Treaty v Wexford
Kerry v UCD
Athlone v Bray
Cobh v Cork

Monday 13th

Longford v Treaty

sbgawa
07/05/2024, 12:02 PM
Moving on quickly from that shambles of a weekend hopefully we can get a win against Pats to lift the mood around Rovers.
Waterford v Dundalk is a big one moreso for Dundalk , Galway Sligo also a chance for Galway to put massive daylight between them and the bottom, they can start looking up at a potential Euro place.

If Derry werent such complete bottle jobs id be backing them for the league at this stage. If we do make Europe we have no chance of winning the league based on injury record of current squad.
Anyone who thinks this is goinmg to clear up are in cloud cukkoo land, this isnt a bad spell its a trend

Nesta99
07/05/2024, 12:19 PM
It feels like a must win v Waterford now that the must not lose v Drogheda was lost, table toppers also need to lay down a marker againt relegation candidates and start accumulating wins again. Not great timing for Rovers to be playing St Pats with new fresh coaching, even interim, often having the rebound in form effect - whatever about the Dundalk squad, St Pats definitely are in a false league position currently. Deryy dont seem to want to win a league title so Bohs to close the gap with the top. Galway v Sligo a derby so who knows but Galways are favourites though on current form and Sligo need to be looking over the shoulder, Drogheda get a result and Dundalk bounce back with a win and they really are at risk of hitting that dreaded releagation battle rut.

sbgawa
10/05/2024, 9:36 AM
Drogs could get something tonight at Shels. Wish I could sat incase confident of a win for rovers tonight although I heard Burke and burns could be back.
Assuming Farrugia and Jack are OK after playing 30 mins against waterford that's could be a big improvement on recent teams

D24Saint
10/05/2024, 10:18 AM
Haven’t a breeze how we will set up , the team we will play or the current mood in the camp. A mystery evening in Tallaght stadium ahead.

2 Year Contract
10/05/2024, 10:21 AM
It feels like a must win v Waterford now that the must not lose v Drogheda was lost, table toppers also need to lay down a marker againt relegation candidates and start accumulating wins again. Not great timing for Rovers to be playing St Pats with new fresh coaching, even interim, often having the rebound in form effect - whatever about the Dundalk squad, St Pats definitely are in a false league position currently. Deryy dont seem to want to win a league title so Bohs to close the gap with the top. Galway v Sligo a derby so who knows but Galways are favourites though on current form and Sligo need to be looking over the shoulder, Drogheda get a result and Dundalk bounce back with a win and they really are at risk of hitting that dreaded releagation battle rut.

Based on expectations/squad on paper maybe, but based on performances in the 15 games so far they’re exactly where they deserve to be in the table. Do I think it’s a false position in that I think they’ll finish higher than 7th come November? Yes. But so far that’s what’s been served up unfortunately.

Dreading the game tonight, 8 years since Pats have won in Tallaght and I can’t see anything other than a Rovers win in the current scenario. So with that in mind, seeing a good performance with a bit of fight would be nice

placid casual
10/05/2024, 1:41 PM
If we do make Europe we have no chance of winning the league based on injury record of current squad.
Anyone who thinks this is going to clear up are in cloud cukkoo land, this isnt a bad spell its a trend
Get off the spliff sbgawa it's making you paranoid mate!! If your even suggesting Rovers will struggle to make Europe then it's frankly not worth the effort to convince you. Rovers will finish either 1st or a very close 2nd to Derry.
The result on Monday was a bit of an anomaly- Waterford scored 3 goals from 4 chances,and fair play to them. Rovers had a host of chances.
We're not far from having every 1st teamer back apart from the glaring absences of Grace & O'Neill.
Be negative about our European games this season ( I certainly am!!!) all you want, but league wise, believe me mate, we should be just fine.

Buckett
10/05/2024, 2:21 PM
I read sbgawa's comment to mean qualify for group stages this season. Absolutely no doubt that Rovers will finish top 3 in the league this year

Jack B
10/05/2024, 6:07 PM
Pats refusing to just publicly say that O'Connor is taking charge/part of the staff for tonight's game is genuinely hilarious.

Nesta99
10/05/2024, 7:28 PM
Anytime soon would be nice for supossed top 3 or 4 to actually take control and beat the cannon fodder.....
Rovers/Shels/Galway, given up on Derry at this stage!

sbgawa
10/05/2024, 8:10 PM
How much longer can it be before we realise that a goalkeeper who has been a calamity for 6 years at the Club isn't good enough. Do we have to wait until he gets us knocked out of Europe before we get rid.

sbgawa
10/05/2024, 8:11 PM
We are giving a goal headstart in half our matches FFS

DCSIL
10/05/2024, 8:21 PM
Another thumping for Dundalk, not looking good...
Derry huffing and puffing but can't break down Bohs

sbgawa
10/05/2024, 8:41 PM
Pathetic from rovers.
No excuses we are just awful
If we win the league this year it will be a miracle. How bad can Steacy be ????

Shinkicker
10/05/2024, 8:50 PM
Bohs v Derry, a draw was probably a fair result, Akintunde hit the post and put one over from 4 yards out, but no, a poor shot from Duffy is blocked and lands back at the feet of Duffy to score and Derry win in the 83rd minute. Dissapointed at the loss but not the performance, had chances didn't take them.

sulywaterfordfc
10/05/2024, 8:54 PM
Massive win for the Blues in the RSC. To have a 13 point gap over the bottom placed team with a 19 goal swing in the goal difference is a hugely impressive start for a team many people thought would struggle this year.

Sets us up for a huge home game next week. Possibility of putting a 10 point gap over second bottom. Our home form (8 points from 7 games) this season is second worst in the league atm, and Drogheda’s away form (3 points from 8 games) is second worst this season atm. Huge game for both sides, should be an interesting one. It’s on telly Thursday night too.

1982blue
10/05/2024, 8:57 PM
Massive win for the Blues in the RSC. To have a 13 point gap over the bottom placed team with a 19 goal swing in the goal difference is a hugely impressive start for a team many people thought would struggle this year.

Sets us up for a huge home game next week. Possibility of putting a 10 point gap over second bottom. Our home form (8 points from 7 games) this season is second worst in the league atm, and Drogheda’s away form (3 points from 8 games) is second worst this season atm. Huge game for both sides, should be an interesting one. It’s on telly Thursday night too.

Think you're forgetting about Shels away first

joey B
10/05/2024, 8:59 PM
Enjoyable game in Finn Park,both teams defended fairly poorly which helped,Longford didn’t look like a team bottom of the division at times going forward but where fairly poor at the back as were we,first goal for our 18 year old academy graduate Max Johnston aswell and looks like he has a good future….

Dermobohs
10/05/2024, 9:01 PM
Pathetic from rovers.
No excuses we are just awful
If we win the league this year it will be a miracle. How bad can Steacy be ????

Well, he and his family are staunch bohs so I hope you stick him in quick.
He’s a good lad, small though and I don’t reckon up to Europe .
How you ****ers have not sorted this key position out is laughable, ffs most important defensive spot and you’ve left it to that lad?
Decent loi prem goalie but top level no way.
Dundalks lad is available .

sbgawa
10/05/2024, 9:08 PM
We've been looking at this tool for 6 years and everyone knew he wasn't up to it. Change needed straight away. If steacy is worse then this why did we sign him???

Shearer
10/05/2024, 9:24 PM
We've been looking at this tool for 6 years and everyone knew he wasn't up to it. Change needed straight away. If steacy is worse then this why did we sign him???
Jack Brady would have been a better choice.

Shearer
10/05/2024, 9:28 PM
Treaty denied a comeback win by a last gasp equaliser. There was some chatter about it being over the additional five, which it was, but need to watch it back to see was there cause for same.

ger121
10/05/2024, 9:35 PM
Jack Byrne really makes Rovers a lot more dangerous. They just need to clinical with the opportunities he creates.

Bradley bigged up Pohls last season as the one to replace Mannus. He wants and needs him to be a success but now he is caught in a catch 22 situation. Stick with him but risk more mistakes or replace him and both player and manager don’t look good.

Jd2793
10/05/2024, 9:39 PM
kings post game interview is hilarious viewing. smiling away - ah sure we'll give staying up a go anyway . unbelievable they appointed this no-mark.

2 Year Contract
10/05/2024, 9:42 PM
Dreading the game tonight, 8 years since Pats have won in Tallaght and I can’t see anything other than a Rovers win in the current scenario. So with that in mind, seeing a good performance with a bit of fight would be nice

Decent performance, bit of fight AND a point, I’ll take all day long. Thought it was mental how poorly rovers defence and Pohls dealt with being pressed. If they can’t handle the press of a 7th placed pats team then they have a thing or two coming their way in Europe. Pohls is an absolute basket case and will 100% cost them goals in Europe if he’s still starting games by then. At the other end Danny Rogers was dependable as ever and had a brilliant game pulling off 3 point blank saves, 2 of which came in the first half after pats attempted to gift rovers a second goal of the night. Melia was brilliant tonight and ran Lopes ragged, Lopes was very lucky not to be sent off early in the second half for a late challenge on him which wasn’t even given as a foul somehow. Likewise Cleary absolutely clattered him and no foul was given, absolutely laughable refereeing performance from Paul McLaughlin.

https://x.com/robbiecoombes15/status/1789026983008985377?s=46

Dermobohs
10/05/2024, 9:54 PM
Lopes’ challenge was a good one, won the ball.that idiot cleary should have indeed been booked.
Thought rovers got away with a bit though Breslin was lucky to be playing after his cowardly stamp on a Sligo player .

RealJohn91
10/05/2024, 10:01 PM
Didn't take their couple of chances tonight but there's a lot of dross in that Bohs squad unfortunately. Not sure why anybody in this league continues to shop for players in Estonia, for the most part they're clearly miles off the standard even here. I can only imagine how bad the standard week to week in that league must be when they think they have all the time they want on the ball.

Jack B
10/05/2024, 10:13 PM
Pohls is awful for a team with Rovers' aspirations, I know you generally see them given but he was even a bit lucky to have gotten a foul at the end when Pats bundled it in for what would have been 3-2.

2 Year Contract
10/05/2024, 10:43 PM
Just watching the highlights of the other games, absolutely top class technique from Asamoah for his hattrick goal for Waterford tonight, he looks a serious player any time I’ve seen him

Knocklyonhoop
10/05/2024, 10:55 PM
Have to agree with comments 0n Pohls. Was uncomfortable with him being no1 this season despite his strong showing last yr.

but think he could cost us the league but definitely could cost big in Europe.

Nesta99
10/05/2024, 10:57 PM
Another thumping for Dundalk, not looking good...
Derry huffing and puffing but can't break down Bohs

I think we're goosed! All that can be done is to try and make at least a fight of it. No club can deal with constant (and a lot of self inflicted) turmoil. Its not as if we're on a shoestring playing budget. I still think the squad has enough about it to be better, but when under the different kind of pressure that a relegation battle brings, things are forced and the team just looks laboured in everything. It would nearly be better for coaches to say were relegated already so just go out and play unshackled. The main thing is to continue to exist and it seems the club has begun stabilising off the pitch. Reset and go again whichever division that in.

Onapointoforder
10/05/2024, 11:22 PM
kings post game interview is hilarious viewing. smiling away - ah sure we'll give staying up a go anyway . unbelievable they appointed this no-mark.

“We have twenty games left I BELIEVE” ?

Nesta99
10/05/2024, 11:39 PM
Decent performance, bit of fight AND a point, I’ll take all day long. Thought it was mental how poorly rovers defence and Pohls dealt with being pressed. If they can’t handle the press of a 7th placed pats team then they have a thing or two coming their way in Europe. Pohls is an absolute basket case and will 100% cost them goals in Europe if he’s still starting games by then. At the other end Danny Rogers was dependable as ever and had a brilliant game pulling off 3 point blank saves, 2 of which came in the first half after pats attempted to gift rovers a second goal of the night. Melia was brilliant tonight and ran Lopes ragged, Lopes was very lucky not to be sent off early in the second half for a late challenge on him which wasn’t even given as a foul somehow. Likewise Cleary absolutely clattered him and no foul was given, absolutely laughable refereeing performance from Paul McLaughlin.

https://x.com/robbiecoombes15/status/1789026983008985377?s=46

He wasnt clattered. Cleary was an idiot for raising the leg as he was risking the ref having to make a decision and maybe others would have carded him. But it didnt happen at any pace, Pats player more fell over and on to the raised leg. For Calamity Cleary that was controlled, maybe he thought about it and put the breaks on. Didnt look to me that there was enough in it for it to even be a stinger never mind an injury and was being milked. A free and no more for me and not totally sure it was actually a free though you'd expect one to be given in this era of non contact football.

Knocklyonhoop
10/05/2024, 11:40 PM
Have to agree with comments 0n Pohls. Was uncomfortable with him being no1 this season despite his strong showing last yr.

but think he could cost us the league but definitely could cost big in Europe.

joey B
10/05/2024, 11:45 PM
Just watching the highlights of the other games, absolutely top class technique from Asamoah for his hattrick goal for Waterford tonight, he looks a serious player any time I’ve seen him

Unbelievable finish that,superb!

holidaysong
11/05/2024, 12:07 AM

This was shocking. Like, how can you not know inside out how many games are left.

Nesta99
11/05/2024, 12:26 AM

He knows exactly how many games are left, this is more a turn of phrase than not actually being sure. All of Kings interviews have those kind of comments, like he's always having a lark, lighthearted, chirpy, no pressure nothing to see here stuff. Its an old tactic to act the ejit and try to be disarming while being deadly serious behind the scenes - but it is an old tactic that people wont fall for and opponents will prepare just as hard for every fixture. The problem is that people are seeing things exactly as above,like that there are no consequences to him if his team is relegated. Maybe a big relegation clause pay cut, or bonus to stay up would make him at least try to look more focused and abrasive about the task in hand.

Maybe he genuinely is having a laugh, that he is already in bonus territory and cant believe his luck - BA made an owners call irrespective of general opinions, but he's not a mug with his money either so if he isnt seeing King trying day to day he wont be long asking questions. Mistakes he can make but throwing his money away on a manager thats leaving everything to the interim coaches, well that wont be tolerated for too long. Id hope that King has more professional pride than just larking about.

Anyway its a full compliment of capable backroom staff thats needed, let Burns get back to his community role and underage coaching, Garts back to his technical role, get a keepers coach in, who is the opposition analyst? Ye look at Alan Matthews, for example, where he now has a good coach in as assistant, he has Croly available if needed, Caulfield has Horgan even, every club has a manager backed by hand picked coaches. Dundalk so far have parachuted a manager in with a coaching team that have been taken from other areas of the club, not specifically recruited and thats the biggest indicator for me that the team wont change much bar basic tactics, personnel and formations. Set pieces have been awful and at the very least a decent coach under the manager should be able to improve that area of play....is it the owners role to dictate to the manager how he runs training? Mad Bill tried it. We have a CEO with a bunch of coach CVs, will there be appointments made by him subsequently or should he stick his nose in to coaching affairs either? I dont think Ive seen these questions being posed by the meda? If this week its announced that say a McLaughlin is in as assistant then there is a tiny hope that that the fine margins can be worked on and put us in the fight. If the plan is for King to be an experienced head with essentially the same coaching set up nothing changes in the form guide - not even Stephen Kenny would sort things out without bespoke coaching team to go with a new manager. A new manager should be demanding these things must be art of him taking the job...i'm sure its all in the work!

trevy
11/05/2024, 5:51 AM

Great win last night. 3 wins in a row now which lifts us from 8th to 4th and have a game in hand on top 3.
We have Shelbourne away next Friday and then Drogheda at home the following Thursday.

placid casual
11/05/2024, 8:16 AM
Waterford the team in form at the moment,and fair play. I was naturally pre-disposed to mocking Longs attempt to win a trophy with the avocaboezs, but he's doing a fine job there on the south east- should probably get their pitch watered a bit more as it should help them improve their home form

As for the game in tallaght last night........a tale of 2 keepers,one broadly capable of doing his job, the other ehm not so much, and 2 sets of centre half's ,one set throwing the bodies in the way of everything determined to defend,the others wandering around the pitch like day 3 music festival f*ckups....
Rovers are getting their attacking players back from injury but their defensive rocks ( Grace and O'Neil) are still be missed quite badly.

total hoofball
11/05/2024, 9:23 AM
I'm really scratching my head how on earth Shels could still be top of any league of football after 16 games with only 1 win 9

Should have been 2 wins in 9 absolutely wasteful finishing again. Some people wonder why the goalscoring rate is so bad in the league, well it's not due to any world class defences just go to Tolka last night for an example and see players freeze infront of goal and struggle to hit shots with direction or venom. Players look so overcoached these days they don't know how to do the most important thing to put in the ball in back of that net!

pineapple stu
11/05/2024, 9:50 AM
I'm really scratching my head how on earth Shels could still be top of any league of football after 16 games with only 1 win in 9
I suppose it's partly because the team losing €50k a week has dropped almost as many points as they've picked up this season (25 from 48)

Very strange season.

outspoken
11/05/2024, 11:01 AM
Strange game at RSC, Dundalk keeper gifts Blues a goal after 2 mins but Waterford were dreadful for the next 40+ minutes, Dundalk score a well worked equaliser and were well on top heading towards HT only to get caught with a sucker punch. 2nd half Dundalk were in it without doing much, even at 3-1 I felt if they could get a goal back they'd have every chance but half just seemed to pass them by, Mountney then fills the togs gifting Asamoah his hattrick.

Why Dundalk waited until the 84th min to bring on O'Kane and Durrant is beyond comprehension. Cammy Elliott clearly isn't a footballer, Gullan needs a good boot up the h0le the next time he chucks himself to the floor, consistently at it, throwing his arms around like a charlie for a lad who has achieved nothing in the game. The fact that Shelvey carried on as he did after the Drogs game suggests a complete lack of order in that dressing room, I've heard other things that would worry me too in regards to professionalism in the camp from certain players.

I'd seen enough last few weeks to suggest they'd be ok but the King situation has now become a total sideshow and will sink them quicker than the titanic unless the owner gets a hold of himself. If Kenny goes to Pats the entire place could become toxic up in Oriel. The owner was doing the rounds shaking hands before the Shels game, can't see him getting such a warm reception if this all continues the way it's going.

TonyD
11/05/2024, 11:03 AM
He wasnt clattered. Cleary was an idiot for raising the leg as he was risking the ref having to make a decision and maybe others would have carded him. But it didnt happen at any pace, Pats player more fell over and on to the raised leg. For Calamity Cleary that was controlled, maybe he thought about it and put the breaks on. Didnt look to me that there was enough in it for it to even be a stinger never mind an injury and was being milked. A free and no more for me and not totally sure it was actually a free though you'd expect one to be given in this era of non contact football.

I’ll have to watch it back, but at the game last night it certainly looked like he clattered him.

Polls was poor last night, particularly his kicking, but I wouldn’t say he cost Rovers the point. Maybe he could have been a little quicker out to Melia for the equaliser, but I wouldn’t put the first goal down to him. What Rovers were doing putting so many in the wall, and a players lying down behind, leaving them short of defenders to deal with the cross is anyone’s guess. Kavanagh was never going to shoot from the free, the ball was always going to be put into the box.

da bishop
11/05/2024, 4:26 PM
Treaty looked like breaking their winless run 2-1 ahead deep into injury time ,didnt see it out and despite the 4 goals in this game let it not fool anyone how poor both teams were in what was as close to a yawn fest as any match you would witness.Seldom i praise Barretts interviews after games but at least he wasnt using the refs interpretation of injury time as an excuse for losing that late goal unlike others.

De Town
13/05/2024, 10:15 AM
Just catching up on the highlights from the weekend's games here and I know I shouldn't be surprised by any refereeing decisions in a LOI game at this stage, but the two yellow cards that David Dunne handed out for diving to Gullan and Asamoah in the RSC the other night have to be two of the worst decisions in a long time. Complete and utter incompetence from officials.

Stuttgart88
13/05/2024, 11:16 AM
Jack Byrne really makes Rovers a lot more dangerous. They just need to clinical with the opportunities he creates.

Bradley bigged up Pohls last season as the one to replace Mannus. He wants and needs him to be a success but now he is caught in a catch 22 situation. Stick with him but risk more mistakes or replace him and both player and manager don’t look good.

Is Nathan Shepperd available?

Stuttgart88
13/05/2024, 11:22 AM

But think he could cost us the league but definitely could cost big in Europe.He's clearly talented. He has made some really good saves and at good times such as at 0-0 at both Tolka and in Derry. Made great late catches from corners v Dundalk and also at Tolka I think.

But too many errors are spooking the team (and me) now. You'd like to see him having grown in confidence and believing he's the champions' number 1 at this stage but he looks edgy and teams will be targeting him.

I know nothing about Steacy.

Kearns looks the best in the league to me right now. I alsways liked Shepperd at Dundalk but isn't he at Wycombe now? Wogan at Drogheda is a real talent but not even their no. 1 right now. It's a problem Rovers need to address.

nigel-harps1954
13/05/2024, 12:15 PM
Is Nathan Shepperd available?

Being released by Wycombe after signing a short term deal there in February. Potentially a smart move for a couple of clubs with goalkeeping issues.

2 Year Contract
13/05/2024, 12:25 PM
Being released by Wycombe after signing a short term deal there in February. Potentially a smart move for a couple of clubs with goalkeeping issues.

I reckon he stays in the UK now which seems to be his main aim given the get out for free clause Andy Burton attempted to put into a new contract for him last off-season. After the troubles that Burton spoofer had in getting him a club mid UK season he’d potentially be back to square 1 if he came back to the LOI this summer

Nesta99
13/05/2024, 2:33 PM
If Sheppard wasnt in demand last summer, January and is now being released rather than retaind after a short term free agent deal then I doubt he has a load of options. That short term deal was a favour to the agent that mde balls of things for his player. It was an agent demand for a free release clause, even a relatively small minimum fee wasnt agreeable. Rovers would be a huge step forward for Sheppard in his current career status, indeed Longford even in their current position shouldnt be dismissed out of hand by the chap or his agent. Whether you'd want Burton to get a toe in the door at your club is another thing altogether!