PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenlon is to be named Shelbourne's

mouldymurphy
19/04/2002, 12:13 PM
Pat Fenlon is to be named Shelbourne's new manager this evening after the Tolka Park club decided that the veteran midfielder was the most suitable candidate to replace Dermot Keely.

And the former Linfield and Shamrock Rovers player will be joined by Dublin City boss John McDonnell, who will accept the role of assistant and leave City.

The 33-year-old Fenlon has won every honour in club football here with St Patrick's Athletic, where he won the League in 1990, Bohemians, where he was a Cup winner two years later; Fenlon collected two Cup medals and a League medal at Linfield; and he won the League and Cup double at Shels.

The Reds return to training in about three weeks' time and Fenlon will immediately have to prepare his team mates for UEFA Champions' League combat.

The future of former assistant Alan Matthews and coach Noel King is not known.

from www.eircomleague.net

Shelsman
19/04/2002, 2:07 PM
Is it practical to have a team-mate as manager?

He has no managerial experience.............this may be an inspired choice or a complete sham.

Pablo
19/04/2002, 2:11 PM
well look at cork city........it was an 'old boys' club for so long, and still is to a certain extent....i dont think its a good step

pete
19/04/2002, 2:22 PM
IMO strange choice. Maybe funds are a bit tight at tolka to get new person in?

Pablo
19/04/2002, 2:25 PM
Maybe Ollie has bled them dry! :p

Shelsman
19/04/2002, 5:39 PM
Originally posted by pete
IMO strange choice. Maybe funds are a bit tight at tolka to get new person in?

Why do you start all your sentences with 'IMO' ????

Colm
19/04/2002, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
Maybe Ollie has bled them dry! :p I wonder would he have signed for $hel$ if he new Fenlon was taking over as boss??!!!!!!!

Éanna
20/04/2002, 2:02 PM
Considering all the big names who -apparently- were in the running for the job, Fenlon seems a bit of an odd choice. If it had been an "insider" I would have expected Mick Neville to get it. Hopefully nutsy will get rid of Ollie Byrne on the way and get shels relegated down to the LSL- for the good of the league.

pete
21/04/2002, 8:57 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Why do you start all your sentences with 'IMO' ????

Cos i'm stating my opinion? "in my opinion"? as opposed to copying from some other site.........

:rolleyes: