PDA

View Full Version : The Cyprus and Switzerland Prediction Thread!

TerryPhelan
09/09/2005, 8:50 AM
In a refreshing break from my usual pessimism, I am delighted to inform whoever may care to listen that I think we're going to make it, despite ourselves. I see a scrappy 2-1 win in Cyprus and an even scrappier, heart-stopping skin-of-teeth humdinger of a match against the Swiss, with us barely shading it. The Swiss are just as capable of putting one over on the French, and a draw between these teams (especially a Zidane-less French, now that he might miss the game with a groin injury) is equally likely.

It ain't gonna be pretty, but I think we'll do it (even though we don't really deserve to).

Allez les verts!

:D :ball:

Stuttgart88
09/09/2005, 9:15 AM
I think we'll get 6 points by playing some of the most nervous scrappy, football we've ever played out in Cyprus followed by a repeat of the atmosphere & performance from the other night.

Dublin12
09/09/2005, 9:37 AM
Cyprus 1 Ireland 2
Ireland 1 Switzerland 1

Dawn_Run
09/09/2005, 10:15 AM
Cyprus 0-3 Ireland
Ireland 4-1 Switzerland

Sligo Hornet
09/09/2005, 10:56 AM
Cyprus 0-3 Ireland
Ireland 4-1 Switzerland

Over optimistic??.....or is this your prediction for the 'Corner Count'? :D

elroy
09/09/2005, 1:22 PM
Cant see where you're getting the four goals from.
I think we'll beat Cyprus 3-0, which do wonders for everyones confidence, we'll all have forgotten about the France game and go into the Swiss game on a high. On the other hand, the Swiss will have only drawn or maybe lost to the French, so wont be quite as confident.
Revenge and a 2-1 win at home, we wont have any nails left at the end of it.

eirebhoy
09/09/2005, 5:05 PM
Cyprus 0-1 Ireland
Ireland 2-0 Swiss

keenanboy
09/09/2005, 5:24 PM
I'm going to stick my neck out here:

Cyprus 0-4/5 Ireland, our back 4 will be the same and i reckon if we get an early goal the floodgates could finally open for us.
Ireland 3-0 Switzerland, Swiss to implode after heavy home defeat to France the previous Saturday, confidence low. Back 4 soak up everything and duffer skins them alive. :)

The glass is half full, not half empty!

Tram_14
09/09/2005, 5:31 PM
"Swiss to implode after heavy home defeat to France the previous Saturday"

How sweet that would be... I find the swiss sooo arogant far worse than the french, & that rosy cheaked b@stard Frei really needs a lesson in humility, please let it be us that gives it too him.

thejollyrodger
09/09/2005, 6:35 PM
Im going for a 2-0 win in cyprus or 3-1. I think we can defintely stretch them but it will take a lot of work.

We can beat switzerland by a goal but they will be really up for it and its going to take a lot of luck.

onenilgameover
10/09/2005, 1:50 PM
3-1 Cyprus 2 - 1 Swiss

paul_oshea
10/09/2005, 2:31 PM
onenil, you said we would beat france, i cant take your prediction seriously :D :p

i honestly think we could end up drawing with schweiz and then israel going through as the rolls will have drawn with them.

the swiss are horrid arrogant though, and the worst thing is completely unfounded but we cant beat them either for some stupid reason, by rights we should be giving them a 3 - 0 thumping. :mad:

Irish Pride
10/09/2005, 5:42 PM
I could care less if ireland puts in the worst desplay under kerr for these 2 games just as long we get the 6 points.

I would say 2-0 against Cypus.....

3-1 against the Swiss. Lets hope we finally get one over on the swiss.

Qwerty
10/09/2005, 6:08 PM
Well Brian Kerr has to win a competitive game against moderate opposition at some stage and in attempt to be optimistic I will say we will win our last 2 games before losing out in the play-offs by being unable to finish off the visiting team.

Cyprus 1 - 2 Ireland

Ireland 2 - 1 Switzerland

Littlest Hobo
12/09/2005, 2:38 PM
Providing no injuries between now and October, here are my teams and results for both games.

Cyprus (A) 2-0 win

Given

Carr Dunne Cunningham Harte

Finnan Kilbane O'Shea Duff

Keane Connolly

Switzerland (H) 1-0 win

Given

Finnan Dunne Cunningham O'Shea

Reid Keane Kilbane Duff

Keane Morrison or Connolly

Providing no major upset Swiss/Fra game, Play-off place is definetly achievable :) :ball:

Green Army Girl
12/09/2005, 3:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Army Girl
Ill eat my lovely FAI hat if we dont win thats how confident i am, mind you i sometimes get these predictions wrong

Well after that comment about the French match i think ill keep my mouth closed. Peadar will be happy to hear that !!

thejollyrodger
12/09/2005, 4:07 PM
we have bearly kept a clean sheet against decent opposition yet , if we win it will be a 2-1 against the choclate makers. We can beat the cyprus 2-0 or by right 4-0 if we put our minds to it and everyone is fit

paul_oshea
12/09/2005, 4:18 PM
ah id say peadar likes when you have your mouth open! ;)

Green Army Girl
12/09/2005, 4:28 PM

I dont usually get complaints about wat comes out of my mouth, only joking. :D

thepogues
12/09/2005, 4:49 PM
Im really confident we can get to the playoffs. My prediction

Ireland 3 Cyprus 0
I think it will be like the Saudi match in the world cup were well get an early goal and then it will nervy for most of the match then well bang in 2 quick goals.

Ireland 2 Switzerland 1
I reckon well start off well here and score just before and after half time, then switzerland will get a goal in the last few minutes for a nervy final but well hold on.

Then we will get England in the playoffs and in their current form well beat them, and then well get to the world cup and beat Brazil 4-2 in the final with Richard Dunne getting a hatrick as he has been converted into a stricker beacuse of his power.............................. Ah feck im getting a little bit carried away , but they are my predictions for the cyprus and switzerland games

Tram_14
12/09/2005, 5:23 PM
Eh....Paul how did you get away with that one :confused:

Partizan
13/09/2005, 8:00 PM
Here's mine:

Cyprus 0 - 3 Ireland
Ireland 2 - 1 Switzerland

and the play-off against the Klingons

tricky_colour
13/09/2005, 9:38 PM
Will we beat the Swiss? We haven't beaten any of the top teams so far in
5 attempts, 4 draws and a defeat, yes we are at home but our home record
is worse than results away.
Sorry to sound pessimistic but that is a fairly realistic analysis.
I hope we do win like I hoped we would win the previous matches, but
that didn't happen.
Still lets hope we do at last win won cos if we don't were out!!!

lambay
14/09/2005, 7:15 AM
I dont wish to rain on the parade but I am amazed by everyone's optimism. Due to Kerr's complete lack of experience at senior level we find ourselves in this mess where we have to beat both the Cypriots and Swiss. Under another management team I would be confident of achieving two victories but I just have this terrrible feeling in my stomach that under Kerr we will draw with the Cypriots and Swiss. I hope I am wrong.

Metrostars
14/09/2005, 2:00 PM
I think we will get a 1-0 win against Cyprus.

As for the Swiss game, you have to look at how their game against France will go to figure out how they will play against us. The simple fact is that the Swiss have to beat either us or France to get to the playoffs at least. If they get two draws, they will be level on points with Israel but Israel wins the tiebreaker. I can't see France losing to the Swiss so with that in mind, the Swiss have to try and win in Dublin. That should lead to a more open game and with that being said I am more hopeful for an Irish win. 2-1 to us.

keenanboy
15/09/2005, 8:15 PM
I'm amazed at all these positive predictions and then I go into the poll for wether we'll qualify or not and see the exact opposite!

Condex
15/09/2005, 11:02 PM
I'm amazed at all these positive predictions and then I go into the poll for wether we'll qualify or not and see the exact opposite!

Agree, will be lucky to scrape a win in Cyprus ansd unless we play better than usual we will not beat the Swiss...

eirebhoy
11/10/2005, 9:31 AM
Cyprus 0-1 Ireland
Ireland 2-0 Swiss
I'm praying this comes through. :)

concanta
11/10/2005, 9:35 AM
Won't the team playing tomorrow be very similar ( with the exception of duff) to the team that drew 2-2 with israel........wasnt that opening 30 mins probably the best we have played so far

concanta
11/10/2005, 9:46 AM
according to elevenaside website senderos is a big doubt for tomorrow...would be good if he didnt make it

Tired&Emotional
11/10/2005, 9:49 AM
Good stuff Concanta......I'd like to hear of Swiss misfortunes for a change!!

thejollyrodger
11/10/2005, 9:50 AM
just re reading this thread i realised how overally optimistic i was pre cyprus. 2-0 victory i said and 4-0 if we really put our minds to it. God how wrong was I.

If we win tomorrow night it will DEFINTELY be by a single goal. Im now going for a draw though. I dont think I will be able to stomach watching the swiss celebrate in front of us again. its going to be so sickening.

elroy
11/10/2005, 9:53 AM
That would be great if he's out. The closer we get to the game the more confident I am. The lads will seriously wanna to get one over the Swiss, if the lads loyal to Mick McC will feel revenge is needed.
Home advantage and also the fact that we cannot play as badly as we did against Cyprus.
Im going for a 2-1 to Ireland and its gonna be the most nervous 90 or so mins in a long time. If we score early it will be interesting to see what tactics Kerr employs.