PDA

View Full Version : Lansdowne crowd

Neil
17/04/2002, 10:29 PM
The $eltic 'followers' in the crowd at Lansdowne tonight were at it again with the constant booing of Claudio Reyna. The reason being he once played for Rangers.

Would they ever **** off to Glasgow...

Éanna
18/04/2002, 12:18 PM
Agreed, I was watching the match with a crowd of English guys over here- actually, mainly watched the england game- and the state of the pitch was embarassing but I was sick having to explain to them why an american player was being booed. The FAI should kick every last one of those people out of landsdowne road.

MikeW
18/04/2002, 12:53 PM
I think if we want to stop it, McCarthy and some of the senior players should come out with a strong statement against this nonsense. It should be made clear that the manager and the players don't welcome it and don't want anybody who does it to come to Ireland games. One of the saddest things is that it shows the rest of the world how seriously a lot of "Irish" people take Scottish football. Its pitifully embarassing when you think about it.

One other thing - I'm sick of celtic supporters claiming they're an Irish team because they were founded by a monk or a priest or Saint Patrick or Terry Wogan or that gay bloke who won big brother or whoever the hell. Who cares? That was what? - 120 years ago. Oh but I forgot that Dermot Desmond owns a large share of the club, he's Irish isn't he. Ordinary Irish people can really relate to that - him being a multi-millionaire and all and living in the Caribbean.

Éanna
18/04/2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
One other thing - I'm sick of celtic supporters claiming they're an Irish team because they were founded by a monk or a priest or Saint Patrick or Terry Wogan or that gay bloke who won big brother or whoever the hell. Who cares? That was what? - 120 years ago. Oh but I forgot that Dermot Desmond owns a large share of the club, he's Irish isn't he. Ordinary Irish people can really relate to that - him being a multi-millionaire and all and living in the Caribbean.
LOL! :D nice one.

pete
18/04/2002, 3:41 PM
I was watching at home & was cringing everytime I heard it.

I think it probably was worse at the Dernmark game but also seems to come across louder on tv.

I agree. Stewards should kick the bigots out.

And to think $eltic fans always trying to claim Rangers are the bigots :rolleyes:

The worst thing is the guy doesn't even play for Rangers anymore.

:( :(

joe
18/04/2002, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by MikeW
I think if we want to stop it, McCarthy and some of the senior players should come out with a strong statement against this nonsense. It should be made clear that the manager and the players don't welcome it and don't want anybody who does it to come to Ireland games. One of the saddest things is that it shows the rest of the world how seriously a lot of "Irish" people take Scottish football. Its pitifully embarassing when you think about it.

I think it's also time that the media put more of a spotlight on it, though in fairness to RTÉ's commentators they have been fairly critical of it in the last two games.

Schumi
18/04/2002, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by joe

in fairness to RTÉ's commentators they have been fairly critical of it in the last two games.

The commentaters on the radio didn't mention it at all in the second half (all I got to listen to).

joe
18/04/2002, 7:49 PM
on de telly Daragh Maloney made reference to it against the US and I think it was George Hamilton who highlighted it against the Danes.

(poor students - can't even afford televisions these days ;) :p )

Schumi
19/04/2002, 1:56 PM
Originally posted by joe
poor students - can't even afford televisions these days ;)

I've missed the last two Ireland games because of studying for my fúcking finals:mad: 5 more weeks to go too.:(

City Fan
23/04/2002, 9:40 AM
Totally agree with ya, Neil. This kind of racist/sectarian abuse has no place in a football stadium. Now I am a Celtic fan and I DO harbour a strong dislike of the Huns, but, you won't catch me booing any current or former Rangers players anytime soon.

Rangers the bigots? Grow the f**k up, lads!!!

Éanna
23/04/2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by City Fan
Rangers the bigots? Grow the f**k up, lads!!!
Exactly. Like I've said before. Most Irish people "support" Celtic cos their bigotry is fits easier with ours than the Rangers version.

Neil
23/04/2002, 5:46 PM
Dangerhere.com piece (http://www.dangerhere.com/issues/issue47-230402/futurerobbie.htm)....

Éanna
24/04/2002, 12:32 PM
Class, but they didn't have to bring the Wolfe Tones into it:(

SÓC
24/04/2002, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Class, but they didn't have to bring the Wolfe Tones into it:(

Because alot of misguided people thing being an Irish Republician invloves buying a Scottish team jersey and listening to old men singing (badly)encouraging them to do so.

Éanna
25/04/2002, 9:30 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
old men singing (badly)

watch it! :D

Shelsman
25/04/2002, 1:05 PM
The Cork City sheddies are no better -chanting IRA slogans as part of their 'Fields of Athenry'

Or have they stopped that now?

Éanna
25/04/2002, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
The Cork City sheddies are no better -chanting IRA slogans as part of their 'Fields of Athenry'

I have 2 comments to that:
1. At least we have fans(who sing)
2. There's a difference between a legitimate expression of support for a political ideal, and sectarian or racist abuse.

Éanna
25/04/2002, 1:29 PM
p.s. It's "The Fields of Bishopstown"

kilbrin
25/04/2002, 2:22 PM
There's a difference between a legitimate expression of support for a political ideal, and sectarian or racist abuse.

Since when was supporting a political ideal shouting the initials of a terrorist organisation at a football match.

There's a time and a place for that sort of thing and it's not standing in the shed watching Cork City play.

Shelsman
25/04/2002, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by kilbrin

Since when was supporting a political ideal shouting the initials of a terrorist organisation at a football match.

There's a time and a place for that sort of thing and it's not standing in the shed watching Cork City play.

Well said.

SÓC
25/04/2002, 6:28 PM
Far too many people have been shouting IRA/Sinn Féin but its seems to have been exchanged for City in between the verses now. At the u-19 match IRA/Sinn Féin was only to be heard from a few, the majority accepted "City" as the replacement.

Éanna
26/04/2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by kilbrin

I didn't say it was the time and place for it, it's not, but IMO it's not as bad as sectarian/racist abuse.

Shelsman
26/04/2002, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by Éanna

I didn't say it was the time and place for it, it's not, but IMO it's not as bad as sectarian/racist abuse.

Yes and manslaughter isn't as bad as murder either! Don't you think chanting IRA is an insult to all the families who have suffered at the hands of these scumbags ? Are you not condoning or even approving of their actions by singing / chanting about them?

Jaime
29/04/2002, 6:08 PM
>>Don't you think chanting IRA is an insult to all the families who have suffered at the hands of these scumbags
---------------------------------------
No. And I doubt many IRA victims' families are the eL going type. Anyway, its a bit of an over reaction. Not to the booing; I agree its pathetic, but for all the Celtic shirt wearing fools who think that wearing a celtic shirt makes you a atrue Republican, there are some decent active republicans who do follow Celtic as well as Irish clubs.
PS Christ your'e not anyting like another Shelsman I know.

SÓC
29/04/2002, 6:15 PM
You have to remember that eL matches get braodcast live on radio and television from time to time. It doesn't help the leagues already poor image when people try to associate themselves with murderous groups who claim to be freedom fighters.

If some one starting complaining about "*******", like we got in Turners Cross, and there was no black people around to hear it would it be ok?Just because no one hears abuse doesn't make it alright.

Shelsman
30/04/2002, 1:02 PM
Some Celtic 'fans' were banned a few years ago when they chanted 'IRA' during a minutes silence before a game. I think some clubs are so desperate for income here they are afraid to kick any of this sort out of eL grounds. And what about some of the Bohs and Rovers fans who have caused crowd trouble in the last season or two?

Éanna
30/04/2002, 1:12 PM
Don't you think chanting IRA is an insult to all the families who have suffered at the hands of these scumbags ?
Yes, if thats how you see the IRA. By the same token, I regard the playing of "God Save the Queen" at landsdowne for rugby matches as an insult to many people in this country.

Are you not condoning or even approving of their actions by singing / chanting about them?
I'm not condoning ANYTHING. I'm pointing out that many people see what the IRA does as a legitimate military campaign against an army of occupation, and therefore feel they are entitled to show support for them.

I don't see the IRA as a legitimate force, however I do regard the British army as an occupational force in my country and I frankly couldn't give a toss how many of them get shot at until they pack up and go home- thats a war between 2 armies.
What I DO disagree with is the targetting of civilians because of religion or political affiliation- that's murder.

I know I'm probably going to get howls of criticism for saying that, but thats where I stand. Racism and sectarianism have to be stamped out- by sectarianism, I include much of the IRA's activities.