PDA

View Full Version : World Cup debutantes

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 7:13 PM
Always a fascination of mine, for some reason. There's never been a World Cup without at least one team making their debut, and there's usually more than that. Already have on for 2006 - Ukraine. Africa could almost provide only debutantes though! With one game left in the groups, Togo have to beat Congo to qualify, Ghana need only a draw against the Cape Verde Islands and Angola have a small chance of ousting Nigeria (currently level on points, but they're playing Rwanda while Nigeria play Zimbabwe). The backwards Irish flag - Ivory Coast - lost out in the final minutes to Cameroon after Drogba equalised twice and they now look like missing out, although they play Sudan while Cameroon have a tough tie against Egypt.

Guatemala are currently fourth in CONCACAF, level on points with Trinidad an Tobago; T&T won 3-2 during the week after two late goals from Stern John. The fourth-placed team will play either Uzbekistan or Bahrain (1-0 at the moment with the second leg to come), so another new team guaranteed there. Venezuela's chances of qualifying - the only South American team never to qualify (outside of Guyana et al, who are in CONCACAF) are slim at this stage. And the Solomon Islands are still in there - all they need to do is overturn a 7-0 deficit against Australia and beat Uruguay! :p

So two new nations guaranteed and another two at least likely. Looks like an interesting World Cup from that point of view anyway.

Sheridan
05/09/2005, 7:22 PM
Jim Riley keeps a meticulous eye on this very issue on the rec.sport.soccer newsgroup. (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.soccer/browse_frm/thread/9afb0290b4b2a921/812286a1651633bb?q=%22jim+riley%22&rnum=1&hl=en#812286a1651633bb)

Don't forget that Slovakia and the Czech Republic are also well-positioned to qualify.

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 8:12 PM
Cool! Never thought of the Czechs, seeing as they've both qualified together, but not separately.

onenilgameover
06/09/2005, 2:22 PM
Indeed!!!! Its what keeps international football great. Exciting for all countries....The more nubies the better.

Gerrit
10/09/2005, 9:29 AM
I hope in the CONCACAF the third spot (after untouchables USA and Mexico) goes to Trinidad & Tobago or Panama. Mainly T&T would be nice, the West Indies are sports mad but need a good soccer team if they want to see soccer competing with cricket...
Great fans as well there, remember Jamaica? ;) I was hoping for Canada to do well also, but guess I'd better forget about that...

Hopefully in Africa we see the possible debutantes qualify, I don't like Nigeria personally so hopefully they get surprised just before the finish...

superfrank
10/09/2005, 12:31 PM
AFAIK, Togo still have a decent chance of qualifying and the Ivory Coast too.

CollegeTillIDie
10/09/2005, 8:01 PM
I hope in the CONCACAF the third spot (after untouchables USA and Mexico) goes to Trinidad & Tobago or Panama. Mainly T&T would be nice, the West Indies are sports mad but need a good soccer team if they want to see soccer competing with cricket...
Great fans as well there, remember Jamaica? ;) I was hoping for Canada to do well also, but guess I'd better forget about that...

Hopefully in Africa we see the possible debutantes qualify, I don't like Nigeria personally so hopefully they get surprised just before the finish...

My best friend in primary school when I lived in Canada came from T & T being born in Port of Spain, so they get my vote on that basis alone. :D