PDA

View Full Version : First division

Pages : [1] 2

Dave drummerboy
06/09/2005, 12:40 PM
Who do people think is going to go up this year and who will get the play off's. These are the teams that can go up .

Sligo rovers
Dublin city
Cobh ramblers
Dundalk
Limerick

pineapple stu
06/09/2005, 12:45 PM
Sligo look good to go up at the moment. Wouldn't discount Kilkenny yet - only seven points adrift with 11 games to go and on a run of nine wins in ten. No team is really walking it though. Sligo need to win six of their next eight games just to match third-placed Bray's total from last season, and I don't see them doing that. As bad as Waterford and Harps are at the moment, I think they'll win the play-off against any opposition. I amn't going to guess as to who that will be because every club seems to not want second.

Colm
06/09/2005, 1:00 PM
Poll added

tiktok
06/09/2005, 1:03 PM
Sligo, as Kilkenny probably haven't enough games left :D

Colm
06/09/2005, 1:05 PM
btw, I've enabled it so as you click on the two teams you think will come up and then vote.

drinkfeckarse
06/09/2005, 1:10 PM
I think Sligo will win it and the Rams/Dublin for the play off spot although I think whoever gets the play off spot will have their work cut out in overcoming Premier Division opposition.

Dave drummerboy
06/09/2005, 1:20 PM
P W D L F A Pts
Sligo Rvrs 25 13 8 4 34 21 47
Dublin City 25 11 8 6 37 22 41
Cobh Rmbls 25 11 6 8 36 30 39
Dundalk FC 25 11 3 11 34 31 36
Limerick FC 25 10 6 9 32 32 36

I think its still pretty close i think sligo have got it , but city are not safe yet they lost last week and cobh play dundalk this weekend , which could be a make or break game .

garykelly
06/09/2005, 1:48 PM
Sligo need to win six of their next eight games just to match third-placed Bray's total from last season, and I don't see them doing that.

there are 11 games left. so still alot to play for. i'd say 8 wins to win the league . last year three teams were far better than anyone else and they all pulled away. it's alot tighter this year so you'd expect the points total to be lower. we are 6 points clear and the longer that gap stays intact the closer with get to going up with each game.

Roo69
06/09/2005, 1:56 PM
I went for Sligo and Dublin City, but i'd love to see Sligo and Limerick or Kilkenny come up. Can't see the 2nd team getting up through the play-offs though, Waterford or Harps will probably best the 2nd place team when it comes to it, although football is a funny old game so ya just never know.

Roo69
06/09/2005, 1:59 PM
there are 11 games left. so still alot to play for. i'd say 8 wins to win the league . last year three teams were far better than anyone else and they all pulled away. it's alot tighter this year so you'd expect the points total to be lower. we are 6 points clear and the longer that gap stays intact the closer with get to going up with each game.

Last season was probably the strongest the 1st division has ever been, Bray, UCD and Harps were all very strong, but we faded very badly near the end and Kildare almost caught us due to some horrific preformances. We were only promoted on the last day of the season, but in saying that, Kildare had to win by something like 13 or 14 goals to catch us and we had to loose heavily against Monaghan, we won 4-1 away from home.

garykelly
06/09/2005, 2:09 PM
Last season was probably the strongest the 1st division has ever been, Bray, UCD and Harps were all very strong, but we faded very badly near the end and Kildare almost caught us due to some horrific preformances. We were only promoted on the last day of the season, but in saying that, Kildare had to win by something like 13 or 14 goals to catch us and we had to loose heavily against Monaghan, we won 4-1 away from home.

i would agree that last season probably had 3 of the strongest teams the 1st division has ever seen. Finn Harps, UCD and Bray were too strong for anyone else in the division. Bray not going up would have been down to themselves and not kildare being stronger.

This year there isnt a group of strong teams in the divison and everyone is beating everyone. we are the best team in this division and after that there isnt much between the teams. It's a long way to the finish line so hopefully we can push it home and avoid a poor run of form. this isnt the time of season for having a bad run.

Schumi
06/09/2005, 2:11 PM
I think only Sligo will come up.

Lim till i die
06/09/2005, 2:16 PM
I think only Sligo will come up.

Firmly believe that the whoever comes second with the exception of maybe Cobh (no excellent match winning type players when the chips are down IMO) will go up through the playoffs this year. Harps are bordering on muck and I can't see Waaaaterford winning another game in the next couple of years :ball:

Speranza
06/09/2005, 2:21 PM
Sligo seem to have it and I'm glad to have them back in the premier. It pains me to say it but Harps drawing with the league leaders and taking it to the wire in the replay shows they are not "muck". Second place team don't have a hope in the play-off.

Lim till i die
06/09/2005, 2:27 PM
It pains me to say it but Harps drawing with the league leaders and taking it to the wire in the replay shows they are not "muck". Second place team don't have a hope in the play-off.

I said bordering on muck :p
Do most people on here actually think the second worst team in the Premier will be better than second best in the first :confused: Somebody call the standard police :eek:

Bravo
06/09/2005, 2:39 PM
Rovers look best placed to go up, had a blip but now we are firing on all cylinders, Outplayed Pats (score line flattered them) carried on the momentum against Monaghan last Saturday night, we’ve have opened up a 6pt gap, the leagues now ours to loose, Out of the rest I taught Kilkenny were the Best & could take 2nd spot. I wouldn’t fear Harps or Waterford anyway we’ve Beat Harps already in the LC.

blobbyblob
06/09/2005, 2:46 PM
Sligo and Kilkenny - No doubts.

2.7 points per game for kilkenny at the moment
4 wins in a row
9 wins out of 10

11 games left and 7 points off a play off - no bother

I've seen both Waterford United and Harps in action this year and its a sorry sight. Wouldnt fancy either of them against Sligo or Kilkenny on current form.

Its fate anyway that Waterford will be relagated the same year that Kilkenny go up and the usual exoduc of players from one to the other begins.

anto eile
06/09/2005, 2:50 PM
think and hope sligo go up
hope harps stay up
hope dublin farm fingal/everton cease to exist from next season
its very tight for the second place, if kilkenny keep their run going ( i doubt they can sustain it) they would make second place,seeing as everyone else is taking points off each other. wouldnt mind cobh getting promoted via play offs-good away trip.
if waterford are in the play off i think theyl lose, if harps get into the play off,i think theyl win

Red4Eva
06/09/2005, 2:55 PM
i'd say dundalk or kilkenny could defo beat waterford if they get 2nd. dublin city are crap it's just a matter of whether kilkenny have left it too late&will moving back to oriel make a real difference

EnDai
06/09/2005, 3:11 PM
Sligo.

Then either Dundalk or Kilkenny.

Bravo
06/09/2005, 3:17 PM
Poetic justice! Harps down Rovers Up, Waterford Down Kilkenny Up.

Schumi
06/09/2005, 3:18 PM
Do most people on here actually think the second worst team in the Premier will be better than second best in the first :confused:
Yes. Harps this year are still much better than anything that didn't go up out of the first last year. Even assuming that the second team would have improved, they won't be good enough.

pineapple stu
06/09/2005, 3:19 PM
there are 11 games left.
Yeah, I know that. I'm comparing this year to last year though - only 33 games last year. My point is that Sligo's form this year would have had them fourth of fith last year, with second place further adrift.

garykelly
06/09/2005, 3:23 PM
Yeah, I know that. I'm comparing this year to last year though - only 33 games last year. My point is that Sligo's form this year would have had them fourth of fith last year, with second place further adrift.

Yeah your spot on pineapple stu. Sorry I didnt notice comparison was based on 33 games. no doubt we'd be off the pace with the same points last year. i expected the promotion point total to be alot less than last season, and its panning out that way. every team seems to be winning then losing. Kilkenny have shown the best form in the last 10 and are surgin up the table. no other club around there can get a run together so should be interesting to see the final positions.

Schumi's statement on finn harps is totally right. While i wouldnt now see them as better than us, if harps come down they will win the first division next year. (of course am hoping that we wont be in this division next year) and if they get to the play-off game they should stay up (assuming it's not us that's playing them of course..hope not. want to win this league)

Conor H
06/09/2005, 3:30 PM
The biggest club in Connacht.....GALWAY UTD. ;)

Sheridan
06/09/2005, 3:36 PM
Sligo to romp home, second place is something of a lottery, but I reckon Kilkenny will edge it.

garykelly
06/09/2005, 3:50 PM

in the 2006 First Division ;) :D

joema
06/09/2005, 4:13 PM
We'll make second - on our day we can beat anyone and we have beaten every other team in the division at least once

Da Real Rover
06/09/2005, 4:21 PM
Any facts to back that up, not that i fell your opinion is biased or anything.
Us top with either kilkenny or cobh second, if kilkenny get second they'll be able to beat harps or waterford but cobh wont, although id like harps to stay up cause i miss the north west derby.

Conor H
06/09/2005, 5:49 PM
Btw Da real Rover we have won 3 cups so your signature"No Bull,Just facts"is slightly off,just in case you want to change it.Also get off your high horse about crowds,yere top with big crowds,fair play.We are 3rd last with less than adaquete crowds,not good.Thanks. :)

The Dynamo
06/09/2005, 10:07 PM
i hope Cobh get up

RedX
06/09/2005, 10:32 PM
Sligo look certain to come up at this stage and i have my fingers crossed for Ramblers to come up with them...

harry crumb
06/09/2005, 10:49 PM
Sligo are the certs.

Dublin City are probably the strongest of the rest and maybe Dundalk with their home ground restored.

If Cobh got up, surely their "stadium" would be miles away from a Premier liscense.

Terry
07/09/2005, 7:33 AM
If Cobh got up, surely their "stadium" would be miles away from a Premier liscense.

Its better than finn harps grounds !!

Da Real Rover
07/09/2005, 7:58 AM
Btw Da real Rover we have won 3 cups so your signature"No Bull,Just facts"is slightly off,just in case you want to change it.Also get off your high horse about crowds,yere top with big crowds,fair play.We are 3rd last with less than adaquete crowds,not good.Thanks. :)
I am on about actual cups like the cup not the fookin league cup, i didnt even count that for us, strange isnt how even last season when yee wer above us we wer still getting bigger crowds :confused: .

dapman1
07/09/2005, 9:43 AM
The game between Kildare and Kilkenny at the weekend should be pretty interesting, Kilkenny are on a huge roll and Kildare havent lost in seven. Somethings gotta give, this game could have a big nfluence on the runers up spot.

pete
07/09/2005, 10:25 AM
Kilkenny added as option.

I think Sligo & Kilkenny but wouldn't rule out Home Farm.

Kilkenny are in amazing run of form & winning games by several games. I'd definitely put a few qyid on them if could find a bookie giving odds.

pineapple stu
07/09/2005, 12:42 PM
One thing Killkenny have going for them is that if they get into the play-off, they'll have done so on the back of an amazing run of form, which may take them through. I think they're the only First Division team to win a promotion/relegation play-off, when they beat...Waterford! What odds a repeat?

superfrank
07/09/2005, 1:54 PM
I think it'll be Rovers and Kilkenny. City are wobbling and Kilkenny are the form team in the First.

Rovers1
07/09/2005, 5:32 PM
rather Cats to dub scum

Kerry Blue
07/09/2005, 5:43 PM
Nice to see no one is giving Limerick any hope. :( Then the way the team's been performing (as well as management), you can't blame them. It will be amazing if Sligo don't go up. They are definitely the best team in the division and should win it. I think second place will go right down to the last game of the season. Hopefully we'll go up but the way Kilkenny are going at the moment they could just shade it. Whoever does come second may have a better chance in the play-offs than many think.

Lim till i die
08/09/2005, 8:27 AM
Yes. Harps this year are still much better than anything that didn't go up out of the first last year. Even assuming that the second team would have improved, they won't be good enough.

Couldn't the argument be made that Harps are a worse team than this time last season :confused: From the (admitedly limited) times I've seen them this season their back four look like they couldn't defend a fort from Frenchmen. Also having seen quite a lot of them Waaaterford are a poor, poor, poor side.

Don't write off Dublin City yet either folks, a horrible hoofball side but easily the best organised team in the division ;)

Bluebeard
08/09/2005, 10:03 AM
If we absolutely had to go down by a play-off and I had to choose who beat us, I'd prefer that it was Sligo or Limerick to beat us, though I'd be surprised and disappointed if Sligo didn't win it outright.

The Stars
08/09/2005, 10:09 AM
If we absolutely had to go down by a play-off and I had to choose who beat us, I'd prefer that it was Sligo or Limerick to beat us, though I'd be surprised and disappointed if Sligo didn't win it outright.
We all would.

Conor H
08/09/2005, 3:59 PM
We all would.
Not all of us. ;) :D

The Stars
08/09/2005, 4:02 PM
Not all of us. ;) :D
would you not like for a first division team to beat the Premier league leaders?????If not,best of luck in this sh"t division for the next 10 years....

Conor H
08/09/2005, 4:06 PM
would you not like for a first division team to beat the Premier league leaders?????If not,best of luck in this sh"t division for the next 10 years....
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Take a Joke!! :rolleyes:

holidaysong
08/09/2005, 5:40 PM
Sligo Rovers and Dundalk.

We ran rings around Limerick in Oriel last weekend, brilliant performance. Hopefully we can keep it up. :)

Conor H
08/09/2005, 5:43 PM
Sligo Rovers and Dundalk.

We ran rings around Limerick in Oriel last weekend, brilliant performance. Hopefully we can keep it up. :)
Ye are just like us..to unpredictable,i don't think ye'll go up.

Terry
09/09/2005, 8:16 AM
went for sligo and dundalk myself.

Only Sligo can throw it away themselves at this point, while with Dundalk at long last playing again at home, they should start putting a better string of results together than they have all season.