PDA

View Full Version : IL players in the NI squad

CuanaD
08/09/2005, 6:47 PM
I was asked today how many IFA league players are in the Northern Ireland Senior Squad & I had no idea of the answer.
So, can anyone tell me, how many IL players were in the squad for yesterday's match, & how many of them started the game/came on as subs?

Thanks in advance (hope its not a stupid question)

:ball:

pineapple stu
08/09/2005, 8:38 PM
I think Andy Kirk v. Spain in the last campaign was the last IL player to start a competitive game for the North? He did fairly well too - got a move to Hearts out of it, though he moved on to Boston United and now Northampton. Glenn Ferguson has been in squads too. No IL player played last night. The basic NI squad is on the IFA website (http://www.irishfa.com/index/link.php?navi_id=32) - I think all are based outside NI.

-lamb-
08/09/2005, 9:06 PM
i think gary hamilton has also had a run out in recent years.

it seems that a fair few who have played in the IL and move across the water seem to get a run out within a year or so.
we know they're fairly decent players from their IL time but i guess its a matter of making sure they can do the same in higher leagues and watching to see if they are still progressing.
gareth mcauley got a run out against germany after a year at lincoln, sproule after the same time at hibs and ingram at wrexham all spring to mind.

REVIP
08/09/2005, 9:40 PM
It's ancient history now, but I think Felix Healy, at Coleraine at the time, actually played in the 1982 World Cup Finals.

pineapple stu
09/09/2005, 12:45 PM
Yeah, he did - think he got a run as a sub in one game?

Shelsman
09/09/2005, 12:46 PM
Pat McCourt should be in the squad. He's one of the most naturally talented players I've ever seen.

Buller
09/09/2005, 3:22 PM
Pat McCourt should be in the squad. He's one of the most naturally talented players I've ever seen.
DEFINATLY

ORPCS
10/09/2005, 10:20 AM
Andy Smith got a run out for N Ireland while still trotting out for Gurntoran. This was during the period NI set a record for most consecutive matches without scoring a goal (14 I think??).

pineapple stu
10/09/2005, 8:27 PM
Andy Smith got a run out for N Ireland while still trotting out for Gurntoran.
Is that who I'm thinking of when I said Andy Kirk? The lad who played up front in Spain?

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 8:54 PM
Warren Feeney Junior is I believe the third generation of his family to play for the North.

ORPCS
11/09/2005, 8:58 PM
Is that who I'm thinking of when I said Andy Kirk? The lad who played up front in Spain?

Aye probably. Kirk didnt get a look in for NI even at Hearts - he had to start banging in goals in the English 3rd division b4 he got noticed.

I believe Kirk has already had verbals with Lawrie Sanchez and looks like he'll he'll be frozen out for a long time to come - pity ... a half decent player who has fallen down the pecking order further than Ivan Sproule ffs!

Krstic
12/09/2005, 8:04 AM

McCourt was capped against Spain when he was about 17 or 18.
Never got a sniff after that, they just gave him a cap to ensure he never played for the Republic, same thing for Liam Coyle :mad:

Schumi
12/09/2005, 1:24 PM
Wasn't McCourt in the under 21s recently?

gspain
12/09/2005, 1:30 PM
Wasn't McCourt in the under 21s recently?

He definitely played against us in Lurgan. Class act for a while but faded in the 2nd half was substituted. Thought he made the senior squad too for the recent games but not certain of that.

Krstic
12/09/2005, 2:23 PM
He definitely played against us in Lurgan. Class act for a while but faded in the 2nd half was substituted. Thought he made the senior squad too for the recent games but not certain of that.

He hasn't been in the senior squad recently, he was capped once about 3 or 4 years ago against Spain and hasn't had a sniff since.

glentoranfan
13/09/2005, 7:59 PM
This webpage will tell you all you need to know about the Glentoran players that played for Norn Iron, past and present:

http://www.forzaglentoran.com/cap_that_Page_1.htm