the league title I thought you'd have more considering drogheda isnt that far compared to other journeys ye have to make. Like 1 derry fan said to one of the lads before he met us in the pub beforehand that there'll be an enormous following of ye '5 full buses plus loads in cars' he said. We were expecting alot more of ye tbh.

Also didnt someone say on here before that there were only 14 of ye in waterford this season? (understandable really, considering the trip ye have to make, and having to do trips like that every second week, and lets be honest the RSC isnt really one of the most appealing away trips to have to make especially when its another day off work).

Friday night football doesnt help ye alot obviously

Anyway, as I keep saying my last couple of posts arent meant to be a pop at ye, just giving the alternative view.

lofty9
12/09/2005, 4:00 PM
TBH Our home attendance figures have been very disappointing, considering our position. But there is a great effort made by our fans to get to the away games. Some teams appeal to our part time supporters - I know guys who won't turn up if we are playing Longford (no offence) They refuse to go and watch them as they have had a history of dour play at the Brandywell. I know the cup match against Rovers will attract up to double the attendance we had at the weekend, especially as the team produced the most outstanding first half display seen at the Brandywell on Friday since we were 6-0 up at half time v cork in the 80's.

dublinred
12/09/2005, 4:17 PM
Looking forward to returning to the brandywell next season , have some fond memories of it apart from when we blew a 4 nil aggregate with 45 mins left in the northwest shield final circa 1997.Derry will bring more away fans to the showgrounds in one match than the entire first division will for all matches this season.

dancinpants
12/09/2005, 4:27 PM
Looking forward to returning to the brandywell next season , have some fond memories of it apart from when we blew a 4 nil aggregate with 45 mins left in the northwest shield final circa 1997.Derry will bring more away fans to the showgrounds in one match than the entire first division will for all matches this season.

Jesus that was some match. Ye were 3-0 up from the first leg, and went 1 up in the 2nd. Then our reserves took yis to the cleaners - even had the luxury of missin' a peno!!!. That was the Irish News Cup.

Slash/ED
12/09/2005, 10:40 PM

Seemed to work all the same...

dortie
13/09/2005, 7:57 AM
'Yeah - we're a sh!t lot us Derry fans.....'

Never said you were a sh!t lot, just stating that alot of things are over exaggerated probably because people remember the good old days when you had sh!t loads going around the country every week (and also because you make alot of noise with your drum making it sound like theres more there :rolleyes: !)

Again, not having a pop before any derry fan gets his knickers in a twist and starts anther thread on your site saying that cosmo hates derry, just stating a fact (and again not having a pop, how many times do i have to say that? :o , but I thought you'd have alot more in united park the other week considering your league position and your 'great' reputation)

Aye, i remember the days Drogs were nothing but a little rural team :D ....Heres one for you all, and not a word of a lie. About 5/6 years ago a Drogs player ****ed against the goal-post at the half-time interval in the Brandywell, damn all to do with this thread but im remembering some weird moments over the past 20 years !! :D ...Not to mention the treble :cool:

ColinR
13/09/2005, 8:43 AM
Aye, i remember the days Drogs were nothing but a little rural team :D ....Heres one for you all, and not a word of a lie. About 5/6 years ago a Drogs player ****ed against the goal-post at the half-time interval in the Brandywell, damn all to do with this thread but im remembering some weird moments over the past 20 years !! :D ...Not to mention the treble :cool:

the onle and only gerry boyle - another of martin lawlor's gifts to the drogs fans :confused:

one of the worst drogs players of all time. the only 'rememberable' thing he did was '**** on derry' ;) he even had a feature on an old drogs unofficial site:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stands/9265/gerry.htm

dortie
13/09/2005, 12:27 PM
the onle and only gerry boyle - another of martin lawlor's gifts to the drogs fans :confused:

one of the worst drogs players of all time. the only 'rememberable' thing he did was '**** on derry' ;) he even had a feature on an old drogs unofficial site:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stands/9265/gerry.htm

It was a sunday afternoon game, too many hungover heads to catch on to it, he was probably still ****ed himself. Going by how well Drogheda played then id say the whole team was. :D