PDA

View Full Version : Oily gets off lightly again

Pages : [1] 2

iceman
07/09/2005, 9:31 PM
Oily got a one month ban from attending EL games - very lenient!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/09/07/story219670.html

chippie0001
07/09/2005, 9:32 PM
What I want to know is what exactly does this ban mean and when Ollie breaks it what will happen?

Anto McC
07/09/2005, 9:34 PM
Nothing will happen,It's Ollie ;)

iceman
07/09/2005, 9:55 PM
Tend to agree , he seems to be able to do whatever he wants and get away with it.

Anto McC
07/09/2005, 9:59 PM
Tend to agree , he seems to be able to do whatever he wants and get away with it.

Yeah and wait till he buys the title from under Corks nose,you'll start to notice a few dodgy decisions go against the home side in the X from now on :rolleyes:

Just for the record,Cork fans,I am being sarcastic

ThatGuy
07/09/2005, 11:22 PM
How did he get away lightly? A €2000 fine? I doubt Ollie takes much more than about 15k p/a from Shels considering his dedication to the club. About as harsh a punishment as we could expect.

Slash/ED
08/09/2005, 12:37 AM
lightly :D

Student Mullet
08/09/2005, 1:14 AM
Let's plant a mole in 21 eL grounds.

I'll report if he turns up in Belfield.

rerun
08/09/2005, 7:16 AM
So when does the ban start and what games will it cover?

markdit
08/09/2005, 7:25 AM
what i cant understand is how he gets such small fines and lenient punishments when he gives the eL such a bad name on a regular basis

if only he could be put out of anything 2 do with the eL good

we should be so lucky :rolleyes:

iceman
08/09/2005, 10:50 AM
considering that it does appear that the Drogheda cameraman took a dive.

Dont think you were there Stephen , how can you say that?

ThatGuy
08/09/2005, 10:52 AM
what i cant understand is how he gets such small fines and lenient punishments when he gives the eL such a bad name on a regular basis

if only he could be put out of anything 2 do with the eL good

we should be so lucky :rolleyes:
What kind of fine do you expect the FAI to dish out? Last month Fenlon's €1000 fine was said to be a league record by €400. Ollie has been fined €2000 and banned for a month. What more do you expect, seriously? That's probably a massive chunk out of his salary from Shelbourne.

Vitruvian Man
08/09/2005, 10:54 AM
Two grand is a big fine in El terms.
I wonder if the league will accept a sterling cheque from the Ulster Bank in Newry.

EnDai
08/09/2005, 11:03 AM
He is now unable to attend any eircom League ground for one hour before, during and for one hour after all matches within the next month.

€2000 is a huge fine in EL terms. In that article it says its double the highest ever received, which was Nutsy's! ;) lol.

pete
08/09/2005, 11:21 AM
€2000 is big enough fine in eL terms if go by previous records. It shuld be noted that Oily has been repeatadly warned & threatened as to his future behariour included a couple of times last season.

Does anyone actually believe Oily could stay away from a home game at Tolka an hour pre & post match?

Any UCD fans see Fenlon at Tolka last week? Is he upholding his ban?

What will the eL do when Oily and/or Fenlon break their bans?

Vitruvian Man
08/09/2005, 11:42 AM
When Bohs played Shels in Dalymount this season Nutsy was serving a touchline ban.

He spent the entire time in the TV gantry with a great view of the game and constantly on his mobile phone to Eamon Collins. We even have him on video doing it.

The touchline bans are an inconvenience - not a punishment.

TheOwl
08/09/2005, 11:48 AM
When Bohs played Shels in Dalymount this season Nutsy was serving a touchline ban.

He spent the entire time in the TV gantry with a great view of the game and constantly on his mobile phone to Eamon Collins. We even have him on video doing it.

The touchline bans are an inconvenience - not a punishment.

It still cost us big time though didn’t it?

It was that Crawley/Cahill fuk up that cost us the game, it wouldn‘t have happened if Fenlon was on the bench. Collins can’t be trusted to do anything!

EnDai
08/09/2005, 11:48 AM
The rules allow him to do it, so there's nothing wrong with it. However, they need to clamp down on the strictness of these "bans" and keep offenders away from the pitch.

It might also help the conduct of some people if the bands were more serious! ;)

pete
08/09/2005, 11:54 AM
The rules allow him to do it, so there's nothing wrong with it. However, they need to clamp down on the strictness of these "bans" and keep offenders away from the pitch.

The bans say that perosn must stay away from ground during the game as wel, as 1 hour before & after it. Are you suggesting a commentary box is not in the ground? :rolleyes:

TheOwl
08/09/2005, 12:02 PM
The bans say that perosn must stay away from ground during the game as wel, as 1 hour before & after it. Are you suggesting a commentary box is not in the ground? :rolleyes:

When it concerns a manager, I don't think they say that the person has to be away from the ground, but rather that they have to be a certain distance from the pitch and the dressing rooms. He certainly cannot be in contact with the bench though.

The Ollie ban though seems to be different as he is not a manager,and hence, a touchline ban would be no punishment, so he won't be allowed into the ground.

Macy
08/09/2005, 12:07 PM
Haven't we been through this chestnut before? The bans are a certain distance from the dugout during the match, and not on the pitch or in the dressing room pre or post match. Or it was back in this case (could've changed in the meantime).

Vitruvian Man
08/09/2005, 12:17 PM
I can be corrected on this but I think the text of the rule states that the manager must be 50 yards away from the touchline. In a lot of EL grounds this would put them outside. It's a typical Eircom League mess the rules are bad so everybody ignores them even the officials who are meant to uphold them.

I am not having a dig at Shels here either. I know for a, as we like to say in Bohs, FACT that other clubs are subverting their bans as well.

pete
08/09/2005, 12:19 PM
We've been though this before. Fenlon broke his ban by walking across the pitch in Dalymount directly after the match. The eL knew he broke the ban, discussed it but did nothing.

Buile Shuibhne
08/09/2005, 12:40 PM
The wording of the bans for technical staff, introduced this season was a bit ambigous at the start, particularly the the bit about apres-match - as shown in the first ban that Fenlon got for the Bohs Vs Shels game in the first round of fixtures:

6th May 2005
Pat Fenlon (Manager, Shelbourne) suspended for TWO (2) competitive matches, fined €200 and warned as to his future conduct. For this two match suspension, Mr Fenlon is to remain at least 50 metres away from the dressing room, technical area and pitch for at least two hours before the matches as well as during and after the matches.

It has since been clarified and expanded:

The following suspensions and sanctions were issued by the Disciplinary Commission at their meeting on Wednesday, 24th August 2005 and will take effect as and from Wednesday, 7th September 2005 unless otherwise stated:

Pat Fenlon (Manager, Shelbourne) suspended for FOUR (4) competitive matches, fined €1,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct as a result of being removed from the technical area by the referee v Drogheda United (08.08.05). For this four match suspension, Mr Fenlon is to remain at least 50 metres away from the dressing room, technical area and pitch for at least two hours before the matches as well as during the matches and for one hour after the matches.

This Ollie Byrne ban, mentions no particulars:

Oliver Byrne (Secretary, Shelbourne) suspended from Wednesday, 21st September to Thursday, 20th October inclusive, fined €2,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct as a result of it being found that he used unnecessary force to prevent Mr Terry Collins from taking photographs and as a result brought the game into disrepute v Drogheda United (08.08.05).

pete
08/09/2005, 12:54 PM
6th May 2005
Pat Fenlon (Manager, Shelbourne) suspended for TWO (2) competitive matches, fined €200 and warned as to his future conduct. For this two match suspension, Mr Fenlon is to remain at least 50 metres away from the dressing room, technical area and pitch for at least two hours before the matches as well as during and after the matches.

Bohs commentary box is less than 50 metres (approx half a pitch length) from the pitch. Last I checked walking across a pitch after a match also breaks that. Standing outside the dressing room also breaks it. I know your saying the bans better worded now but if it went to Court Fenlon would lose it i'm sure.

ThatGuy
08/09/2005, 12:58 PM
Is there any EL ground in the country where you can be 50 metres away from the pitch and still be inside the stadium? Makes no sense.

manic da hoop
08/09/2005, 1:01 PM
The wording of the bans for technical staff, introduced this season was a bit ambigous at the start, particularly the the bit about apres-match - as shown in the first ban that Fenlon got for the Bohs Vs Shels game in the first round of fixtures:

6th May 2005

[/I]

Sorry, but the hell is ambigous about that? :confused:

Typical Shels trying to twist the rules in the favour yet again, did Oily get you all to study Law?

anto eile
08/09/2005, 1:24 PM
the ban for fenlon states he has to be 50 metres away from the pitch.theres no way he can be in ANY el ground and still remain 50 metres from the pitch

Buile Shuibhne
08/09/2005, 2:02 PM
Sorry, but the hell is ambigous about that?

for at least two hours before the matches as well as during and after the matches.

It didn't give any duration of time for after the match - the new wording now clearely specifies for one hour after the gamr

Roverstillidie
08/09/2005, 2:26 PM
so is it up to the league to enforce this or is it up to rovers not let pat into the stadium tomorrow night?

green-blood
08/09/2005, 2:37 PM
I cant see him camping out in teh TV gantry for 2 hours befoer kick off

any chance you could scan the wording of the Ollie ban order and put that on the net too Fintan???

Roo69
08/09/2005, 2:53 PM
Is there any EL ground in the country where you can be 50 metres away from the pitch and still be inside the stadium? Makes no sense.

I reckon the Carlisle might be one of the only ones close to 50 meters, doen the far end of the ground behind the training pitch would be close on 50 meters i reckon

Buile Shuibhne
08/09/2005, 2:53 PM
I cant see him camping out in teh TV gantry for 2 hours befoer kick off

any chance you could scan the wording of the Ollie ban order and put that on the net too Fintan???

I did above - copyed & pasted from the official email

Again:

Oliver Byrne (Secretary, Shelbourne) suspended from Wednesday, 21st September to Thursday, 20th October inclusive, fined €2,000 and severely warned as to his future conduct as a result of it being found that he used unnecessary force to prevent Mr Terry Collins from taking photographs and as a result brought the game into disrepute v Drogheda United (08.08.05).

Roverstillidie
08/09/2005, 3:08 PM
so nutsy wont be in dalymount tomorrow night?
nice

EnDai
08/09/2005, 3:32 PM
I thought Fenlon just had another touchline ban for his few games. In which case he'll probably be acting the tripod again.

Roverstillidie
08/09/2005, 3:34 PM
I thought Fenlon just had another touchline ban for his few games. In which case he'll probably be acting the tripod again.

for at least 2 hours before and 1 hour after the match?!?

if we lose more points for helping shels cheat..... :mad:

Troy.McClure
08/09/2005, 4:46 PM
Well ye know what I (but not TikTok) would say about Ollie! ;) :D

I think that its got to the stage with Nutsy and Ollie that points deductions should come in to play. It was thte only thing that worked with Rovers why not Shels?

higgins
08/09/2005, 5:48 PM
What exactly did a points deduction for rovers make them do ?

€2,000 fine is fairly huge considering he has no previous fine this season. There is no way that a red card for a manager should result in a points deduction either :eek:
Would Bohs and Longford then be deducted points too ?

Cant see how they are going to keep Ollie away from the ground either?? The fine seems bad enough for what he did considering the press release by Drogheda contained lies/errors.

Troy.McClure
08/09/2005, 6:06 PM

Well I'll put it this way, they wont be screwing up their paper work again anytime soon. They got off the first time around and were suitably punished with a points deduction IMO

€2,000 fine is fairly huge considering he has no previous fine this season. There is no way that a red card for a manager should result in a points deduction either :eek:
Would Bohs and Longford then be deducted points too ?

I do agree that in the context of the eL the fine is big, but whats 2k in the overall scheme of things for Shels?I think its fair to say that this incident wasnt 'out of the blue'. He has a track history of bringing the name of the league into disrepute. In answer to your question, no I dont think that a points deduction should be given for any manager being given a red card, but when it continually happens, and when the punishment is broken by the manager, a points deduction is a strong punishment that wont be taken lightly

Cant see how they are going to keep Ollie away from the ground either??They, as the organising body have ordered him to stay away, that should be enough, but it seems that Ollie has a dim view of punsihments that go his way, making a joke of the league and its officials

The fine seems bad enough for what he did considering the press release by Drogheda contained lies/errors.
I actually never got too involved in this story, but what you say seems to have some truth in it. Fact is though that he has been given this punishment and should take it like a man.

TheOwl
08/09/2005, 6:48 PM
I think that its got to the stage with Nutsy and Ollie that points deductions should come in to play.

I think for an issue like this you would have to give a suspended point deduction first (which might have been a good idea after the Drogs game).

Next time Ollie or Fenlon acts the maggot give us a six point deduction that's suspended on condition of good behaviour.

Something like that could put this issue to bed?

Troy.McClure
08/09/2005, 7:14 PM
Ya, basically something like that would be a good idea I recon.

TheOwl
08/09/2005, 7:15 PM
Ya, basically something like that would be a good idea I recon.

And they all lived happily ever after :D

Troy.McClure
08/09/2005, 7:19 PM
Except the Drogs PRO ;) :D

Éanna
08/09/2005, 8:25 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Ollie Byrne is being treated badly here. he deserves a punishment, a massive one in fact, but to go from warning someone about their conduct to hitting them with such a massive (by eL standards) fine is stupid IMO. There should be some sort of scale to this- what happens if he does something else- does he get an even bigger fine? Each incident should be treated separately to some extent- obviously you have to take previous behaviour into account, but the punishment should not be an accumulated one, which I think this is.

As for the ban- he certainly deserves that.

Roverstillidie
09/09/2005, 8:29 AM

have you been living in a cave for the last 6 months?
it made us oust an incompitent board, undergo an examinership process, settle in full our tax liabilities, sort the stadium situation, run the club professionally on a budget. and get 13 out of a possible 15 points since the takeover. and qualify for the cup quarter finals.

whereas oily assaults 2 officials of other clubs, attacks or tries to attack fans all over the country, rips opposition fans flags etc etc (and thats just this season) and the shels fans whine conspiracy.

we took our punishment and made sure the situation couldnt ever happen again. you see it as some form of badge of honour.

do we really have to let him into dalymount tonight?

manic da hoop
09/09/2005, 8:30 AM
[QUOTE=Éanna] There should be some sort of scale to this- what happens if he does something else- does he get an even bigger fine? [QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, but the fact is that Oily has had this coming to him and there seems to have been an attitude on his part that he could do what he likes and get away with it because the authorities didn't have the bottle to bring sanctions against him. The whole idea behind the severity of this fine is to MAKE SURE he never does anything like this again. At least now we all know he hasn't been warned!

higgins
09/09/2005, 8:51 AM
To the Rovers guy first,
You simply ran out of money is the reason why the big change in rovers came about. The points deduction alone didn't make people ask questions!! you knew exactly what was going on well before that.
Also the bit where you say you made sure a situation like that could never happen again ??? Bullsh!t.... There is nothing stopping the current lads who run rovers over spending and ending up in the same position again in a few years time.

On Ollie,,,

Take his punishment like a man ??
I take it you were not even at the game in question and didn't see anything of what happened? If you were accused of something in the wrong would you "take it like a man" :mad: If you did you would be taking it like a child not a man! Imagine yourself banned for a month from seeing your team and having to pay 2,000 after a proven liar (did he write press release the following day?) makes accusations against you. I'd fully back Ollie having seen the bits I did AT THE GAME, not in a forum.

What has happened here is wrong and at least Eanna has the good sense to see it. He did not get dealt with fairly over this issue.

To Fenlon,,,
The 4 game ban is as a result of his previous red cards! you want points deduction too :rolleyes: Again if you where at the game you would have seen what he did. He deserved a red card for acting like a 6 year old who dropped their lolly pop but there was nothing major that went on. He got a red card as do many managers in the league. The fact it wasn't his first made the ban increase to 4 games. A points deduction would open the floodgates to future incidents. The papers and the 'know it alls' who didn't even attend the game made a meal of it.

Roverstillidie
09/09/2005, 9:04 AM
not the point higgins. how many times did rovers get their paperwork wrong. once. huge changes followed.

how many times have oily/fenlon/collins been warned by the el/fai? dozens of times. what changes? f uck all, they do it again and again because its the culture the shelbourne fans allow at their club.

i have never come across fans as brainwashed as shelbourne's. they will defend oily et al regardless of what the bully boy thug does. so he keeps going on doing it.

he got involved physically with two officials of other clubs in less than 3 weeks. someone has to call a halt. imagine he did that in europe (shels might qualify again who knows)? what right has he got to tackle anyone on the pitch, regardless of whether they sould be on it or not, especially someone he knows to be on the board of the club that just beat you.

green-blood
09/09/2005, 9:24 AM
"you knew exactly what was going on well before that."

yes we did, but we didnt own the club, we did thell the licencing committe all about it but thanks to ressure from bullys liek Ollie the licencing commitgtee is pretty damned useless and ignored our submission.... bet ya Shels wouldn't like their tax affairs investigated!!!

EnDai
09/09/2005, 9:28 AM
I can't believe that poor behaviour that has already been punished is being compared to basically cheating to acheive survival, running up insane amounts of debt and leaving many creditors severely out of pocket, and hiring Shoddy Collins as manager! ;)

The punishment has been dealt, points deductions would be insane, and wrong. Fines and bans are the right punishments for this behaviour, perhaps the bans should be longer but thats not down to us to decide.

Perhaps if FIFA/UEFA start taking similar sorts of action against big name overseas managers in this manner, we could consider it, but handing out point deductions for red cards is nonsense and down to sheer hatred rather than the actions. When it happens again, they get banned again, simple as.