PDA

View Full Version : Last time Rovers were on TV

Rovers1
06/09/2005, 6:12 PM
anyone remember the last time Rovers were live on TV? was it a league match against Derry back near 97-98 or so?

gustavo
06/09/2005, 6:20 PM
i have it on video , its us versus harps from the 98-99 season
we won 2 nil on the night that was back in the days of wesley charles ,marcus hallows, ross mc lynn ,damien kennedy, donagh oates ,steve birks
cant remember who scored for us i thnink it may have been birks and hutchy.
half time analyst was none other than don o riordan :eek:

garykelly
06/09/2005, 7:58 PM
yeah hutch scored the winner i think. ran down the left and smashed into into the corner. great goal.

Redie
06/09/2005, 10:08 PM
I'm depending on memory here. We won 2-0 and I think Hutchy got the first and Hallows the second. Yes the Don was doing half time analysis and I think Pat Dolan was in the commentry box and he signed Hallows at the end of the season. It was a foggy friday night and a small crowd, Nicky Reid was still manager and a few days previous Neil Ogden, Matt Hare and one or two others were 'Sacked' by the club. If one of the above is correct i'm happy.

gustavo
06/09/2005, 11:27 PM
oh yeah i remember that!
im pretty sure aled rowlands was another of them.
he was a great left winger.

skimcgee
07/09/2005, 7:40 AM
Thats right, Hare and Ogden were given the bullet for "allegedly" betting on Rovers games in which they themselves were playin!!
As far as i can remember Rowlands wasnt sacked.

Redie
07/09/2005, 12:23 PM
Whether he was sacked or not he should never have been allowed into the showgrounds. A cert for an all time worst 11 team. :

gustavo
07/09/2005, 3:32 PM
in the interests of research i got the video out this afternoon and the team was

gk boswell

rb mcLynn
lb lynch
cb charles
cb sheridan

lm hutchison
rm kennedy
cm birks
cm hoeks

cf hallows
cf flannery

so no ogden then :) and was mentioned in the commentary that he was released

deecay
07/09/2005, 3:36 PM
I was shown on TV before the game when it was showing thw crowd :D . I was only a kid at the time and thought it was the best ever.

showgies
07/09/2005, 3:57 PM
Thats is absolute S**T talking at the highest ! No way they were trust me on that ! They were not Sacked Neither and i think they played that night ! because i remember watching the game down town and waiting on it to finnish because i was going for a drink with Oggy !

Why were you watching the game in TOWN...........why weren't you in the Showgrounds ?

Rory H
08/09/2005, 10:31 AM
i remember shels beating us 3-1 in the most rain filled day ever

gustavo
08/09/2005, 12:07 PM
still tho he got the winning goal for us in the league cup final:)

superfrank
08/09/2005, 4:28 PM
I remember watching Sligo on the telly when I was up North one time. I think they were playing some
Dublin team. :confused: This would have been bout eight-nine years ago.

Mayo Red
08/09/2005, 6:07 PM
I have a video somewhere of Rovers playing Shels at the Showgrounds in 1998. As far as I can remember it was played on a ****y Saturday afternoon in early February, and again from memory I think the result was 1-1, can't remember who scored though. I don't remember the team either but I'm nearly sure our Dutch import, Peter Cubesson was playing. Weststrife provided the half-time entertainment aswell, if you could call it that! :)

gustavo
08/09/2005, 6:20 PM
ahh cubesson the memories , he was useless! this would have been in the glorious reign of jimmy mullen!

Soper
08/09/2005, 6:46 PM
ahh cubesson the memories , he was useless! this would have been in the glorious reign of jimmy mullen!
He(Cubbeson) used to get so much abuse from opposition fans though, it was shocking.Really harsh stuff!

gustavo
08/09/2005, 8:22 PM
i think it was him that went up for a header once and totally missed the ball that was great:)

gustavo
08/09/2005, 8:30 PM
actually just thinking about it , it was daniel moreno that totally missed the header! he really took the biscuit totally rubbish but then one game he scored a beauty of a 20 yard curler no one could believe it!

showgies
09/09/2005, 8:12 AM
actually just thinking about it , it was daniel moreno that totally missed the header! he really took the biscuit totally rubbish but then one game he scored a beauty of a 20 yard curler no one could believe it!

Yep ! That Moreno goal was class, he came from Arsenal if memory serves me well, as for Cobbersson, I think he plays with a Dutch team now...... Excelsior ....I think