PDA

View Full Version : Brazil are back

vlad
19/04/2002, 2:26 PM
Anyone see Brazil and Portugal on wed? Looks like the media who criticised Brazil might have to eat their words come June. Ronaldo looked his old self and when you link him up with Rivaldo, Denilson and Ronaldinho they are going to be some force. Their defence looks good too suprisingly with Lucio of Leverkusen and Roque Junior very solid at centre back. If Keano doesn't lead us to victory i hope Ronaldo scores winner in final. The irony would be great! He is when fully fit the best striker in the world by miles and he'll show it on the greatest stage this summer!

joe
19/04/2002, 5:56 PM
is it a coincidence that Brazil (Nike) played Portugal (Nike) and Germany (Adidas) played Argentina (Adidas) the other night or should I be looking for Dana Scully's number? ;)

The Legend
19/04/2002, 6:38 PM
Well since Brazil and Portugal are the 2 main Portugese speaking countries in the world and their customs are closely tied, thats not a surprise.

As for Argentina v Germany though...... hmnnn 555-666-999 ask the little green man to patch you through

Éanna
20/04/2002, 1:08 PM
Yeah Brazil looked very good. Anyone notice the scary resemblance between Ronaldinho and ALL of the Jackson Five?:D

pete
21/04/2002, 8:04 PM
I'm still sticking with France as favourites as they seem to have greatest determination in their squad.

However all it takes is one bad game for a team to get knocked out & it wouldn't surprise me to see Italy fustrate one of other flashier big teams again.

We all love to see england do bad as per usual but i don't think we have to worry about them getting beyond the 1/4 finals at best this time.

Éanna
22/04/2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pete
We all love to see england do bad as per usual but i don't think we have to worry about them getting beyond the 1/4 finals at best this time.
Wouldn't bet on that. I've watched a few of their games recently and Eriksson has done some excellent work. With a bit of luck, England are quite capable of making it to the semis IMO. They were absolute class against Paraguay, even if they needed a few deflections to make it show, and that wasn't even their full team. At the mo, I'd put money on the following 3 being in the semis: England, Argentina, France. Goes against everything I believe in to say it, but they are a good team:D

City Fan
23/04/2002, 9:33 AM
Great game alright, but can anything really be read into friendlies? By their very nature teams hold back from playing to absolute 100% in these games. Besides, how many teams have there been that played crap in the run-up to a World Cup and then went off and won the damned thing?
My opinion is that the jury is most certainly out on Brazil and their WC chances. They could hardly have been worse in the qualifiers (albeit with a more or less reserve team) and now seem to be getting up a little steam. But, at the end of the day, is it so unusual for the teams concerned to so up for a game between the old 'mother country' and its 'colony'?
Now, don't get me wrong. Being a big fan of Brazil's style of play, I would love to see them continue their current form and win the WC(assuming we don't!!!) but let's just wait 'til a few games into the tournament before making any sweeping generalizations.

I still make Argentina favourites.

wiseman
23/04/2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by The Legend

As for Argentina v Germany though......

A lot of WW2 Nasties ended up in Argentina so maybe not so surprising!!
But it probably was a sponsorship deal. After all they do own the world between them. :eek:

Éanna
23/04/2002, 1:06 PM
If Ronaldo stays fit, brazil will be something to reckon with.

pete
23/04/2002, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

He looked very sharp for Inter last weekend. Lightening accelorating for first few yards - 6 goals in 7 games since he back i think.

City Fan
24/04/2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Éanna

You seem to be forgetting that soccer is an 11 man game, no 1 player has ever made a team. At the same time a fit Ronaldo would be a MAJOR boost for Brazil.

Seanie
25/04/2002, 10:06 PM
France will have to be favourites because they will have the most settled squad and team on the pitch, whereas few of us could predict the Brazil or possibly even the Argentinian line-up at this stage. Portugal have to be the dark horses though. They can beat any team in the world on their day and given the right run of luck, they can win it. If they can progress to the semis without meeting the big four (Brazil, Argentina, Italy or France) they will have the confidence to overturn the big guns. I hope Italy don't win it - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

City Fan
26/04/2002, 9:26 AM
Hope Italy don't win it either after the disgraceful way they almost bored their way to European Championship glory in 2000. As regards France being favourites, I'm not so sure. Certainly they''ll be amongst them. However, no team has retained the World Cup since Brazil in 1962. It's twice as hard to retain the title as it is to win it in the first place. France DO look good enough but, I'll stand by my rediction of Argentina to win it.

Murhy out Now!!

SÓC
26/04/2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by City Fan

You seem to be forgetting that soccer is an 11 man game, no 1 player has ever made a team. At the same time a fit Ronaldo would be a MAJOR boost for Brazil.

A case of not seeing the trees from the wood?
Ireland would not be in the World Cup without Roy Keane, he pretty much is the team. Without him we are only as good as Scotland, Austria and the likes.

City Fan
29/04/2002, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc

A case of not seeing the trees from the wood?
Ireland would not be in the World Cup without Roy Keane, he pretty much is the team.

Tell that to the other 10 in who put in such gutsy performances right through the qualifying campaign. Without Richard Dunne at centre-back against the Dutch they'd surely have caught us for a couple of goals. Given pulled off some truely great saves against Iran at Lansdowne. And, I could mention quite a number more, so DON'T tell me Ireland are a one man team!

Murphy Out Now!!:mad:

pete
29/04/2002, 9:43 AM
Ireland are nothing without Roy Keane. Without him we defend too deep & don't attack enough.

Sure someone as useless as Dunne can pull out a performance or two but Keane does it game after game & you can clearly see he also raises the game of those around him.

btw Dunne was surprisingly good against the dutch but was comically bad in the 1st half against Figo 'n co. If Dunne lost 3 stone he might be a good footballer & wouldn't fall on his ass when trying to turn around.

City Fan
29/04/2002, 10:27 AM
I'm NOT saying we're all that good without Roy Keane, but we certainly wouldn't be as crap as everyone makes out. I also realise that Dunne has his limitations and I don't expect him, as others obviously do, to perform above and beyond them. Surely, though, against stand up forwards (like Germanys), he'd have his uses.

Murphy Out Now!!:mad:

Éanna
30/04/2002, 12:44 PM
I think Keane's presence is as important as his actual quality. How often to you see him bo!!ocking team-mates for mistakes- and it works. he lifts the team and the crowd.

The Legend
03/05/2002, 5:32 PM
France better feicin win again cause i have 30 quid at 5/1 on them.

i also had a light flutter on Portugal, but looking back that may have been stupid.

I will only be happy to lose my money if our lads win through!