PDA

View Full Version : Official attendance

Éanna
18/06/2001, 7:27 PM
Yesterdays official attendance was just under 3,000 according to the echo. What are City trying to pull?! That only seeks to make the league look bad, for the sake of saving a few measly quid in tax. Pathetic!

rebel yell
18/06/2001, 11:28 PM
Hear, hear Anna! I remember Cork City V bank Rovers in the cup
in 1985. They bought six hundred fans as this was the furthest they'd got ever. And the official attendance was 400. Surreal!

soccerhead
18/06/2001, 11:36 PM
Come on rebel yell, how can you find positives out of that statistic? That is a shame! How much were the tickets? How much does turners cross hold? surely more than that! He is right it does make the LOI look bad, although im not saying that the LOI is in a good 1 either!

The game is appealing to everyone, Neutrals and LOI supporters all should of attended! Where was everyone! Out boozin on a Saturday Night! Fair Play to all the People who attended!

rebel yell
18/06/2001, 11:57 PM
Soccerhead, What positives are u attributing to me? I didn't and don't approve of such fiddling. I think u missed the point. I approved of Anna's assertion. I also gave an example which shows it's nothing new. For the record I was at the game as I said and my guesstimate of attendance was 1,400. If u care to
reread my earlier submission, u won't find any condoning. It wasn't a capacity or ticket price problem as u seem to infer but
what is sometimes called creative accounting- again at the risk of being boring not something which I approve of.

soccerhead
19/06/2001, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by rebel yell
Soccerhead, What positives are u attributing to me? I didn't and don't approve of such fiddling. I think u missed the point. I approved of Anna's assertion. I also gave an example which shows it's nothing new. For the record I was at the game as I said and my guesstimate of attendance was 1,400. If u care to
reread my earlier submission, u won't find any condoning. It wasn't a capacity or ticket price problem as u seem to infer but
what is sometimes called creative accounting- again at the risk of being boring not something which I approve of.

I understand your point of view now, however as you said i seemed to infer that it was price problem, i was asking a very valid question! I wasnt purposly meaning to involve you as much in my piece as you suggest my whole pointin the end is that it was a dreadful turn out and questions need to be answered by the fans

Éanna
19/06/2001, 2:26 AM
I'm hugely confused Ted

Looks like Dougal was right all along.

pete
19/06/2001, 11:39 AM
3,000? 1,400? where are these figures coming from?

stand capacity is 1800 & looked approx 3/4 full so lets say 1400
Derrynane end hold around 1200 & aslo about 3/4 full so 850 + the few at the st annes end brings up to 1000
Shed must have had 1000 at least in there...

1400 + 1000 + 1000 = 3400.

Must have been 3,500 @ the game.

rebel yell
19/06/2001, 5:34 PM
rebel u too missed the point. 1400 was my estimate for the Bank Rovers V Cork city game at Flower Lodge in 1985. bank Rovers had sold 600 tickets in advance to their fans. There were at least
800 city fans there but the official attendance was 400. There was
a complaint later from Bank Rovers, but nothing ever came of it.
I agree with soccerhead that there should be more than 3000
at the game but Cork need to invest an improve facilities and
build a supporter base- and not take a short-term view in
'fiddling' crowd- figures, which is my and Anna's point as I understand it.

pete
19/06/2001, 5:48 PM
I now take your point! ;)

BTW on a related topic i think City & many other clubs are wasting probably a one time offer with regards govt grants & need to get development proposals in shape. If City come up with 30% of any funds for new development they almost certain to get govt grants for the rest these days!

EddieL
21/06/2001, 12:51 AM
To take this debate in a different direction,I have to say that with you being the only Cork club in the Premier Division and therefore with a large catchment area,I cannot understand how your attendances at Turner's Cross rarely exceed 1,000 for a LOI game,that is a very poor turn-out and is a pity in light of the fact that you have one of the best grounds in the country.Pats home attendances regularly average 2,200 even though we're in a transition period and,indeed,we seem to boost attendances at other clubs' grounds when we visit! I'm just saying that I still remember the now defunct Cork Hibernians and their lovely Flower Lodge ground,which was nearly always packed whenever I went down.There is no reason why you can't have regular crowds of 3-4,000 at the Cross.

Jim Smith
21/06/2001, 9:40 AM
I'll put my head on the block here and say the disappointing attendances are due to the fickle nature of people in general.

If City were winning week in week out you'd have 3-4k at a match - which still isn't great considering the catchment area. Now all of these people would tell you that they have always supported City and have been at nearly every game in the last ten years.

If City are having a rough patch the numbers quickly fall to about 1500 - the hard core who might even pay to watch Noel Hartigan put in astonishing performances week in week out :rolleyes:

I made this point to a native of Cork and, surprise surprise, I nearly got my head bitten off. His counter theory was that the people of Cork were too busy playing all kinds of sport to go and watch Ciy play :eek:

The sad truth is that the marketing machine that is Sky Sports / the Premiership is much better at capturing the hearts and minds of the people. In this they are aided and abetted by a media who peddle the strange notion that most of the teams in the premiership are somehow Irish or as near to Irish as makes no difference. Untill clubs like Cork City can convince people that they have a product worth watching (don't bother with the FAI, they probably don't think there is a problem) then I fear we are doomed to stagger along.

Still, another domestic season will soon be along and things will get better....

Pablo
21/06/2001, 6:02 PM
Was it that long ago when regular 6-10000 crowds were in the Cross?
about 2 years ago i'd say......Cork people are fickle to say the least. BTW the official attendance on Onefootball was 4000 for sat nite.

rebel yell
21/06/2001, 6:39 PM
We might be fickle at times, but that goes for everbody else. Cork
have a hardcore support but they have been let down by succesive years of mismanagement. Also we are a relatively new club and have been nomadic in terms of grounds which doesn't help the supporter base. Like others we are hit by the fact that
junior soccer which is huge is on at the same time. Now for the others. Bohs- I've been to Bohs V Cork when the Bohs attendance
was less than 2000 and they have often struggled for until- surprise, surprise last season. If Pats don't win anything this year
their crowds will speak for themselves I fear. Ireland V Denmark
under Eoin Hand when a Danish travel agency offered a refund
if they won by 3 goals, there were 8000 Danish fans from attendance of 14,500- the boys in greenhouses more like. Rangers before Walter Smith 6018 v Motherwell, and Chelsea V
Southhampton , midweek before cup-final 7000 odd. Need I go on?

Neil
21/06/2001, 7:07 PM
Jim and Rebel yell, You both make fair points.

I'll put my head on the block here and say the disappointing attendances are due to the fickle nature of people in general.
I'd go as far as to say that Irish (Cork people esp.) are the most fickle. As you say, if we are top of the league or in a big cup game we'll have 6,000 at the Cross. I often wonder what happens to these sunshine supporters then. How can they be at the Cross shouting their heads off for City one week and then not even turn up the next.

We might be fickle at times, but that goes for everbody else.
I'm not sure about this. There is a much bigger drop from 6,000 to 1,000 than most other countries supporters, where attendances might drop by 25% or 50% at worst, depending on results.

It all comes back to marketing, and making the prospect of going to the 'Cross more of a day out, and not just offering the supporter the chance of a couple of goals, a burger at half-time and a home win. With better marketing, entertainment and facilities a supporter might think about comaing back even if we don't get a 'couple of goals and win the game'.

But can you imagine City trying new ideas?

EddieL
21/06/2001, 8:00 PM
I agree that 3-4,000 at a LOI match is not great but it has to be said that the days of regular 5-10,000 attendances are long gone.Unfortunately,most people have interests apart from football which seem more attractive to them in this day and age...and then there's the "fans" who would rather watch Man Utd,Liverpool et al in the comforts of the pub.I'm a United fan myself but if it came to a choice beween watching them on Sky sports or Pats,I would pick the latter as ,to me,my local IRISH club comes first and I don't care what the sceptics say to that.Anyway,to get back to the points re attendances,as I said the days of regular bigcrowds are longgone and,in the circumstances,3-4 k at a domestic game is quite good really.

A face
24/06/2001, 3:55 AM
the previous points, and Eddies retort, no, i disagree, i agree the marketing is crap, and that the liverpool, manUre campaign that sweeps the City is an up hill struggle, but with the view point, or opinion, that the cross on Sunday, or Friday night when floodlite, is our own, and if it has pride of place then, it will only get better.
For the Pats games all of three years ago, there was nothing down to "rope in" those fans as it were, they got their corner in the ground and their burger, and then sent home with the final result of the day, good bad or indifferent, ..... the point i am making is they were not recieved properly, they came for the game, money exchanged hands and then on their merry way, cachement area it everything, i think anyway, City is a small club and people can get involved, be it supporters club, fanzine, posting on message boards, singing to your hearts content, meeting in a bar that is labeled as a "City" pub, or organising a bus for an away game for the lads, It is local and should interest all that come there, not just for the game but for the atmosphere, the crack, meeting people and supporting your team, the game if you like it is far better live than on the box, yeah yeah the standard is different, but when your in the ground in full voice, the standard concept goes out the window.
The club under the present board is very young, and the 10,000 odd that the ground has seen could be just a taste of what could be, and i hope that the public of Cork and the club see that, and that it takes off and becomes something great. If you think of it .... the club is not fully estabilished yet, its not, ..... If it becomes professional it will be a great help and all will fall into place, but what it needs is people ... fans to be active and getting involved, supporting and doing their bit, if you like the club and enjoy the game then put it back into it, help out, and enjoy it at the same time, that what is cool about City, it is small, local and ours.

Also, i am after a few pints so i might of ranted on a bit, but City for the league next season.