Conmebol:
Argentina
Brazil

Concacaf:
USA
Mexico

Who could qualify on Wednesday:

UEFA:
A win by Portugal over Russia on Wednesday puts them in.

Concacaf: Mexico only needs a draw against bottom of the table Panama at home.

Not sure of any other countries who could also qualify this week.

CollegeTillIDie
06/09/2005, 7:32 AM
I saw somewhere that if a certain result occurs in I think Ukraine's Group on Wednesday and if England manage to beat Norn Iron that they will at worst qualify as best placed second place finisher in Europe

tetsujin1979
06/09/2005, 8:55 AM
Aren't Ukraine already through?
If England win 2 of their remaining 3 games, they are guaranteed a best runners up spot

liam88
08/09/2005, 9:21 AM
From the reaction to Turkey's goal in the kebab shop last night I think they are through...

joeSoap
08/09/2005, 12:05 PM
Brazil striker Adriano scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win over Chile on Sunday to guarantee the world champions a place at next year’s finals in Germany while Marcelo Zalayeta emulated him to give Uruguay a dramatic 3-2 win over Colombia.

Brazil’s win means they keep up their record as the only country to have played at every World Cup finals while Uruguay’s victory lifted them into the fifth-place play-off position in the 10-nation South American group. Uruguay’s win also helped Ecuador and Paraguay, third and fourth respectively. Ecuador need only a draw at home to Uruguay next month to qualify while a win in Venezuela will be enough for Paraguay to book their place with one game to spare.

After 16 rounds of the marathon contest, Argentina, who qualified last June and lost 1-0 to Paraguay on Saturday, lead with 31 points followed by Brazil on 30. Ecuador have 26 after their 2-1 win in Bolivia on Saturday and Paraguay are one point behind after their first win over Argentina in a World Cup qualifier. The top four teams qualify directly for Germany while the fifth spot, occupied by Uruguay on 21 points, earns a play-off over two legs against the Oceania region winners, almost certainly Australia.

Colombia and Chile, on 20 points, could still finish fifth and Venezuela, who have 18 points, also have an outside chance, although their final match is away to Brazil. Colombia host Chile in October and then visit Paraguay three days later. The Chileans, meanwhile, finish their programme at home to Ecuador.

Bemused Chile: Brazil, who became the first defending champions forced to qualify for the subsequent tournament under a new FIFA ruling, raced to a four-goal lead in less than half an hour against bemused opponents. Central defender Juan made the breakthrough after 11 minutes with a close-range header from a corner and Robinho added the second 11 minutes later as he finished off a sweeping move which went from one end of the field to the other.

Adriano then added two more goals in a three-minute spell, the first a low shot into the far corner from Robinho’s pass in the 27th minute and the second a header from a corner. The Inter Milan player completed his hat-trick in injury time. “The important thing was that we qualified,” said Adriano, who is still fighting for a regular place in the team. “I hope to continue like this and slowly but surely I’ll get there.”

His striking partner Ronaldo, who went off at halftime complaining of muscular discomfort, completed his sixth international without scoring. In stark contrast to the festive atmosphere in Brasilia, Colombia faced a rowdy, hostile 60,000 crowd at Centenario stadium in Montevideo, venue for the first World Cup final in 1930. Zalayeta headed Uruguay in front from Alvaro Recoba’s cross two minutes before halftime and put the Sky Blues in a commanding position when he fired the second past Miguel Calero six minutes into the second half.

But with 12 minutes to go and Uruguay apparently coasting, Colombia fought back. Elkin Soto reduced the arrears with a fulminating 25-metre shot from Angel’s neat layoff in the 79th minute. Two minutes later, Soto returned the compliment by bursting to the byline and providing the cross for the Aston Villa striker to head the equaliser. With the stadium silent and Uruguay coach Jorge Fossati disconsolate on the touchline, Uruguay found a winner with four minutes to go. Fabian Estoyanoff’s cross from the right eluded the Colombia defence and found Zalayeta lurking at the far post, leaving him with the easy job of tapping into the empty net.

TheOwl
08/09/2005, 12:07 PM
I think Poland are now guaranteed a spot no matter what their result against England.

superfrank
08/09/2005, 4:06 PM
Mexico are through. They beat Panama 5-0.

Green Tribe
08/09/2005, 4:21 PM
Mexico are through. They beat Panama 5-0.

:D Great, good bunch of fans and a good team to have in the world cup, looking forward to seeing them play in it.

holidaysong
08/09/2005, 7:32 PM
I think Poland are now guaranteed a spot no matter what their result against England.

One corner of the pub I was in last night had a load of Polish people watching Poland vs. Wales. They went mental when Northern Ireland scored!

superfrank
09/09/2005, 10:42 PM
I think in Group 6, Poland and England are both through, it's just about who finishes top.

Metrostars
10/09/2005, 3:08 AM
A draw in one of their last two games will see Costa Rica through.

Metrostars
10/09/2005, 3:14 AM
:D Great, good bunch of fans and a good team to have in the world cup, looking forward to seeing them play in it.

The problem with Mexican fans is that they're not good losers, at least whenever the US beats them. Mexico have cruised to the World Cup finals again but after their only loss in qualifying to the US last week, a lot of their fans were calling for coach Lavolpe's head. And he isnt a good loser either:

MEXICO CITY, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Mexico's coach Ricardo La Volpe described the United States as a little team which his grandmother could play for following his side's 2-0 defeat on Saturday, local media said.
"It's a little team," La Volpe was widely quoted as saying following the World Cup qualifier in Columbus, Ohio.
"Here, everyone's interested in baseball and American football and many people didn't even know that a soccer match was being played today.
"So it's easy for them, because they aren't playing under any pressure. My mother, my grandmother or my great grandmother could play in a team like that."
The U.S., who have 18 points from seven games in the final stage of the CONCACAF qualifying competition, booked their place at next year's World Cup with the win.
Mexico, unbeaten in their previous 14 qualifying matches and two points behind the U.S., still need one point from their final three games to qualify.
"They scored a goal and then they sat back," said Argentine La Volpe.

Dawn_Run
12/09/2005, 2:21 PM
The Aussies will have a tough play off against 5th place in the south american qualifying group. At the moment its Uruguay with 2 matches left to play.

superfrank
05/10/2005, 3:42 PM
Keep up to date on who has, and hasn't, made it at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4208308.stm.

Tipp Townie
06/10/2005, 12:57 PM
And dont forget there'll be a play off between the 4th place CONCACAF team and the 5th best Asisan team.

So next summer either Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Trinidad&Tobago or Guatemala will be gracing the World Cup for the first time..:eek:

sligoman
06/10/2005, 2:48 PM
So next summer either Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Trinidad&Tobago or Guatemala will be gracing the World Cup for the first time..:eek:Out of those 4, I'd say Trinindad will get in;)

holidaysong
06/10/2005, 9:48 PM
Is Dwight Yorke still playing for Trinidad & Tobago?

Snoop Drog
07/10/2005, 12:21 AM
Is Dwight Yorke still playing for Trinidad & Tobago?

yep, he left Australia (he plays in the A-League) last Sunday to go to T & T.

finlma
07/10/2005, 1:11 PM
There's a good break down of Africa and Asia in this article (http://www.football365.com/features/f365_features/story_165033.shtml). Looks like some of the big guns won't make and we'll see some unfamiliar teams like Ghana and Togo

http://www.football365.com/features/f365_features/story_165033.shtml

Bluebeard
07/10/2005, 5:01 PM
Out of those 4, I'd say Trinindad will get in;)
Dunno about that, I fancy the Uzbekis to come through, excellent futsal teams, it has to be coming from somewhere...

Metrostars
07/10/2005, 9:35 PM
yep, he left Australia (he plays in the A-League) last Sunday to go to T & T.

He played midfield against the US in August and was pretty poor.

I think the Guats have the advantage over T&T, a point ahead, both have to play Mexico in their last two games plus if they finish level on points they have amuch better GD plus they beat T&T 5-1 while T&T beat the Guats 3-2.

finn
08/10/2005, 4:16 PM
looks like Angola have qualified, due to them finishing with the same points as Nigeria, and having beaten them once and drawn with them.

currently, senegal are winning and Togo are down 2-1 so Senegal will win the group, but of course, this could always change

P

finn
08/10/2005, 4:17 PM
He played midfield against the US in August and was pretty poor.

I think the Guats have the advantage over T&T, a point ahead, both have to play Mexico in their last two games plus if they finish level on points they have amuch better GD plus they beat T&T 5-1 while T&T beat the Guats 3-2.

surely gd doesnt come into it, its the results between the two sides which matter

P

Metrostars
08/10/2005, 5:54 PM
surely gd doesnt come into it, its the results between the two sides which matter

P
which is why I posted the results between the two teams

Also Angola has just qualified for the first time.

Plastic Paddy
08/10/2005, 7:47 PM
Add the Ivory Coast, Ghana and Togo to that list. :D Which means no Cameroon, Nigeria or Senegal... :eek:

:ball: PP

Baker
08/10/2005, 9:39 PM
England, Poland and Holland.

Metrostars
09/10/2005, 1:25 AM
Croatia
Italy
Portugal

superfrank
09/10/2005, 11:50 AM
I'll redo the list after the Wdnesday games, unless Metrostar wants to beforehand?

Good to see more African countries in it. There'd only been 9 ever before this now there'll be 13.

Metrostars
09/10/2005, 3:19 PM
Looks like I might be wrong with my T&T/Guatamala prediction. The Guats got an early goal in Mexico but fell 5-2 in the end. But now T&T must play Mexico and Guatamala must play Costa Rica who qualified yesterday.

BTW 14 teams qualified yesterday. Here is the total list:
Qualified Teams (24):

Angola
Cote d'Ivoire
Togo
Ghana
Tunisia
Japan
Iran
Korea Republic
Saudi Arabia
Germany
Ukraine
Netherlands
Poland
England
Croatia
Italy
Portugal
USA
Mexico
Costa Rica
Argentina
Brazil
Ecuador
Paraguay

CollegeTillIDie
09/10/2005, 4:23 PM
Looks like I might be wrong with my T&T/Guatamala prediction. The Guats got an early goal in Mexico but fell 5-2 in the end. But now T&T must play Mexico and Guatamala must play Costa Rica who qualified yesterday.

BTW 14 teams qualified yesterday. Here is the total list:
Qualified Teams (24):

Angola
Cote d'Ivoire
Togo
Ghana
Tunisia
Japan
Iran
Korea Republic
Saudi Arabia
Germany
Ukraine
Netherlands
Poland
England
Croatia
Italy
Portugal
USA
Mexico
Costa Rica
Argentina
Brazil
Ecuador
Paraguay
8 More to go and in Europe some of them will have to wait till the play offs in November ;)

Metrostars
12/10/2005, 10:39 PM
France, Serbia and Montenegro and Sweden are in.

Metrostars
13/10/2005, 3:38 AM
Stern John scored two goals in T&T's win over Mexico, that puts them in the playoff with Bahrain. I fancy T&T making it to their first finals.

In conmebol, Uruguay finishes 5th so they will play Austrailia.
Full List:

Africa:
Angola (ANG)
Cote d'Ivoire (CIV)
Togo (TOG)
Ghana (GHA)
Tunisia (TUN)

Europe:
Germany (GER)
Ukraine (UKR)
Netherlands (NED)
Poland (POL)
England (ENG)
Croatia (CRO)
Italy (ITA)
Portugal (POR)
Sweden (SWE)
Serbia and Montenegro (SCG)
France (FRA)

Asia:
Japan (JPN)
Iran (IRN)
Korea Republic (KOR)
Saudi Arabia (KSA)

Concacaf:
USA (USA)
Mexico (MEX)
Costa Rica (CRC)

Conmebol:
Argentina (ARG)
Brazil (BRA)
Ecuador (ECU)
Paraguay (PAR)

Playoffs:
Bahrain V Trinidad & Tobago
Uruguay V Austrailia

3 from Czech Republic, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey and Norway

Kerry Blue
19/10/2005, 5:18 PM
I think the following will make up the 32:
Trinidad & Tobago
Uruguay
Czech Republic
Spain
Turkey

Thunderblaster
27/10/2005, 6:31 PM
We had the Reggae Boyz in 1998. Can we have the Calypso Boyz in 2006? Trinidad and Tobago will be the fun team of the World Cup if they beat Bahrain.

Metrostars
16/11/2005, 8:23 PM
The final list:

Africa:
Angola
Cote d'Ivoire
Togo
Ghana
Tunisia

Europe:
Germany
Ukraine
Netherlands
Poland
England
Croatia
Italy
Portugal
Sweden
Serbia and Montenegro
France
Switzerland
Spain
Czech Republic

Asia:
Japan
Iran
Korea Republic
Saudi Arabia

Concacaf:
USA
Mexico
Costa Rica
Trinidad & Tobago

Conmebol:
Argentina
Brazil
Ecuador
Paraguay

Oceania:
Austrailia

pineapple stu
17/11/2005, 12:46 PM
And seven debutantes! Possibly the most since the war (too lazy to check - there's a link here somewhere).

Angola
Togo
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Trinidad & Tobago
Ukraine
Czech Republic

Japan, Ecuador and Australia have only qualified once.

There's going to be some hammerings, but it'll be an interesting World Cup. Or as interesting as it could be for a neutral...

superfrank
08/12/2005, 10:46 AM
And seven debutantes! Possibly the most since the war (too lazy to check - there's a link here somewhere).

Angola
Togo
Ghana
Ivory Coast
Trinidad & Tobago
Ukraine
Czech Republic

Japan, Ecuador and Australia have only qualified once.

There's going to be some hammerings, but it'll be an interesting World Cup. Or as interesting as it could be for a neutral...

Probably. The first few were full of them.

Obviously in 1930, the first, all 13 teams were debutantes.