View Full Version : Katrina Photos

dahamsta
05/09/2005, 5:14 PM
Good photo series from Cryptome.

http://pheeds.org/njoful

adam

Troy.McClure
05/09/2005, 7:15 PM
Without wanting to sound too nieve, but why are there no white people in any of the photos/tv clips? Are black people that poor that they couldnt get out?

Poor Student
05/09/2005, 7:51 PM
Without wanting to sound too nieve, but why are there no white people in any of the photos/tv clips? Are black people that poor that they couldnt get out?

That and I think you'll find the percentage of black people in the city is a good bit higher than the white.

Dan K
05/09/2005, 8:23 PM

According to the BBC the over day (may have been Sky though, I'm not too sure) the average black person's wage in Louisiana was 50% that of the average white person.

If I can find anything to back that up, I'll post it up.

dahamsta
06/09/2005, 4:14 AM
Without wanting to sound too nieve, but why are there no white people in any of the photos/tv clips? Are black people that poor that they couldnt get out?http://pheeds.org/vsqgjc

sligoman
06/09/2005, 9:14 AM
http://pheeds.org/vsqgjcNot working, for me :o :confused:

dcfcsteve
06/09/2005, 10:29 AM

There were a couple of photos of white people in there Troy - the 2 'dudes' at Denver airport, the 2 brothers looking at the reck of their mother's house etc. But you're right - the vast majority of those worst affected appear to be black.

There's probably 2 reasons for that. Firstly, the population of New Orleans is 67% black. Secondly - a large number of those who could afford to leave the city did so in-advance of the hurricane. As with elsewhere in the US, black people are disproportionately represented at the bottom of the social ladder in New Orleans, so large numbers of them simply couldn't afford to leave, had no physical means of doing so, or had nowhere else to go.

Bush had to wheel-out Condoleeza Rice to make a public statement that any delay in aid/help etc was not for 'rascist' reasons. But I can't help feel that if that had been Florida, it would've got sorted quicker.

Terry
06/09/2005, 11:00 AM

Its nicknamed the welfare state so I guess there is more poor than rich living down there

dahamsta
06/09/2005, 12:21 PM
Not working, for me :o :confused:http://cryptome.org/kat05/katrina-05.htm

Green Tribe
06/09/2005, 10:17 PM
Not working, for me :o :confused:

:eek: :D

dahamsta
06/09/2005, 10:34 PM
Out of curiousity, is it not working for anyone else? That's a new domain name but it should be resolving ok now.

adam

Fair_play_boy
07/09/2005, 12:28 AM
Out of curiousity, is it not working for anyone else? That's a new domain name but it should be resolving ok now.

adamAbout 30% of the photos load for me.

Troy.McClure
07/09/2005, 2:49 PM
They all work for me on my mac, Adam

There's probably 2 reasons for that. Firstly, the population of New Orleans is 67% black. Secondly - a large number of those who could afford to leave the city did so in-advance of the hurricane. As with elsewhere in the US, black people are disproportionately represented at the bottom of the social ladder in New Orleans, so large numbers of them simply couldn't afford to leave, had no physical means of doing so, or had nowhere else to go.

Bush had to wheel-out Condoleeza Rice to make a public statement that any delay in aid/help etc was not for 'rascist' reasons. But I can't help feel that if that had been Florida, it would've got sorted quicker.

What was the government effort to evacuate people before the storm? I think Im right in saying that they knkkow it was a cat 5 huricane and that the flood barriers were only able to protect against cat 3. Surely the obvious thing would be to bus everyone out? Was this done/attempted?

drinkfeckarse
07/09/2005, 2:58 PM
Worked grand for me