PDA

View Full Version : Cyrprus team

pineapple stu
08/09/2005, 8:45 PM
Who are we looking at to replace the suspended trio? Finnan for Reid, Kavanagh or Holland for Keane and Elliott for Morrison? Makes things a bit trickier! Finnan'd be very defensive on the wing for a game we have to take to the opposition, Elliott's unproven at this level and Holland and Kavanagh are no Roy Keanes (though Kavanagh's mouthing in Basel is still fondly remembered! :) )

geysir
08/09/2005, 9:26 PM
You are too fast out of the blocks for me with this subject.

brine3
08/09/2005, 10:34 PM
Given

Harte
O'Brien (or Dunne)
Cunningham (or Dunne)
Carr

Duff
O'Shea
Kavanagh
S Reid

Keane
Connolly

Risteard
09/09/2005, 7:24 AM
O Callaghan, Houlihan and Connoly or Doyle should be drafted in.

tonycuna
09/09/2005, 8:22 AM
Why not start with Elliott-Robbie?
Do u think it's not the right moment to give him a chance, or he could does the job?

I'd definitely go with Holland in the middle

livehead1
09/09/2005, 8:35 AM

yep, eircom league tinted glasses....if they were good enough they wud be with bigger clubs esp. houlihan.. these players have the talent but lack consistancy and are unlikely to hack it at international level

Stuttgart88
09/09/2005, 8:40 AM
Why not start with Elliott-Robbie?
Do u think it's not the right moment to give him a chance, or he could does the job?

I'd definitely go with Holland in the middle

I'd start with Elliott & Robbie. Against Cyprus in Dublin Kerr picked Kavanagh & Kilbane - they did pretty well that day. A lot will depend on who's been playing regularly during September.

TerryPhelan
09/09/2005, 8:55 AM
Given

Carr
Cunningham
Dunne
Harte

S. Reid/Finnan
Kavanagh
Kilbane (not because I think he should play, but because I think Kerr will pick him)
Duff

Keane
Elliott

Stuttgart88
09/09/2005, 9:03 AM
Kerr also has the option of playing Kilbane on the left and Duff on the right, where Duff is just as effective I think.

Alternatively, this could be a chance to try something I'd like to have seen tried a while ago: Carr RHM, Finnan RB. Carr is more aggressive going forward than Finnan. Anyone agree?

If this works, this could also be what's required to allow Andy Reid move into the middle in future games.

tonycuna
09/09/2005, 9:16 AM
Finnan is very consistent at the back, and it could be a good solution with Carr in front of him.
Kevin at the left, and Damien at right it's like 2002WC (when there were Robbie-Quinny forwards), so we know it can works.
I'm agree also with trying Andy Reid at the middle, he can be well, he has the potential to do it, like vision, passing and shoot from outside the box.

OwlsFan
09/09/2005, 9:19 AM
How anyone can pick Harte is beyond me. His lack of pace at international level, even against Cyprus, will be exposed. Remember 2002 - he is not a better player since then.

I think the team (injuries apart) pretty much picks itself with a possible question as to whether Kilbane is still worth his midfield place. I'd probably go with him and play Holland instead of Kavanagh but would be happy with either.

From the performance of the U21 side against France, I'm not convinced anyone in that team is ready to make the step up.

Given, O'Shea, Cunningham, Dunne, Carr, Duff, Kilbane, Holland, Finnan, Keane, Elliott.

Not exactly a team of world beaters but that's the best we've got.

zinedineontour
09/09/2005, 9:40 AM

good to see someone has a sense of humour after wednesday night anyway ... elliott up front , finnan on the right and kavanagh in the middle ...

Dotsy
09/09/2005, 1:09 PM
We can't afford to be be experimenting in this game playing Carr at RM when he hasn't played there before to the best of my knowledge for Newcastle, Spurs or Ireland. Finnan is just as effective at getting forward IMO and is a good crosser of the ball. He played a more defensive roll in previous matches against the likes of France but he would have plenty of scope to attack against a weaker team like Cyprus.

elroy
09/09/2005, 1:18 PM
Have to go with Elliott up front imo although he hasnt being playing that much football which would be a worry.
Would like to see Finnan or Carr on the right with S Reid in midfield, he's playing week in week out for Blackburn so I think he def is worth a try.