PDA

View Full Version : Other games Wednesday

One Brian Kerr
05/09/2005, 10:46 AM
Don't think it's been mentioned yet but does anyone hold any hope of Israel or Switzerland slipping up against the Faroes & Cyprus on Wednesday or am I just being a bit too optimistic ? :confused:

SeanieBoy
05/09/2005, 10:50 AM
I don't think it would be a total surprise if the Swiss drew with Cyprus away, can't see the Faroes holding Israel....

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but does anyone hold any hope of Israel or Switzerland slipping up against the Faroes & Cyprus on Wednesday or am I just being a bit too optimistic ? :confused:

Stuttgart88
05/09/2005, 11:10 AM
I think there could be a surprise in either of these games & have felt this for a while. Geysir pointed out the same earlier too I think.

I think Israel would find it tough in bad weather up in the Faroes. If they had to play in the same conditions we did I'm not sure how well they'd have done.

zinedineontour
05/09/2005, 12:16 PM
think switz might slip up me thinks ... did they not only get a 90th minute winner when they played cyprus at home to win 2-1 ?

Stuttgart88
05/09/2005, 12:19 PM
think switz might slip up me thinks ... did they not only get a 90th minute winner when they played cyprus at home to win 2-1 ?Nearly right - 1-0 ! :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
05/09/2005, 12:45 PM
Fair play One Brian Kerr, good thread.
I was going through all the different permutations before the games on Saturday and I came to the conclusion that Cyprus V Switzerland may turn out to be the key game. The Swiss have been stuttering through games of late. Their unconvincing performances at home to Cyprus and Israel leads me to the conclusion that Cypurs will take points off the Swiss. The Cypriots can be tricky when they play at home. If the Swiss drop points there, it may provide either ourselves or France with the initiative.

pineapple stu
05/09/2005, 12:48 PM
A draw isn't beyond the Faroes in Tórshavn at all. They're a handy little team - B36 got through the First qualifying round of the UEFA Cup and were ahead on away goals against a Danish team for a while in the second round before losing 4-3 on aggregate. They suffer because their league games are on astro instead of grass, but a draw is possible.

Switzerland scraped a win against Cyprus at home, so a draw there is possible too. I think Israel are out of it now though - someone's going to win a game, and once that happens, Israel are gone.

For our part, we need to beat Cyprus and beat either France or Switzerland and we're guaranteed in the play-offs, I think. So I'll be keeping an eye on the other results, but they're not essential to our success.

JamesB
05/09/2005, 1:03 PM
I wouldn't say they [Israel] are out of it.

It is not inconcievable that France could beat both us and the swiss and then a draw on the last day between us and the swiss, puts them through.
Better yet we could be the team to pull off two wins (we are at home for both) and again all they need is a draw in the swiss v france game and they are through

Or you could even end up with the top 4 teams all drawing and then God knows what would happen but if it does come down to goal difference, their last two games are against the weakest team in the group. That could give them a chance to pick up goals.

It's not in their hands but the way this group has gone you just never know.

Risteard
06/09/2005, 7:47 AM
How long is this quick reply thing here?
Brilliant.
Can everyone stop trying to simplify the possible permutations.
Its fairly complex like.
Where's that spreadsheet thingy gone?

tetsujin1979
06/09/2005, 8:40 AM
Here - http://members.boards.ie/tetsujin1979/Group4.zip

livehead1
06/09/2005, 8:59 AM
nah, its quite simple really. we go and win the 3 remaining games and we qualify...that should be as complicated as it should be, we got the team, the players, just the temperment in big big game atmospheres where we have previously come up short. if we fail to qualify for these finals then it would be nothing short of a national disgrace bearing in mind the much improved set-up we 'apparently' have, and the obvious ability of some of our players. the vast majority of our side would walk into the swiss squad so a playoff place should be the very least we, as irish fans, should accept

thejollyrodger
06/09/2005, 9:38 AM
yeah quickreply kicks ass, especially since its not shaded out to begin with.

Israel may qualify. Its only the faroes FFS and those fellas wont like the heat down in Tel Aviv. I really dont want that team to go through.

The swiss do look to be running out of steam and should be there for the taking last game if we dont have any major injuries. We have Cyprus away and Switzerland at home which isnt great, more time inbetween would be better.

tonycuna
06/09/2005, 10:13 AM
I think it'll not be surprising if Cyprus will draw with switz. In Switzerland they give a goal just in the late mins.

tonycuna
06/09/2005, 12:27 PM
For the match against Israel, Wicky was disqualified, and both Haas, Streller and Murat Yakin was injured. I don't know if these are things that will go on on tomorrow cause on the official site there are no news after saturday's result.