PDA

View Full Version : ITV going Free To Air

Macy
07/09/2005, 9:21 AM
ITV and all it's didital channels going Free To Air on Digital Satellite. Means that any Satellite receiver will get all the BBC Channels and all the ITV Channels. Great news, as more choice for consumers and reduces murdochs strangle hold on the digital satellite market.

If only RTE would follow suit, even if it meant encrypted movies, sports, some imports.

Anyway from digitalspy.co.uk

ITV to go FTA on Digital Satellite
Wednesday, September 7 2005, 08:41 BST -- by Alan Jay

ITV has announced this morning that it will work with the BBC to create a "FreeSat" proposition to compliment the "Freeview" DTT service in areas where DTT is not available.

As part of this move ITV will become unencrypted - "in the clear" - within the next few months. ITV has consulted all the relevant rights holders.

The free satellite will initially carry all ITV and BBC free to view digital services including digital TV, radio, EPG and interactive services. In addition all the other FTA channels will be available.

The plan is to have the project operational in the first half of 2006.

'As the UK's largest and most popular commercial broadcaster we want our channels to be available to as many people as possible, regardless of technological and geographical constraints. " said Charles Allen, Chief Executive of ITV. "As we move from an analogue to a digital environment, Freesat - and Freeview - will enable every family in the UK to enjoy a wide range of quality channels for free.

'Today's announcement significantly strengthens ITV's digital presence and we are delighted to be taking a leading role in the marketing and development of free digital television.'

pete
07/09/2005, 10:03 AM
How must shopuld it cost to get a freeview system installed & setup? Think parents quoted €400 or something...

Macy
07/09/2005, 10:15 AM
Well under €100 if you're willing to queue up at Lidl next time they're doing a special. :)

A free to air system with satellite.ie is about €300 installed. However, with a bit of time and research you can install it yourself easy enough (I did it myself anyway). I can definitely recommend them for purchase of equipment, haven't used their installation. Quick delivery and always helpful with queries.

It could've been for a system that had a Free To View card, which needs a sky dodgybox so might've been more.

pete
07/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Well under €100 if you're willing to queue up at Lidl next time they're doing a special. :)

Is this (http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050905.p.Aerial) the Lidl Special you taking about? Good value at €9.99 but do I have to attach to the roof/chimney?

Colm
07/09/2005, 10:31 AM
Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that if you have Sky Digital you'll be able to tune in the ITV channels the same as we did with all the BBC channels??

dahamsta
07/09/2005, 10:33 AM
No Colm, Sky is a separate thing altogether. This just means you'll be able to point any old FreeView dish at Astra to pick up ITV/BBC channels, no decoding required.

adam

Macy
07/09/2005, 10:46 AM
Excuse my ignorance but does this mean that if you have Sky Digital you'll be able to tune in the ITV channels the same as we did with all the BBC channels??
There's been no announcement on whether ITV will be joining the irish epg yet. If it doesn't (and I suspect it won't), it'll be the same deal as BBC3, 4, News24 etc - i.e. through other channels.

Being Free To Air means it's not encrypted, so can be viewed on any digital Satellite reciever, so you're not tied to a digibox - non sky boxes have much more functionality.

tiktok
07/09/2005, 11:10 AM
You can tune BBC 3 and 4 in on a Sky box though now that they're no longer encrypted.
Wil you be able to do the same with ITV?

noby
07/09/2005, 11:12 AM
Is this (http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20050905.p.Aerial) the Lidl Special you taking about? Good value at €9.99 but do I have to attach to the roof/chimney?

They're glorified rabbit ears. You want a dish and a sat. reciever. Lidl only had them a couple of weeks ago, but they pop up every couple of months.

thejollyrodger
07/09/2005, 11:30 AM
i have the old sky dish that points to the astra satellie.. before they went to digital.. can i change it about so i can get BBC and ITV ? Its full of Germans singing dodgy songs and eating sasuages.

any instructions you can give ?

Dodge
07/09/2005, 11:30 AM
What are the ITV channels? NTL gives you ITV1, ITV3 and ITV News... Any others (apart from ITV2)?

Macy
07/09/2005, 11:52 AM
What are the ITV channels? NTL gives you ITV1, ITV3 and ITV News... Any others (apart from ITV2)?
ITV 2 and Men and Motors (soon to be ITV4). There's also going to be a kids channel as well apparently.

Tbh it's more the principle of it - opens the door for Channel 4 and their channels in 2008, so there is to be true free TV in this neck of the woods and obviously far greater competition.

Macy
07/09/2005, 12:14 PM
i have the old sky dish that points to the astra satellie.. before they went to digital.. can i change it about so i can get BBC and ITV ? Its full of Germans singing dodgy songs and eating sasuages.

any instructions you can give ?
Wrong Astra - astra 2 is where the English FTA stuff is. The lnb might have to be replaced too.

Best place to look is the satellite forum on boards.ie, just do searches and read the stickies before posting and also watch out for making a mistake on the following - it will get you smart answers...
Free To Air = Broadcast in the clear, with no encryption
Free To View = Free, but encrypted (basically the cards that are available for ITV, Ch4 and Ch5)
Freeview = UK Digital Terrestrial TV, nothing to do with Satellite.

noby
07/09/2005, 12:48 PM
You could check analoguesat.co.uk to see what you could get, but not much I'd say.