PDA

View Full Version : Connor only in it for himself

Donegalred
05/09/2005, 1:39 PM

sligoman
05/09/2005, 2:58 PM
Dont know much about Rovers youth teams. But what I do know is, we're top of the league and still in the FAI cup and it's Sean Connor that has got us here, so I'm happy with him :)

Redtop
05/09/2005, 3:33 PM
i agree with what you say about dessie cawley bowing down because basically he is a yes man and mickey wasnt, i had mickey as a manager last year with summerhill and hes a quality coach 50 times better than dessie cawley so i dont no why sean sacked him.. also i heard sean is being a ***** to the younger players at that club that is why john bellew and oisin left there now playing with st johns along with dessie not having a clue!!

Da Real Rover
05/09/2005, 4:34 PM
To be honest i dont know sean conner or dessie cawley but i remember havin mickey coaching us for a season, he is a brilliant coach and if conner did remove him then Rovers has lost one of its most loyal and knowledgeable club servants. He is Rovers through and through and i feel its a massive loss, is it for certain that Mickeys gone.

The Stars
05/09/2005, 4:38 PM
i agree with what you say about dessie cawley bowing down because basically he is a yes man and mickey wasnt, i had mickey as a manager last year with summerhill and hes a quality coach 50 times better than dessie cawley so i dont no why sean sacked him.. also i heard sean is being a ***** to the younger players at that club that is why john bellew and oisin left there now playing with st johns along with dessie not having a clue!!
I would agree 100% with you on this one.I played under Mickey for both rovers youths and for summerhill and he is certainly not a yes man.Mickie knows what he is about and knows every player in the region inside out. He is one of the best youth managers in the country(guided summerhill to 2 all ireland finals and won quite a few Connaught titles with both Summerhill and Rovers).Every player has total respect for him and he doesny take any sh!t from any player,no matter how good they are.

Redzer
06/09/2005, 10:10 AM
The rovers U-21's were in action at the weekend. They were in the mcguill cup semi final against bray wanderers. Quite a prestigous tournament that Sligo leitrim under 21 's reached last year. Instead of sending some of the Stronger squad players Sean Connor told them not go. They were already without Gary Curran who was suspended. They were also without John Bellew and Oisin Mannion who seemingly left the club. This was a chance for the young lads to bring home some national silverware but obviously this is not important. He could have decided to let some of the seniors go. ( You are allowed a maximum of four overage players.) This is absolute nonsense and as I said a complete disregard for the players.
He is also very reluctant to use some of the younger lads in the senior squad. We heard him at the start of last year saying how he was delighted with the young talent in the club and heaping praise on young lads in dressing rooms after games i.e gary Curran, seanie Kelly, Emyln Mulligan. Yet he has just forgotten them and brought in new players that are draining clubs wages. ian rossiter, tim mccann weren't needed at all. I think he just brought rossi back in spite of Mickey feeney who got rid of him when he was in charge.
I remember the time Steve Cottrill was in charge, we were about 3rd in the league with 6 or 7 games to go. We had a real chance of winning the league. At that time Willie McStay offered players on loan from Celtic to us, in order to win the league. Steve refused the offer, saying that if the players already with us were not good enough to win, then we didn't deserve it, and he was not going to bring in mercenarys to win it for us.
That IMO was the bravest thing I had ever heard from a manager.
It's the same today, if the players were not good enough to win the cup match, then it would be wrong to drop 4 or 5 of them, and bring in 1st team players.
How would the players who were dropped feel? Would that decision if it were made improve the team?
Young players, if they are good enough will get a chance to progress to the 1st team. But, they must bide their time, and see every game they play as a step nearer that achivement. The majority of them will not make it. Thats the reality.
For me, if the U21 team won that cup, it would of coarse be nice. But, thats all. Seans priority is the senior squad, and getting us out of this division.
I want us to win the First Division this season, nothing else is important to me. That includes the FAI cup and any other distraction, including underage competions.
So, if that happens, I will be delighted to let Sean get whatever glory comes his way. He will deserve everything he gets.

gustavo
06/09/2005, 1:51 PM
fair enough but werent the likes of rouse , gallagher and alvarez playing u21 football already this season?

Red4Eva
06/09/2005, 2:45 PM
sounds pretty sh*ty bout mickey getting sacked but i don't think the way sean is keepin da young players away from the 1st team is with bad motivation. i think he genuinely wants them to spend time at u21 till they have enuff experience rather than throwing them in at the deep end.
i know all the senior players have nothin but respect&confidence in sean but wouldn't be able to comment on underage side of things

Rovers1
06/09/2005, 5:58 PM
in the weekender gerry and sean were both talking about 'pastures new' and new clubs... scary stuff!

showgies
07/09/2005, 10:18 AM
in the weekender gerry and sean were both talking about 'pastures new' and new clubs... scary stuff!

Yeah it was a strange interview with Gerry, I am not sure we should be talking about managers moving on to "bigger" things. There is a job to do at the Showgrounds first, and we haven't been promoted yet. All a bit premature and annoying.

Makes you think :mad:

Paraic
07/09/2005, 11:23 AM
There's a lot of rumour and speculation in this thread based on half truths and innuendo and Sean has asked me to put a note up to say that he will be on-line in the next couple of weeks (as soon as I can arrange it) to put the record straight.

My own view, for what it's worth, is that Sean has never hidden his ambitions. He knows that if he wants to carve out a career at a higher level in football that he needs to prove himself with Rovers. And it's Sligo Rovers fans who will benefit from that success. I don't see a problem with that. Most managers last only a couple of seasons on average in any case, and if Sean can deliver promotion and secure our Premier Divsion status, I don't think too many people will be complaining.

showgies
07/09/2005, 12:37 PM
I don't have a problem with anyone getting on and moving on to bigger things, that's life, but talking about it before achieving anything leads to annoyance. Although, it should be said that the interview was with Gerry Carr not Sean.

Rovers1
07/09/2005, 5:21 PM
and if Sean can deliver promotion and secure our Premier Divsion status, I don't think too many people will be complaining.

here,here trophys are trophys

superfrank
07/09/2005, 7:11 PM
I find it strange that the First Team manager was picking the team for the u-21s. I've never heard of that happening at any other club!

Bravo
08/09/2005, 6:08 AM
This proves the point about Dessie cawley not been up to it

Redtop
08/09/2005, 4:38 PM
This proves the point about Dessie cawley not been up to it
well said, the sooner sean cops this the better..

1 9 2 8
08/09/2005, 6:35 PM
When Seán gets us back in the Premier League will ye still be moaning?

Click on the link below

http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/3325/churchsignsc22pz.jpg

Fabrizio
12/09/2005, 4:54 PM
0ne thing sean connor should sign back andrew neary the left back from mayo i hear that he had an unreal season with up in mayo and gavin dykes is trying to get him to sign constantly rovers need cover in that position plus low is very erratic?? what do ye think

The Stars
12/09/2005, 5:39 PM
disagree.Low is as solid as a rock and neary isnt up to the standard at all.

Redtop
12/09/2005, 7:10 PM
he might be alrite playing 4 castlebar or whoever hes with but you have to think about it we'll be in the premier next year so i doubt he'll be up to that standard when he wasnt able 4 the 1st division.. also low is quality :D :D

Petmuller
12/09/2005, 8:31 PM
he might be alrite playing 4 castlebar or whoever hes with but you have to think about it we'll be in the premier next year so i doubt he'll be up to that standard when he wasnt able 4 the 1st division.. also low is quality :D :D

Low is not signing for next season, that's deffo!!

gustavo
12/09/2005, 9:49 PM
why is he not signing petmuller?

Petmuller
12/09/2005, 10:16 PM
He hasn't fully settled here, plus the fact his partner and daughter are living in California.

gustavo
13/09/2005, 8:45 AM
thats a real pity he is pure quality. anyone think tim mccann is much good i havent really seen much of him?

Bravo
13/09/2005, 2:33 PM
I heard he may not be returning this season, anyone else hear this? I would agree that some times he is erratic (on-Form one of our best). I would put it down to him been unsettled off the field. Can’t be easy on him….

Redtop
13/09/2005, 5:22 PM
pity, i taught he was 1 of the best players this season apart 4m the bad spell he had 4 a couple of games.. it will be very hard to find a replacment that will be as good as kup :( :(

Redtop
13/09/2005, 7:21 PM
anyone think tim mccann is much good i havent really seen much of him?
hes decent enough of what i seen of him so hopefully he can do a job 4 us next season :) :)

d rovers
14/09/2005, 1:32 PM
i thought low was only going to miss the home game vs monaghan. i did hear from an unreliable source that the club weren't sure if he was going to return this season, & he def wouldn't be back next season. hopefully he'll be there on sat night, he is needed. if he does leave i don't think tim mccann can do a job defensively. he struggles at times in the first division, so i'd imagine he'd be out of his depth in the premier league.

Fabrizio
16/09/2005, 2:15 PM
yes neary is quality how can you say hes not up to it he was never given a proper chance, hes pure quality if hes given a consistent run in the team

Red4Eva
16/09/2005, 4:59 PM
yes neary is quality how can you say hes not up to it he was never given a proper chance, hes pure quality if hes given a consistent run in the team

neary was decent but i don't think he's near the standard we should be aiming for next yr&as far as i know he's quite fond of his drinking

Redtop
16/09/2005, 5:26 PM
If he was that good he would have been playin :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fabrizio
17/09/2005, 12:31 AM
I think thats some statement to make about Neary being fond of his drink - bordering on slander?

He enjoys nights out like any student his age! Sure wasnt it 75% of the rovers team that were on a all weekend binge a few weeks back! ? and obviously u dont go to toffs on a saturday night? I dont begrudge them a drink after working all week and then playing a game - but dont talk badly of anyone that plays past or present for rovers with **** like that!

Rovers Abu!